The Royal Family #39

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
The truly charitable don't brag about it and you only usually find out when they die.
I always wonder if some of them have NDA's on it to stop people talking about it. šŸ˜
Like George Michael. He was a great example of that. And got so much bad press. Would have been such an easy PR move for him to make it known in his life.

Reactions: 7
ā€¦ā€¦ā€¦isnā€™t the point of royal patronage to bring awarenessā€¦ā€¦..hard to do if they keep it down low?

Reactions: 6
Why is keeping charity work a secret a more honourable thing to do? Speaking to people about them donating to charity has encouraged me to give and brought my attention to charities I hadnā€™t heard about. If people sharing it helps raise more money how is that not better than everyone keeping stuff to themselves out of pressurised humility?

I mean to be fair if the royals did all of their charity work in private we would all be moaning that they donā€™t do anything and we canā€™t claim that they donā€™t do anything private in addition to what they do publicly because the key word is private, how would we know?! As mentioned, the private stuff will only likely be truly revealed once theyā€™ve died and people come out with stories

Reactions: 3
Why is keeping charity work a secret a more honourable thing to do? Speaking to people about them donating to charity has encouraged me to give and brought my attention to charities I hadnā€™t heard about. If people sharing it helps raise more money how is that not better than everyone keeping stuff to themselves out of pressurised humility?
They probably don't want to be lumped together with those celebs who fly off to places like Africa, posing around and hugging the children to make themselves look charitable and philanthropic.

Reactions: 4
Prince Louis reminds me of those children that always have the be the centre of attention.

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 12
Prince Louis reminds me of those children that always have the be the centre of attention.
so a normal 5 year old then?

It's well known and researched that children of that age are self-centred and have difficultly thinking outside of their own viewpoint.

• Haha
Reactions: 27
ā€œ Ooh look darlings. Poor people!ā€
Good lord.
According to this, there is going to be a mixture of private, affordable and social housing. Hmmm.

didnā€™t Diana do something very similar with the boys when they were kids?

Reactions: 2
He's a 5 year old who's the youngest of 3. Unless he was very shy, wanting to (and being used to) have attention on him is basically the default setting.

It's also worth remembering that whether he wants the attention or not, he was assigned the "cute troublemaker" label by the press whilst too young to have developed decent impulse control, so people are now looking for those behaviours. If he sits quietly for an hour, then messes about for five minutes, it's that five minutes that will show up in gifs, videos, and articles.

Reactions: 34
He's a 5 year old who's the youngest of 3. Unless he was very shy, wanting to (and being used to) have attention on him is basically the default setting.

It's also worth remembering that whether he wants the attention or not, he was assigned the "cute troublemaker" label by the press whilst too young to have developed decent impulse control, so people are now looking for those behaviours. If he sits quietly for an hour, then messes about for five minutes, it's that five minutes that will show up in gifs, videos, and articles.
I think it would be more concerning if he didn't show a bit of character and just sat there quietly without reacting to anything? I like seeing all the children at these official events and they appear happy to be included which is all that matters really.

Reactions: 16
To be fair- itā€™s not the job of the RF to do charity. They do it, so the public accepts that they pay for more than just the monarch and spouse. I think that is a fair trade. On paper. I do wish the Walses would find a better way to present their work (and do some things differently, like up numbers and other stuff I have talked in length about before).
But they are not required to do so. In terms of being public about it- I think it looks most sincere if someone supports a topic over decades and speaks publicly about and and raises awareness AND also does quiet work without any public praise.

I think the benchmark for working with an established charity would be Princess Anne and her over 50 year association with Save the Children.
Starting something from scratch ā€¦ the Duke of Edinburgh award scheme and/or Princeā€™s Trust.

Reactions: 13
didnā€™t Diana do something very similar with the boys when they were kids?
I donā€™t know whether she pointed out homeless people to them as they whizzed to and from their palace in a chauffeur driven car but she certainly took them to Centrepoint. Wasnā€™t she patron of Centrepoint and William took over from her?

Yeah the interview starts by saying he was first introduced to the charity by Diana when he was 11. I think the whole ā€œpointing out homeless people to the kidsā€ line was badly worded. He was trying to say (I think) that heā€™s introducing them to the idea that not everyone is as privileged as them etc but of course the headline is going to be ā€œWillaim points out homeless people to his kidsā€ which sounds a bit šŸ˜¬

Reactions: 10
Yeah the interview starts by saying he was first introduced to the charity by Diana when he was 11. I think the whole ā€œpointing out homeless people to the kidsā€ line was badly worded. He was trying to say (I think) that heā€™s introducing them to the idea that not everyone is as privileged as them etc but of course the headline is going to be ā€œWillaim points out homeless people to his kidsā€ which sounds a bit šŸ˜¬
I do get that, but it happens so often. Their words were misconstrued or misquoted or taken out of context.
What I find problematic is that an issue like homelessness ( or Early Years Education) is so huge, so complex and so multifaceted that APPEARING to think that you can just build some homes on bits of your huge swathes of land and everything will be lovely seems naive. There are as many reasons for homelessness as there are homeless people. Will there be access to, for example, mental health support, addiction treatment, debt counselling, job opportunities or training etc.? And how will the homeless people be ā€˜chosenā€™ to fill these homes?
Iā€™m not knocking the intention behind this - doesnā€™t everyone think that the fact that there are still homeless people in this country is genuinely appalling? Iā€™m just extremely dubious about this latest ā€˜projectā€™.
Fwiw, Iā€™m not a fan of Charles or his father, BUT I fully acknowledge that both the DoE awards and the Princes Trust have done an incredible amount of good, particularly for kids from difficult backgrounds who wouldnā€™t otherwise have had a hope in hell, so Iā€™m not just knocking this because of my inherent dislike of the royals.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I do get that, but it happens so often. Their words were misconstrued or misquoted or taken out of context.
What I find problematic is that an issue like homelessness ( or Early Years Education) is so huge, so complex and so multifaceted that APPEARING to think that you can just build some homes on bits of your huge swathes of land and everything will be lovely seems naive. There are as many reasons for homelessness as there are homeless people. Will there be access to, for example, mental health support, addiction treatment, debt counselling, job opportunities or training etc.? And how will the homeless people be ā€˜chosenā€™ to fill these homes?
Iā€™m not knocking the intention behind this - doesnā€™t everyone think that the fact that there are still homeless people in this country is genuinely appalling? Iā€™m just extremely dubious about this latest ā€˜projectā€™.
Fwiw, Iā€™m not a fan of Charles or his father, BUT I fully acknowledge that both the DoE awards and the Princes Trust have done an incredible amount of good, particularly for kids from difficult backgrounds who wouldnā€™t otherwise have had a hope in hell, so Iā€™m not just knocking this because of my inherent dislike of the royals.
I think this is a huge problem both William and Kate are going to face with these, especially the homeless one.

The argument i'd have with the homeless one is that it's so disingenuous from someone like him who's family are incredibly wealthy who take tax payers money from local projects and councils who are probably doing a better job at this and are massively underfunded.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.