The Royal Family #41

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think the reason it can’t be published in the UK is that the UK media laws over slander and defamation are incredibly strict compared with other countries (I’m trying to remember my media law from my journalism degree here!) and unless they have solid evidence, they can’t publish it, and the reality is the only solid evidence they could ever have would be a recording of the conversation or at a push a copy of the letter from Charles.

It’s the same reason why none of the UK papers have ever published the alleged William/Rose affair. Interestingly in this new book Scobie states there is no injunction out on it as has been speculated, it’s just that no journalist has ever found proof so can’t publish it

• Heart
Reactions: 7
So you know every single friend that they all have?
Also I think in the past the "top" roles in their team required very specific knowledge of the etiquette, history etc of the role of Monarch. Who is likely to have that knowledge? People who have grown up in similar families or been to school in those idiot highly selective schools. I'm not excusing the pale,male,stale recruitment but it does explain why historically I imagine it has happened.

Charles once famously had a crush on one of the 3 Degrees, a person of mixed race I believe. The Price's Trust has also supported thousands of disadvantages people from all backgrounds, races and cultures. He also wanted (though was thwarted) of being known as "Defender of Faiths" didn't he?

I'm not his fan, I find him petty, petulant and pointless, but racist? Nope I don't think so.
but what you’re describing is institutional racism though. “Only X amount of people know the etiquette”. If an institution is formed for a specific set of people, by a certain set of people and includes a specific set of people - that is institutional racism. For example, the met police was found in an inquest to be institutionally racist, partly because a large number of its members were white (among other things). You can apply rationale as to why this might be - more people in the U.K. are white than any other ethnicity for example. But that doesn’t detract from the inherent racism.

Charles having a crush on a woman of colour or black woman doesn’t make him racist or non racist. It could mean he fetishes race as much as it means he doesn’t care about it. It doesn’t mean anything.

charles inner circle is well known - evidenced by the people he keeps in his employ, guests to his personal events, the people who he associates with most closely - the mount battens, the Shands, the van cupsems. I could relay a ton of friends or associates he keeps that are white and aristocratic/upper middle class. I’d struggle to find a single person from a different background.

is Charles, as an individual, racist? I can’t say, I have no idea. But he certainly doesn’t surround himself with people from a diverse range of backgrounds and ethnicities, so it’s fair to assume he doesn’t have a good grasp on the experiences of the vast majority of people in the U.K., an ethnically, socially and culturally diverse country.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Not like Meghan has any idea either considering the fact she was raised as a privileged white girl. Making a comment about what a child could potentially look like is not racist. It was pretty obvious that was all made up to stir up hatred, which worked, and to try to get the upper hand of the situation where these two grifters wanted more and more money, which was the entire basis of why they left. They didn’t get what they wanted, so they tried to go nuclear by making up all kinds of accusations when in reality, the red carpet was rolled out for them, and they were given almost anything and everything they could’ve ever wanted.

It is pretty funny, considering she is the one who married the actual racist with a history of racist behavior.

None of this has actually anything to do with the issue of diversity in royal households.

Reactions: 20
Markle's hardly done anything to promote diversity in royal households. Quite the opposite.

Reactions: 10
Not like Meghan has any idea either considering the fact she was raised as a privileged white girl. Making a comment about what a child could potentially look like is not racist. It was pretty obvious that was all made up to stir up hatred, which worked, and to try to get the upper hand of the situation where these two grifters wanted more and more money, which was the entire basis of why they left. They didn’t get what they wanted, so they tried to go nuclear by making up all kinds of accusations when in reality, the red carpet was rolled out for them, and they were given almost anything and everything they could’ve ever wanted.

It is pretty funny, considering she is the one who married the actual racist with a history of racist behavior.

None of this has actually anything to do with the issue of diversity in royal households.
I agree. The racism with Meghan is difficult to navigate.. I don’t doubt she has experienced it, that there were undertones of it in the press. But she’s also massively ignored the huge goodwill she did enjoy.. and she has used any racism in a manipulative way. It’s difficult to discuss Meghan Markle in the context of racism because I don’t want to perpetuate the myth of the “perfect victim” but equally it’s hard to deny just how much she has I used race as a way to dodge any valid criticism.

like I mentioned before, she hasn’t ever challenged the institutionally racism and lack of diversity in the RF households.

what stood out to me was that she claimed sisterhood with African women when she was doing a tour with Harry of Malawi, Angola, South Africa, and Botswana. They were enjoying great press coverage which plummeted when she decided to do the “no one has asked me if I’m ok” and talked about her own “struggles” while touring a continent that knows all about “struggle”, especially where race is concerned.

it was an ample opportunity to maybe shed light in racism in the midst of good press coverage. But she saw it, apparently felt emboldened by it and used her platform to discuss her own problems. Not to highlight problems in Africa, violence and sexism again women in Africa, poverty in post-colonial Africa. No no, she made it the Meghan Markle show. Who else remembers what was said on that your? Other than the “no one has asked if I’m ok” comment? Cos I sure don’t.

not a great example of sisterhood, and definitely not the right time or place to air grievances. The press coverage of them plummeted after that, and Harry can’t see the wood from the trees and insists it was racism because a headline called Meghan “exotic”. No Harry, it was the joint behaviour of you both that made everyone sour.

Reactions: 13
I suppose the way to tell their commitment to the cause since leaving the royal family is how many of their current staff represent those not at the upper echelons of the royal family. Is Archewell headed up by a middle aged white guy?

Reactions: 2
I suppose the way to tell their commitment to the cause since leaving the royal family is how many of their current staff represent those not at the upper echelons of the royal family. Is Archewell headed up by a middle aged white guy?
I’m not sure on the breakdown of senior staff for Archewell, but it’s currently headed by James Holt, who has been called their right hand Man. To describe him he is…
White ✔
Upper middle class ✔
Male ✔

So… yep.

but what you’re describing is institutional racism though. “Only X amount of people know the etiquette”. If an institution is formed for a specific set of people, by a certain set of people and includes a specific set of people - that is institutional racism. For example, the met police was found in an inquest to be institutionally racist, partly because a large number of its members were white (among other things). You can apply rationale as to why this might be - more people in the U.K. are white than any other ethnicity for example. But that doesn’t detract from the inherent racism.

Charles having a crush on a woman of colour or black woman doesn’t make him racist or non racist. It could mean he fetishes race as much as it means he doesn’t care about it. It doesn’t mean anything.

charles inner circle is well known - evidenced by the people he keeps in his employ, guests to his personal events, the people who he associates with most closely - the mount battens, the Shands, the van cupsems. I could relay a ton of friends or associates he keeps that are white and aristocratic/upper middle class. I’d struggle to find a single person from a different background.

is Charles, as an individual, racist? I can’t say, I have no idea. But he certainly doesn’t surround himself with people from a diverse range of backgrounds and ethnicities, so it’s fair to assume he doesn’t have a good grasp on the experiences of the vast majority of people in the U.K., an ethnically, socially and culturally diverse country.

What you are essentially saying is that if you don't have a group of mixed and diverse friends then you are racists which is nonsense.

I am 56 and my group of friends all consist of people with similar backgrounds and social class. Not planned but just the way it is. We get along because of shared experiences and outlook. It's the same with Charles. Why on earth would he be friends with Dave the bin man from Rotherham? In the area where I grew up in Liverpool there were no people of colour at all. Still isn't to be honest. Very much a white, working class area. Does that make the people in that area racists?

I actually think Charles is probably the most progressive of TRF.

Reactions: 26
What you are essentially saying is that if you don't have a group of mixed and diverse friends then you are racists which is nonsense.

I am 56 and my group of friends all consist of people with similar backgrounds and social class. Not planned but just the way it is. We get along because of shared experiences and outlook. It's the same with Charles. Why on earth would he be friends with Dave the bin man from Rotherham? In the area where I grew up in Liverpool there were no people of colour at all. Still isn't to be honest. Very much a white, working class area. Does that make the people in that area racists?

I actually think Charles is probably the most progressive of TRF.
no, that’s not what I’m saying. for one, you and your group of friends aren’t an institution. The royal family is.

two, I’m not commenting on your personal circumstances. Why shouldn’t Charles be friends with Dave the bin man? As head of state, shouldn’t he make a concerted effort to surround himself with a variety of people?

And regardless, I wasn’t arguing who he should or shouldn’t be friends with. I was making a point that his circle is full of the same Type of people which will inevitably frame his outlook.

• Heart
Catherine the second royal racist? I'm sorry but I don't see it. Sounds like a smear.

Clearly Scobie is getting his information from Marcus Anderson (his ex and Meghans best friend) and other surrounding friends of Meghan. It may be 2 people removed from H+M but it sure smells like them.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
It’s because it’s unproven and therefore slander. Any respectable news source that published it would most likely to subjected to a defamation case. Nothing to do with censoring a UK audience and all to do with our slander laws being way more rigid than other countries.
Could they sue Omid or the publisher for this at all? I forget how strict our slander laws are.
---
Interestingly in this new book Scobie states there is no injunction out on it as has been speculated, it’s just that no journalist has ever found proof so can’t publish it
Could they use the words ‘allegedly’ and get around it that way? Or is that too flimsy an excuse?
Did Scobie reference the affair in his book?!
---
like I mentioned before, she hasn’t ever challenged the institutionally racism and lack of diversity in the RF households.
I don’t think Meghan employed anyone of a different race when she was a royal either? I swear they were all white women with business backgrounds.

Reactions: 2
I posted this in the other thread but Scobie is claiming some 'servant' of Charles read the letter and told him 🤣 You can't make it up.

Reactions: 5
I haven't bought the book but had some time to kill waiting for OH in town so went into Waterstones and had a flick through.... he mentions the affair in his chapter on William. He basically referenced the fact that since 2019 William has been dogged by rumours online surrounding an affair with Rose, explains the whole fallout with Kate article and where it came from originally, and then goes on to say despite online rumours, there is no injunction out stopping them from talking about it and rather that nobody has ever been able to find actual evidence or proof or even anyone willing to speak on record.

He actually was quite sympathetic to William and stated something about how hard it must be to have rumours about your marriage swirling online if they aren't true and said that at the time he was in touch with Jason Knauf (the KP press guy at the time) regarding Finding Freedom and he asked him about it and Jason said he had had to have an awkward meeting with William where he had to ask if the rumours were true so that he could best deal with the issue. Allegedly William's stance was that there was no truth whatsoever and he was fuming about the whole thing. Kate apparently just ignored it and left it to William and the aides to sort out.

He then went on to say this was when Jason allegedly started offering scoops on Meghan and Harry to get the press off the Rose story....which whilst I can believe, I also don't think any reporter worth their salt would opt to cover someone buying a copper bathtub over the heir to throne having an affair.

And the one thing I've always thought regarding the briefing is, no matter where the stories came from, were they true? They never deny half the stuff written about Meghan was true, they just seem to have an issue about how the press found out about it.

Reactions: 9
I remember that years ago (20-25?) that it was reported that Charles had commented on how white the Guards regiments and Household Cavalry were and that he felt that they were being institutionally racist in their recruitment. Certainly you never saw a black face at Trooping the Colour etc then whereas now you do as well as Sikh in their turbans. The King's Troop, Royal Horse Artillery (the ones that do the gun salutes in Hyde Park) are no longer totally white either.

The late Queen Elizabeth had at least one black officer as an equerry. The Royal Household staff that you see in uniform are also now racially mixed. It may take time for people to rise through the ranks and gain the knowledge and experience to run the Households.

There was a story reported about Prince Philip at the time of his death told by a former member of White House staff. Apparently, when he was a butler at the WH, Philip was there on a visit, whether with QE or not. He and another butler went to do something in Philip's room and unexpectedly found him there. They went to leave but he asked them to sit down, poured them a drink each from the drinks tray, and sat talking to them for a while, asking them about their work and their lives. At least one of them was black and they said that Philip treated them far better than other guests and certainly better than they were used to in a still largely segregated USA.

Like Philip, I can see Charles maybe saying something that would now be considered racist or politically correct but without being racist in thought or action. There were some pretty racist words going around when they were growing up.

Reactions: 13

Omid says he'll have to keep the names of the two royal racists to himself for now. They're really dragging the arse out of this.
for goodness sake Scobie, anyone with an internet connection can find them.

• Haha
no, that’s not what I’m saying. for one, you and your group of friends aren’t an institution. The royal family is.

two, I’m not commenting on your personal circumstances. Why shouldn’t Charles be friends with Dave the bin man? As head of state, shouldn’t he make a concerted effort to surround himself with a variety of people?

And regardless, I wasn’t arguing who he should or shouldn’t be friends with. I was making a point that his circle is full of the same Type of people which will inevitably frame his outlook.

I never said he shouldn't but it is highly unlikely that he ever would and there's nothing wrong with that. Charles maybe part of an institution but he is still a human being. His closest friends and people who understand his position will be people from similar backgrounds and that is who he will feel most comfortable with in his downtime.

King Charles has a very sweet friendship with Jay Blades and if you saw the episode of The Repair Shop with King Charles you would see he is very confortable mixing with all sorts of people.

Piers Morgan just named them on his show. It's all about to kick the duck off and I'm just here for the drama 😂

• Haha
  • Wow
Piers Morgan just named them on his show. It's all about to kick the duck off and I'm just here for the drama 😂
And what names did he say?
---
Markle's hardly done anything to promote diversity in royal households. Quite the opposite.
The weird thing was that when they left and had their own staff in America, very very few of them have ever been anything but white

Nothing meghan and Harry do or say stands up to much scrutiny.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.