The Royal Family #44

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
can’t understand the surname thing, they’ve briefed that they’ve been able to use it since the coronation but surely they’ve been able to use it since the kids were born/they got the title?
I think it’s because they only became Prince/Princess at the coronation (ascension?)
Before that they were master and miss weren’t they and untitled

Reactions: 3
I think it’s because they only became Prince/Princess at the coronation (ascension?)
Oh yes actually this makes sense as I guess for example George was “Prince George of Cambridge” hence the surname. Thanks! Although to be fair they could have all gone by Mountbatten Windsor if they wanted to have the same name 😂

Reactions: 5
Funny but they said they didn’t want Archie to have a title when he was born but they soon grabbed it once Charles became King…🤔

Anyway, enough about them, is there any news about the real royals? 😜

• Haha
Reactions: 20
The way the aristocracy swap between surnames, titles and subsidiary titles used to confuse the heck out of me. I’d be reading something historical, and just have it fixed in my head who was who and then someone would pop off and everyone would change again.

Reactions: 9
Yep. Untitled descendants get Mountbatten-Windsor. Once they became Prince and Princess they could use Sussex as a surname.
IMG_3397.png

'We hate the royal family so much because they didn't bend over for our demands but we'll still use titles, and have a fit about our badly named kids not being prince and princess fast enough on the website, then demand people use our titles!!!'

Reactions: 23
Funny but they said they didn’t want Archie to have a title when he was born but they soon grabbed it once Charles became King…🤔

Anyway, enough about them, is there any news about the real royals? 😜
Here!here! this thread is turning is becoming all about H&M haven’t they got a separate thread?

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’m surprised they don’t want to use Mountbatten Windsor, it’s a shame really that Phillip fought so hard to get the name used and now hardly any of his descendants actually use it. The Tindalls and Phillips, the Yorks, Wales and now Sussex…I think even Louise and James use Wessex

Reactions: 13
I’m surprised they don’t want to use Mountbatten Windsor, it’s a shame really that Phillip fought so hard to get the name used and now hardly any of his descendants actually use it. The Tindalls and Phillips, the Yorks, Wales and now Sussex…I think even Louise and James use Wessex
Apparently Louise was the first Grandchild to use Mountbatten-Windsor at birth and in that case James did when he was born but now you’d assume that they use Edinburgh now that Edward & Sophie are the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh (in the same way the York girls used York, and G,C&L use Wales). Although as James is now the Earl of Wessex, he might have changed to Wessex??

Apparently Louise was the first Grandchild to use Mountbatten-Windsor at birth and in that case James did when he was born but now you’d assume that they use Edinburgh now that Edward & Sophie are the Duke and Duchess of Edinburgh (in the same way the York girls used York, and G,C&L use Wales). Although as James is now the Earl of Wessex, he might have changed to Wessex??
I elected to change my name when I got married, it was a right pain and if I'd know how much of a faff it was then I wouldn't have bothered, I can only assume they have people that do it for them, sounds like hard work otherwise. Plus you'd need to be changing your signature every fine minutes.

Reactions: 6
I can’t understand the surname thing, they’ve briefed that they’ve been able to use it since the coronation but surely they’ve been able to use it since the kids were born/they got the title? George Charlotte and Louis all used the Cambridge surname from the start at school etc, presumably now Wales, so I don’t see why the Sussexes were any different. I think Harry went by Harry Wales until William etc became the Prince of Wales, Megan must have still been using Markle and the kids M-W but I mean, that’s their fault, they could have all switched to Sussex the minute they got married -bizarre
Their surname is still Mountbatton-Windsor. On Princess Ann's passport it says apparently, Ann Mountbatton-Windsor, Princess of the United Kingdom, same as Prince Harry. His apparently says, Henry Mountbatton-Windsor, Prince of the United Kingdom. Never quite understood why Harry and William used the 'surname' Wales or the Cambridge kids either, easier maybe than Mountbatten-Windsor..
They can of course, change it by deed-poll but I can't see the benefit, unless it is somehow to keep the Sussex name, in case the Dukedom is removed for some reason, can't see that happening though at all.

I elected to change my name when I got married, it was a right pain and if I'd know how much of a faff it was then I wouldn't have bothered, I can only assume they have people that do it for them, sounds like hard work otherwise. Plus you'd need to be changing your signature every fine minutes.
Their name still is Mountbatten-Windsor though … it’s just that they elect to use the title in its place, as do loads of the aristocracy. The Devonshire mob are Devonshire not Cavendish … the heir to the Duke of Wellington will be known as ‘Mornington’ not Wellesley until he inherits and everyone gets bunked up a rung. It’s just another one of their endearing little quirks.

Their surname is still Mountbatton-Windsor. On Princess Ann's passport it says apparently, Ann Mountbatton-Windsor, Princess of the United Kingdom, same as Prince Harry. His apparently says, Henry Mountbatton-Windsor, Prince of the United Kingdom. Never quite understood why Harry and William used the 'surname' Wales or the Cambridge kids either, easier maybe than Mountbatten-Windsor..
They can of course, change it by deed-poll but I can't see the benefit, unless it is somehow to keep the Sussex name, in case the Dukedom is removed for some reason, can't see that happening though at all.
I think it's probably a hangover from when there were many more children born per member of the royal family. If they had all used the same surname it would have led to a lot of muddle, specially when half of them were being christened Victoria or Albert!

I think it's probably a hangover from when there were many more children born per member of the royal family. If they had all used the same surname it would have led to a lot of muddle, specially when half of them were being christened Victoria or Albert!
I think a lot of it is quite ancient in origin … calling people by their title name rather than family name goes back hundreds of years and was a quick reference to those of in the know about standing and allegiances.

Reactions: 4
I think it’s what they are known by for continuity purposes with the public. I don’t think they are changing names on their bank accounts and tv license!

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I can’t understand the surname thing, they’ve briefed that they’ve been able to use it since the coronation but surely they’ve been able to use it since the kids were born/they got the title? George Charlotte and Louis all used the Cambridge surname from the start at school etc, presumably now Wales, so I don’t see why the Sussexes were any different. I think Harry went by Harry Wales until William etc became the Prince of Wales, Megan must have still been using Markle and the kids M-W but I mean, that’s their fault, they could have all switched to Sussex the minute they got married -bizarre
Hello. Can you explain this some more to me please?

If Harry and Meghan are saying that use of the Sussex name came about after the Coronation, then they are doing the exact same as the Wales'.

Archie and Lilibeth Mountbatten - Windsor pre Coronation and Sussex after.

George and siblings Cambridge pre Coronation and Wales after.

They are now calling their children Archie and Lilibet Sussex.
I thought they were Mountbatten-Windsor.
Or is this their way of clinging onto the titles in case they are removed? “They’ve taken away our children's surname!”
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think they’ve used Sussex as a surname before. 🤔
Their official titles are Princess/Prince of Sussex if I am correct but when they announced Lili’s birth they just referred to her as Princess Lilibet Diana. So I suppose technically they are correct in calling them Prince and Princess but is weird because they made a fuss about it and then wanted to be private.
---
Yes there was a brouhaha just before Andrew was born as someone pointed out that he’d have 'the Badge of Bastardy' - Charles and Anne had Mountbatten as their father’s surname but Churchill was outraged at Elizabeth wanting to incorporate Mountbatten into the family name and forced her to declare the family would be known as the ‘House and Family of Windsor’. Therefore Andrew would be known as Andrew Windsor which was not at all appropriate as it would be his mother’s surname, not his father’s! So 11 days before the birth of Prince Andrew, the Queen made a new declaration saying that she had adopted Mountbatten-Windsor as the name for all her descendants who did not enjoy the title of His or Her Royal Highness - saving anyone any blushes. It’s a 'hidden' or 'latent' surname to be used by any of the Monarch’s children should they lose their titles, and passed on to their descendants and used by them when the use of a surname becomes necessary - like with passports one would assume.

Last edited:
Their official titles are Princess/Prince of Sussex if I am correct but when they announced Lili’s birth they just referred to her as Princess Lilibet Diana. So I suppose technically they are correct in calling them Prince and Princess but is weird because they made a fuss about it and then wanted to be private.
---
Initially misread this as H&M rather than the littlies.

I believe they are Prince/Princess ___, of Sussex. Their title is Prince/Princess of the United Kingdom, but their titling is from their father as Duke of Sussex.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.