The Royal Family #45

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wanna be like Sophie and Edward in 20+ years. They always seem like they love each other and have a lot of fun too.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Sophie and Edward are by far my favourite of the lot. They get on with the job with very little fanfare and given the general lack of media attention on them could get away with doing the bare minimum of engagements but both have hefty engagement counts and do a lot of overseas visits. They rode the wave of their own hairy scandals, kept their heads down and the storm passed. There were no interviews or throwing the toys out of the pram. Similarly they both seem more than content with their position in the pecking order and don’t care if people are above them or come first from what we know…I mean pretty much all the others could learn a thing or two from them, it’s very obvious why Sophie was the Queen and Phillips favourite

Reactions: 28
Slightly OT but I've been wondering this lately and then came across this thread. Say something happened Charles and William overnight... would George succeed the throne? Would there be a regency until he turned 18 (maybe Anne, Beatrice, Edward etc)? I can't imagine it would skip along to the next adult, which i guess would be Harry?

Reactions: 4
Slightly OT but I've been wondering this lately and then came across this thread. Say something happened Charles and William overnight... would George succeed the throne? Would there be a regency until he turned 18 (maybe Anne, Beatrice, Edward etc)? I can't imagine it would skip along to the next adult, which i guess would be Harry?

So long as Prince George, the person next in line of succession, remains under the age of 18, Prince Harry (as the next adult in the line of succession) would become Regent until Prince George reaches the age of majority.

Prince Harry would not be capable of being a Counsellor of State or Regent if he were not domiciled in the UK. However, domicile is a legal concept and different from being resident. Prince Harry is currently resident in the US, but until he forms an intention permanently to reside there, his domicile will remain his domicile of origin, which is the UK. So long as Prince Harry remains domiciled in the UK, he continues to be eligible to serve as a Counsellor of State and Regent; but he would have to return to the UK to do so.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
George would inherit the throne, and a regent would be appointed. This would most likely be Harry, as next in line. If he is considered not domiciled in the UK due to living in the US, it would go to Andrew.

While it skipping straight to Andrew may have been enough for them to consider an updated Regency Act, I'm not sure Harry's dramatics are sufficient to justify new legislation on the matter, so I think it's just a case of fingers crossed William's healthy and not keen on dangerous sports.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Prince Edward has really become steady Eddie.

I think he was a bit lost in his 20/30's but then he married Sophie, accepted his lot and found his peace and position.

Reactions: 26
I have a theory - and you can of course shoot it down in flames because I am not British! I think when Henry VIII changed the state religion, he simply stepped into the role of Pope. Other countries where the Protestant faith took hold were reacting against the massive wealth of the Catholic Church, much of it milked from ordinary superstitious people who were obsessed with saints and relics in a way that was more pagan than Christian. So while the European Protestant churches went on a very austere and puritan course, Henry VIII took all the bling and pomp and ceremony for himself. The monarch became the head of the state religion, and while attendance at church declined and the everyday life of Britain is secular, the monarchy kept up all the holiness and devotion - I noticed this in particular while watching the State Opening of Parliament. That's so like Mass!

The lying in state of QE2 really reminded me of a medieval pilgrimage for a saint. I dont mean this as a slight in any way - I was very impressed by it!

So that's where I think the adoration comes from - the need to adore and venerate.
This is such a brilliant theory. I’d never have thought of it that way, but the way you explained it makes so much sense! I find this kind of thing fascinating, and maybe the fact that you’re not British gives you the “distance” to see it so clearly.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
George would inherit the throne, and a regent would be appointed. This would most likely be Harry, as next in line. If he is considered not domiciled in the UK due to living in the US, it would go to Andrew.

While it skipping straight to Andrew may have been enough for them to consider an updated Regency Act, I'm not sure Harry's dramatics are sufficient to justify new legislation on the matter, so I think it's just a case of fingers crossed William's healthy and not keen on dangerous sports.
QE2 amended the regency act to appoint Prince Philip who wasn’t even in the line of succession. Under the current circumstances, I doubt parliament would take much persuading to skip Harry and Andrew to someone like Edward.

Reactions: 19
QE2 amended the regency act to appoint Prince Philip who wasn’t even in the line of succession. Under the current circumstances, I doubt parliament would take much persuading to skip Harry and Andrew to someone like Edward.
It isn't uncommon in history for a widowed queen to be Regent for their child. Mary of Guise ruled Scotland as regent when Mary Queen of Scots was a child and then Queen of France. She dealt with stroppy nobles, religious upheaval and ongoing war with England; today's constitutional monarchy would be much easier.

Reactions: 13
We live in a society of over sharing and further, 24 hour news coverage.
The landed gentry still live in another era at times with a mere foot in the door of this century.

Their professional PR has been less than optimum and has probably achieved the very opposite of its original aim, by causing more attention and raising more questions.

During the infamous Oprah interview H&M stated Catherine was furious with them over her hormones being referenced, as she considered it indiscreet and disrespectful to a woman of her 'rank'.
I imagine then if her condition was gynaecological or bowel related,
this could surely answer why no detail has been released. Especially if a stoma was required for a period of time post surgery. Imagine the gutter press and photographers scrambling for any image suggesting anything less than perfection in appearance for the Princess of Wales đź‘‘

This makes more sense to me than many of the conspiracy theories.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I have a theory - and you can of course shoot it down in flames because I am not British! I think when Henry VIII changed the state religion, he simply stepped into the role of Pope. Other countries where the Protestant faith took hold were reacting against the massive wealth of the Catholic Church, much of it milked from ordinary superstitious people who were obsessed with saints and relics in a way that was more pagan than Christian. So while the European Protestant churches went on a very austere and puritan course, Henry VIII took all the bling and pomp and ceremony for himself. The monarch became the head of the state religion, and while attendance at church declined and the everyday life of Britain is secular, the monarchy kept up all the holiness and devotion - I noticed this in particular while watching the State Opening of Parliament. That's so like Mass!

The lying in state of QE2 really reminded me of a medieval pilgrimage for a saint. I dont mean this as a slight in any way - I was very impressed by it!

So that's where I think the adoration comes from - the need to adore and venerate.
Great post.

Every culture has someone to look up to. As you say whether it's the Pope, a God, a Prophet, a Chief, an Emperor, a Royal ....

Reactions: 5
Yes. And while I like both couples, i’m not keen on William but then, I don’t hate him… I just don’t think he’s as nice as the media make him
out to be! I do think they push a narrative and share far more positive stories about him than Harry, purely because he’s the future King. It’s not personal to Harry. It’s just Williams status in life. I don’t get why some on the threads act like Kate and Wills are Prince Charming and Cinderella. I mean how many on here wouldn’t be surprised if they announced a divorce in a few years. I wouldn’t be! It must be so bloody hard to keep that “perfect couple” act up!
Probably because there aren't many positive stories about Harry to share given he's constantly doing stupid things publicly and it gets reported, vs William who shows up, cuts the ribbon and goes home? I don't think W is "nice" (frankly as a King you need to have some bite) but you have to wonder what an exhausting bloody nightmare Harry must be behind the scenes given how chaotic he comes across publicly even AFTER the PR people have taken action and cleaned up some of the mess.

Prince Edward has really become steady Eddie.

I think he was a bit lost in his 20/30's but then he married Sophie, accepted his lot and found his peace and position.
Imagine having to accept one's lot as being rich without doing any work for it and having a pampered life from birth.

Given this amended Act then why are people still thinking it would default to Harry or Andrew and not Catherine/Ann/Edward/the corgis/literally anyone breathing but those two?

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.