The Royal Family #39

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A judge has ruled against Harry bringing a second challenge regarding police protection in Britain

Reactions: 9
I don’t think Kate not being a gifted speaker is a problem. She improved and if that’s as good as she gets, that’s fine. She put work in and doesn’t shy away from it and that’s what counts.
I also disagree that the idea of an independent commoner with a real profession just happened with Meghan. And Sophie isn’t the only one. Kate, while not exactly holding a profession most definitely was a commoner. There are so many people related or connected to aristocracy or even the RF, it’s hardly newsworthy if you are not mingling with them on first name basis. The most exciting thing about M was that she is US-American and a well known actress. Not Oscar material but her role in Suits most definitely made her recognisable to a lot of people. Suits was quite successful. I believe the prejudice that US Americans have a hard time adapting to other ways of life, being loud (not just volume), forefront and always talking in superlatives, ignorant to the customs and culture of others or dismissive about them, being superficial and always overexcited played the biggest part why so many of her actions/looks/words got ripped to shreds. The Hollywood connections didn’t help. If she had done theatre, people would have loved it. Most of the BIG UK names make sure to get real theatre drama experience (and the obligatory period drama appearance). But Hollywood is seen as highly superficial and wasteful. Of course those are prejudices but in my opinion they really hurt M in her try to win the public.

Reactions: 7
I don’t think Kate not being a gifted speaker is a problem. She improved and if that’s as good as she gets, that’s fine. She put work in and doesn’t shy away from it and that’s what counts.
I also disagree that the idea of an independent commoner with a real profession just happened with Meghan. And Sophie isn’t the only one. Kate, while not exactly holding a profession most definitely was a commoner. There are so many people related or connected to aristocracy or even the RF, it’s hardly newsworthy if you are not mingling with them on first name basis. The most exciting thing about M was that she is US-American and a well known actress. Not Oscar material but her role in Suits most definitely made her recognisable to a lot of people. Suits was quite successful. I believe the prejudice that US Americans have a hard time adapting to other ways of life, being loud (not just volume), forefront and always talking in superlatives, ignorant to the customs and culture of others or dismissive about them, being superficial and always overexcited played the biggest part why so many of her actions/looks/words got ripped to shreds. The Hollywood connections didn’t help. If she had done theatre, people would have loved it. Most of the BIG UK names make sure to get real theatre drama experience (and the obligatory period drama appearance). But Hollywood is seen as highly superficial and wasteful. Of course those are prejudices but in my opinion they really hurt M in her try to win the public.
Totally agree and I think a big thing that played into this was she came across as quite "image" obsessed - all her friends were celebs/happy to speak publicly, she liked to hang at Soho House, seemed to only want to partake in the glitzy engagements and projects (to be fair I remember how out of place I thought she looked when she visited the care home in a bodycon dress)... it all just helped to play into the perceived image of her as only wanting the glam side of royalty when really it's a lot of boring engagements and fusty old palaces. She sort of did all the opposite things to what we were used to royals being, after all they'd all spent so long trying to paint this relatable image (the Queen and her tupperware anyone?)

• Wow
Totally agree and I think a big thing that played into this was she came across as quite "image" obsessed - all her friends were celebs/happy to speak publicly, she liked to hang at Soho House, seemed to only want to partake in the glitzy engagements and projects (to be fair I remember how out of place I thought she looked when she visited the care home in a bodycon dress)... it all just helped to play into the perceived image of her as only wanting the glam side of royalty when really it's a lot of boring engagements and fusty old palaces. She sort of did all the opposite things to what we were used to royals being, after all they'd all spent so long trying to paint this relatable image (the Queen and her tupperware anyone?)
People say that she hit the ground running but I think what actually happened was what you described. She loved the attention and the limelight and the positive reactions and she kept going out to get them - it wasn't work to her in the same way that it's work to Kate. Kate and William have always given the impression that they'd rather just be at home with family and they're not interested in celebrity friendships whereas Meghan loved that side of royalty and that made her a tabloid dream.

Reactions: 9
If even half of Meghan's stories about how unprepared and unsupported she was are true, it shows that Harry is a terrible partner/husband. He has a therapist, his mother had a therapist, he would have known exactly what to do to get her access to mental health support. Either a stay in a discreet clinic or an on-call psychiatric nurse at home if necessary. It could have been spun to the media as "the Duchess requiring some medical treatment relating to her pregnancy."

Apparently Princess Margaret had ECT at some point.

Reactions: 21
If even half of Meghan's stories about how unprepared and unsupported she was are true, it shows that Harry is a terrible partner/husband. He has a therapist, his mother had a therapist, he would have known exactly what to do to get her access to mental health support. Either a stay in a discreet clinic or an on-call psychiatric nurse at home if necessary. It could have been spun to the media as "the Duchess requiring some medical treatment relating to her pregnancy."

I think Meghan had somewhere in mind she wanted to go, some sort of retreat or clinic and the RF couldn’t be sure it wouldn’t leak. I don’t know know why they couldn’t compromise if she was that in need of someone to talk to and do as you suggest though. Or maybe that was offered but we all what Meghan wants, Meghan gets!

I get the feeling from much of what Harry and Meghan have said that Harry has failed to support her as appropriate and necessary.
I do wonder how much anger, resentment, and public backlash could have been avoided had Harry given Meghan sufficient information about protocols and the like, or had Meghan been willing to learn from someone other than Harry.

It might be nice to feel like your wife is a breath of fresh air and unchanged by royalty, but when she believes her son is being deprived of a title and being treated differently because of his skin colour due to you failing to inform her he doesn't yet have a right to that title, it's an issue.

Reactions: 19
I get the feeling from much of what Harry and Meghan have said that Harry has failed to support her as appropriate and necessary.
I do wonder how much anger, resentment, and public backlash could have been avoided had Harry given Meghan sufficient information about protocols and the like, or had Meghan been willing to learn from someone other than Harry.

It might be nice to feel like your wife is a breath of fresh air and unchanged by royalty, but when she believes her son is being deprived of a title and being treated differently because of his skin colour due to you failing to inform her he doesn't yet have a right to that title, it's an issue.
I don’t think it’s that simple. I think Harry probably did say he isn’t entitled yet, but they both concluded that the family make the rules and could have changed them to give the titles if they had wanted. And that’s where the conspiracy part on their side comes in.

The more I learn about both Harry and Meghan I just think they’re very very bad for each other. They seem to feed of each other’s negativity and sense of injustice.

I definitely don’t think they deserve the level of hate they get, but I equally don’t think they should still be pushing all these narratives about the Nasty Royals… Meghan has now not been in the family for longer than she has been in it. Give it a rest and move on with your lives.

Reactions: 14
People say that she hit the ground running but I think what actually happened was what you described. She loved the attention and the limelight and the positive reactions and she kept going out to get them - it wasn't work to her in the same way that it's work to Kate. Kate and William have always given the impression that they'd rather just be at home with family and they're not interested in celebrity friendships whereas Meghan loved that side of royalty and that made her a tabloid dream.
I don't think she really understood what being a royal would involve at the start. That story about her being outraged that gifts sent to her were returned seems credible.

She saw being royalty as higher level of celebrity. When in reality yes it's lots of privilege and fame, but it's not without it's trappings.

Harry should have explained more what the life would be and Meghan should of taken up the queen's advice to be guided by Sophie.

The penny dropped probably way before the wedding but it still all went ahead.

No one accidentally befriends a range of people like piers Morgan, Tanya burr and made in Chelsea types unless they have big ambitions.

Their half in and half out stuff was totally unworkable. They can't do royal stuff occasionally to maintain the profile and in-between this sell themselves out to whoever writes the biggest cheque. In the documentary they acted that the royal family was stupid to not go for this deal with all the free value they'll add 🙄.

Reactions: 22
I very much agree about the big ambitions. Marrying into the British Royal Family would be seen as a massive career move in terms of her celebrity status.When it all got a bit boring she thought she could relocate and set up her own version of a royal court in Montecito and be Princess Meghan with all the trappings.

Reactions: 13
I think Meghan had somewhere in mind she wanted to go, some sort of retreat or clinic and the RF couldn’t be sure it wouldn’t leak. I don’t know know why they couldn’t compromise if she was that in need of someone to talk to and do as you suggest though. Or maybe that was offered but we all what Meghan wants, Meghan gets!
Apparently the retreat belonged to her friend so there were concerns it would be “leaked” as free publicity for her friend’s business.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
I don't think she really understood what being a royal would involve at the start. That story about her being outraged that gifts sent to her were returned seems credible.

She saw being royalty as higher level of celebrity. When in reality yes it's lots of privilege and fame, but it's not without it's trappings.

Harry should have explained more what the life would be and Meghan should of taken up the queen's advice to be guided by Sophie.

The penny dropped probably way before the wedding but it still all went ahead.

No one accidentally befriends a range of people like piers Morgan, Tanya burr and made in Chelsea types unless they have big ambitions.

Their half in and half out stuff was totally unworkable. They can't do royal stuff occasionally to maintain the profile and in-between this sell themselves out to whoever writes the biggest cheque. In the documentary they acted that the royal family was stupid to not go for this deal with all the free value they'll add 🙄.
They really overestimate the free value they provide to the RF. For them, it seems to centre on Megan's skin colour being an asset in the CW which is incredibly patronising and more colonial in tone than the public position of the RF which seems to be we'll stay at long as we're wanted and if we're voted out then that's fine.

They really overestimate the free value they provide to the RF. For them, it seems to centre on Megan's skin colour being an asset in the CW which is incredibly patronising and more colonial in tone than the public position of the RF which seems to be we'll stay at long as we're wanted and if we're voted out then that's fine.
Totally agree. And Meghan's idea that they were offering all this free stuff is disingenuous. Doing royal stuff a couple of days a year when they feel like it would have mainly benefitted those two and would be likely to spiral into a mess.

Reactions: 5
Totally agree. And Meghan's idea that they were offering all this free stuff is disingenuous. Doing royal stuff a couple of days a year when they feel like it would have mainly benefitted those two and would be likely to spiral into a mess.
They make it sound like they would do it out of the goodness of their hearts when we all know that it would have been free publicity for them and the kind of publicity and selling point that no other celebrity could ever access.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.