The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have sunshine and it’s 8 degrees!!

Snow is ok as long as it’s not compacted as it will be like an ice rink. Might make your legs more tired though as you have to use more force to kick off. In the long term that might do you good.
Oh I am jealous!! Think I will give it a go, it’s quite fresh snow so hopefully it won’t be a slip and slide!

I’m going to brave the sunshine and see if my calf holds out
Job done! Very slushy in places and started snowing when I was out but glad i got another one in this week! Good luck for yours.

Reactions: 1
Calf tightened after about 10 minutes. Carried on walking and it eased a bit but a bit sore now. I will give it another couple of days. Snow is forecast this weekend so it could be a good excuse to stay in the warm!

Ooooh - found you!

Got directed here from the Diet thread as I've been bitching about stuff and they're probably bored of me already and they said you were the experts.

Has anybody got some recommendations for neutral (as they're going to have orthotics in them in the end), cushioned but not too cushioned, vaguely firm, deep heel cupped, men's running shoes that don't look frankly ridiculous on a fat, middle aged bird who would rather be anywhere than being seen to be exercising in public. And preferably for less than a week's wages? Plus suitable off the shelf Amazon orthotics to keep me going until I have the fancy schmancy customs?

Context: Psoriatic Arthritis particularly targeting entheses/tendons (right hip tendinosis exacerbated by slipping on water into a full side split on the rear leg - my entire thigh slammed down on the ground and something went POP, original hospital said 'it's your age, dear - have you considered losing some weight?'), SI joint dysfunction for 18 months afterwards, finally clicked loose about 3 months ago, frequent complainer of plantar fasciitis, posterior tibial tendon inflammation, shinsplints, etc). Hypermobile/EDS III. And an MRI last week showing intermetatarsal bursitis. Or, in short, I'm a bloody wreck from at least the waist down. I'm fat, too.

My Podiatry appointment for custom orthotics is sometime in late April, assuming the Plague calms down a bit and my current Adidas 'those will do' aren't up to the job of actually going anywhere. I have absolutely no intention of moving faster than my current 18 minute mile in the immediate future, but the Podiatrist told me over the phone when he was giving me the good news that I haven't actually fractured any metatarsals from working for a living that, in the meantime, I should get some 'Proper Good Running Shoes' (his expertise is feet, not grammatically pleasing sentences, apparently).

As you can probably tell, I'd rather be in the gym. But until Plague fucks off, if I can't find something that helps, I'm stuck indoors with lacrosse balls, therabands and foam roller and continually decreasing base levels of fitness.

Now I've stopped grumbling, I'm open to the possibility of going back to running at some point in the future, but right now, even C25K would result in yet more damage. Hence the need for running shoes that will take orthotics. And I'm off to reading the rest of this thread....

(PS: I know I need to be seen in a proper running shop - but they aren't open and I hated my last pair of Brooks with a passion).
This doesn't answer your question but have you considered cycling? It's a bit easier on the joints and feet. Also for your plantar fascitis, you can get special foot and leg braces that you wear at night to help with that.

This doesn't answer your question but have you considered cycling? It's a bit easier on the joints and feet. Also for your plantar fascitis, you can get special foot and leg braces that you wear at night to help with that.
I don't mind recumbent cycling, but the real thing? Unfortunately I'd be pancaked across the tarmac by the time I reached the end of the street (genuinely so, it's not a cycling friendly area and I'm not 22 and standing on the pedals down 25% hills offroad anymore). Whilst I love the theory, I did work out that two wheels and the laws of gravity are not my friends anymore (a combination of getting to the offroad bits from my old home and motorbiking - and having to get off rather sharpish at 40mph - helped with that realisation). My favourite thing of all in the gym is indoor rowing (I'm not too bad at it, either). A bit of actual weightbearing exercise is probably a good idea as well.

I've got the Podiatry appointment for (probably, according to them on the phone) hopefully prescribing custom orthotics to take into account everything.

Ooooh - found you!

Got directed here from the Diet thread as I've been bitching about stuff and they're probably bored of me already and they said you were the experts.

Has anybody got some recommendations for neutral (as they're going to have orthotics in them in the end), cushioned but not too cushioned, vaguely firm, deep heel cupped, men's running shoes that don't look frankly ridiculous on a fat, middle aged bird who would rather be anywhere than being seen to be exercising in public. And preferably for less than a week's wages? Plus suitable off the shelf Amazon orthotics to keep me going until I have the fancy schmancy customs?

Context: Psoriatic Arthritis particularly targeting entheses/tendons (right hip tendinosis exacerbated by slipping on water into a full side split on the rear leg - my entire thigh slammed down on the ground and something went POP, original hospital said 'it's your age, dear - have you considered losing some weight?'), SI joint dysfunction for 18 months afterwards, finally clicked loose about 3 months ago, frequent complainer of plantar fasciitis, posterior tibial tendon inflammation, shinsplints, etc). Hypermobile/EDS III. And an MRI last week showing intermetatarsal bursitis. Or, in short, I'm a bloody wreck from at least the waist down. I'm fat, too.

My Podiatry appointment for custom orthotics is sometime in late April, assuming the Plague calms down a bit and my current Adidas 'those will do' aren't up to the job of actually going anywhere. I have absolutely no intention of moving faster than my current 18 minute mile in the immediate future, but the Podiatrist told me over the phone when he was giving me the good news that I haven't actually fractured any metatarsals from working for a living that, in the meantime, I should get some 'Proper Good Running Shoes' (his expertise is feet, not grammatically pleasing sentences, apparently).

As you can probably tell, I'd rather be in the gym. But until Plague fucks off, if I can't find something that helps, I'm stuck indoors with lacrosse balls, therabands and foam roller and continually decreasing base levels of fitness.

Now I've stopped grumbling, I'm open to the possibility of going back to running at some point in the future, but right now, even C25K would result in yet more damage. Hence the need for running shoes that will take orthotics. And I'm off to reading the rest of this thread....

(PS: I know I need to be seen in a proper running shop - but they aren't open and I hated my last pair of Brooks with a passion).
Would just like to add, in case it helps....when I go out I don't pay any attention other people's feet, or the rest of them for that matter. I just want the to keep a 2m distance and then I'm on my way.

• Heart
Too much snow here to run, about 2ft over the weekend! Doesn’t look like it’s stopping until Thursday, actually really missing getting out and getting my runs in!! 😩

Finally got 3km in under 20 mins (including staggered walk /run) 🎉
Was about ready to give up at 18 mins until I saw how close it was and sprinted the last 45 seconds! Just need to work on longer periods of continuous running - it's definitely more a mental block than physical that makes me want to stop.
Screenshot_20210210-163542.png

Reactions: 6
I've done it.

I've ordered some shoes. Merrell Crushers for the support (overpronation). I've always preferred the feel of a lower heel than in women's shoes and I think the men's ones will be a better fit width ways; I'm also heavy. I bunged some orthotics with good arch and metatarsal support in the Amazon basket as well, as I won't manage to get to April/May as I am (hospital appointment) and the blurb says the standard insole is removable. Oh, plus some short compression socks, as I like the way they feel - I'll use them for work if I don't get on with them in the running shoes.

I really hope nobody's interested in how they look. They're red.

If they work out well, I'll see about getting gait analysis done - hopefully through Podiatry/Biomechanics at the hospital but, if not, when running shops open up again.

They're allegedly coming on Wednesday.

Hoping to be able to run again tomorrow. my calf tightened again last week. Usually I’d go swimming but can’t obviously so this week I have done various walks 2, 3, 6, 8 and 10 miles. My feet hurt to buggery after the 10 yesterday. Fingers crossed the walking has strengthened the calf and I will have no problems. I will stretch it and stick some deep heat on too.

First run today after a week off because of the cold and ice (fair weather runner) the first half was into freezing wind and was the hardest thing plus I could not stop needing to spit but with covid was just trying to drink it down. Not great. Second half wind behind was an absolute breeze and i enjoyed it. Back tomorrow to get back on track!

First run today after a week off because of the cold and ice (fair weather runner) the first half was into freezing wind and was the hardest thing plus I could not stop needing to spit but with covid was just trying to drink it down. Not great. Second half wind behind was an absolute breeze and i enjoyed it. Back tomorrow to get back on track!
The wind here was so strong yesterday. It was behind me for about 4 of my 10 mile walk. I’m a big lad and it was pushing me along sometimes. Glad I wasn’t running into it

Ooooh! Ooooh! Oooooh!

I did some more stretching last night after my medication/injection and Psoriasis treatment (which involves a bit of massage in application). When I did a controlled twist, I put a tiny bit of pressure on my hip to deepen it a little; not only did my SI joint pop, so did a bunch of others around the sacrum - and THEN as I didn't move immediately, there was a series of clunks in my lower spine that felt like things were 'dropping' towards the bed.

I woke up without pain for the first time in what feels like forever AND my hips feel like they're level and working equally. What's more, I sat cross legged to do my morning stretches and my right hip opened up enough for it to touch the floor, which it hasn't done for about 4 years.

I'm almost excited for the running shoes and orthotics to arrive now!

Reactions: 3
I entered the virtual London marathon to get my mojo back and already feel like it was a bad idea 😂 gonna start couch to 5k again, go from scratch...8 months is enough time right?!!

Reactions: 2
Week 4 Day 2 tomorrow for me on my couch to 10K. Not finding it to difficult legs only ached after my first run a couple weeks ago so going good.

I entered the virtual London marathon to get my mojo back and already feel like it was a bad idea 😂 gonna start couch to 5k again, go from scratch...8 months is enough time right?!!
Brilliant 👏🏼 Yeah you’ve got loads of time! Also you won’t have to do your long runs through the grimness of Jan and Feb. Have you got a potential training partner or someone to run with?

Hal Higdon has some good marathon training programmes. I’m doing one at the moment called Novice Supreme and it’s supposed to take you from beginner to marathon distance in 30 weeks, might be worth a shot.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.