The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So happy to find this thread! I’ve gotten back into running again since lockdown. I’m just about to finish ct5k and have signed up for a 10k late in the summer. Can anyone recommend a good app to build up to running 10k?

Reactions: 2
I have been looking too. I have seen a couch to 10k app which I will think about but if you google after couch 2 5k lots come up of various lengths and strengths

Reactions: 1
I’m after some advice.... I’ll try & keep it short!!
Last summer I started the couch to 5k all was going well for the first 4 weeks or so then I got shin splints 😩 so took 2 full weeks off & went back slowly but still kept getting them gave up 😢
I’m desperate to start again but really scared they will come back, any tips on what I could maybe do to avoid getting them again ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ☺

I’m after some advice.... I’ll try & keep it short!!
Last summer I started the couch to 5k all was going well for the first 4 weeks or so then I got shin splints 😩 so took 2 full weeks off & went back slowly but still kept getting them gave up 😢
I’m desperate to start again but really scared they will come back, any tips on what I could maybe do to avoid getting them again ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated ☺
I’d look at doing some strengthening work on your gluten and see if you can get a physio appointment... even remotely they’ll be able to give advice

I did a 5km trail run tomorrow and currently soaking in the bath cos will need to go out tomorrow as well. I normally do Sat/Mon/Wed, but didn't go out yesterday. Cos of the weather.

Can anyone recommend me a jacket? I don't want to spend a fortune, but needs something lightweight, shower proof and won't just build up condensation cos I'm a hot runner...
I have a lightweight 'wind proof' jacket I got from Decathlon which is good. It was inexpensive too. I despise running in the wind. Last week because of the direction the wind was blowing in, the last 2km of my 5k route was running directly into it on a plain between two fields and it was absolute hell 😂 the jacket really does protect you though which I find impressive for how light it is! I should know being on the North West coast, can be quite extreme here at times!

Jacket is shower proof too although I don't bother with it unless it's absolutely pissing it down. I've just been for a run in the rain now in a sports t shirt, when I do wear anything more I always regret it once I've warmed up. Learnt this from doing a 10k once and it was like -2 and snowing, I put loads of layers on then spent most of the run trying to take them off 😂

The myth that long running = faster running is completely misleading.

If you want to get faster you need to RUN FAST!!!!

Running longer distances will mean you become fitter and therefore able to hold a better pace for those distances but that isn’t improving your actual speed!! Otherwise it’d just be a competition of who can run the highest mileage in the week and that’s not the case.

Reactions: 3
I have a lightweight 'wind proof' jacket I got from Decathlon which is good. It was inexpensive too. I despise running in the wind. Last week because of the direction the wind was blowing in, the last 2km of my 5k route was running directly into it on a plain between two fields and it was absolute hell 😂 the jacket really does protect you though which I find impressive for how light it is! I should know being on the North West coast, can be quite extreme here at times!

Jacket is shower proof too although I don't bother with it unless it's absolutely pissing it down. I've just been for a run in the rain now in a sports t shirt, when I do wear anything more I always regret it once I've warmed up. Learnt this from doing a 10k once and it was like -2 and snowing, I put loads of layers on then spent most of the run trying to take them off 😂
Ooh I'm north west coast as well? England or Scotland?

I actually bought one last night, from new balance, but thanks! 👍

The myth that long running = faster running is completely misleading.

If you want to get faster you need to RUN FAST!!!!

Running longer distances will mean you become fitter and therefore able to hold a better pace for those distances but that isn’t improving your actual speed!! Otherwise it’d just be a competition of who can run the highest mileage in the week and that’s not the case.
Yeah I mean that's true, but to improve 5k time you need to become fitter? I see that the person was asking about becoming faster but also said about improving their 5k time.
Idk, at least for me the issue with improving my 5k time is not that I can't run faster, it's that I'm not fit enough to keep the fast pace for the whole run so I do think running longer distances helps

Last edited:
Hello! The weather is getting better so I'm going to start running on my lunch break in the park

Any advice for stretches before and/ or after?

Yeah I mean that's true, but to improve 5k time you need to become fitter? I see that the person was asking about becoming faster but also said about improving their 5k time.
Idk, at least for me the issue with improving my 5k time is not that I can't run faster, it's that I'm not fit enough to keep the fast pace for the whole run so I do think running longer distances helps
Yes you need to run longer distances to improve fitness and ability to run for longer periods of time but that will only get you so far without the speed work.

I am getting slowly faster. My old PT said if you wanted get faster and run further you need to start including Hiit workouts.

Yes you need to run longer distances to improve fitness and ability to run for longer periods of time but that will only get you so far without the speed work.
I agree, intervals are the key to improving your fitness (VO2 Max) and your speed

Any one got any good YouTube channel running recommendations?

I love The Run Experience guys. I think their advice has helped me with my calf issues (that and a new pair of trainers) at last.

Can’t remember how I came across them. Any others out there ?

Is anyone else here signed up for great north run? It is sounding like it is going ahead for this September! Really need to put together a training plan 😬

More importantly WHEN WILL PARKRUN MAKE A RETURN I’ve been training regularly for a year I am due a PB

• Heart
Reactions: 9
More importantly WHEN WILL PARKRUN MAKE A RETURN I’ve been training regularly for a year I am due a PB
I was dreaming of park run this morning 😂 I miss it so much! Such a fab start to the weekend! I’m guessing not til after June!

Is anyone else here signed up for great north run? It is sounding like it is going ahead for this September! Really need to put together a training plan 😬
Would love to run the great north run, is it a ballot for entry?

ETA ignore me I’ve just seen it’s the entrants from 2020 and already oversubscribed! Maybe 2022 then 😂

I was dreaming of park run this morning 😂 I miss it so much! Such a fab start to the weekend! I’m guessing not til after June!

Would love to run the great north run, is it a ballot for entry?

ETA ignore me I’ve just seen it’s the entrants from 2020 and already oversubscribed! Maybe 2022 then 😂
Hopefully you can enter for 2022! I am equal parts excited and terrified. Most I've ever ran is 10k and that was the better part of a year ago.

Any training tips for a half are very welcome!

• Heart
Hopefully you can enter for 2022! I am equal parts excited and terrified. Most I've ever ran is 10k and that was the better part of a year ago.

Any training tips for a half are very welcome!
You’ll be fine! If you’ve ran a 10K you can run a half 😊 I’ve ran two previously. The best time I got was 2h 16m. I’m not an expert but what I did to train was to up my regular morning run to 5/6 miles 4 or 5 days a week then I did one long run on the weekend which I gradually upped the mileage on. Tbh I think the most I actually ran though before the half was 10 miles! I had to fit it in around a pretty hectic work schedule which takes me all over the place and not always in the most practical locations to run so I did my best. I trained my legs when I was at the gym too.

I really want to sign up to another half, gonna have a look at my running club’s site and see if they’ve got any events up yet 😊

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.