The Royal Family #44

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wouldn’t be that shocked if during the reign of Charles they end up with their proposed half in half out plan. I think Charles wants a relationship with his grandkids and would be willing to find an agreement. I can’t really see what kind of temporary royal role they would even need Harry to do though. William is back next week apparently, Charles is still doing all the BTS stuff, and providing her recovery is on track it’s only another 6 ish weeks until Kate will be back, what would Harry even do?
What do they do that is so essential that Harry would have to come back for it? Charles is doing the actual HOS stuff with the PM etc so who cares if there's a few less royals out and about for a few months.

Reactions: 7
What do they do that is so essential that Harry would have to come back for it? Charles is doing the actual HOS stuff with the PM etc so who cares if there's a few less royals out and about for a few months.
Exactly. What is he going to do, cut a few ribbons to open some community centres while we foot the bill? We waste enough money on that as it is.

Reactions: 14
Times is reporting that Harry might be on the way back to a temporary royal role. He would like to do it apparently, to help out whilst Charles is ill.
Does anyone else feel this is very unlikely??
I could imagine Harry's team floating the idea, given their original wish was apparently half in/half out, but I don't think that there's sufficient need for it to deal with the backlash from the press & public.

Reactions: 9
I could imagine Harry's team floating the idea, given their original wish was apparently half in/half out, but I don't think that there's sufficient need for it to deal with the backlash from the press & public.
I still think their current wish is that. They have rebranded back to their Sussex royal blue, have given their children titles and now change their surnames, Harry has said he would be interested in a role supporting the Commonwealth, they still using their monograms and cyphers (even having it on their doormat), and supposedly asked to be addressed as sir and ma’am at the recent Invictus Games events.

Their problem has never been about being royal but about not being able to control the press, their family not allowing them to control the narrative and their conspiracy theories that their family were behind the rumours.

If Charles offered a grovelling apology and a job back tomorrow I honestly think they’d be rushing back to their role. Other than the book Harry hasn’t done anything since leaving that he couldn’t and wouldn’t have done inside the family, there was no part holding him back except the lack of press control that he wanted.

I still think their current wish is that. They have rebranded back to their Sussex royal blue, have given their children titles and now change their surnames, Harry has said he would be interested in a role supporting the Commonwealth, they still using their monograms and cyphers (even having it on their doormat), and supposedly asked to be addressed as sir and ma’am at the recent Invictus Games events.

Their problem has never been about being royal but about not being able to control the press, their family not allowing them to control the narrative and their conspiracy theories that their family were behind the rumours.

If Charles offered a grovelling apology and a job back tomorrow I honestly think they’d be rushing back to their role. Other than the book Harry hasn’t done anything since leaving that he couldn’t and wouldn’t have done inside the family, there was no part holding him back except the lack of press control that he wanted.
Where did you hear that they asked to be called sir and ma'am? I cant see that being true at all. He's not into all of that nonsense.

• Haha
Where did you hear that they asked to be called sir and ma'am? I cant see that being true at all. He's not into all of that nonsense.
The new Invictus boss was told to address them that way

Sorry to revert back to the names.
If Charles were to die before G C & L are grown. George would be POW so what would C&L be called?

Reactions: 1
Harry is obsessed with his title and his position and wants to be top dog, of course he would demand to be called 'sir'.

Reactions: 15
The new Invictus boss was told to address them that way
I understood it to mean you normally address them as HM/HRH 1st and then Si/Ma'am, but in this case no HRH greeting

• Heart
Sorry to revert back to the names.
If Charles were to die before G C & L are grown. George would be POW so what would C&L be called?
One thing to keep in mind is that POW is not a title that transfers on death - Charles gained the title 6 years after he became heir to the throne. So George may not immediately become Prince of Wales, but remain Prince George (formerly of Cambridge, formerly of Wales).

Taking QEII's children as an example, they would likely simply drop the "of Wales" and simply be Prince/Princess ___, and use Mountbatten-Windsor for passports or similar until they are granted titles upon marriage and become Prince Louis, Duke of Shropshire or the like. Charlotte will likely eventually be named Princess Royal unless they do some legal changes to make her eligible for a title in her own right.

Reactions: 2
One thing to keep in mind is that POW is not a title that transfers on death - Charles gained the title 6 years after he became heir to the throne. So George may not immediately become Prince of Wales, but remain Prince George (formerly of Cambridge, formerly of Wales).

Taking QEII's children as an example, they would likely simply drop the "of Wales" and simply be Prince/Princess ___, and use Mountbatten-Windsor for passports or similar until they are granted titles upon marriage and become Prince Louis, Duke of Shropshire or the like. Charlotte will likely eventually be named Princess Royal unless they do some legal changes to make her eligible for a title in her own right.
I am not sure a change in the law would be needed, as far as I am aware there is no bar to a woman holding a title in her own right. Charles II gave two of his misresses dukedoms in their own right, Portsmouth and Cleveland (Louise de Kerouaille and Barbara Villiers). There are also several Scottish peerages which can pass to women and at least one UK peerage (Mountbatten of Burma).

Reactions: 2

Charlotte is always eligible for a title in her own right … there are many peerages that were created for women in their own right (Charles II gave them out like sweeties to his special friends) although most of them are extinct or extant now. There are aso quite a few that are eligible to come down through the female line (Mountbatten being one). It’s only tradition that means Charlotte has to remain untitled, not anything else.

edit - jinx @Andouilette

Reactions: 3
What makes you think he’s not into that? They still call themselves Duke and Duchess and kicked up a stink about their children’s titles.

Reactions: 20
I think this is more the case than Harry actually being approached to do anything. I think this is Harry throwing it out there a) to look to the world like he's the bigger man b) worming his way back into TRF.

He's just seen all this illness as an opportunity for himself.

Reactions: 11
Its not about whether there is a role there with Harry bravely offering to step up is it ?

its that he is still ferreting around trying to monetise his connections to the RF while he can - he is an opportunist.

Reactions: 12
To be honest I can see them being like that.
To be fair, Sir is the bare minimum.
even taking the royal connection out, as a Duke he could be ‘your Grace’.
It’s a bit of a non story, really. Man who is new to meeting them asks what he should call them as protocol is tricky. Is told.

Reactions: 14

It might be hard for Meghan and Harry to explain why they want to come back after talking about their need of freedom that the monarchy couldn't offer. In his book Harry explicitly said that his father and brother are trapped. Meghan said the situation was so bad that she was suicidal and she couldn't go out. Why would they want to be again in the firm when they have a big property they could choose (not some old estate belonging to the crown), can pursue projects without any control from the monarchy, have more freedom of speech to express their views and their children are mostly invisible to the public?

Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.