The Royal Family #44

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I wouldnt address anyone as Lord or lady unless I felt they earned that title.
It's 2024 there's no place for bowing and scraping and titles or at least there shouldn't be.
Professionally if I had to then I would, I'd be being paid to do so.
I thought William and Kate would do away with the curtseying and stuff that isn't befitting modern society. I hope they do when it comes their time.
I have been watching William greeting people after the Baftas last night and I did not see one person curtsy and not one person bow, they all did shake hands with him though.

Reactions: 4
I know what you mean but how many people do you meet nowadays who say ‘good morning I’m Mr Smith’? Because when I meet people they say ‘I’m Joe Bloggs’ and I’ll say ‘nice to meet you Joe’. Not ‘nice to meet you Mr Bloggs’.

In my day you always called your friends Mum ‘Mrs Bloggs’ but it seems so old fashioned nowadays but in those days it was respectful. The world is a lot less respectful nowadays!
I hear you but it is usually those that shout the loudest about 'respect' are the rudest and entitled. Just my own lived experience.

I still address my childhood neighbours as Mr. & Mrs. ;) it would feel weird to use their given names.

Reactions: 10
I know what you mean but how many people do you meet nowadays who say ‘good morning I’m Mr Smith’? Because when I meet people they say ‘I’m Joe Bloggs’ and I’ll say ‘nice to meet you Joe’. Not ‘nice to meet you Mr Bloggs’.

In my day you always called your friends Mum ‘Mrs Bloggs’ but it seems so old fashioned nowadays but in those days it was respectful. The world is a lot less respectful nowadays!
Fair point, things are different now. I suppose I am just baffled by the idea (not from you!) that being polite could ever be construed as bowing and scraping. I have never bowed and scraped in my life and have never had it happen to me either, thank goodness!

Fair point, things are different now. I suppose I am just baffled by the idea (not from you!) that being polite could ever be construed as bowing and scraping. I have never bowed and scraped in my life and have never had it happen to me either, thank goodness!
Being polite is one thing and comes to most of us as easy as breathing. However, being told to address someone as Sir or Mam AND perhaps the addition of curtsying would most probably be a no no for me. I am inherently a respectful woman but in the instance of Harry and Meghan, it would be a hard NO.

Reactions: 12
I hear you but it is usually those that shout the loudest about 'respect' are the rudest and entitled. Just my own lived experience.

I still address my childhood neighbours as Mr. & Mrs. ;) it would feel weird to use their given names.
I remember when I became an adult and my best friends Mum told me to stop calling her Mrs X and use her maiden name but I just couldn’t do it, it felt wrong!

Off topic but another one I’ve always hated is Alan Sugar having to be called Lord Sugar on The Apprentice!

Reactions: 11
I don’t think using someone’s title is the same as bowing and scraping? If you are introduced to someone and there is no real response like in an actual conversation you would just use that as a filler response. Just like you would acknowledge your counterpart as doctor or professor. I mean Mr. Mountbatten-Windsor would do the same job but it’s odd to refer to anyone differently than how they are introduced to you or how they introduce themselves.
I am no fan of the general use of Sir/Ma’am/Miss Xyz in your private life as you see it in the US sometimes. Either you are on first name basis or it is Mr/Mrs/Ms Last Name. But for business that’s a different ballgame. I am actually relieved that in my native tongue there is a distinct difference between formal and informal addresses. Not just in the used name but in all pronouns. Makes it so much easier. And if in doubt, there are plenty of ways to build sentences that work without ever specifying if you reached first name basis. So the whole do we call him Sir or Mr or “just H” wouldn’t be a problem.

Reactions: 8

I was the same. I was also from a generation that used to call my parents close friends Auntie or Uncle even though they weren't actual family.
It's all changed now. My daughter and her friends have always called the various mum's by their given name.

One thing I find odd is all the royals having to bow or curtsy to the sovereign. I wonder if they still have to do it behind doors? I feel like they probably did have to with the late Queen but Charles is less stuffy about it!
Definitely with the Queen. Remember Meghan did that whole thing about having to curtsey and couldn't believe the formality at meeting Harry's grandmother?

Reactions: 5
Being polite is one thing and comes to most of us as easy as breathing. However, being told to address someone as Sir or Mam AND perhaps the addition of curtsying would most probably be a no no for me. I am inherently a respectful woman but in the instance of Harry and Meghan, it would be a hard NO.
I would never bow or courtesy to any of them! Not even the Queen when she was alive. I think it’s ridiculous. If I was ever in a position where they were visiting my work for example. I’d ask to not be involved in any of it because I just couldn’t bring myself to do that! And it’s not out of hate for any of them, I just think it’s bloody stupid! I didn’t know until quite recently it was expected of them in private, as in when the family went to visit QE, they should courtesy! I couldn’t believe that!

• Sad
Reactions: 22
Interesting. When you first meet a non titled person do you refer to them as Mr, Mrs or Ms until they say "Do call me Fred/Freda"? It's exactly the same thing. Granted I am ancient but I was brought up to call everybody by their correct name, whether titled or not because it's polite. Refusing to call somebody by their correct name could have been seen as extremely rude, particularly if they were older than me.
When I first meet someone and they tell me their name, its usually their forename. I think its been years since someone told me to call them Mr or Mrs xyz.
Mr and Mrs is fine to me, I'm used to calling parents of friends Mr and Mrs xyz depending on their generation. I worked with a gentleman and I called him Mr x every day of the week, I couldn't call him by his forename as it just seemed odd to me.
If someone introduced themselves to me as "I'm Lord sugar" I would not use their name at all when talking to them.
I don't hold truck with lord this or baroness that.
I was once asked to call a priest and to refer to him as father. I refused. I said that he wasn't my father and I wasn't calling anyone by that name. Either I used his proper name or nothing at all.
Titles to me are for people who see themselves as higher or better than those around them. It's 2024 and there's no need for it.
Sir and madam or Mr and Mrs is different to me as they are used daily and don't imply that someone is of a higher status than me and my family.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
The designer who the late Queen presented the inaugural Queen Elizabeth II Award for British Design has created a collection inspired by Royalty. What do you all think? Personally I think there are some gorgeous pieces!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
The designer who the late Queen presented the inaugural Queen Elizabeth II Award for British Design has created a collection inspired by Royalty. What do you all think? Personally I think there are some gorgeous pieces!
Some of these are absolutely stunning! Elegant and beautiful, would love to seem them on some red carpets!

Some of these however, show there is a very fine line between high fashion and toilet doily.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Some of these are absolutely stunning! Elegant and beautiful, would love to seem them on some red carpets!

Some of these however, show there is a very fine line between high fashion and toilet doily.
I’m a fan of all things chintzy and doilies so this is right up my street haha! I do hope we get to see some on the red carpet. Who knows maybe Kate will wear a design when she returns to work.

Reactions: 2
I’m a fan of all things chintzy and doilies so this is right up my street haha! I do hope we get to see some on the red carpet. Who knows maybe Kate will wear a design when she returns to work.
I know they’re not Royal so this is verging off topic, but the styles look very similar to what Lily Collins wore to the BAFTA’s. She looked 🔥🔥🔥

To make it relevant: would absolutely love to see Kate wear something like this, or something in this collection.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I know they’re not Royal so this is verging off topic, but the styles look very similar to what Lily Collins wore to the BAFTA’s. She looked 🔥🔥🔥
I thought the same! I had to Google to see if they were the same designer but Lily’s dress was by Tamara Ralph.

• Heart
Some beautiful dresses there. Old and new. I like!

• Heart
I was the same. I was also from a generation that used to call my parents close friends Auntie or Uncle even though they weren't actual family.
It's all changed now. My daughter and her friends have always called the various mum's by their given name.
My mum and dad still call their in laws mr/mrs so and so and address them with the formal you (not English speakers) after 25+ years of marriage
Meanwhile I've always called my partner's parents by their first name with the informal you.
I guess it's just a matter of habit and instinct? In my language whether you address someone formally or informally is kind of a big deal that depends on a lot of factors (age, gender, race, your role in the interaction, etc) It's basically an added layer of awkwardness to interactions lol

Charles told wishy washy Sunak that all the cards and well wishes for him have moved him to tears. I think he’s always felt he wasn’t very popular with the public.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
My mum and dad still call their in laws mr/mrs so and so and address them with the formal you (not English speakers) after 25+ years of marriage
Meanwhile I've always called my partner's parents by their first name with the informal you.
I guess it's just a matter of habit and instinct? In my language whether you address someone formally or informally is kind of a big deal that depends on a lot of factors (age, gender, race, your role in the interaction, etc) It's basically an added layer of awkwardness to interactions lol
I still do that with much older people with the exception of a small few. It’s definitely a mixture of cultural traditions and habit. 😄

What did you all think of Prince William’s statement about Gaza and a ceasefire?
I think it's good. I mean who doesn't want an end to this conflict? His statement was very neutral and talked about all the victims of this conflict, no matter the side. I think it is sad that expressing the urgency to stop this whole madness is so political. So many people are dying, living in terrible conditions, and by each passing day the hostages' chances of survival are declining.

Reactions: 26
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.