The Royal Family #39

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t really get why they are at the UK ones. Ok with the Coronation but other events make no sense. We never saw Fergie, Diana’s, Tim’s, Mark’s or Sophie’s relatives being invited all the time.
Hmmm. The Fergusons were a liability (him) and a bolter (her). The Spencers were unpleasant and very unwell (him) and an alcoholic (her). also Diana fell out with both of them at regular intervals. The Laurences? No idea. The Philips, very nice, respectable people (both). Sophie's, delightful (both) though Ma R-J died fairly early. Pa R-J was sighted now and then, as was Camilla's father. I have no idea why the Middletons are a special case.

Reactions: 5
Hmmm. The Fergusons were a liability (him) and a bolter (her). The Spencers were unpleasant and very unwell (him) and an alcoholic (her). also Diana fell out with both of them at regular intervals. The Laurences? No idea. The Philips, very nice, respectable people (both). Sophie's, delightful (both) though Ma R-J died fairly early. Pa R-J was sighted now and then, as was Camilla's father. I have no idea why the Middletons are a special case.
I know Carole was very keen that she wouldn’t “lose access” to Kate once she was married — hence being invited here, there and everywhere by the Queen — but seems weird that this openness extends to Middle Eastern royals. Maybe they bonded over their love of Jordan? Maybe we’ll see them on a Visit Jordan tourism ad soon…

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I know Carole was very keen that she wouldn’t “lose access” to Kate once she was married — hence being invited here, there and everywhere by the Queen — but seems weird that this openness extends to Middle Eastern royals. Maybe they bonded over their love of Jordan? Maybe we’ll see them on a Visit Jordan tourism ad soon…
I can see why they're invited to the British royal events. Kate will be Queen and George will be king. Diana's family were the only other in laws in that position but obviously there was trouble there and the Middletons are a lot closer to William than the Spencers were to Charles. I don't know how they got to know the Jordanian royals well enough to be invited to the wedding though? Was it just Pippa or were the parents there too?

Reactions: 2
Damn Pippa really did get a great deal, she got to meet a billionaire from her sisters contacts but still gets to party with royals
Pippas definitely living the best life.
No annoying royal engagements to do, not getting pictured a million times, not getting critiqued for how her children behave (I don't even know what they look like).
Long lunches in nice restaurants without a care in the world!

Reactions: 12
That's the point in a way. The Philips and the R-Js certainly didn't want to lose access either but that somehow didn't count for anything. It's probably just as well none of them are alive to see it.

That's the point in a way. The Philips and the R-Js certainly didn't want to lose access either but that somehow didn't count for anything. It's probably just as well none of them are alive to see it.
I suppose that’s why Carole had the direct conversation with William at the time of the engagement. She saw what happened to other non-royal in-laws. I’m not saying it’s right, btw, but times and expectations have also changed, I guess.

I can see why they're invited to the British royal events. Kate will be Queen and George will be king. Diana's family were the only other in laws in that position but obviously there was trouble there and the Middletons are a lot closer to William than the Spencers were to Charles. I don't know how they got to know the Jordanian royals well enough to be invited to the wedding though? Was it just Pippa or were the parents there too?
I don’t know, either, tbh! From what I’ve seen, it was Mike and Carole, Will and Kate, Pippa and James. But no James and Alizée.

Reactions: 1
I suppose for them it was a bit different … Mark was never that high profile or a working royal and kept up his equestrian stuff so they probably had as much access as they wanted … and the same with Sophie really. The Middleton’s were always going to be more visible purely by dint of being the future King’s in-laws and grandparents to the next generation. In days gone by they would have acquired a title well before now.

Reactions: 3
From what we’ve read of the Middletons and how William saw them as a new family and comfort, I can imagine them being a “we’re all family now” kinda family after the wedding, Y’know the kind to host big family BBQs with both sides of the family there with grandkids. So they’re probably just seen as genuine friends/family now. I like the idea of that kind of dynamic, my parents are the we’ll only interact with the other side at a big family event kind and it just makes it more awkward.

It's a bit odd they be at this wedding but maybe it's a Jordanian cultural thing given the family's link with their country

Reactions: 2
It's a bit odd they be at this wedding but maybe it's a Jordanian cultural thing given the family's link with their country
Apparently they’re friends with Queen Raina. But also they’re private people so how would any of us know who their friends are and what sort of connections they have?

Also William and the Crown Prince are apparently very good friends. William did give him a big hug!

Damn Pippa really did get a great deal, she got to meet a billionaire from her sisters contacts but still gets to party with royals. I wonder how the Middleton’s even started hanging out with the Jordanian royals enough to get an invite.
I’m assuming Pippa’s husband is wealthy enough and thus very well connected that we have no idea who they hang out with. They all go shooting, racing etc

Prince George is the same age as Princess Haya's son, I suspect now she's based in London there might be the odd play date.

Yeah I don’t think the Middletons are there purely due to being Kate’s family, they clearly have some connection and relationship with them. Personally I think they should be at the UK events, I mean they only really attend the major ceremonies and what, Ascot and Wimbledon? It’s not like they’re out there every day at BP. And you could argue that in return for the scrutiny they’re now under, it’s a nice return. They are the parents of the future Queen and I think unless William had married someone whose family where disfunctional, whoever his in laws were would get the same treatment

Reactions: 12
Princess Beatrice wearing York tiara. Nice to see it after so many years.

I wonder if William decided to be more inclusive towards them as it was said that he enjoyed staying with them and doing "middle class" stuff like washing the car and mowing the lawn. So instead of dropping them as soon as the wedding was over he welcomed them into the royal fold. Maybe they make him feel part of something that he didn't have but wanted.

Reactions: 9
I tend to assume the Middletons are probably quite sociable, and likely have built relationships with people at the events they were invited to because of Kate.
With a family connection through their daughter, if they are then liked by someone having an event, an invitation is hardly unusual.

I doubt anyone is being forced to invite them, so if they're popular enough to be wanted at events, more power to 'em.

I wonder if William decided to be more inclusive towards them as it was said that he enjoyed staying with them and doing "middle class" stuff like washing the car and mowing the lawn. So instead of dropping them as soon as the wedding was over he welcomed them into the royal fold. Maybe they make him feel part of something that he didn't have but wanted.
The Middletons are middle class, indeed her family even part working class with some miners a few generations back. The Spencers however were aristocracy with Althorp, a grand stately home, so it is a different situation

To be honest I think it's not a bad thing that Kate has the support of her family. Prince Philip and Diana had both much less access to their families - for different reasons and it must have been quite hard for them to navigate the rf life without unconditionnal support that family can be. Diana didn't get the support of her own brother when she was in a very precarious situation.

It's probably good for Kate's sanity to know there are people she can trust and confide to. And it brings to her kids a sense of what a "normal" family can be. Marriage is not only about marrying someone but whether we want it or not - it's also somehow marrying their family. They will be always part of the picture. From a personal experience I am very happy to have great in-laws and it makes my life easier compared to some of my friends that have tense relationship with their in-laws.

It's not Meghan's fault but it made much more difficult her entry in the RF to have a such messy family - and not much contacts with both sides apart a few relatives. Meghan's mother seems to be very close to her and Harry and that's good but I am certain that their fallouts with various family members on both side casts a shadow for Harry and Meghan.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.