The Royal Family #44

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Also not up on it, but I don’t think Meghan is a princess? I thought that Kate only became one when William became Prince of Wales because she was then married to the heir to the thrown? Definitely could be wrong.
She's a princess by marriage. She would be Princess Henry and not Princess Meghan.

Reactions: 6
But if not every British person knows this, then you can guarantee not many in the US will, so Meghan would be Princess Meghan over there in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 7
But if not every British person knows this, then you can guarantee not many in the US will, so Meghan would be Princess Meghan over there in a heartbeat.
But she’s not known as that, which is why I thought she wasn’t a princess in any definition tbh. It’s an easy marketing win for them for her to also be a Princess.

The late Queen never said she was to be called Queen Consort Camilla, she said that Camilla would be Queen Consort rather than Princess Consort.
Charles hasn't changed anything hence me pulling it up when you said he had.

People that get obsessed over the consort part, usually don't understand what consort means and think it's a way of showing someone is a lesser version of Queen when that's not the case at all.
Anyone more well-versed in royalty than I am know why Camilla got the Queen title while Philip was stuck with Prince all his life? Both were married to a monarch.

Reactions: 2
Anyone more well-versed in royalty than I am know why Camilla got the Queen title while Philip was stuck with Prince all his life? Both were married to a monarch.
Because a King outranks a Queen, so he couldn't hold that title as he wasn't a reigning monarch.

Reactions: 17
Of course, but I mean Diana was never Princess Diana but rather Diana, Princess of Wales and we all call her Princess Di. Common usage may not line up with what is correct.

There has been the odd US person or organisation (Harry's apparent aviation achievements comes to mind) who have mistakenly used "Princess Meghan" but I suspect they're not outright encouraging it as most in the UK and commonwealth know enough protocol to know better, so the press response would not be kind.

Just to change the subject slightly - for all those making up conspiracy theories about what is actually wrong with Catherine - her sister is currently in St. Barts with her family on holiday. I feel like if my sister was in mortal danger I wouldn't be swimming in the sea in St. Barts? In other words Catherine is fine, she's just recovering at home.

Reactions: 30
But she’s not known as that, which is why I thought she wasn’t a princess in any definition tbh. It’s an easy marketing win for them for her to also be a Princess.
No, my point was linked to them removing the titles. I think MM wouldn't mind if they did because though she would then be Princess Henry, everyone would call her Princess Meghan.

Just to change the subject slightly - for all those making up conspiracy theories about what is actually wrong with Catherine - her sister is currently in St. Barts with her family on holiday. I feel like if my sister was in mortal danger I wouldn't be swimming in the sea in St. Barts? In other words Catherine is fine, she's just recovering at home.
Thought exactly the same but then I saw elsewhere that they are rarely photographed and clearly allowed the close enough pics, perhaps in exchange for sitting on something, who knows. But agree it can't be critical or urgent.

Reactions: 5
Princess Di never actually was Princess Di and we all know how that went.
---
Thought exactly the same but then I saw elsewhere that they are rarely photographed and clearly allowed the close enough pics, perhaps in exchange for sitting on something, who knows. But agree it can't be critical or urgent.
I’m always seeing pictures of her showcasing her toned midriff and enjoying beach days. The annual trip to Dt Bart’s is a pap holiday. She ain’t exactly camera shy.
---
Because there is no such title as King Consort as a King always outranks Queen. it ticked Albert and Victoria off no end. Philip was Prince Consort, the same as Albert.

(Even though he was born a Prince (Greece and Denmark), Philip gave up his titles to marry the Queen. It took until 1957 for the Queen to issue letters parent and create him a Prince of the UK in his own right).

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
They’ve been photographed loads of times on their holidays.

Not too sure about that, there is precedent with Princess Michael of Kent, I have never seen her referred to as Princess Marie-Christine.

Reactions: 6
Not too sure about that, there is precedent with Princess Michael of Kent, I have never seen her referred to as Princess Marie-Christine.
I was always very confused by that as a kid. Why was a woman called Michael? Just assumed it was one of those weird things that super-posh people did.

• Haha
Reactions: 17
I doubt Princess Michael is well known in the US.
The poster was referring to the US. In the UK she’d never be called Princess Meghan but in the US it is likely she would as I doubt they’d call her Princess Henry.
I’ve heard US media refer to Kate/Catherine as Princess Kate/Catherine which is also incorrect so they’d do the same with Meghan.

I doubt Princess Michael is well known in the US.
The poster was referring to the US. In the UK she’d never be called Princess Meghan but in the US it is likely she would as I doubt they’d call her Princess Henry.
I’ve heard US media refer to Kate/Catherine as Princess Kate/Catherine which is also incorrect so they’d do the same with Meghan.
That could happen, yes, so it's just as well she has the duchess handle for them to use:D
I suspect Princess Michael is very disappointed by her lack of visibility in the US, she was never backwards in coming forwards, that one!

Reactions: 1
Only a royal born can be called Princess First Name, so yes Princess Diana was the incorrect title, just as Princess Kate and Meghan are too (although Diana and Kate were/are the Princess of wales through marriage).

However both Kate and Meghan are listed as being 'Princess of the United Kingdom' on the children's birth certificates.

Reactions: 3
Only a royal born can be called Princess First Name, so yes Princess Diana was the incorrect title, just as Princess Kate and Meghan are too (although Diana and Kate were/are the Princess of wales through marriage).

However both Kate and Meghan are listed as being 'Princess of the United Kingdom' on the children's birth certificates.
I think with Diana she was called Princess Diana (albeit incorrectly) because prior to marriage she was Lady Diana so people assumed upon marriage she’d be “upgraded” to Princess Diana.
Neither Kate or Meghan had titles prior to marriage so they were never called Princess afterwards. It is odd they are named as princesses on the birth certificates but I suppose they’ve nothing else to put in the occupation box!
I do find it strange when the media still refer to them by their maiden names though.

Reactions: 3
I agree but I guess with Marie-Christine, nobody had even heard of her until she married Prince Michael, so she just became Princess Michael. Unlike Meghan who is already called Princess Meghan by the Sussex Squad on X..😁😁

I think with Diana she was called Princess Diana (albeit incorrectly) because prior to marriage she was Lady Diana so people assumed upon marriage she’d be “upgraded” to Princess Diana.
Neither Kate or Meghan had titles prior to marriage so they were never called Princess afterwards. It is odd they are named as princesses on the birth certificates but I suppose they’ve nothing else to put in the occupation box!
I do find it strange when the media still refer to them by their maiden names though.
It’s because Princess is actually her occupation, not her title as bonkers as it sounds.
For her to be a Princess in her own right would need letters patent, as the Queen did for Philip.

Reactions: 4
Interesting with William and Mary they were a joint monarchy with their own regnal number. William III and Mary II. Mary was the daughter of James I who married her cousin William of Orange. Strictly speaking they were 2nd and 4th in line to the throne but Mary wanted William to be king as well and parliament agreed. The first in line should have been James II son but he was still a young child.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.