The Royal Family #44

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Well, we don’t know Harry didn’t say that to him when he met him, just that his ‘people’ told the bloke to call him Sir on meeting him. I mean, it’s only polite is t it?
Ok, for Sir if he is your boss, but Madam?!? She should be Mrs Sussex in any egalitarian country shouldn't she?

Well, we don’t know Harry didn’t say that to him when he met him, just that his ‘people’ told the bloke to call him Sir on meeting him. I mean, it’s only polite is t it?
You can be polite to another human being and not call them “Sir”

Reactions: 16
You can be polite to another human being and not call them “Sir”
It was polite of the chap to ask, is what I meant.
Ive worked as a waitress. I’ve called all manner of hoi polloi Sir and Madam - to be honest it means nothing to me and isn’t even a title as such.

Reactions: 10
No that I necessarily believe the 'Harry willing to come back' story, but surely even the RF know this wouldn't wash with the majority of people?

Charles is rapidly using up any goodwill the nation had I reckon. We tolerated the divorce and Camilla being gradually integrated (I quite like her actually). We tolerated, some even celebrated when he and Camilla married. We weren't sure, but it was the Queen's wish that Camilla would be Oueen Consort, but Charles made her Queen and we put up with that too.

If he values the future of the institution he would do well to consider things from others viewpoints. Harry gets booed every time he returns, I can't see him being welcome at the opening of a fish and chip shop on a wet Wednesday in Skegness!

• Haha
Reactions: 15
It might be hard for Meghan and Harry to explain why they want to come back after talking about their need of freedom that the monarchy couldn't offer. In his book Harry explicitly said that his father and brother are trapped. Meghan said the situation was so bad that she was suicidal and she couldn't go out. Why would they want to be again in the firm when they have a big property they could choose (not some old estate belonging to the crown), can pursue projects without any control from the monarchy, have more freedom of speech to express their views and their children are mostly invisible to the public?
But realistically what projects have they done that they couldn’t have done within the family? Other than Meghan’s podcast I can’t think of any. The book and the Netflix show happened purely for a cash grab to be able to afford the house, it wasn’t exactly something they wanted to do to achieve their goals of being humanitarian philanthropists. As far as I’m aware they’ve not used their freedom to express any views, maybe we’ll see more with the American election this year. & for their children being invisible you can access more personal and home pictures of their children than any of the Wales children, there are literally pictures of Archie in the bath out into the world.

Reactions: 8
The new Invictus boss was told to address them that way
I suspect that was more that he wasn't to address them as your royal highnesses and I doubt it was asked directly to Harry. Even when they were entitled to use the royal highness titles, didn't Harry say to just call him Harry?
The correct protocol was issued because this guy asked for it. Not quite the same as Harry issuing a demand to be called sir
---
No that I necessarily believe the 'Harry willing to come back' story, but surely even the RF know this wouldn't wash with the majority of people?

Charles is rapidly using up any goodwill the nation had I reckon. We tolerated the divorce and Camilla being gradually integrated (I quite like her actually). We tolerated, some even celebrated when he and Camilla married. We weren't sure, but it was the Queen's wish that Camilla would be Oueen Consort, but Charles made her Queen and we put up with that too.

If he values the future of the institution he would do well to consider things from others viewpoints. Harry gets booed every time he returns, I can't see him being welcome at the opening of a fish and chip shop on a wet Wednesday in Skegness!
Don't you know that Queen consort is Queen? Charles didn't make her anything different to what the late Queen wanted.
Maybe if the general public understood such things, they wouldn't be feeling that they are "putting up with" anything Charles does.

Reactions: 16
I suspect that was more that he wasn't to address them as your royal highnesses and I doubt it was asked directly to Harry. Even when they were entitled to use the royal highness titles, didn't Harry say to just call him Harry?
The correct protocol was issued because this guy asked for it. Not quite the same as Harry issuing a demand to be called sir
---

Don't you know that Queen consort is Queen? Charles didn't make her anything different to what the late Queen wanted.
Maybe if the general public understood such things, they wouldn't be feeling that they are "putting up with" anything Charles does.
Yes I do know that, but my understanding was that it was HLMTQ's wish was that Camilla was known as Queen Consort Camilla?

Reactions: 1
I don’t think H would. Come back to open a fish or chip shop. I think he wants some sort of relationship with some of the family but not with the firm.

I don’t think H would. Come back to open a fish or chip shop. I think he wants some sort of relationship with some of the family but not with the firm.
If Harry had vented his anger at the firm and the workings of TRF he may have come across slightly different but he chose to reveal very personal things and directly attack family members. I think he's trying to worm his way back in some way whilst Charles is around because he knows he's fucked once William is in charge.

Reactions: 25
Harry wants money. They both want the fame fortune. That’s the only reason Meghan married him after all, money and titles. With their little temperature tantrum website, they made it clear they still wanted to work as royals when it suited them and then merch themselves otherwise to make bank. They would go back in an instant because everything would be paid for. That’s all it’s about.

Reactions: 23

Queen consort is just one type of Queen. But she is known as Queen (first name) just like all other Queen Consorts have been known. Queen Mary, Queen Alexandra..
Originally Camilla was going to be Princess Consort. So when QE let her wishes be known, she was wishing for Camilla to be QC over PC.

QE was well aware that Camilla would be known as Queen Camilla. Not one consort has been known as Queen Consort first name.

Reactions: 21
Yes I do know that, but my understanding was that it was HLMTQ's wish was that Camilla was known as Queen Consort Camilla?
No one ever speaks like that though. The consort just means married to king, we all know she's married to the king and that's why shes Queen.
Its not usual to specify consort everytime you say Queen. No one will when it's Kate as Queen consort and no one did when it was the Queen mother.
The late Queen never said she was to be called Queen Consort Camilla, she said that Camilla would be Queen Consort rather than Princess Consort.
Charles hasn't changed anything hence me pulling it up when you said he had.

People that get obsessed over the consort part, usually don't understand what consort means and think it's a way of showing someone is a lesser version of Queen when that's not the case at all.

Reactions: 23
No one ever speaks like that though. The consort just means married to king, we all know she's married to the king and that's why shes Queen.
Its not usual to specify consort everytime you say Queen. No one will when it's Kate as Queen consort and no one did when it was the Queen mother.
The late Queen never said she was to be called Queen Consort Camilla, she said that Camilla would be Queen Consort rather than Princess Consort.
Charles hasn't changed anything hence me pulling it up when you said he had.

People that get obsessed over the consort part, usually don't understand what consort means and think it's a way of showing someone is a lesser version of Queen when that's not the case at all.
That's what I was thinking of Princess Consort. Not Queen Consort. Couldn't think why it didn't seem quite right.

Sorry to revert back to the names.
If Charles were to die before G C & L are grown. George would be POW so what would C&L be called?
George would immediately become Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay. He wouldn't automatically become Prince of Wales but would have to be awarded it. Charles was known as Duke of Cornwall before being made PoW.

Charlotte and Louis would lose any suffix "of Wales" and gain the prefix "The"; they would be The Princess Charlotte and The Prince Louis as children of a monarch. Eg HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (grandchild of a monarch) against HRH The Prince Edward, Duke of Edinburgh (child of a monarch).

From the RF website:
His Majesty The King has been pleased to confer the Dukedom of Edinburgh upon The Prince Edward, Earl of Wessex and Forfar, on the occasion of His Royal Highness’s 59th birthday.

Reactions: 8
George would immediately become Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay. He wouldn't automatically become Prince of Wales but would have to be awarded it. Charles was known as Duke of Cornwall before being made PoW.

Charlotte and Louis would lose any suffix "of Wales" and gain the prefix "The"; they would be The Princess Charlotte and The Prince Louis as children of a monarch. Eg HRH Prince Edward, Duke of Kent (grandchild of a monarch) against HRH The Prince Edward, Duke of Edinburgh (child of a monarch).
From the RF website:
I’m confused by what George’s title would be. William was a duke as the grandson to the monarch (and heir ) but got “upgraded” to prince when he was the son of the monarch. Surely when William is monarch, George wouldn’t be a duke?
It’s completely baffling my brain, it’s so complicated 🤣

I’m confused by what George’s title would be. William was a duke as the grandson to the monarch (and heir ) but got “upgraded” to prince when he was the son of the monarch. Surely when William is monarch, George wouldn’t be a duke?
In the immediate aftermath of the death of HMQE2 the media were referring to William as the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge until the King's first address he bestowed the Prince of Wales title on him.

I only remember this as the title of Cornwall and Cambridge was giving me irrational rage!

Reactions: 4
The heir to the English Crown is automatically Duke of Cornwall. The heir to the Scottish Crown is automatically Duke of Rothesay. QE wasn't as she technically could have been shunted down from heir if her father had had a son, ie if he'd remarried after divorce/death and a son was born.

The title of Prince of Wales is a gift of the monarch; it is not automatic. There were several years between Charles becoming heir (and Duke) and him being pronounced Prince of Wales. Previously he was Prince Charles of Edinburgh.

William was always a prince from birth as a male line grandchild of the monarch. Thus, Prince William of Wales, Prince Harry of Wales, Princess Beatrice of York, Princess Eugenie of York, and - though they don't use the titles but can choose to do so - Princess Louise of Edinburgh and Prince James of Edinburgh. This was extended by QE to the main line great-grandchildren hence Prince George of (then) Cambridge, Princess Charlotte of Cambridge and Prince Louis of Cambridge. Now Harry is the child of the monarch, he is The Prince Henry, Duke of Sussex and his children, now grandchildren of the monarch, become Prince Archie of Sussex and Princess Lilibet of Sussex.

A Royal Duke is always a prince first. Their children often use the duchy as a surname in common use; both William and Harry used 'Wales' as a surname in the army and RAF, and people still refer to Beatrice and Eugenie York. However, when the holder is a monarch's grandchild, such as Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, and Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester who are the grandchildren of George V, their children aren't royal and use their legal surname, ie Windsor in their cases. You may remember Lady Helen Taylor as Lady Helen Windsor and Lady Gabriella Kingston as Lady Gabriella Windsor. Those descended from QE and Prince Philip are Mountbatten-Windsors, which is why Archie and Lilibet used that surname before becoming prince and princess, and why Lady Louise also uses Mountbatten-Windsor as she is not using her royal princess title.

You might find it easier to look at a family tree while reading - those descended from George V include all the Kents and Gloucesters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
Might be wrong as not up on the title protocol but I think the dukedom titles outrank. I seem to remember a lot of fuss about Harry and Meghan as even if Sussex is removed, they will then be Prince and Princess as Harry was born with that? I’m sure someone will correct me………

Reactions: 2
Might be wrong as not up on the title protocol but I think the dukedom titles outrank. I seem to remember a lot of fuss about Harry and Meghan as even if Sussex is removed, they will then be Prince and Princess as Harry was born with that? I’m sure someone will correct me………
Also not up on it, but I don’t think Meghan is a princess? I thought that Kate only became one when William became Prince of Wales because she was then married to the heir to the thrown? Definitely could be wrong.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.