The Royal Family

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The BP upgrade is being funded by the Sovereign Grant, which is a proportion of the profits of the Crown Estate - that being owned by the Crown, not the government or the public. The Sovereign Grant also only represents 25% of the Crown Estate profits, the remaining being being held by The Treasury to form part of the governments income.

The Crown owns the Royal Palaces (not the Queen, but the Crown as in each successive monarch) and as such the Crown assets are used to fund the Crown. With additional estates of Lancaster to further fund the monarch and Cornwall to fund the Heir.

This is the Crown funding their costs, and still contributing to public coffers by paying tax on their income also.

Also, refering to the art collection, it doesn't all belong to the Queen personally, merely held in trust by the monarch. Only parts of the collection are personally the Queens.

And in terms of the crown Estate assets, which contribute to the public purse, in the event of the monarchy being abolished, all those assets would quickly be sold off, probably on the cheap to friends of the governing Tories to their mates, like when the Royal Mail was sold on the cheap.

Now I'm not condoning Prince Andrews actions, and I certainly don't endorse him being funded as a senior royal any longer, but overall the current way of finding the Royal Family is probably the best way it can be. Because if you say the Royals have to be totally self-funded without anything going via the Government, then you have to say they the right to retain the whole Crown Estate profits for their funding as a minimum, which would actually mean less money going to the Treasury.
‘The taxpayer is facing a bill for £359 million for an upgrade of Buckingham Palace while the Queen, one of the richest people in the country, contributes nothing. Meanwhile she pockets the millions in admission fees from visitors. It makes the £2.4 million of taxpayers’ money being spent for Harry and Meghan on Frogmore Cottage look like small change.’ (Daily Mirror)

‘So while the taxpayer signs off £359 million, the Palace continues to pocket all the lucrative stream of entrance fees to the building, to other royal palaces and to the Royal Collection. To paraphrase Janet Daly, it is theirs when it is an income stream, it is ours when it needs to be repaired’ ...And What Do You Do? What the Royal Family Don’t Want You To Know’ by Norman Baker

• Heart
Reactions: 5
‘The taxpayer is facing a bill for £359 million for an upgrade of Buckingham Palace while the Queen, one of the richest people in the country, contributes nothing. Meanwhile she pockets the millions in admission fees from visitors. It makes the £2.4 million of taxpayers’ money being spent for Harry and Meghan on Frogmore Cottage look like small change.’ (Daily Mirror)

‘So while the taxpayer signs off £359 million, the Palace continues to pocket all the lucrative stream of entrance fees to the building, to other royal palaces and to the Royal Collection. To paraphrase Janet Daly, it is theirs when it is an income stream, it is ours when it needs to be repaired’ ...And What Do You Do? What the Royal Family Don’t Want You To Know’ by Norman Baker
Also Daily Mirror: In a statement released by the Queen on Saturday, she said: "The Duke and Duchess of Sussex have shared their wish to repay Sovereign Grant expenditure for the refurbishment of Frogmore Cottage, which will remain their UK family home."

Frogmore renovations were funded through the Sovereign Grant. And the royals were entitled to use the Grant for that if they wished. So it wasn't extra taxpayer money specifically for the renovations, it was all part of the Sovereign Grant that was there for the Royals.

The Royal Collection Trust receives the income from the entry to Royal Palaces and such, not Buckingham Palace or the Royal Family. It is used to maintain and enhance the collection, managing the collection for viewing, loaning etc. This includes the several hundred staff employed by the RCT including curators and conservationists and the people who work at the Royal Residences and Queen's Gallery's managing the visitors etc. So again, it isn't extra money going to the Queen's pocket.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Remember Waity Katie and Work Shy Wills?
Eurgh, the main players in the BRF are such a disappointment.

Reactions: 8
He is so lazy! Him and Kate. The only reason the conversation has changed and people are lapping up whatever the Cambs do is because Meghan and Harry have made such an almighty balls up.
Exactly. I don’t understand the level of the adoration though. I think he isn’t an honourable man, not just about the business with Rose, allegedly of course, lol, but what he arranged with the press re M&H Dirty trick. I think it was a journalist from the Times tweeted about it and then deleted it. Seemingly the journalist claimed that everyone knew about the affair.William reached out to senior figures in the media to side with the palace over M&H by peddling negative coverage. There’s a media blackout imposed regarding William and an allegation.

I can’t edit, so I just want to add a bit regarding the media blackout. and Prince William. Nazir Afzal, OBE and former Chief Crown Prosecutor, claimed that he overheard a conversation between two very senior media people about the imposed media blackout. He said we should all be concerned, whatever the allegation., as it wasn’t good for freedom of the press. He didn’t say what the allegation was. Someone replied to his tweet that they had heard about it.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
Exactly. I don’t understand the level of the adoration though. I think he isn’t an honourable man, not just about the business with Rose, allegedly of course, lol, but what he arranged with the press re M&H Dirty trick. I think it was a journalist from the Times tweeted about it and then deleted it. Seemingly the journalist claimed that everyone knew about the affair.William reached out to senior figures in the media to side with the palace over M&H by peddling negative coverage. There’s a media blackout imposed regarding William and an allegation.
Another allegation or the Rose thing?

There's many a blackout/D notice for the Cambs, even more so for the whole family.
I often wonder what the press is sitting on.

Reactions: 11

There's many a blackout/D notice for the Cambs, even more so for the whole family.
Aren't D Notices the norm for them all? They can't all be sitting on a minefield of salacious tales.

Reactions: 4

D notices are for stories that could risk the nation’s security. I doubt who William is bonking has much to do with the safety or the U.K.
Unless of course that person is a higher ranking member of a terrorist organisation!

Reactions: 9
D notices are for stories that could risk the nation’s security. I doubt who William is bonking has much to do with the safety or the U.K.
Unless of course that person is a higher ranking member of a terrorist organisation!
Correct. They are also not legally enforceable so even if they somehow managed to get one released about the Royals the press have absolutely no obligation to abide by it.

Also they are now called DSMA Notices

Reactions: 3
The Rose story has rumour started by Meghan’s camp written all over it. If I recall correctly the Canadian gossiper blogger Lainey was one of the people covering it a lot. She has links to the Mulroneys.

Will and Kate haven’t always worked much and they’re a bit dull. But they’re not Andrew, on the plus side!

Provided they develop an Anne work ethic and don’t cause a scandal I rather like them.

• Wow
The Rose story has rumour started by Meghan’s camp written all over it. If I recall correctly the Canadian gossiper blogger Lainey was one of the people covering it a lot. She has links to the Mulroneys.

Will and Kate haven’t always worked much and they’re a bit dull. But they’re not Andrew, on the plus side!

Provided they develop an Anne work ethic and don’t cause a scandal I rather like them.
They will be forced to do more now with M&H gone and Andrew gone and most others into their 70's. It's quite right that they should he made to do much more than they have been. They will be the ones who will benefit the most and they want George on the Throne so they need to stop the ' stay at home parents' crap and do their bit.
I do think both the Cambridges and the Sussexes were leaking stories against each other, which is such a self serving thing to do. Apparently Charles' household does the same too, against his own sons!
If all they can do all day is try and outdo each other with stories in the press about how terrible the other parties are maybe they should be putting more effort in to demonstrating their use to us and why they arent all just totsl wastes of space.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Wills and Kate have stepped up their work load since Harry emigrated.... they must have a lot of decisions to make about how much to take on while the children are small.

• Sick
Correct. They are also not legally enforceable so even if they somehow managed to get one released about the Royals the press have absolutely no obligation to abide by it.

Also they are now called DSMA Notices

I suppose they could say it threatens the status of the Monarchy especially after Charles. I doubt HM needs more than the flimsiest of reasons to get protection for her family from the numerous scandals they are embroiled in. She has no control over the Andrew situation because the FBI are after him and they dont care about our Head of State and her son.

Wills and Kate have stepped up their work load since Harry emigrated.... they must have a lot of decisions to make about how much to take on while the children are small.
They have a full time nanny and two of their children are at school. They are also on holiday for 2 months in the summer, and extended Easter and Christmas breaks. Most of the engagements are during the day or late in the evening. They could split them and do one ' full time' job between them, but they dont. They dont have to make that many decisions. Especially compared to every single other parent in the land!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18

I don’t know. Mr Afzal didn’t say, just, ‘whatever the allegation. ‘ He’s concerned about press freedom.
It was the journalist who tweeted that everybody knew about William’s affair and about contacting the media regarding peddling negative stories about M&H The tweet was deleted.

Aren't D Notices the norm for them all? They can't all be sitting on a minefield of salacious tales.
How long do they last for? I wonder how long after his and Liz's deaths we'll find out all about Phil's escapades, given that his various "lady visitors" are a pretty open secret at the moment.

How long do they last for? I wonder how long after his and Liz's deaths we'll find out all about Phil's escapades, given that his various "lady visitors" are a pretty open secret at the moment.
I read somewhere, possibly on Tattle, that the length of time has been extended from 50 years after his death to 100 years. Makes you wonder what the hell has he done.🤭
Yes, his ladies are well known. It says a lot when he had to socially distance himself from his own wife at his granddaughter’s recent wedding. 😁

• Wow
Reactions: 3
I read somewhere, possibly on Tattle, that the length of time has been extended from 50 years after his death to 100 years. Makes you wonder what the hell has he done.🤭
Yes, his ladies are well known. It says a lot when he had to socially distance himself from his own wife at his granddaughter’s recent wedding. 😁
Erm, no social distancing needed between The Queen and Prince Philip here...

AE3715D5-0450-4522-B63D-3C6807DFB8B7.jpeg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Erm, no social distancing needed between The Queen and Prince Philip here...

View attachment 214693
Hes been stuck at Windsor with the old ball and chain for the whole of Lockdown. His fancy women are at Sandringham 😄
100 years after his death! Bloody hell!! I hope it comes out sooner than that. It must be pretty juicy. Unless there is something in the Andrew's parentage issue. That would be long enough for Andrew and his daughters probably to have died whereas 50 years may possibly mean Bea and Eugenie were still alive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.