The Royal Family #38

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it’s largely age-based? Not entirely of course, but that’s how it seems to go here. I know people who don’t like her, but they’re all royalists aged 60+. No one my age wants to analyse or talk about the royals, which is why I pop up here sometimes. I can’t speak for England of course, where I’m sure it’s more controversial, but here in NZ Meghan wouldn’t come up as a topic of conversation at the hairdressers or the doctors, and people would be a bit weirded out by a random bringing her up to chat about. But we take the piss out of the royals generally so 🤷‍♀️

Anyway, it doesn’t fuss me if people like her or not, I’m just pointing out that people don’t need to pick a side, and people who critique Kate aren’t automatically huge Meghan fans. Sometimes people just think they’re all a pack of privileged dickheads 😂
As an over 60 year old nominal royalist, I’m really not that fussed about them at all. At the Coronation shindig, the people most supportive and sympathetic were the 90+ year olds (who all virtually spit at anything to do with Andrew).

I can honestly say I’ve never had a conversation about anything to do with the RF with a random Stranger. The weather is much more interesting and when that is exhausted then the growing length of waiting time in the chemist for a prescription covers the rest. The only time I’ve heard them discussed was an over heard conversation in the supermarket coffee shop with 2 20/30 year olds who were very agin. One was saying how they were convinced they would have released a photo of the children To ‘take the shine of the coronation’ and seemed quite personally aggrieved that they hadn’t, until she was reassured by her mate that they don’t want ‘us’ to see the children so deliberately withhold photos. The mental gymnastics of damned if you do, damned if you don’t make me and the woman sitting at the next table who caught my eye snort in an unseemly manner.

Reactions: 6
I would even go further. Her A Level results are good but not extraordinarily good. It’s still school level. In our equivalent test every pupil will take a math test- with some doing it on an extra advanced level. From what I gathered the UK curriculum is somewhere in the middle, leading towards advanced.
Being highly educated to me, would mean she is either a PhD in her field or extremely educated in several fields.
Not to talk her achievements down. But having an MA and playing the piano well is not crazy accomplished. I think over selling her accomplishments is hurting Kate more than anything else. Because it sets expectations she often doesn’t meet. Championing a topic for 5+ years, groundbreaking work yada yada yada and then all you get are flat quotes? That dissonances make her look bad.
In the end up to getting a BSC/BA is not exactly up to bring extra smart. With the right support and resources everyone within a normal intellect space can do it. That’s if the frustrating thing about inequality. Getting your MA goes deeper but is still quite far away from the research and years a PhD requires. I see no reason the Walses won’t go down the university degree route. They have the resources to get through. I think every degree is worth the time you put in it. You might not get to be an expert but some stuff sticks and education in never wrong.
Not saying you aren’t smart if you don’t go that route! And failing at uni also doesn’t necessarily say something about your intellectual capacities.
My boyfriend is getting his PhD so I'm around PhD students and post-doc researchers quite a bit (and in Maths of all things so they should be the best of the best right?)
You'd be surprised at how dull and average many of them are, with some straight up veering towards dumb, when you talk to them about anything that isn't strictly related to their field

• Haha
Reactions: 15
To be honest if you are part of the royal family, aristocracy etc and have the best of tuition then not achieving a high grade in education is a bit of a failure. Unless one or more of them have a learning difficulty which you would have thought they would have discovered at some point.

This is what i mean when i point to their privilege. They have the best of everything but can half arse their studies because they know they'll always have a massive safety net.

There are many normal people with learning difficulties, but they have no option than to try get on and not let it deter them because they don't have that luxury of privileges unlike the royals and upper classes.

Reactions: 9
To be honest if you are part of the royal family, aristocracy etc and have the best of tuition then not achieving a high grade in education is a bit of a failure. Unless one or more of them have a learning difficulty which you would have thought they would have discovered at some point.

This is what i mean when i point to their privilege. They have the best of everything but can half arse their studies because they know they'll always have a massive safety net.

There are many normal people with learning difficulties, but they have no option than to try get on and not let it deter them because they don't have that luxury of privileges unlike the royals and upper classes.
That’s the thing, though isn’t it, really. It doesn’t matter how aristocratic you are, if you are not academic and don’t have the mindset for book learning then it doesn’t matter how good the tutoring is you are still never going to do more than bump along … especially if the subject isn’t one that interests you in the first place.

Which seems to be the issue with the closest to the throne. The route is public school/Uni or equivalent/forces. The person is made to fit the route not vice versa. The expectation is they will get the more academic exams, be an officer when probably all they want to do is go to agricultural college or be a squaddie. The lower down the pecking order you are, the more likely you are to be allowed to do something that really is your thing and if anything changes for George/Charlotte/Louis then I would hope they are genuinely given the freedom to go their own route, even if it’s not the traditionally aristocratic or royal one.

Reactions: 12
That’s the thing, though isn’t it, really. It doesn’t matter how aristocratic you are, if you are not academic and don’t have the mindset for book learning then it doesn’t matter how good the tutoring is you are still never going to do more than bump along … especially if the subject isn’t one that interests you in the first place.
Yes Diana went to a good school but it didn't get her anywhere she just wasn't academic.

A friend of mine knows a married couple who are both psychotherapists and they paid a tutor to help their son along with his GCSE's . His next door neighbour is a builder and his daughter managed far better grades without a tutor so class doesn't matter I don't think that most of the Royals are academic they seem to veer more towards sport. Maybe Kate's kids will shine more in school as she did quite well.
---
What concerns me (well not seriously but a bit) is that its obvious that Charles and William got into prestigous Universities with lower grades than expected. Is it the case with the equine prowress of Princess Anne and her daughter Zara. Is it possible that their royal blood got them picked for the Olympic team and could it be that there were more able/worthy candidates that were overlooked because GB wanted the Royals to appear in the Olympic games. Don't get me wrong they both look pretty confident and capable but were they up to being with the supremos in the same way that Charles and William would probably would not have been admitted to Cambridge and St Andrews if they were not Royal..

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Yes Diana went to a good school but it didn't get her anywhere she just wasn't academic.

A friend of mine knows a married couple who are both psychotherapists and they paid a tutor to help their son along with his GCSE's . His next door neighbour is a builder and his daughter managed far better grades without a tutor so class doesn't matter I don't think that most of the Royals are academic they seem to veer more towards sport. Maybe Kate's kids will shine more in school as she did quite well.
---
What concerns me (well not seriously but a bit) is that its obvious that Charles and William got into prestigous Universities with lower grades than expected. Is it the case with the equine prowress of Princess Anne and her daughter Zara. Is it possible that their royal blood got them picked for the Olympic team and could it be that there were more able/worthy candidates that were overlooked because GB wanted the Royals to appear in the Olympic games. Don't get me wrong they both look pretty confident and capable but were they up to being with the supremos in the same way that Charles and William would probably would not have been admitted to Cambridge and St Andrews if they were not Royal..
No, I think Zara and Anne were there on merit. You have to qualify for the Olympic Team whoever you are and Team GB is ruthless in pursuit of medals. They wouldn’t put anyone on the team who was going to knock the medal chances, whoever they were. Zara has won all manner of international competitions and has been World and European Individual Champion and Anne was also European Champion - they have the credentials to be there completely on their own account.

Where they are helped in their sport is that it is not one easily available to people without the wherewithal. It’s very expensive and even at starter level. The sponsorship doesn’t usually kick in until you have proved yourself … but you need the money to prove yourself.

Reactions: 16
She has grade 3 piano (plus grade 5 theory) so she’s not exactly hugely musically accomplished - more she can play the basics to a reasonable standard rather than orchestra level of performance. The piece she played for Eurovision was pretty simplistic musically but let’s face it with the Norland nanny and the bare minimum of engagements undertaken she does have plenty of time to practice!
Imagine if she put her mind to something what she could do with all that free time on her hands - they're really is no denying how bone idle her and William are.

• Sad
No, I think Zara and Anne were there on merit. You have to qualify for the Olympic Team whoever you are and Team GB is ruthless in pursuit of medals. They wouldn’t put anyone on the team who was going to knock the medal chances, whoever they were. Zara has won all manner of international competitions and has been World and European Individual Champion and Anne was also European Champion - they have the credentials to be there completely on their own account.

Where they are helped in their sport is that it is not one easily available to people without the wherewithal. It’s very expensive and even at starter level. The sponsorship doesn’t usually kick in until you have proved yourself … but you need the money to prove yourself.
Agreed. To compete up to BE90, which is the top of the 'Introductory' levels, you need to join British Eventing - you can either pay as you go per event, which is £30 for you and £30 for each horse you ride at every event, or you can buy an annual membership starting at £80 and then get a season ticket for each horse, which varies from £74 for a horse with no points to £198 for a horse with more than 60 points. Then you have your entry fee, which is £80-£100 per horse, per event, overnight stabling if it's run over 2 days, usually about £25 a night, cost of fuel to get there in your horsebox or trailer. A horse capable of a double clear at BE90, but not of going to the next level, will currently cost low to mid five figures.

There's no doubt that Anne and Zara are extremely capable riders and earned their places on the team, but having the money behind you to buy good horses from day one gives you an enormous leg up.

Reactions: 11
Seemingly innocent filler piece in the Mail Online today about Rose Hanbury’s Father not being able to board a Ryanair flight which then goes on to casually drop in the time that he ‘stole’ a bus full of terrified Japanese Tourists outside of Annabelle’s Nightclub and drove it into several cars before abandoning said bus and it’s screaming passengers and returning to Annabelle’s where the barman kindly gave him an alibi when the police showed up!? 🤯

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
Imagine if she put her mind to something what she could do with all that free time on her hands - they're really is no denying how bone idle her and William are.
Grade 3 isn't a very high achievement I know eleven year olds who are 4 or 5 and one is on Grade 7 already but she is exceptional
---
Agreed. To compete up to BE90, which is the top of the 'Introductory' levels, you need to join British Eventing - you can either pay as you go per event, which is £30 for you and £30 for each horse you ride at every event, or you can buy an annual membership starting at £80 and then get a season ticket for each horse, which varies from £74 for a horse with no points to £198 for a horse with more than 60 points. Then you have your entry fee, which is £80-£100 per horse, per event, overnight stabling if it's run over 2 days, usually about £25 a night, cost of fuel to get there in your horsebox or trailer. A horse capable of a double clear at BE90, but not of going to the next level, will currently cost low to mid five figures.

There's no doubt that Anne and Zara are extremely capable riders and earned their places on the team, but having the money behind you to buy good horses from day one gives you an enormous leg up.
Yes indeed I agree they must be talented to be picked but having money to get the best of everything certainly helps.

Reactions: 2
I don’t mind that she only has an undergraduate degree and plays to a grade 3 standard in the piano. I think grading can highly over-inflate how intelligent someone else. I’ve known people who have phds but don’t know how to use a washing machine or cook their own foods.
I wouldn’t say Kate has been educated to a high level but I also wouldn’t say she’s not intelligent. I suppose we don’t really know what she’s like.

Slightly OT but some previously mentioned she took a STEM subject at A Levels which is guess was Mathematics- I’ve only heard it being described as STEM when it’s university level because otherwise you can say children in primary school take STEM lessons. Or is it just a general term?

Reactions: 5
I don’t mind that she only has an undergraduate degree and plays to a grade 3 standard in the piano. I think grading can highly over-inflate how intelligent someone else. I’ve known people who have phds but don’t know how to use a washing machine or cook their own foods.
I wouldn’t say Kate has been educated to a high level but I also wouldn’t say she’s not intelligent. I suppose we don’t really know what she’s like.

Slightly OT but some previously mentioned she took a STEM subject at A Levels which is guess was Mathematics- I’ve only heard it being described as STEM when it’s university level because otherwise you can say children in primary school take STEM lessons. Or is it just a general term?
STEM has definitely trickled down into secondary and primary schools. There's a STEM club that's local to me for children age 3-6!

Reactions: 1
I think that Kate has all the right "qualifications" to be our future Queen. Emotional intelligence is just as important as academic prowess..Probably more so in her circumstances?

Reactions: 19
I think that Kate has all the right "qualifications" to be our future Queen. Emotional intelligence is just as important as academic prowess..Probably more so in her circumstances?
In fairness to her she's had enough time to be....

Reactions: 4
Jesus Christ there’s some snidey comments on here about Kate, too skinny, too gold diggery, terrible taste in clothes, hair, make up, too lazy, not clever enough, didn’t try hard at uni, not good enough at the piano………i know this isn’t a rave thread but shes sn easy target. She’s so bland I struggle to see how she can give such offence……
I’m always amused that (still) people lay into Kate and it’s Ok, but heaven forbid anyone say anything about Megan and everyone’s racist or jealous.

I truly wonder what the Royal women have to do these days to be accepted.

Reactions: 14
They are criticised for being "bland" ie predictable and reliable and for being "loud"ie outspoken and outraged.

I'd rather have "bland" any day.What is Kate meant to do to please people who want more "umph" from her? Are the Royals meant to behave as celebrities in the future?

They are criticised for being "bland" ie predictable and reliable and for being "loud"ie outspoken and outraged.

I'd rather have "bland" any day.What is Kate meant to do to please people who want more "umph" from her? Are the Royals meant to behave as celebrities in the future?
I saw something yesterday that said Kate would be worth £1 billion if she gave up royal life and became an influencer. Maybe that’s the way forward for her 🤣
I really feel for her, she will never please everybody but will always be in the public eye. And yes she knew what she was getting into, but still it can’t be easy! I don’t know much about polls and rankings etc but I do know that pretty much everyone I know, in their early 40s or older, thinks she’s lovely and will be an amazing queen!

• Sad
  • Sick
Reactions: 15

To be fair, they are now … it’s a strange mix, but when you are doing behind the scenes video shoots with plinky plonk music of meaning and soft focus and staring in a European wide programme opening sequence then toes have been dipped in and lines if not been crossed have at least been blurred.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.