The Royal Family

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Anne, like you say has come out unscathed but I think it damaged Charles quite a lot, I got the impression that the Queen Mother was his primary Mother figure and of course he was unhappy at Gordonstoun which didn't suit him at all.
And Granny only gave him the time of day because he was the important one! Apparently, when it came to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, she was only interested in the heirs to the throne, Charles and William.

Reactions: 4
And Granny only gave him the time of day because he was the important one! Apparently, when it came to her grandchildren and great-grandchildren, she was only interested in the heirs to the throne, Charles and William.
And yet Harry is her favourite by all accounts...

I got the impression she was very immature. Probably due to her closeted childhood. She was obsessed with Albert. The 40 years of mourning is ridiculous. Added to that the not being able to be a half decent mother to her children. Even in Victorian times there were ways of avoiding conception, yet her and Albert clearly didnt use them. I got the same impression slightly with Liz. She fell madly in live with Phil to the extentthat she dumped Charles and Anne at home and buggered off on tour and to Malta and allegedly showed them no affection. Anne was daddy's girl and has a far stronger personality so seems to have come out of it fairly unscathed. However neither of them gave their husbands what they wanted when it came to The Crown!
Strong personality? Yep. No nonsense? Yep.

But also pretty ruthless. Married two rather dim men who are easily dominated.

Bit like Camilla really :D

Last edited:
Reactions: 1

I was talking about the late Queen Mother and her fondness for Prince Charles not our present Queen and Harry,

Reactions: 8
I thought Prince Albert died of typhoid fever? Altough its far more likely he had an inflammatory bowel condition like Chrons, or even bowel cancer.

Prince Albert wasn’t ‘rather dim’.

I think they mean Princess Anne’s husbands ☺

also I’ve read Harry was the Queen Mother’s favourite and she left him a substantial sum of money in her will as he wouldn’t have the same entitlements of William. I haven’t read that she left much to the other grandchildren so it fits with the theory I guess 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 3

also I’ve read Harry was the Queen Mother’s favourite and she left him a substantial sum of money in her will as he wouldn’t have the same entitlements of William. I haven’t read that she left much to the other grandchildren so it fits with the theory I guess 🤷‍♀️
I meant Anne+ Mark, and Anne + Tim nice but dim, and Camilla + A P-B and Charles.
Oops.

No, she left a substantial amount to all her grandchildren in a trust, to avoid taxes. The trust was a gamble, as she was very old when it was closed and had she died lots of taxes would've had to be paid, but she lived and the trusts remained large.

Yes, Harry inherited more money than William, but William will become stupid rich once he becomes the duke of Cornwall and later king. William has received more money than Harry at least since he married (his needs are greater, so of course it also makes sense, but there's just always more money going into Will's pockets than Harry's).

When Ed abdicated, he received a very generous "pension" and lump sum, he pretty much got all the money he asked for, because George wasn't aware just how much money Ed amassed during his very short reign, it's still that lucrative. George was furious as he later realized he "over-paid".

I think others left Harry also more than Will, but am not 100% certain, so won't claim that to be true.

No, she left a substantial amount to all her grandchildren in a trust, to avoid taxes. The trust was a gamble, as she was very old when it was closed and had she died lots of taxes would've had to be paid, but she lived and the trusts remained large.

Yes, Harry inherited more money than William, but William will become stupid rich once he becomes the duke of Cornwall and later king. William has received more money than Harry at least since he married (his needs are greater, so of course it also makes sense, but there's just always more money going into Will's pockets than Harry's).

When Ed abdicated, he received a very generous "pension" and lump sum, he pretty much got all the money he asked for, because George wasn't aware just how much money Ed amassed during his very short reign, it's still that lucrative. George was furious as he later realized he "over-paid".

I think others left Harry also more than Will, but am not 100% certain, so won't claim that to be true.
yes I’d read that rationale about William receiving more due to lineage etc, thanks for other info ☺

Reactions: 2
Just popping in to say love reading these posts, ive learnt so much and never really thought I was into Royal history until thus thread! Thanks for all the info guys 🤴

• Heart
Reactions: 11
This thread is one of my favourites.
Mine too! Apart from at the start - it’s not that bitchy either! So don’t have to skim through Awful comments like some other threads! I’ve learned loads From this and is more rumours instead of name calling !

Keep it coming!

Reactions: 7
I agree!! I'm not a royalist by any means but God damn, if the whole thing isn't fascinating!!
That's exactly the way I am, the total opposite of a monarchist, but bloody heck are they interesting! History and current, gossip and facts (and not just the British RF, but others too!)! You start reading up on something and just get lost in the juggernaut!!
I always have to be careful to let on how much I know (in real life), lest someone thinks I'm a royalist or nuts or don't have anything better to do.... 😂

Mine too! Apart from at the start - it’s not that bitchy either! So don’t have to skim through Awful comments like some other threads! I’ve learned loads From this and is more rumours instead of name calling !

Keep it coming!
Exactly! :ROFLMAO:

Think they were talking about Princess Anne 😄

That's exactly the way I am, the total opposite of a monarchist, but bloody heck are they interesting! History and current, gossip and facts (and not just the British RF, but others too!)! You start reading up on something and just get lost in the juggernaut!!
I always have to be careful to let on how much I know (in real life), lest someone thinks I'm a royalist or nuts or don't have anything better to do.... 😂

Exactly! :ROFLMAO:
Same with me! I dont agree at all with the principle of the monarchy but the history is fascinating! I have been enthusiastically 'helping' with history home school, so I've been learning about Alfred the Great, Mary I and Liz I. I've had a whale of a time debating whether Mary was bad or misunderstood 😄

Last edited:
Helen Castor did a fantastic documentary a few years back for BBC4. Called She-Wolves:England's Early Queens
Unfortunately it's not available on iPlayer.
Screw being royal though. So much backstabbing, plotting, gossip, taking sides, no love, and heaven forbid you're born female.
But they're fascinating all the same.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.