Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Boredofgrey

VIP Member
Poor Kate - slated for being boring and samey with her outfits……..slated for trying something different. You just can’t please all of the people all of the time.

Reactions: 36

50sGirl

VIP Member
Jeez, damned if they do, damned if they don’t. 🙄
I wouldn't want to be in their shoes for one day.

Reactions: 33

cee-bee

VIP Member
It grates me when they introduce themselves as the duke and Duchess of Sussex.

you left that system. You were highly critical of it and all those involved in it. You wrote books and did documentaries and podcasts, all highly critical of it. Why not just, willingly drop the use of the titles? Why not just insist on being referred to as “Harry Windsor” or even plain old “Prince Harry”.

It’s Meghan’s take I understand even less. She’s supposed to be all for equality and feminism except when it comes to her unearned titles. Then apparently she’s all for divine right, feudalism and patriarchal systems.

she’s an American, living in America. Just call yourself Meghan Markle, or Meghan Windsor, or Meghan Sussex. Why insist on being introduced as the Duchess of Sussex when… you were never really a duchess at all?

I mean it’s all a bit ridiculous. You marry into the family and all of a sudden prestige and titles are bestowed upon everybody. It’s archaic and sexist ultimately. But with Kate, she’s never claimed to be anything. She goes along with the pantomime. She doesn’t go on a podcast and complain about it while accepting the prestige and benefits.

she smiles and nods. It’s not especially commendable but at least she’s not a total hypocrite. She buys into the bull crap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 32

stardust21

VIP Member
Honestly the world is going mad. Camilla is racist because of an awkward move. M&S are racist for using the Christmassy colours of green, red and silver. Next I’ll be racist because I’m eating hotpot for dinner.

Can we all as a society just chill out a bit?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 31

Honeystar

VIP Member
I mean IMO everyone is a winner with this. The kids bring more attention and headlines to the charity, they look good, plus it helps to satisfy the press and the public getting glimpses of the kids and preventing intrusion in their lives…the video itself is actually informative rather than a “look at us aren’t we great” vibe

Reactions: 30

Honeystar

VIP Member
I really love todays event with Camilla inviting the poorly children to decorate the tree at Clarence House, she does it every year and it’s one of those special things that royalty can do, inviting children to a palace to decorate a tree with the Queen, things like that just wouldn’t have the same impact if it was off to Downing Street with Rishi or Boris

Reactions: 29

jkroche95

VIP Member
Tbf Susan Hussey is 84. She may have been blunt and there is no excuse for racism but I do think it was blown out of proportion.

If Marlene Headley decides to change her name to the more African sounding Ngozi Fulani, runs a charity that helps African women and turns up to the event in traditional African clothes, then It shouldn't be too surprising that someone asked what part of Africa she came from.

Whatever happened between the two, apologies were given and accepted.

Reactions: 28

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
Maybe taking government/ poor dead people's money which could be funnelled into projects like this?

Makes me cringe when I see them do "were just like you!" stuff like this!
The money taken is given to projects like this. They don't keep it. They're also not doing 'we're just like you' stuff. They are raising awareness of the charities.

I think it's amazing when they do stuff like this. The publicity it generates for the charities is incredible. When William surprised the lady walking for charity for mental health issues the other day, all you could see in the timeline was where can I donate?

I thought it was lovely to see the kids there being helpful and it was a perfect way for them to help. One of the volunteers was saying 'your job is to pick toys that you would like to play with.

William and Catherine also make personal donations to these charities too. Catherine doesn't walk into the baby bank with a load of stuff but donations are sent and she has arranged for companies to give huge donations to baby banks across the country.

• Heart
Reactions: 28

neroli

VIP Member
Bea seems to be a good stepmum to Wolfie.

I liked the picture of her and Edo at their wedding with her wearing her Granny’s dress, HMTLQ and the DOE socially distanced from them outside the church, and the beautiful flowers around the church.
I've always felt that Beatrice has had a hard time with all the unflattering photos and horrible comments about her weight and looks in the past. She's obviously lost a lot of weight now and her figure is as slim as Kate's. I hope she's happier and enjoying her own family in private. Can't be easy having a Dad who has been publicly disgraced and a Mum who is a liability no matter how "royal" you are.

Reactions: 26

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
but what you’re describing is institutional racism though. “Only X amount of people know the etiquette”. If an institution is formed for a specific set of people, by a certain set of people and includes a specific set of people - that is institutional racism. For example, the met police was found in an inquest to be institutionally racist, partly because a large number of its members were white (among other things). You can apply rationale as to why this might be - more people in the U.K. are white than any other ethnicity for example. But that doesn’t detract from the inherent racism.

Charles having a crush on a woman of colour or black woman doesn’t make him racist or non racist. It could mean he fetishes race as much as it means he doesn’t care about it. It doesn’t mean anything.

charles inner circle is well known - evidenced by the people he keeps in his employ, guests to his personal events, the people who he associates with most closely - the mount battens, the Shands, the van cupsems. I could relay a ton of friends or associates he keeps that are white and aristocratic/upper middle class. I’d struggle to find a single person from a different background.

is Charles, as an individual, racist? I can’t say, I have no idea. But he certainly doesn’t surround himself with people from a diverse range of backgrounds and ethnicities, so it’s fair to assume he doesn’t have a good grasp on the experiences of the vast majority of people in the U.K., an ethnically, socially and culturally diverse country.

What you are essentially saying is that if you don't have a group of mixed and diverse friends then you are racists which is nonsense.

I am 56 and my group of friends all consist of people with similar backgrounds and social class. Not planned but just the way it is. We get along because of shared experiences and outlook. It's the same with Charles. Why on earth would he be friends with Dave the bin man from Rotherham? In the area where I grew up in Liverpool there were no people of colour at all. Still isn't to be honest. Very much a white, working class area. Does that make the people in that area racists?

I actually think Charles is probably the most progressive of TRF.

Reactions: 26

Honeystar

VIP Member
I thought the This Morning interview was actually relatively good in that they actually questioned him and pushed back a bit, more so than the US ones have anyway.

The woman who did the Dutch translation has now come out and said the names were in the manuscript she received - I mean good for her, this is her career and she's being made to look like she's the one who messed up

Reactions: 25

Libbylulu

VIP Member
He clearly adores Camilla and their relationship has stood the test of time with enormous bad publicity, media interest with criticism, every way they turned.
I like them and hope they are happy in their senior years.

Reactions: 25

hehehe

VIP Member
I can’t see Charles being purposefully prejudice and racist when you look at the history of his work. Despite Harry thinking that simply marrying Meghan was enough to absolve him of his own racist past he’s never taken full accountability for it and will never be able to achieve the impact and change Charles has achieved for ethic minority youths with The Prices Trust.
This is one thing that really bothers me and is endemic to this "my truth" era of misinformation that is extremely dangerous, how people can bleat on about the Royal family being racist (despite strong evidence to the contrary, and Charles's ethnically inclusive work spanning several decades) and completely overlook the ONLY person in the family that has KNOWN instances of racist behaviour and MULTIPLE occurrences of this.

Harry really is that fucking arrogant that he thinks marrying Markle and running around with Doria is some kind of invisibility cloak for his past.

If the press had any sense they would only use one picture of Harry in all their reporting on this "royal racist" shite going forward -- the Nazi uniform one -- and suffix any mention of him with one of his racist behaviours -- for example, "The Duke of Sussex, 40, who once told Stephen K Amos 'you don't sound like a black chap', attended the opening of an envelope yesterday" or "Prince Harry, 40, who was caught hurling racist slurs against his army colleagues just a decade ago, was pleased to be giving another hypocritical speech on social justice."

Reactions: 24

Multi-21

VIP Member
Alarm bells should have been ringing when she could only rustle up one family member to attend their wedding and her ‘friends’ who sat closest in the abbey were people she met a handful of times.
She married Harry for clout and has alienated him from friends and family so they can write the great love story of how it’s the two of them against the world. Professional victims

• Heart

CuriousCat92

Chatty Member
I really don’t like the fact that Scobie appears to have tried to blame the translators for the names ending up in the book. I thought that was low.

elliebee27

VIP Member
I really love todays event with Camilla inviting the poorly children to decorate the tree at Clarence House, she does it every year and it’s one of those special things that royalty can do, inviting children to a palace to decorate a tree with the Queen, things like that just wouldn’t have the same impact if it was off to Downing Street with Rishi or Boris
Camilla's annual Christmas party is imo the best royal event, full stop. She serves them, she loves on the kids and families, spoils them and their carers rotten - they all deserve it. Imo to me it emphasizes the old school idea of public servant in a royal.

• Heart

cee-bee

VIP Member
It seems that Meghan and Harry wanted the same status as William and Kate but I actually think they would have been more successful and able to do more charity work in the ‘Spare’ position. They had the public on their side and if they had stuck it out I could have seen their popularity soar.
I dunno.. Meghan was initially really well recieved by the media. Like bizarrely so. I used to find the articles about her nauseating.

I got the impression in Spare that Harry got social media and the press mixed up.

there were two articles that could fairly be called racist: one written by Rachel Johnston which refers to Meghan”s “rich and exotic DNA” basically helping the Windsors rather lacklustre lineage. The second was by the Daily Mail, which painted Doria as being “straight out of Compton”. Harry used a lot of the criticism from the likes of buzzfeed in his book. The one that compared (rather superficially) headlines between Kate and a Meghan. Insisting the media was out to get Meghan.

but if you actually trawl through tabloids written at the time… most of them are overwhelmingly positive.

the night Meghan was crying on the floor and wanting to die because of what was supposedly being written about her? The daily Mail ran a story gushing over her. She’s described as “the picture of elegance” with her charity visits being applauded and she was praised for recycling an Armani coat.

not a single word of negativity. Most articles about Meghan are in a similar vein. In his book, Harry struggles to mention specifics.

but check the top comments; people think Meghan is overexposed. They think it’s tacky she wore outfits costing thousands to charity events. They don’t like the overt way she is conscious about the camera and posing. None of which Harry addresses in Spare (because the criticism of her wearing a designer coat to a dog shelter is fair, and there’s no real defence for that. Better to pick up that small handful of articles that were genuinely offensive).

it’s pretty obvious to me Harry was picking up on the mood of the general public rather than the press.

I think for many people, Meghan just never came across as authentic and genuine. She sure as hell didn’t for me. She didn’t embody the traits that traditional royalists liked (demure, submissive) and didn’t embody modern traits like the forward thinking progressives like - because ultimately she got this position as a result of her husband, not her own talent or hard work.

Harry casually dismissed a lot of the genuine and actually, pretty fair criticisms of her. (That 5am email to staff - it doesn’t matter if she was catching up with a friend. It’s inappropriate to send emails at that time outside normal working hours. Many professionals will have ToRs among teams to not email outside of office hours because of the culture it promotes and the lack of work/life balance it suggests. Yet Harry just shrugs this off as being silly and nonsense. Because he’s never suffered the joy of having to work as a professional at anything).

I don’t think Meghan is someone that was ever going to be recieved well long term, and I think everyone in the family knew it. She’s inconsistent and dishonest, she comes across as OTT and disingenuous. She comes across as hypocritical, on one hand posting bananas hugging and flowers from London on her Instagram, while getting Harry to insist the press give her privacy. She acts like she didn’t know anything about his family in a lie that was embarrassingly transparent. She doesn’t bat an eyelid at wearing a £2.5k coat and £1.7k handbag to a charity visit set up for women who can’t afford decent clothing for work interviews.

• Heart

hannah123

VIP Member
Tbh when they said there was concern I always took it as concern for his safety and protection from racism. Charles isn’t stupid and has worked with ethnic minorities most of his life, he knows the challenges and abuse they face daily and wouldn’t want that for his grandson. Meghan can’t be oblivious to colourism considering she’s mentioned she didn’t get treated like a black woman until she joined the royal family. If Archie had been born with darker skin it’s opening him up to a world of racism and daily unconscious bias that no parent or grandparent would want. Having the conversation of I’m worried and concerned that the darker his skin the more racism he will face, how do we handle this as a family and protect the baby from that should the situation arise, seems sensible for a family as global as they are.

I can’t see Charles being purposefully prejudice and racist when you look at the history of his work. Despite Harry thinking that simply marrying Meghan was enough to absolve him of his own racist past he’s never taken full accountability for it and will never be able to achieve the impact and change Charles has achieved for ethic minority youths with The Prices Trust.