The Royal Family #47

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Kate visited the Downton Abbey set when they were still making the show? and Charles and Camilla visited the set of The Killing while on a royal visit to Scandinavia. Apparently Camilla was a fan and requested they go as part of their official trip (which makes sense if she also liked Happy Valley!)

(classic DM headline, they do have fun writing these don't they?)

Reactions: 5
Slightly off topic, but had anyone else read SJ Bennets ' Her Majesty Investigates' series. These are cosy mystery novels based around the idea that Queen Elizabeth had a secret hobby of crime solving.

Each book involves a murder at a Palace, and she Investigates with the help of her staff. She can't always openly be seen to be Investigating so often sends an assistant to go places and ask questions she can not.

Currently there are 3 books set in the 2010s, and one set in the 1960s.

They are quite light fluffy reads imo.

I think the author was inspired by thinking that the Queen would have met so many people that she would get very used to reading them and would notice if something was odd or out of place.
Yes, I love these! She's got the Queen's voice spot on. Love the bit in the first one where she ends up hiding in the wardrobe.

Reactions: 4
Slightly off topic, but had anyone else read SJ Bennets ' Her Majesty Investigates' series. These are cosy mystery novels based around the idea that Queen Elizabeth had a secret hobby of crime solving.

Each book involves a murder at a Palace, and she Investigates with the help of her staff. She can't always openly be seen to be Investigating so often sends an assistant to go places and ask questions she can not.

I think the author was inspired by thinking that the Queen would have met so many people that she would get very used to reading them and would notice if something was odd or out of place.
I love these books!!! It’s how I like to think the Queen really was.

Reactions: 2

Yes! Really like them - cosy crime!

I am signed up for S J Bennets mailing list, and her updates are really interesting. She gives her thoughts on any recent royalty based events and talks about the research she has been doing for the books.

If anyone is interested, the early books in series are often reduced to 99p on kindle when they new ones are launched, so worth keeping an eye on.

----
I liked the way the books weave fact and fiction, like having David Attenborough at a dinner party that the victim attended.

Or that they discuss areas of the Palace we never see. I really want to know what the swimming pool looks like, but AFAIK there are no pictures of it.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I think Kate visited the Downton Abbey set when they were still making the show? and Charles and Camilla visited the set of The Killing while on a royal visit to Scandinavia. Apparently Camilla was a fan and requested they go as part of their official trip (which makes sense if she also liked Happy Valley!)

(classic DM headline, they do have fun writing these don't they?)
Camilla obviously loves a crime drama!!

Reactions: 1
I haven’t read the SJ Bennett books yet but I’ve heard good reviews and so they’re on my TBR list. The additional good reviews here are motivating me to read them !

Camilla loves Strictly, that’s been reported a lot. Surprised she’s not gone to the live tbh.

Sadly she’s not a Love Island fan.

• Haha

Yes Ive read the first one and have the second one to read.

I tried the SJ Bennet Series. But in my case, I found it pretty flat and boring. HMTQ is written so bland and not even the main character. Not what I hoped for when i picked it up- a mix of miss marple and Gin o‘clock. Now, that’s a concept someone needs to make happen.

Reactions: 3
I tried the SJ Bennet Series. But in my case, I found it pretty flat and boring. HMTQ is written so bland and not even the main character. Not what I hoped for when i picked it up- a mix of miss marple and Gin o‘clock. Now, that’s a concept someone needs to make happen.
That is fair. They are very gentle. I think there might be some reluctance to having anything to controversial, like expressing a negative opinion about a real person.

Sounds like The Windsor Knot book I read a while ago. 🤔

None of her mums family there was a huge red flag for me. How bizarre to have cut off both sides of your family then your husband cuts off
That's exactly what narcissistic people do. Cut off anyone that offers an opinion that doesn't match theirs and they ensure that their partners are also cut off from family and friends.
Shes a dangerous woman I think
Someday she will dump Harry and will sell her story about how his paranoia was so bad using the examples of spare and his interviews that he conducted alone during the launch.
She def held back from those interviews for a reason.
She will be happy to see him making a complete cock of himself and she will weaponise it when she leaves him

• Heart
Reactions: 21
For me, it was Harry and Meghan's engagement interview which didn't ring true.

The whole 'The Royal Family will be the family Meghan never had'

At that point I didn't realise she did have an extended family - I thought it was just her and her mum. I'm the same just me and mum. I'd deck any git who suggested that we aren't 'a family'

But she did have an extended family plus a dad who she seemed close too. Close enough that he was invited to her first marriage. But they seemed to put by the wayside.

I never understood why she didn't get her mum to walk her down the aisle. It's quite common in Scotland for mums to do this.

Plus the Royals not exactly the Waltons. And since this statement Harry seems to have spent all his time talking about generational pain. So why the hell would you say they'd be the family your fiancé never had???

Did Harry ever meet her dad???

Reactions: 21
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.