The Royal Family #44

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Interesting with William and Mary they were a joint monarchy with their own regnal number. William III and Mary II. Mary was the daughter of James I who married her cousin William of Orange. Strictly speaking they were 2nd and 4th in line to the throne but Mary wanted William to be king as well and parliament agreed. The first in line should have been James II son but he was still a young child.
and he was catholic haha

Reactions: 3
Interesting with William and Mary they were a joint monarchy with their own regnal number. William III and Mary II. Mary was the daughter of James I who married her cousin William of Orange. Strictly speaking they were 2nd and 4th in line to the throne but Mary wanted William to be king as well and parliament agreed. The first in line should have been James II son but he was still a young child.
And Catholic.
You aren’t going to usurp your King for being Catholic and then have his heir* as Catholic.
(*Who was known as ‘the Old Pretender and father of the Young Pretender aka Bonnie Prince Charlie)

At that point Parliament were so desperate for a nice Anglican Monarch, they’d have agreed to any T&C’s William and Mary gave them.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I actually think it would be time to make Kate a Princess of the UK. Yes, technically it’s not needed at all. And it wouldn’t change anything in terms of costs or whatnot. But I still think she should be. Even with her lacklustre schedule in the last decade. If anything it seems she and Wiliam have managed to build a stable unit and are raising well adjusted children that won’t turn out as dysfunctional as the rest of the family. Making sure the next generation is capable is a big job and by all means Kate and her family seem to have kept Wiliam stable and are now doing the same for her own children.

Reactions: 9
I actually think it would be time to make Kate a Princess of the UK. Yes, technically it’s not needed at all. And it wouldn’t change anything in terms of costs or whatnot. But I still think she should be. Even with her lacklustre schedule in the last decade. If anything it seems she and Wiliam have managed to build a stable unit and are raising well adjusted children that won’t turn out as dysfunctional as the rest of the family. Making sure the next generation is capable is a big job and by all means Kate and her family seem to have kept Wiliam stable and are now doing the same for her own children.
she‘s only married into the family, why should she get the title in her own right? She will be Queen Catherine when it’s Williams turn

Reactions: 13
That’s unnecessary in my opinion. She’s basically just done the bare minimum expected of an mother and it sets a dangerous precedent that someone can hand out the title Princess whenever they fancy. She’s Princess of Wales already

Reactions: 13
Princess for what, popping out 3 babies? It's not how the BRF works. They aren't about to change it. The precedent it sets for Meghan to be 'Princess Meghan' then is terrible imo.

There is no precedent for that whatsoever. And we have no idea how the children will grow up, We don't actually know how 'well adjusted' they are. Hopefully they are happy and will remain so but that remains to be seen.

Reactions: 12
I was always very confused by that as a kid. Why was a woman called Michael? Just assumed it was one of those weird things that super-posh people did.
Because a married woman automatically took the name and rank of her husband unless she had a title that outranked his - like Mr Joseph Bloggs and Lady Jane Bloggs. Otherwise she would be Mrs Joseph Bloggs. Mrs Jane Bloggs would be her name only if they divorced. Together, they would be Mr and Mrs Joseph Bloggs. That's still the very formal use and would have been the normal use within living memory.

I'm not sure how English and Welsh law stands on it but in Scots Law your actual legal name is the one you're born with unless legally changed eg by adoption or deed poll; all others are aliases. That's why legal documents will have a married woman as Mary Smith or Jones, one being their own name and the other their married name. Changing name on marriage only got common in Scotland in the nineteenth century to fall in with English use, which is why you see older references to (eg) Janet Douglas, Lady Robertson (completely made up name!). When you took your husband's name, you took the whole shebang, including his first name, just with Mrs in front of it. Incidentally, both Mrs and Miss come from the title Mistress which was used by all adult women regardless of marital status, like Mr. It's still polite here to call a woman of a certain age Mrs plus surname regardless; it shows respect.
---
Because there is no such title as King Consort as a King always outranks Queen. it ticked Albert and Victoria off no end. Philip was Prince Consort, the same as Albert.
I think the only precedent was Mary, Queen of Scots making Henry Darnley King Consort of Scots and that ended in explosions, murder, abdication and eventual execution. Not a great precedent.

Reactions: 6
Mary made some bad, bad choices.

i think my favourite royal styling was for Anne - Her Royal Highness the Princess Anne, Mrs Mark Philiips. Every base neatly covered.

Reactions: 8
Because a married woman automatically took the name and rank of her husband unless she had a title that outranked his - like Mr Joseph Bloggs and Lady Jane Bloggs. Otherwise she would be Mrs Joseph Bloggs. Mrs Jane Bloggs would be her name only if they divorced. Together, they would be Mr and Mrs Joseph Bloggs. That's still the very formal use and would have been the normal use within living memory.

I'm not sure how English and Welsh law stands on it but in Scots Law your actual legal name is the one you're born with unless legally changed eg by adoption or deed poll; all others are aliases. That's why legal documents will have a married woman as Mary Smith or Jones, one being their own name and the other their married name. Changing name on marriage only got common in Scotland in the nineteenth century to fall in with English use, which is why you see older references to (eg) Janet Douglas, Lady Robertson (completely made up name!). When you took your husband's name, you took the whole shebang, including his first name, just with Mrs in front of it. Incidentally, both Mrs and Miss come from the title Mistress which was used by all adult women regardless of marital status, like Mr. It's still polite here to call a woman of a certain age Mrs plus surname regardless; it shows respect.
---

I think the only precedent was Mary, Queen of Scots making Henry Darnley King Consort of Scots and that ended in explosions, murder, abdication and eventual execution. Not a great precedent.
Thank you, yes, I do understand it now but was baffled by it as a kid. I still think the thing of married women taking their husband's name and becoming "Mrs Bob Smith" is totally bizarre. But then I think changing your surname to your husband's when you get married is a terrible idea as well, which is a slightly different topic.

Reactions: 4
Mary made some bad, bad choices.

i think my favourite royal styling was for Anne - Her Royal Highness the Princess Anne, Mrs Mark Philiips. Every base neatly covered.
I might like the current one more, HRH the Princess Royal, Lady Laurence.

I doubt Princess Michael is well known in the US.
The poster was referring to the US. In the UK she’d never be called Princess Meghan but in the US it is likely she would as I doubt they’d call her Princess Henry.
I’ve heard US media refer to Kate/Catherine as Princess Kate/Catherine which is also incorrect so they’d do the same with Meghan.
Thank you, that's exactly my point. She would kill to be called Princess Meghan and she likely would be in the States. Whereas more people in the UK would know about Princess Michael so would perhaps refer to Meghan correctly as Princess Henry should they lose the ducal titles.

Going back a bit to the ‘just call me Harry’ versus staff saying to call him sir thing.
The whole point of the royal family is they aren’t the same as us, we don’t want to call them by their first name like they’re the local green grocer. If Harry is happy to say to people himself, ‘just call me Harry’ once he has met them and said hello them that’s up to him but I think at introduction stage he should be referred to by sir or a title. It’s no different to meeting Lord someone and being told by their people, call him Lord Sugar, not Alan. If he then says ‘call me Alan’ that’s ok.

Reactions: 4
Going back a bit to the ‘just call me Harry’ versus staff saying to call him sir thing.
The whole point of the royal family is they aren’t the same as us, we don’t want to call them by their first name like they’re the local green grocer. If Harry is happy to say to people himself, ‘just call me Harry’ once he has met them and said hello them that’s up to him but I think at introduction stage he should be referred to by sir or a title. It’s no different to meeting Lord someone and being told by their people, call him Lord Sugar, not Alan. If he then says ‘call me Alan’ that’s ok.
I wouldnt address anyone as Lord or lady unless I felt they earned that title.
It's 2024 there's no place for bowing and scraping and titles or at least there shouldn't be.
Professionally if I had to then I would, I'd be being paid to do so.
I thought William and Kate would do away with the curtseying and stuff that isn't befitting modern society. I hope they do when it comes their time.

Reactions: 26
It's 2024 there's no place for bowing and scraping and titles or at least there shouldn't be.
I thought William and Kate would do away with the curtseying and stuff that isn't befitting modern society. I hope they do when it comes their time.
I remember a while ago the protocol said nobody had to bow or curtesy to royalty anymore but if you wanted to you still could.

Attachments

• Heart
I remember a while ago the protocol said nobody had to bow or curtesy to royalty anymore but if you wanted to you still could.
Delighted to see that. To be fair, you do forget in the excitement to see them in front of you. I imagine it's different when you meet them one on one.

Reactions: 2
Delighted to see that. To be fair, you do forget in the excitement to see them in front of you. I imagine it's different when you meet them one on one.
I’ve always thought much easier for men to do the neck bow than for a woman to curtsy!

I’ve seen royals drive by but I’ve never met one in person but I wouldn’t curtsy but would shake their hand if they offered it!

One thing I find odd is all the royals having to bow or curtsy to the sovereign. I wonder if they still have to do it behind doors? I feel like they probably did have to with the late Queen but Charles is less stuffy about it!

Reactions: 1
Not in a million years would I address those nasty entitled pair as Sir and Mam.

I would not curtsy to anyone either. The only time I bow my head is at a funeral as a mark of respect to the deceased person and their family.

Interesting. When you first meet a non titled person do you refer to them as Mr, Mrs or Ms until they say "Do call me Fred/Freda"? It's exactly the same thing. Granted I am ancient but I was brought up to call everybody by their correct name, whether titled or not because it's polite. Refusing to call somebody by their correct name could have been seen as extremely rude, particularly if they were older than me.

Reactions: 15
Interesting. When you first meet a non titled person do you refer to them as Mr, Mrs or Ms until they say "Do call me Fred/Freda"? It's exactly the same thing. Granted I am ancient but I was brought up to call everybody by their correct name, whether titled or not because it's polite. Refusing to call somebody by their correct name could have been seen as extremely rude, particularly if they were older than me.
I know what you mean but how many people do you meet nowadays who say ‘good morning I’m Mr Smith’? Because when I meet people they say ‘I’m Joe Bloggs’ and I’ll say ‘nice to meet you Joe’. Not ‘nice to meet you Mr Bloggs’.

In my day you always called your friends Mum ‘Mrs Bloggs’ but it seems so old fashioned nowadays but in those days it was respectful. The world is a lot less respectful nowadays!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.