The Royal Family #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
To be fair, unless you are Lang Lang, playing the piano comes under the heading of ‘hobby’.

She has grade 3 piano (plus grade 5 theory) so she’s not exactly hugely musically accomplished - more she can play the basics to a reasonable standard rather than orchestra level of performance. The piece she played for Eurovision was pretty simplistic musically but let’s face it with the Norland nanny and the bare minimum of engagements undertaken she does have plenty of time to practice!

• Sad
Reactions: 10
Jesus Christ there’s some snidey comments on here about Kate, too skinny, too gold diggery, terrible taste in clothes, hair, make up, too lazy, not clever enough, didn’t try hard at uni, not good enough at the piano………i know this isn’t a rave thread but shes sn easy target. She’s so bland I struggle to see how she can give such offence……

Reactions: 18
Jesus Christ there’s some snidey comments on here about Kate, too skinny, too gold diggery, terrible taste in clothes, hair, make up, too lazy, not clever enough, didn’t try hard at uni, not good enough at the piano………i know this isn’t a rave thread but shes sn easy target. She’s so bland I struggle to see how she can give such offence……
The ones who tend to rant the most about Kate here also comment on the Harry and Meghan Rave Thread. Perhaps that explains their great offence about Kate.

• Haha
Reactions: 18
My issue with her is that she’s so incredibly dull and doesn’t seem to do anything much. Don’t much like her look but that’s just my personal taste, she’s just beyond bland

Reactions: 1
The ones who tend to rant the most about Kate here also comment on the Harry and Meghan Rave Thread. Perhaps that explains their great offence about Kate.
No it doesn’t. It’s not an either/or with Kate and Meghan. You don’t have to pick a side. People act like the rave thread is full of sugars, it’s not. It’s just people who want to discuss H&M without having to deal with haters. It’s not a thread about Kate. Both Meghan and Kate have rave threads anyway. This thread is for critiquing royals, of which Kate is a senior one. So yeah, she’s going to cop criticism. This is the place for it. I do think it’s unfair that she cops more criticism than William though, it’s not like she’s supposed to outshine him.

I like Kate, but she doesn’t do much, and it’s fair enough that that’s pointed out. Claiming she’s highly educated just isn’t true, she has an undergraduate degree like half the population. I think the skinny comments get pretty old, but body comments happen on threads, just look at the anti-H&M thread.

Reactions: 9
I don't mind Kate. She does what you need from a British Princess, turns up looking lovely and doesn't scare the horses.

Big Willy made the right choice there. Can you imagine the carnage if he'd married Diana mk 2 or a Meghan type 😱😱😱 Absolute chaos.

No Kate was the best candidate for the role.

And - given how Ms Markle looked like a frightened rabbit at the walkabout with the Wales, I got a feeling that Dull as Ditchwater Kate is someone you cross at your peril!!!

Reactions: 19
I don't mind Kate. She does what you need from a British Princess, turns up looking lovely and doesn't scare the horses.

Big Willy made the right choice there. Can you imagine the carnage if he'd married Diana mk 2 or a Meghan type 😱😱😱 Absolute chaos.

No Kate was the best candidate for the role.

And - given how Ms Markle looked like a frightened rabbit at the walkabout with the Wales, I got a feeling that Dull as Ditchwater Kate is someone you cross at your peril!!!
What walkabout, when TLQ died?

No it doesn’t. It’s not an either/or with Kate and Meghan. You don’t have to pick a side. People act like the rave thread is full of sugars, it’s not. It’s just people who want to discuss H&M without having to deal with haters. It’s not a thread about Kate. Both Meghan and Kate have rave threads anyway. This thread is for critiquing royals, of which Kate is a senior one. So yeah, she’s going to cop criticism. This is the place for it. I do think it’s unfair that she cops more criticism than William though, it’s not like she’s supposed to outshine him.

I like Kate, but she doesn’t do much, and it’s fair enough that that’s pointed out. Claiming she’s highly educated just isn’t true, she has an undergraduate degree like half the population. I think the skinny comments get pretty old, but body comments happen on threads, just look at the anti-H&M thread.
Even being neutral on H&M is quite niche by now though, given that only 17% are. A strong dislike of them is more mainstream, going by both YouGov and day-to-day conversations here in England (at the hairdressers, GP’s waiting room and what have you). Personally, I’ve got to say I’ve never come across any of the 17%, let alone the 23/29% who support them 🤷‍♀️ Perhaps they tend to move in their own circles, IDK.

Even being neutral on H&M is quite niche by now though, given that only 17% are. A strong dislike of them is more mainstream, going by both YouGov and day-to-day conversations here in England (at the hairdressers, GP’s waiting room and what have you). Personally, I’ve got to say I’ve never come across any of the 17%, let alone the 23/29% who support them 🤷‍♀️ Perhaps they tend to move in their own circles, IDK.
Horses for courses isn’t it - I don’t know a single person in real life who’s bothered by her. A lot of indifference where I am.

Reactions: 8
Horses for courses isn’t it - I don’t know a single person in real life who’s bothered by her. A lot of indifference where I am.
That’s why I referred to random conversations with unknown people rather than say my own particular social group. But then again, is any conversation truly random? You’re more likely to strike up a chat, even in a ‘leveller situation’ with those around your same age etc. So I get what you’re saying.

17% on YouGov is still shockingly low though.

I think it’s largely age-based? Not entirely of course, but that’s how it seems to go here. I know people who don’t like her, but they’re all royalists aged 60+. No one my age wants to analyse or talk about the royals, which is why I pop up here sometimes. I can’t speak for England of course, where I’m sure it’s more controversial, but here in NZ Meghan wouldn’t come up as a topic of conversation at the hairdressers or the doctors, and people would be a bit weirded out by a random bringing her up to chat about. But we take the piss out of the royals generally so 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, it doesn’t fuss me if people like her or not, I’m just pointing out that people don’t need to pick a side, and people who critique Kate aren’t automatically huge Meghan fans. Sometimes people just think they’re all a pack of privileged dickheads 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I think it’s largely age-based? Not entirely of course, but that’s how it seems to go here. I know people who don’t like her, but they’re all royalists aged 60+. No one my age wants to analyse or talk about the royals, which is why I pop up here sometimes. I can’t speak for England of course, where I’m sure it’s more controversial, but here in NZ Meghan wouldn’t come up as a topic of conversation at the hairdressers or the doctors, and people would be a bit weirded out by a random bringing her up to chat about. But we take the piss out of the royals generally so 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, it doesn’t fuss me if people like her or not, I’m just pointing out that people don’t need to pick a side, and people who critique Kate aren’t automatically huge Meghan fans. Sometimes people just think they’re all a pack of privileged dickheads 😂
Yeah, I think so too. Writing the above made me realize my ‘randomers’ perhaps weren’t as random as all that! I mean, it’s a sad reflection on society and the generational gap/chasm that I know that if I were in a social setting, just me and a stranger who was in their teens, 20s or even 30s, we’d both be furiously ignoring each other and looking at our screens. With someone my own age it could go either way, but we’d probably acknowledge each other and at least exchange a few words. Anyone older though and I’d feel positively rude ignoring them and I’d be striking up a conversation. So yes, definitely, my ‘random’ conversations with strangers over the last few months have been skewed! I’ve just realized I NEVER talk to young people; ANY young people! There aren’t any in my social circle either. Wow. Any way, as you were…

YouGov though.

Yeah, I think so too. Writing the above made me realize my ‘randomers’ perhaps weren’t as random as all that! I mean, it’s a sad reflection on society and the generational gap/chasm that I know that if I were in a social setting, just me and a stranger who was in their teens, 20s or even 30s, we’d both be furiously ignoring each other and looking at our screens. With someone my own age it could go either way, but we’d probably acknowledge each other and at least exchange a few words. Anyone older though and I’d feel positively rude ignoring them and I’d be striking up a conversation. So yes, definitely, my ‘random’ conversations with strangers over the last few months have been skewed! I’ve just realized I NEVER talk to young people; ANY young people! There aren’t any in my social circle either. Wow. Any way, as you were…

YouGov though.
The yougov are probably as accurate as any other poll. You said 17% ambivalent, 23-29% support and the rest don’t support? That seems right with what I know of England’s opinion. At minimum that’s just over half surveyed that dislike them, possibly as much as 60% . What I’d be curious about is how many of that 50-60% dislike royals generally, how many are fanatical royal fans who specifically dislike H&M, and how many are just sick of the whole media circus! I’d be curious how many actively watch all the hate videos on YouTube regularly too, because I honestly find that such a weird use of time. I think that’s a pretty small number though, I’d wager most think they just talk too much, with the book AND doco at the same time. And I like them but that’s a fair point. 😂

Reactions: 6
The yougov are probably as accurate as any other poll. You said 17% ambivalent, 23-29% support and the rest don’t support? That seems right with what I know of England’s opinion. At minimum that’s just over half surveyed that dislike them, possibly as much as 60% . What I’d be curious about is how many of that 50-60% dislike royals generally, how many are fanatical royal fans who specifically dislike H&M, and how many are just sick of the whole media circus! I’d be curious how many actively watch all the hate videos on YouTube regularly too, because I honestly find that such a weird use of time. I think that’s a pretty small number though, I’d wager most think they just talk too much, with the book AND doco at the same time. And I like them but that’s a fair point. 😂
I agree with all you say. That’s how I’d define my own views on them, that I think they talk too much! I’ve never bought a tabloid in my life (or any other newspaper come to that, other than a hyper-local one) and I’m blissfully unaware of the hate videos. I think Harry in particular truly believes that ‘the press’ is turning people against them when it’s in fact his own interviews and esp Spare. I didn’t care about them either way until they got annoying!

You know what was a bit more worrying in my not-so-random conversations with 50+ yr old strangers in Middle England over the last few weeks though? None of them believed that Prince Andrew had done much wrong!!

Charles more popular than I’d have thought, but probably riding the Coronation wave. People STILL quite negative about Camilla (I like her, personally). And the one that got me the most - so many truly believe that Harry isn’t Charles’s son and that a DNA result has been covered up! 🤯🙈 Where do you start?!

I agree with all you say. That’s how I’d define my own views on them, that I think they talk too much! I’ve never bought a tabloid in my life (or any other newspaper come to that, other than a hyper-local one) and I’m blissfully unaware of the hate videos. I think Harry in particular truly believes that ‘the press’ is turning people against them when it’s in fact his own interviews and esp Spare. I didn’t care about them either way until they got annoying!

You know what was a bit more worrying in my not-so-random conversations with 50+ yr old strangers in Middle England over the last few weeks though? None of them believed that Prince Andrew had done much wrong!!

Charles more popular than I’d have thought, but probably riding the Coronation wave. People STILL quite negative about Camilla (I like her, personally). And the one that got me the most - so many truly believe that Harry isn’t Charles’s son and that a DNA result has been covered up! 🤯🙈 Where do you start?!
Yeah, I know a couple of old women (70+) who think Andrew’s innocent!! It’s so so gross!

I actually liked Spare. *ducks as people throw shoes* 😂
It gave me much more of an understanding into how Harry thinks about it all. His press interviews around it were strange, though. The book didn’t need the push, it was always going to sell huge, so he should have just let it speak for itself. Some of the stories were stupid, but many I found interesting. It made me sympathise with him, and with William and Charles too, because they all grew up in such a weird bubble and none of them really know how to change any of it. I don’t think anyone could come out of that normal at all. I really do think a lot of it is caused by the press creating a narrative and pushing certain “storylines” for lack of a better word. (You can see them even now trying to put the Wales kids into boxes.) It was interesting to see which parts of the book the press chose to highlight, versus what they chose not to report on. I don’t think the doco needed to exist though? Or at least they needed to be released further apart? It was too much at once.

The Harry/Charles DNA thing is so old and so obviously untrue. Maybe they’re trying to distract from that other tabloid classic about the supposed Charles/Camilla love child who lives in Australia. He’s 50 or thereabouts and Aussie tabloids like New Idea pop up with stories about him every now and then 😂 It’s so weird!

(Side note: wrong thread, but your username cracks me up every time I see it!!)

Most people in the UK are indifferent to the Royals and couldn’t care either way.

Colloquially, I’m early 30’s and most of my friends think Harry and Meghan are dicks because they whine, witch and moan while being mega rich. Essentially most were sympathetic, but with every interview, documentary, book etc, the sympathy went.

I would be shocked if anyone I knew watched hate videos of them online (I didn’t know this was a thing?) because essentially although I’m pretty sure most would give them a downvote on a YouGov bonus poll, most don’t care that much.

——————

Edit to add: I’ve always understood, and always used the phrase “Highly-Educated” to mean anyone with a university degree.

That person spent 3 years learning about one specific subject and therefore should be highly educated in that field.

There is definitely a conversation to have somewhere about the fact society in the UK makes people feel they need degrees, but just because many people (according to Wiki 😂around 23% of people 22-65) have a undergraduate degree, doesn’t take away from the fact that, that makes people highly educated imo 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.