The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Tripped over and floored it 2 mins into my run today, FML 🤦🏾‍♀️ although somehow managed my fastest mile so far, the shame must have powered me through! 😂

Reactions: 1
Okay wise ones I am looking for a wee bit of advice.

A few years ago, I could run about 2-3 miles max, mostly on a treadmill as I live in a hot climate and running outside isn't a great deal of fun.
In a mission to lose weight, I tried to take up running again last year however just kept getting shin splints which left me with pain in my shin/lower leg that I just could not get rid of for ages. I had my gait analysis done, bought shoes that they recommended but the shin splint just did not go away.
I've since lost almost 2 stone since last year, have taken up weight training/HIIT workouts and yoga. I feel a lot fitter and stronger, but I want to get back in to running as it is something I do enjoy as a way of escaping the day a bit.

Do you recommend that I go have my gait analysis redone by another person/shop? Or should I just give up on the idea and admit defeat that running just is not for my shins and I?

Yeah I would definitely get your gait analysis redone. I had posterior shin splints in my right leg last year and the advice from my friend who is a physio was to build my calf strength up then return to running. I just did calf raises (building up to 3 sets of 25), I did them on each leg so there wasn't an imbalance, and I still do them 3 x a week. Since then I haven't had any problems with them. As with a lot of running injuries, shin splints is about addressing the weakness that caused them.

• Heart
I'd also say custom orthotics.

If you've still got that treadmill, you might want to check how level it is, as being slightly on a sideways slope would put stresses on one ankle more than another, especially as your shoes wore in/down over time.

Got my MRI report through today.

Six different locations for bursitis (including two that I haven't had any pain from, so they were news to me), a little cluster of arthritis inflamed but undamaged joints, one tenosynovitis of posterior tibialis tendon and a Partridge in a bleeping Pear Tree evidence of old stuff that isn't of clinical significance now.

In an ideal world, I'd be having hydrotherapy and swimming regularly to deal with this as a backup to weightbearing exercises. But, Plague. So I'm doing mini barre exercises, combined with stretching and my newest shoes/orthotics for when I leave the house to exercise.

Brilliant 👏🏼 Yeah you’ve got loads of time! Also you won’t have to do your long runs through the grimness of Jan and Feb. Have you got a potential training partner or someone to run with?
My partner would run with me I think but I’ve always preferred solo running - when I was half marathon training going out for 2 hours on my own was a great form of therapy!
Brilliant 👏🏼 Yeah you’ve got loads of time! Also you won’t have to do your long runs through the grimness of Jan and Feb. Have you got a potential training partner or someone to run with?
Thank you! I have a friend doing the actual marathon (hopefully) so we can swap training horror stories. My partner would run with me but I'm so slow that I just feel a bit of a bother, and when I was HM training I actually quite liked the long runs and the time on my own - might be different when I'm looking at 4 hours for a long run though :D
Hal Higdon has some good marathon training programmes. I’m doing one at the moment called Novice Supreme and it’s supposed to take you from beginner to marathon distance in 30 weeks, might be worth a shot.
Thank you! I've been looking at these since yesterday - I went for the novice but only so that I can build couch to 5k into the start and do a few weeks solidly at 5-10k before I start. Exciting though!

Thank you! I've been looking at these since yesterday - I went for the novice but only so that I can build couch to 5k into the start and do a few weeks solidly at 5-10k before I start. Exciting though!
His Novice Supreme is 2 plans put together, a starter 12 week programme that builds up your mileage from 2.5km up to a solid 10km and then when you hit the 10km at the end of the 12 weeks then 18 week marathon training starts.
If you can already run a decent distance without stopping or C25K feels too easy that one might be worth making a start with 😊

OMG can’t believe it’s taken me almost a year to find this thread

I love running. have been doing it for 20 years. Speak to me, runners ❤❤❤❤❤

Reactions: 4
Defo recommend - I used Hal Higdon for my second marathon and loved it - was pretty easy to follow although the mileage is quite high towards the end!

Ah I’m so envious of all of you marathon runners! I will have to live vicariously though you via this thread. My husband and SIL are doing the IRL london marathon but I’ll have just have had a baby so I’ll be watching (and probably crying 🥲). Just love the marathon day, it’s so incredible and emotional!

• Heart
I keep getting blisters on the ball of my foot. I have 1000 mile socks which have never caused me an issue before and I’ve just replaced them to see if this made any difference (it doesn’t) my shoes aren’t old/done many miles and I got them properly assessed at a shop. Does anyone know why this is / what I can do to try prevent them? Not only is it incredibly annoying for running it makes just walking around my house hard enough!

I keep getting blisters on the ball of my foot. I have 1000 mile socks which have never caused me an issue before and I’ve just replaced them to see if this made any difference (it doesn’t) my shoes aren’t old/done many miles and I got them properly assessed at a shop. Does anyone know why this is / what I can do to try prevent them? Not only is it incredibly annoying for running it makes just walking around my house hard enough!
Hmm whenever I’ve had unusual blisters it’s usually been in really hot weather where my feet have swelled up loads! Have you changed anything else eg mileage, run frequency? If you look on YouTube there are tons of good videos on how to re-lace your shoes so maybe it’s not that the shoes are too old but maybe the laces have got too tight over time...?

Hmm whenever I’ve had unusual blisters it’s usually been in really hot weather where my feet have swelled up loads! Have you changed anything else eg mileage, run frequency? If you look on YouTube there are tons of good videos on how to re-lace your shoes so maybe it’s not that the shoes are too old but maybe the laces have got too tight over time...?
I’ve been doing couch to 10K but been doing the same distances for a good few weeks now and I run the same amount most weeks (sometimes one extra run depending on how rest days fall!). Ooh no I’ll have a look at that that could be it, have you found taping up the area has made a difference when this has happened to you? Thanks!

I’ve been doing couch to 10K but been doing the same distances for a good few weeks now and I run the same amount most weeks (sometimes one extra run depending on how rest days fall!). Ooh no I’ll have a look at that that could be it, have you found taping up the area has made a difference when this has happened to you? Thanks!
Ah that’s strange - when it’s happened to me I’ve tried to let it heal otherwise it keeps re-opening and takes ages to sort out! I’m not sure whether taping it would help but maybe worth a try (sorry not massively helpful!). Maybe worth a google if you haven’t already or a look on Reddit r/running as there’s usually loads of useful stuff buried in there!

ive been having this exact issue! I thought it was poor socks and shoes but I changed socks and got fitted for stability shoes but was still having the same problem any time I exceed 5k.

I found this article quite interesting where the guy mentioned he was having the same issues and it turns out it was actually due to weak calves and glutes. After a trip to a professional gait analyst (not the ones in running shops) some physiotherapy and some regular excercises to strengthen his glutes and calves he no longer had any issues or need to wear stability shoes.

Here’s the article if you want to check it out:
https://www.trailandkale.com/tips/blisters-gait-not-shoes/

Reactions: 2
Been out 3 times this week, 5k Monday and Tuesday, got my time down to 31:10, ran 5.75km today in just over 36 mins. Feel so much better for it, loving the fact it's light at 7.30 now!

Reactions: 3
Been out 3 times this week, 5k Monday and Tuesday, got my time down to 31:10, ran 5.75km today in just over 36 mins. Feel so much better for it, loving the fact it's light at 7.30 now!
Great progress! And yes morning daylight makes such a difference! Can’t wait for those summer mornings where it’s actually warm. Honestly don’t think I’ve ever hated winter so much as this year in lockdown!

• Heart
ive been having this exact issue! I thought it was poor socks and shoes but I changed socks and got fitted for stability shoes but was still having the same problem any time I exceed 5k.

I found this article quite interesting where the guy mentioned he was having the same issues and it turns out it was actually due to weak calves and glutes. After a trip to a professional gait analyst (not the ones in running shops) some physiotherapy and some regular excercises to strengthen his glutes and calves he no longer had any issues or need to wear stability shoes.

Here’s the article if you want to check it out:
https://www.trailandkale.com/tips/blisters-gait-not-shoes/
Oh that is interesting! Maybe I need to work on my calves and glutes then! Mad how the body all links up isn’t it. I’ll have a read then try make some changes hopefully it helps.

Oh that is interesting! Maybe I need to work on my calves and glutes then! Mad how the body all links up isn’t it. I’ll have a read then try make some changes hopefully it helps.
Worth a shot! Last time I saw a podiatrist they mentioned that I had really tight calves & that my knees knock in when I walk which is exactly what the gait analyst told him so I deffo think thats what’s causing the blisters for me.

I’ve been adding in some strength workouts alongside my runs & one leg and weighted calf raises+ daily calf stretches and foam rolls to try and loosen my calves and I’ve definitely noticed a difference and can run longer before I start to feel the blisters forming.

Worth a shot! Last time I saw a podiatrist they mentioned that I had really tight calves & that my knees knock in when I walk which is exactly what the gait analyst told him so I deffo think thats what’s causing the blisters for me.

I’ve been adding in some strength workouts alongside my runs & one leg and weighted calf raises+ daily calf stretches and foam rolls to try and loosen my calves and I’ve definitely noticed a difference and can run longer before I start to feel the blisters forming.
Yes I have very tight calves - nobody has ever formally told me this - but I can feel how tight they are and I have had issues with my Achilles. I’ll try some strength workouts and hopefully I’ll have positive results like you! Thanks 😊

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.