The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm going to mention my wonderful new toy/instrument of torture for dodgy gait, tight muscles and the like.

A wooden wobble board. I used to use one in Physio way back in the Dark Ages following a horrendous sprain/ligament/tendon buggerage and loved it. So I banged out about fifteen quid on one this week as it was payday.

It's really hard work, the tilt isn't enough to do any damage, but will stretch and/or challenge almost every muscle in your body. As the basic 'stand on it for five minutes' stops being a challenge, there's squats, standing on one leg and playing catch whilst stood on it. And some people use it for press ups and the like. I'm still doing my best not to fall off. And you can swap between doing it barefoot (strengthening the foot muscles in particular) and with trainers on (working more on the legs and backside).

IIRC, the Physio enthused about them because they help

Balance
Posture
Core strength
Proprioception
Tight muscles
Weak muscles
Non responsive/inactive muscles
Dodgy tendons and ligaments
Low impact
Functional strength
Cardiac fitness (not sure if that's due to physical exertion or just the duck I'M GOING TO FALL OFF response, though)

- whilst not contributing towards or exacerbating impact injuries/inflamed areas. Of which I have many.

I think that's everything. Except it's really , really fun - my physio sessions were shared with two huge bikers who had almost identical ankle injuries. We used to play Murderball for ten minutes each time - which is hurling bean bags, basketballs, tennis balls and anything else we could get our hands on at one another whilst all balancing.

Really, really hoping that the gyms open without a hitch, as I need to swim and do some weights as well. I only got as far as a purposeful circuit around the park before I had my vaccine at the weekend. The staff at the GP's looked pleasantly entertained that I turned up to my appointment in full kit - and the 'kind looking' smile I got from a proper runner as he lapped me twice was quite cheering.

I quite like the idea of a Park Walk/possibly trot for a bit but ultimately just get through it without taking all day or collapsing. That's OK on Parkrun, isn't it? I won't be pissing them off by keeping them waiting, will I?

Reactions: 3
I signed up to a half marathon near me on the 8th of August! So hoping it goes ahead. Something to aim for 😃

Reactions: 2
I'm going to mention my wonderful new toy/instrument of torture for dodgy gait, tight muscles and the like.

A wooden wobble board. I used to use one in Physio way back in the Dark Ages following a horrendous sprain/ligament/tendon buggerage and loved it. So I banged out about fifteen quid on one this week as it was payday.

It's really hard work, the tilt isn't enough to do any damage, but will stretch and/or challenge almost every muscle in your body. As the basic 'stand on it for five minutes' stops being a challenge, there's squats, standing on one leg and playing catch whilst stood on it. And some people use it for press ups and the like. I'm still doing my best not to fall off. And you can swap between doing it barefoot (strengthening the foot muscles in particular) and with trainers on (working more on the legs and backside).

Balance
Posture
Core strength
Proprioception
Tight muscles
Weak muscles
Low impact
Functional strength
Cardiac fitness (not sure if that's due to physical exertion or just the duck I'M GOING TO FALL OFF response, though)

- whilst not contributing towards or exacerbating impact injuries/inflamed areas. Of which I have many.

I think that's everything. Except it's really , really fun - my physio sessions were shared with two huge bikers who had almost identical ankle injuries. We used to play Murderball for ten minutes each time - which is hurling bean bags, basketballs, tennis balls and anything else we could get our hands on at one another whilst all balancing.

Really, really hoping that the gyms open without a hitch, as I need to swim and do some weights as well. I only got as far as a purposeful circuit around the park before I had my vaccine at the weekend. The staff at the GP's looked pleasantly entertained that I turned up to my appointment in full kit - and the 'kind looking' smile I got from a proper runner as he lapped me twice was quite cheering.

I quite like the idea of a Park Walk/possibly trot for a bit but ultimately just get through it without taking all day or collapsing. That's OK on Parkrun, isn't it? I won't be pissing them off by keeping them waiting, will I?
Investing in a wobble board!

Yes I have very tight calves - nobody has ever formally told me this - but I can feel how tight they are and I have had issues with my Achilles. I’ll try some strength workouts and hopefully I’ll have positive results like you! Thanks 😊
I’m having problems with my achilles. I have massive calves which I assume make them tight. I have been stretching them to no avail. Now trying some core strengthening exercises
to see if they help

I haven't ran since the end of December and I am finding it so hard to motivate myself to get back out and do it, it's getting warmer and lighter so I've really got no excuse but I just seem to have some sort of mental block preventing me from doing it, even though I know I enjoy it!
They say the step out of the door is the hardest one. Just do it even if it’s only a few hundred metres. The buzz will come back. While I haven’t been working (new job from Monday so I’ll probably be asking for motivation soon) I put my running gear on when I get dressed so I don’t have the excuse of having to change.

The myth that long running = faster running is completely misleading.

If you want to get faster you need to RUN FAST!!!!

Running longer distances will mean you become fitter and therefore able to hold a better pace for those distances but that isn’t improving your actual speed!! Otherwise it’d just be a competition of who can run the highest mileage in the week and that’s not the case.
For me it’s psychological. I can run fast. Even at close to 20 stone I could run 100 metres in a shade over 11 seconds. When I can run again (going to try at the weekend), I will be on the last c25k run of week 7. I know I can go faster but I’m not confident of having the stamina to finish the run.
Another problem is pace generally. I have a pace I swim at a pace I walk at and a pace I run at. I can increase all of them for a short distance but if I try to go slower than my natural pace I feel awkward and uncoordinated so I don’t go too fast early on

Balance
Posture
Core strength
Proprioception
Tight muscles
Weak muscles
Low impact
Functional strength

I used a wobble board and bounced a ball off a wall when I tore my ankle ligament many years ago. Worked wonders and was quite good fun

Last edited:
I’m having problems with my achilles. I have massive calves which I assume make them tight. I have been stretching them to no avail. Now trying some core strengthening exercises
to see if they help

They say the step out of the door is the hardest one. Just do it even if it’s only a few hundred metres. The buzz will come back. While I haven’t been working (new job from Monday so I’ll probably be asking for motivation soon) I put my running gear on when I get dressed so I don’t have the excuse of having to change.

For me it’s psychological. I can run fast. Even at close to 20 stone I could run 100 metres in a shade over 11 seconds. When I can run again (going to try at the weekend), I will be on the last c25k run of week 7. I know I can go faster but I’m not confident of having the stamina to finish the run.
Another problem is pace generally. I have a pace I swim at a pace I walk at and a pace I run at. I can increase all of them for a short distance but if I try to go slower than my natural pace I feel awkward and uncoordinated so I don’t go too fast early on

I used a wobble board and bounced a ball off a wall when I tore my ankle ligament many years ago. Worked wonders and was quite good fun
I can’t help with the Achilles issue - I had sleep boots for 2 years and did all the stretching etc recommended and they’re still tight and I walk on my toes. Proving an issue the more I run but I’ve been forcing myself to change how I naturally run which is sort of helping!

Just done W6R2 and suffering with insanely tight calves!!! I warm up, then do 5 min brisk walk but nothing seems to help! I feel like it’s really hindering my progress now as I have to keep stopping. Any tips? 🙏🏼

Just done W6R2 and suffering with insanely tight calves!!! I warm up, then do 5 min brisk walk but nothing seems to help! I feel like it’s really hindering my progress now as I have to keep stopping. Any tips? 🙏🏼
Hey 👋 have you tried to foam roller ?

622ED22B-E173-4503-A3F3-46A0E4069C66.jpeg
F969BE6C-9484-4054-9AFF-C4B00A929BDC.jpeg

Well I’m dead happy with that time for a 10K, my second fastest 🙌🏼 You can sort of see on my spilts I was struggling to maintain a slower pace at first then I really focused on cadence for the second half and honestly it made it such a breeze. I’ve been following trackclubbabe and she does some great posts about cadence and getting faster, this is the first time I’ve really tried to implement it rather than knackering myself out with long strides. I have never had a 10K where the last km was the quickest. I do need to work on maintaining a pace still but this is definitely progress.

What does everyone like to eat before a long run or on a race day? I tend to run on an empty stomach if it’s just a quick morning run but today I had porridge with banana and a bit of maple syrup about 90 mins before I ran.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
View attachment 458069View attachment 458070
Well I’m dead happy with that time for a 10K, my second fastest 🙌🏼 You can sort of see on my spilts I was struggling to maintain a slower pace at first then I really focused on cadence for the second half and honestly it made it such a breeze. I’ve been following trackclubbabe and she does some great posts about cadence and getting faster, this is the first time I’ve really tried to implement it rather than knackering myself out with long strides. I have never had a 10K where the last km was the quickest. I do need to work on maintaining a pace still but this is definitely progress.

What does everyone like to eat before a long run or on a race day? I tend to run on an empty stomach if it’s just a quick morning run but today I had porridge with banana and a bit of maple syrup about 90 mins before I ran.
Brilliant well done you 👍🏻 I have my porridge every morning no matter what

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Brilliant well done you 👍🏻 I have my porridge every morning no matter what
Thank you so much! Porridge is fab, when I first started running I once prepared for a 10K race for life by having a huge bacon sausage and egg butty 🤦‍♀️ Worst stitch I’ve ever had in my life!!

I completed my first run of 2021 this morning 🙌🏼
2.5 miles with a lot of walking as I was wheezing (I’m probably considered a heavy smoker) and blisters as I stupidly tied my trainers too tight 😆 but I really enjoyed it so I have to make sure I get out a few times a week and build it up, aiming to run the distance without stopping. It should help me cut down on the tobacco too

Reactions: 5
I completed my first run of 2021 this morning 🙌🏼
2.5 miles with a lot of walking as I was wheezing (I’m probably considered a heavy smoker) and blisters as I stupidly tied my trainers too tight 😆 but I really enjoyed it so I have to make sure I get out a few times a week and build it up, aiming to run the distance without stopping. It should help me cut down on the tobacco too
Well done 👏🏻 keep up the good work, you will complete your goal sooner than you think

• Heart
View attachment 458069View attachment 458070

Amazing time well done!! 💪🏼

I did 5k this morning in 28 mins, had loads to do today so didn’t have much time to do more. I tend to run on an empty stomach as well, did you find it helped having food in you? Well I had a coffee with oat milk an hour before I ran

• Heart
Amazing time well done!! 💪🏼

I did 5k this morning in 28 mins, had loads to do today so didn’t have much time to do more. I tend to run on an empty stomach as well, did you find it helped having food in you? Well I had a coffee with oat milk an hour before I ran
I find eating before helps - I have a mini muffin usually 30 mins before I go and that has made a huge difference. Not the healthiest but does the trick!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.