The Royal Family

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Helen Castor did a fantastic documentary a few years back for BBC4. Called She-Wolves:England's Early Queens
Unfortunately it's not available on iPlayer.
Screw being royal though. So much backstabbing, plotting, gossip, taking sides, no love, and heaven forbid you're born female.
But they're fascinating all the same.
That doc is on youtube. It was also on Netflix at one time. Might still be.

Think they were talking about Princess Anne 😄

Same with me! I dont agree at all with the principle of the monarchy but the history is fascinating! I have been enthusiastically 'helping' with history home school, so I've been learning about Alfred the Great, Mary I and Liz I. I've had a whale of a time debating whether Mary was bad or misunderstood 😄
IMO Mary is very much a victim of the truism ‘history is written by the winners’. She had such a difficult life and wasn’t an easy person, but was not a bad ruler in many ways. The religious persecutions were no worse than some other monarchs, but the fact that they happened immediately before the permanent change to Protestantism means that the martyrs became the biggest part of her legacy.

Reactions: 3
IMO Mary is very much a victim of the truism ‘history is written by the winners’. She had such a difficult life and wasn’t an easy person, but was not a bad ruler in many ways. The religious persecutions were no worse than some other monarchs, but the fact that they happened immediately before the permanent change to Protestantism means that the martyrs became the biggest part of her legacy.
Yes that's what my sons e textbook said. Henry viii had 70, 000 people executed!!! Can you imagine, and in a population a fraction of what it is now compared to Mary's 300 burnt at the stake!

Reactions: 4
I meant Anne+ Mark, and Anne + Tim nice but dim, and Camilla + A P-B and Charles.
To be honest, Tim Laurence had a pretty good career before they married. Not every naval officer gets to be a royal equerry as well as a command of his own and the respect of his crew (and I heard this from his crew at the time).

Helen Castor did a fantastic documentary a few years back for BBC4. Called She-Wolves:England's Early Queens
Unfortunately it's not available on iPlayer.
Screw being royal though. So much backstabbing, plotting, gossip, taking sides, no love, and heaven forbid you're born female.
But they're fascinating all the same.
I always find Matilda fascinating, as well as Stephen's queen, Maud.

Reactions: 6
Absolutely love this, I’m obsessed with the royal family. Love royal gossip.

Just binge watched the documentary about Victoria and her 9 children...

WORRA witch!!!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
So here goes for gossip well what is conspiracies etc I’ve heard over the years, be nice to have a bit of a discussion on them....

princess Margaret secret love child.
Queen mum actually being the family cooks daughter after her dad had an affair with the cook
Edward the 8th sitting the war out waiting for hitler to invade the uk and then take the throne back....hence why he was sent to the Caribbean.
Prince Andrew being lord porchesters child.
The duke of Kent...can’t remember his name, the one killed during ww2 on a flight carrying a German high ranking officer.
Prince Williams affair with rose chomoldley
The queen mother ignoring her mentally unstable sister.
Edward the 8th being bisexual

I’m sure there’s more but can’t think at the moment.

Reactions: 2
So here goes for gossip well what is conspiracies etc I’ve heard over the years, be nice to have a bit of a discussion on them....

princess Margaret secret love child.
Queen mum actually being the family cooks daughter after her dad had an affair with the cook
Edward the 8th sitting the war out waiting for hitler to invade the uk and then take the throne back....hence why he was sent to the Caribbean.
Prince Andrew being lord porchesters child.
The duke of Kent...can’t remember his name, the one killed during ww2 on a flight carrying a German high ranking officer.
Prince Williams affair with rose chomoldley
The queen mother ignoring her mentally unstable sister.
Edward the 8th being bisexual

I’m sure there’s more but can’t think at the moment.
Duke of Windsor also got involved in a pretty notorious murder during his time in the Bahamas, the murder of Sir Harry Oakes. He and Wallis also made a quasi-royal visit to Hitler before WW2, and he was pretty well known as a Nazi sympathiser hence being packed off to where they hoped he would keep out of trouble and out of the hands of the Axis powers.

Prince George, Duke of Kent, was known to be bisexual and well into drugs during the 1930s. Not sure how much his wife, Princess Marina, Philip's cousin from the Greek royals, was involved.

The mentally disabled Bowes-Lyons, Nerissa and Katherine, were the Queen Mother's nieces, children of one of her brothers. Cousins of them on their mother's side were also in the home so it could be genetic on the non-Bowes-Lyon side. Putting mentally disabled people in homes wasn't unusual at the time but what was was the total ignoring by all their family, no cards, visits, nobody at the funeral, no headstone until they were shamed publicly.

I knew someone who worked as a press officer at a London store. She told me that the Duke of Edinburgh had accounts for his girlfriends there. She named one in particular, an English actress, young enough to be his daughter.

• Wow
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
Anymore tea on this?
There’s a guy that claims he is her secret child, from the early 50s if I remember rightly, he claims he was adopted by a couple and that he remembers the princess visiting him as a child. He also states that the reason that the princesses will is kept secret is because of it. Before that all royal wills were public knowledge

• Wow
There’s a guy that claims he is her secret child, from the early 50s if I remember rightly, he claims he was adopted by a couple and that he remembers the princess visiting him as a child. He also states that the reason that the princesses will is kept secret is because of it. Before that all royal wills were public knowledge

Ooooh....

Isn't their rumor that DOE have a secret love child?

Reactions: 1
How old was Margaret when she had this child? I know the world was a very different place when she was of child baring age, but surely people would have noticed if she was out of public view for 6+ months.

Reactions: 1
How old was Margaret when she had this child? I know the world was a very different place when she was of child baring age, but surely people would have noticed if she was out of public view for 6+ months.
If it was carefully managed by clever use of clothing she might hardly have shown at all. Many women don’t. It would have been easy enough for her to be whisked into a private clinic a couple of weeks before her due date to give birth there.

Before social media etc no-one would have noticed her absence.

Having said that, I don‘tbelieve a word of it! People claim all kinds of crazy things. Like the woman who claimed to be Anastasia, one of the daughters of the last Czar. The real one was executed with all her family in1917 by the Bolsheviks.

If it was carefully managed by clever use of clothing she might hardly have shown at all. Many women don’t. It would have been easy enough for her to be whisked into a private clinic a couple of weeks before her due date to give birth there.

Before social media etc no-one would have noticed her absence.

Having said that, I don‘tbelieve a word of it! People claim all kinds of crazy things. Like the woman who claimed to be Anastasia, one of the daughters of the last Czar. The real one was executed with all her family in1917 by the Bolsheviks.
But she showed with her other pregnancies. It's very very unusual for women not to show with just 1 pregnancy.

@Dinnerbag Thanks. I'll go down a rabbit hole now. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 2
But she showed with her other pregnancies. It's very very unusual for women not to show with just 1 pregnancy.

Didn’t know that. There must be exceptions though? My Mum didn’t show when carrying me, but was the size of a hot air ballon when pregnant with my sister.

@Dinnerbag Thanks. I'll go down a rabbit hole now. 😂

Really enjoying this thread, I'm not a monarchist at all but the gossip is fascinating and I love the history side of things.

History is (or was) written by men so royal women in times past got a very bad deal, I think. Particularly Matilda - sent off to another country v young to be married to a much older man. Her 1st husband died and she was widowed young then her father remarried her to someone she hated. Also mother in law to Eleanor of Aquitaine. Imagine those two together!

I know a few folk have pondered on whether or not Elizabeth 1st was actually a virgin and why she didn't get married. I imagine her experiences as a child and young woman put her off for life - not to mention she probably had no intention of sharing power with any husband!

• Heart
Really enjoying this thread, I'm not a monarchist at all but the gossip is fascinating and I love the history side of things.

History is (or was) written by men so royal women in times past got a very bad deal, I think. Particularly Matilda - sent off to another country v young to be married to a much older man. Her 1st husband died and she was widowed young then her father remarried her to someone she hated. Also mother in law to Eleanor of Aquitaine. Imagine those two together!

I know a few folk have pondered on whether or not Elizabeth 1st was actually a virgin and why she didn't get married. I imagine her experiences as a child and young woman put her off for life - not to mention she probably had no intention of sharing power with any husband!
I love that there are so many female historians on the TV these days! Love Janina Ramirez, Lucy Worsley, Kate Williams. They usually have a slightly different perspective to the macho boys like Dan Snow.

Reactions: 8
I love that there are so many female historians on the TV these days! Love Janina Ramirez, Lucy Worsley, Kate Williams. They usually have a slightly different perspective to the macho boys like Dan Snow.
Me too! Lucy Worsley is fab, isn't she? Loved that series she did on the Tudors.

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.