The Royal Family #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To be fair to Prince William and King Charles they do at least still have a throne to sit on, Prince Pavlos doesn't Greece now being a republic. The Princess of Wales as has already been pointed out is very highly educated, AAB at A Level including an A grade in a STEM subject and graduated from St Andrews in History of Art. She also plays the piano very well and the King has interests in history and architecture and the environment and plays the cello
Tyllie, in fairness, very highly educated, to me at least implies, Masters, doctorates, etc. Or a legal/medicine qualification. I'm doing History of Art and French as a vanity project thing but assuming I get through it, I still won't be 'very highly educated'.

Reactions: 9
Brainy people not in their DNA Diana used to jokingly admit that she was thick as a plank.
Got to hand her that, she was honest about it. Harry yet again blames tHe PrEsS for making him out to be thick. Err, no, your grades do that job for them mate.

Reactions: 8
Grades aren’t everything and I know some people who didn’t go to university but I would consider them intelligent and educated. One friend of mine speaks several languages, reads classical books and has a deep interest in other cultures and history. But they left school at 16. Whereas you hear of some people who go and get degrees but they coast by.

Reactions: 10
Tyllie, in fairness, very highly educated, to me at least implies, Masters, doctorates, etc. Or a legal/medicine qualification. I'm doing History of Art and French as a vanity project thing but assuming I get through it, I still won't be 'very highly educated'.
I would even go further. Her A Level results are good but not extraordinarily good. It’s still school level. In our equivalent test every pupil will take a math test- with some doing it on an extra advanced level. From what I gathered the UK curriculum is somewhere in the middle, leading towards advanced.
Being highly educated to me, would mean she is either a PhD in her field or extremely educated in several fields.
Not to talk her achievements down. But having an MA and playing the piano well is not crazy accomplished. I think over selling her accomplishments is hurting Kate more than anything else. Because it sets expectations she often doesn’t meet. Championing a topic for 5+ years, groundbreaking work yada yada yada and then all you get are flat quotes? That dissonances make her look bad.
In the end up to getting a BSC/BA is not exactly up to bring extra smart. With the right support and resources everyone within a normal intellect space can do it. That’s if the frustrating thing about inequality. Getting your MA goes deeper but is still quite far away from the research and years a PhD requires. I see no reason the Walses won’t go down the university degree route. They have the resources to get through. I think every degree is worth the time you put in it. You might not get to be an expert but some stuff sticks and education in never wrong.
Not saying you aren’t smart if you don’t go that route! And failing at uni also doesn’t necessarily say something about your intellectual capacities.

Reactions: 7
Watched the Repair Shop earlier with KC. It’s not a programme I usually watch but was interested as it garnered quite a bit of publicity. I really enjoyed it and love how the King champions skilled workers and apprentices. I find him quite interested and personal. Far more than TLQ who came across as aloof sometimes.

Reactions: 10
Watched the Repair Shop earlier with KC. It’s not a programme I usually watch but was interested as it garnered quite a bit of publicity. I really enjoyed it and love how the King champions skilled workers and apprentices. I find him quite interested and personal. Far more than TLQ who came across as aloof sometimes.
Yes I’ve said before I only ever saw the Queen smile more as she got older or smile over the years when she was around horses! I always found her aloof and I find Anne similar. Charles seems more personable and he did good things with the Prince’s Trust.

Reactions: 13
Why? You can get a Masters or even doctorates with straight C grades at A level and GCSE now. No member of the working royal family is going to be an academic, lawyer or doctor so why would then need qualifications beyond an undergraduate degree? If you want a relevant degree for royals history is probably the most relevant

Reactions: 2
Yes I’ve said before I only ever saw the Queen smile more as she got older or smile over the years when she was around horses! I always found her aloof and I find Anne similar. Charles seems more personable and he did good things with the Prince’s Trust.
Oh yeah she didn't smile once during the 2012 Olympics. Not once.

Reactions: 1
Kate has a BA. I would say having a MA is accomplished.
My perspective is different as the MA is still the norm here because when we changed our system to Bachelors and Masters (mostly for international compatibility) a Bachelor/Master combination was basically the same as our old degree in terms of content, tests and semesters (around 8-12 semesters). So when it started a Bachelor was worth basically nothing. It has changed a bit since then but if you want to make a career you better have that Master. The only difference is that you don’t need to have a consecutive combination. The good things is that more people end up with a degree. They reach a bachelor when before they would drop out around the intermediate with no degree whatsoever.
---
Why? You can get a Masters or even doctorates with straight C grades at A level and GCSE now. No member of the working royal family is going to be an academic, lawyer or doctor so why would then need qualifications beyond an undergraduate degree? If you want a relevant degree for royals history is probably the most relevant
I think international politics, philosophy, history and some extracurricular such as sociology, economics, international culture studies would be a good foundation for someone talking to people from lots of different backgrounds, being into soft diplomacy and talking to politicians quite a bit (one even in an advisory/sounding board capacity). Languages aren’t too shabby as well.
Other degrees are more an insight into what they are interested in. Which could basically be substituted by a cool hobby. Kate’s photography and commitment to several sports goes into that direction. Queen Margarete (DK) has a degree in archeology and is a respected illustrator (children’s books and theatre decoration). If Kate would lean even more into her photography outside from her children and painting (there was watercolour which surprised me, but then I can’t paint to save my life) this could be beneficial. It would add some interest into her public persona. She also could put more emphasis on her sporty stuff, we all have talked about various options. It would be totally believable.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2
I still can’t get my head around The Queen being mentioned and it’s Camilla they mean and not Lizzie.

Reactions: 14
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.