The Royal Family #44

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It's always my first thought when a man who is neither old nor sick dies suddenly. A friend of mine of the same age was found dead and we all thought suicide, and were relieved to learn it was caused by an undiagnosed heart problem. You don't want to think of your loved ones being so desperately unhappy. The poor family, especially his father to find him like that.
Unfortunately it’s the biggest killer of men under 50 in the UK (higher attempt rate among women but lower success rate due to methods). It’s a huge problem for both genders, and it seems more shocking somehow with this case.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
it seems more shocking somehow with this case.
Someone I was speaking to called him a coward and and idiot because he had everything he wanted and had things that people could only dream about - beautiful wife, friends, connections, family, money, status. Not saying I agree with this person, not at all. But I think the reasons they gave are why it feels more shocking because to everyday people he had it made. Of course none of us know what was happening privately.

I hope his father has support, finding a body with that sort of injury is highly traumatic but it being your own child is just another horrendous layer to it all.

• Sad
Reactions: 30
It’s tragic. I wonder if it will push Wiliam back into the men’s mental health path he once supported very big. I also get the curt statement and think it’s fine that they didn’t address any particular rumours. But in all honesty, they should have either brought a smiling Kate working from her sofa thanking everyone for their well wishes or remained silent. The old mantra, „never complain, never explain“, is more spot on than ever. Because whatever you say will be dissected and re-interpreted. In a world where everyone feels the urge to say something and voice every opinion ALL THE BLODDY TIME (and yes that includes my involvement here obvs), staying silent is power. Nowadays freedom of saying what you think about the ones on top is the norm and not some show of power anymore. Instead, riding out rumours because you can afford to ignore whatever people say about you is much more of a power move.

Reactions: 16
Someone I was speaking to called him a coward and and idiot because he had everything he wanted and had things that people could only dream about - beautiful wife, friends, connections, family, money, status. Not saying I agree with this person, not at all. But I think the reasons they gave are why it feels more shocking because to everyday people he had it made. Of course none of us know what was happening privately.

I hope his father has support, finding a body with that sort of injury is highly traumatic but it being your own child is just another horrendous layer to it all.
This person clearly doesn’t understand mental illness. It doesn’t pick and choose.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
I wonder why he didn’t, Harry did as so did the others as far as I can recall
He attended a football game. I had a quick google. He’s obligated to attend I think as he’s President of the FA. I don’t know if it was a final!

Reactions: 6

wow! looks like it was most likely suicide! wasn’t expecting that!
I really feel for this lady. On account of who hercsecond cousin is, the world and its uncle know the basic gory details. Horrendous.

Reactions: 22
I wonder why he didn’t, Harry did as so did the others as far as I can recall
He was at the FA Cup final, which he is obligated to attend as president of the FA. He has to miss the previous year's final as it was the same day as Harry's wedding.

Reactions: 10
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I do find the fuss about KP's response a bit odd.
There's been numerous variations on "their silence is suspicious," despite there being no indication that updates would be forthcoming. People have said they should address the rumours, they did so and now it's not right because it wasn't friendly enough/repeating the prior statement's thanks for well-wishes.

People are always going to speculate, that's human nature, but acting like we're owed the private health information of a stranger or an apology to our own tastes about why the information isn't provided is odd to me.
Being a public figure doesn't make someone public property.

• Heart
Reactions: 24
I think it’s definitely a power shift between King Charles approach and the late Queen and Duke to the media and public and how William will want his reign to be.

He’s holding the media firm and making his boundaries quite clear. The issue is the British public have been accustomed to the transparency that the Elizabethan era held and I don’t think will be as receptive to such a hidden world. I don’t think you can do a nice family Christmas card if perfection or be the face of better mental health then be seen to be so remote.

Reactions: 5
Not giving details of someone’s personal health conditions makes it a ‘hidden world’ though. The late Queen certainly wouldn’t have updated the public on all aspects of her health.
I find this all so bizarre. We have been told that Catherine has had surgery, is recovering and will return after Easter. What more do we need to know?

• Heart
Reactions: 50
I think it’s definitely a power shift between King Charles approach and the late Queen and Duke to the media and public and how William will want his reign to be.

He’s holding the media firm and making his boundaries quite clear. The issue is the British public have been accustomed to the transparency that the Elizabethan era held and I don’t think will be as receptive to such a hidden world. I don’t think you can do a nice family Christmas card if perfection or be the face of better mental health then be seen to be so remote.
Might I ask why you think QEII was more transparent? I can't think of situations where the public would have been given consistent updates on the surgical recovery process during her reign.

Reactions: 18
Not giving details of someone’s personal health conditions makes it a ‘hidden world’ though. The late Queen certainly wouldn’t have updated the public on all aspects of her health.
I find this all so bizarre. We have been told that Catherine has had surgery, is recovering and will return after Easter. What more do we need to know?
I suppose the short answer is ‘we don’t‘ but Like most things it’s not as simple as that. Whether they like it or not, people are interested in them And they are the ones who camp out overnight in Union Jack tents at crash barriers for a week or knit baby clothes or send get well cards or give the kids Christmas presents. For the updates, there’s a happy medium between giving out too much information and the current, slightly resentful ‘back off, plebs’ that their PR team would do well to find,

Reactions: 11
Exactly!
The problem is, these days Z listers post photos and updates of their health “woes.” They break a finger nail, they’ll Instagram it with a pic of them in hospital hooked up to a drip. It’s sad how desperate some are for attention.
Catherine does not need the attention.
A listers tend to keep their health private - hence why when people like David Bowie and Alan Rickman died we were all so shocked because we had no idea they were even ill.

Reactions: 34
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.