The Running Thread 🏃‍♀️

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
First run of 2021 & first run in 6 months, I forgot how much I enjoy it! Evidently I’ve enjoyed my food abit too much aswel in the last 6 months 😂.

Reactions: 7
Got about 3/4 of a mile into and Achilles tighten up. Still sore now 9 hours later. It didn’t feel right before I started. Sad as I was well motivated today. Week 7 will start as soon as I can
Oooft take it easy , you don’t want it to get any worse. Hope you make a speedy recovery 🙏🏻

First run of 2021 & first run in 6 months, I forgot how much I enjoy it! Evidently I’ve enjoyed my food abit too much aswel in the last 6 months 😂.
I gained a bit of weight since Xmas, iv only ran 5times in January, started off with the bad weather really didn’t want to hurt myself or have any kind of injury that would keep me away from running, but then laziness set in then low self-confidence I didn’t want to go out running as people would see how much weight iv put on 🥴 each morning I have a fight with myself

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Oooft take it easy , you don’t want it to get any worse. Hope you make a speedy recovery 🙏🏻

I gained a bit of weight since Xmas, iv only ran 5times in January, started off with the bad weather really didn’t want to hurt myself or have any kind of injury that would keep me away from running, but then laziness set in then low self-confidence I didn’t want to go out running as people would see how much weight iv put on 🥴 each morning I have a fight with myself
Did some strengthening stretches this morning which hurt but will hopefully help. went out for a walk and did 8 miles. Not as challenging as it sounds. Total elevation was 11 feet as it’s flat here. No trouble from the injury but everything else hurts now!

I worried about my appearance when I went back to swimming. Just said to myself if I want to change that I had to do something It was a bit chicken and egg. Had similar qualms when I started couch to 5k. I won’t be quick, people will look at this overweight guy walking and shake their heads etc. I had nothing to worry about. It’s a good time to get out as there are lots of first timers out there who are probably in a similar position and remember even experienced runners started somewhere and the flashy one running twice as fast as you in their Lycra and expensive trainers was quite possibly an overweight beginner once. Most people will admire you for trying to change yourself.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Did some strengthening stretches this morning which hurt but will hopefully help. went out for a walk and did 8 miles. Not as challenging as it sounds. Total elevation was 11 feet as it’s flat here. No trouble from the injury but everything else hurts now!

I worried about my appearance when I went back to swimming. Just said to myself if I want to change that I had to do something It was a bit chicken and egg. Had similar qualms when I started couch to 5k. I won’t be quick, people will look at this overweight guy walking and shake their heads etc. I had nothing to worry about. It’s a good time to get out as there are lots of first timers out there who are probably in a similar position and remember even experienced runners started somewhere and the flashy one running twice as fast as you in their Lycra and expensive trainers was quite possibly an overweight beginner once. Most people will admire you for trying to change yourself.
I second this! Honestly, nobody cares 😊 aww, I really miss the atmosphere of a race day. Words of encouragement from total strangers have got me through some really tough parts of a run where I've been thinking why am I even doing this I'm never going to be a 'proper runner'.

Reactions: 4
I second this! Honestly, nobody cares 😊 aww, I really miss the atmosphere of a race day. Words of encouragement from total strangers have got me through some really tough parts of a run where I've been thinking why am I even doing this I'm never going to be a 'proper runner'.
I really want Park Run to start up again. I looked enviously at Facebook posts of friends doing it. Now I’m in a position that I could manage they are cancelled. Then if we didn't have COVID I wouldn’t be running

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I really want Park Run to start up again. I looked enviously at Facebook posts of friends doing it. Now I’m in a position that I could manage they are cancelled. Then if we didn't have COVID I wouldn’t be running
Omg me too, was thinking this on Saturday. I love my local Park Run, it's a completely flat out and back along the seafront so you can really push for a PB. I hope it does get to resume at some point this year but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't, mine has quite a small turn out usually around 50 of us, but I know some are in the hundreds.

Reactions: 1
Starting Run 50 in Feb tomorrow. Really hoping I can start off well, am aiming for 6km 😑
I managed 5.6km. Probably could have managed 6km, but my route had reached a natural end and mentally didn't want to 'start' again.

I managed 5.6km. Probably could have managed 6km, but my route had reached a natural end and mentally didn't want to 'start' again.
I have a similar issue. When the app says it’s time to stop running I think I’ll carry on for a minute or two but it instantly becomes harder. So I stop and feel I could have kept going.

Omg me too, was thinking this on Saturday. I love my local Park Run, it's a completely flat out and back along the seafront so you can really push for a PB. I hope it does get to resume at some point this year but it wouldn't surprise me if it doesn't, mine has quite a small turn out usually around 50 of us, but I know some are in the hundreds.
Don’t think we have one in our pancake flat town. Nearest I know of is about 20 miles away with some slopes which would be a new experience. Still want to try it though

W5R1 completed - I don't know how the C25K program works, but it does!!

I dare say I enjoyed it this evening 😬

Reactions: 5
I have a similar issue. When the app says it’s time to stop running I think I’ll carry on for a minute or two but it instantly becomes harder. So I stop and feel I could have kept going.
I can't even blame an app cos I don't use one 🤣 I just got to my front door before I dared look at my phone to see my distance. I had to change my planned route cos of a tractor!

Felt really good though, even managed some inclines.

Reactions: 2
W5R1 completed - I don't know how the C25K program works, but it does!!

I dare say I enjoyed it this evening 😬
It builds you up in small increments. Increases the running slightly and slowly reduces the rest. Two 5 minutes and and an 8 minutes is 18 so 20 minutes is only running through one rest. It’s tricked your mind into thinking it’s easy. It’s probably like getting addicted to drugs, a bit here and there increasing over time until you can’t understand how you managed without it

Ooooh - found you!

Got directed here from the Diet thread as I've been bitching about stuff and they're probably bored of me already and they said you were the experts.

Has anybody got some recommendations for neutral (as they're going to have orthotics in them in the end), cushioned but not too cushioned, vaguely firm, deep heel cupped, men's running shoes that don't look frankly ridiculous on a fat, middle aged bird who would rather be anywhere than being seen to be exercising in public. And preferably for less than a week's wages? Plus suitable off the shelf Amazon orthotics to keep me going until I have the fancy schmancy customs?

Context: Psoriatic Arthritis particularly targeting entheses/tendons (right hip tendinosis exacerbated by slipping on water into a full side split on the rear leg - my entire thigh slammed down on the ground and something went POP, original hospital said 'it's your age, dear - have you considered losing some weight?'), SI joint dysfunction for 18 months afterwards, finally clicked loose about 3 months ago, frequent complainer of plantar fasciitis, posterior tibial tendon inflammation, shinsplints, etc). Hypermobile/EDS III. And an MRI last week showing intermetatarsal bursitis. Or, in short, I'm a bloody wreck from at least the waist down. I'm fat, too.

My Podiatry appointment for custom orthotics is sometime in late April, assuming the Plague calms down a bit and my current Adidas 'those will do' aren't up to the job of actually going anywhere. I have absolutely no intention of moving faster than my current 18 minute mile in the immediate future, but the Podiatrist told me over the phone when he was giving me the good news that I haven't actually fractured any metatarsals from working for a living that, in the meantime, I should get some 'Proper Good Running Shoes' (his expertise is feet, not grammatically pleasing sentences, apparently).

As you can probably tell, I'd rather be in the gym. But until Plague fucks off, if I can't find something that helps, I'm stuck indoors with lacrosse balls, therabands and foam roller and continually decreasing base levels of fitness.

Now I've stopped grumbling, I'm open to the possibility of going back to running at some point in the future, but right now, even C25K would result in yet more damage. Hence the need for running shoes that will take orthotics. And I'm off to reading the rest of this thread....

(PS: I know I need to be seen in a proper running shop - but they aren't open and I hated my last pair of Brooks with a passion).

Last edited:
I don’t know much about where to get them but my science of running book recommends bigger heels for certain conditions so you are on the right path.I think there are places online that can assess your needs via video and conversation. I know fluffyglitterbug was looking last week so our resident soon to be french fry might be able to help

• Heart
Ooooh - found you!

Got directed here from the Diet thread as I've been bitching about stuff and they're probably bored of me already and they said you were the experts.

Has anybody got some recommendations for neutral (as they're going to have orthotics in them in the end), cushioned but not too cushioned, vaguely firm, deep heel cupped, men's running shoes that don't look frankly ridiculous on a fat, middle aged bird who would rather be anywhere than being seen to be exercising in public. And preferably for less than a week's wages? Plus suitable off the shelf Amazon orthotics to keep me going until I have the fancy schmancy customs?

Context: Psoriatic Arthritis particularly targeting entheses/tendons (right hip tendinosis exacerbated by slipping on water into a full side split on the rear leg - my entire thigh slammed down on the ground and something went POP, original hospital said 'it's your age, dear - have you considered losing some weight?'), SI joint dysfunction for 18 months afterwards, finally clicked loose about 3 months ago, frequent complainer of plantar fasciitis, posterior tibial tendon inflammation, shinsplints, etc). Hypermobile/EDS III. And an MRI last week showing intermetatarsal bursitis. Or, in short, I'm a bloody wreck from at least the waist down. I'm fat, too.

My Podiatry appointment for custom orthotics is sometime in late April, assuming the Plague calms down a bit and my current Adidas 'those will do' aren't up to the job of actually going anywhere. I have absolutely no intention of moving faster than my current 18 minute mile in the immediate future, but the Podiatrist told me over the phone when he was giving me the good news that I haven't actually fractured any metatarsals from working for a living that, in the meantime, I should get some 'Proper Good Running Shoes' (his expertise is feet, not grammatically pleasing sentences, apparently).

As you can probably tell, I'd rather be in the gym. But until Plague fucks off, if I can't find something that helps, I'm stuck indoors with lacrosse balls, therabands and foam roller and continually decreasing base levels of fitness.

Now I've stopped grumbling, I'm open to the possibility of going back to running at some point in the future, but right now, even C25K would result in yet more damage. Hence the need for running shoes that will take orthotics. And I'm off to reading the rest of this thread....

(PS: I know I need to be seen in a proper running shop - but they aren't open and I hated my last pair of Brooks with a passion).
I'd recommend doing some research yourself and look at heel drop heights and compare to your brooks etc. Neutral shoes off the top of my head include brooks ghost, and asics nimbus, and saucony kinvarna, and Nike pegasus etc. If you like some bounce/cushion hokas could be a good one for you. That said the more padded the shoe the more 'ridiculous' it'll look. Just remember that everyone else is just focusing on their own run/ walk and won't be looking at you. An account I like to follow who's very body positive is @thelongweighdownwithjess.
Unfortunately, especially if you can't get fitted properly/try a range of shoes while being fitted it's going to be some trial and error. The other option is seeing whether you've got anything like running warehouse. In Australia you can send back any shoe you've ordered from them within 30 days even if it's lightly worn.

• Heart
Technically I went on a “brisk walk” but there’s not a thread for that. Can someone please tell me if this is good?
should I be more in the fatburn zone of is cardio better?
I don’t really know what happens in the different zones but any excercise is good. Brisk walking is classed as moderate excercise and getting your heart rate up for a while will do you good in the long term.
Well done and welcome

I don’t really know what happens in the different zones but any excercise is good. Brisk walking is classed as moderate excercise and getting your heart rate up for a while will do you good in the long term.
Well done and welcome
Thank you so much! That’s very true. I think walking is much better than sitting on your arse so I guess it’s all good! 😘

Reactions: 2
Technically I went on a “brisk walk” but there’s not a thread for that. Can someone please tell me if this is good?
should I be more in the fatburn zone of is cardio better?
Depends on what your goals are. That walk will increase your aerobic fitness but not your anaerobic fitness which means in the long run it'll help support longer, and endurance runs instead of sprints. If you keep it up the same walk at the same intensity will eventually move into the fat burn category (e.g. A lower heart rate). This will show your overall fitness improving (you can do higher intensity but get the same heart rate output).

I have sunshine and it’s 8 degrees!!

Snow is ok as long as it’s not compacted as it will be like an ice rink. Might make your legs more tired though as you have to use more force to kick off. In the long term that might do you good.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.