The Royal Family #31

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It’s a very strange concept, really … they stand or fall by their popularity ratings. As fast as you are the current top slot a fall down the rating makes up you vulnerable to the headlines and the press do seem to operate a very linear white hat/black hat policy

I bet as much as they say they appreciate the reprieve they are going out to shake a few hands to get the positive press back again Pronto.
I think they're a lost cause in the Uk and they know that. Everything is geared towards the U.S now

Reactions: 7
I bet as much as they say they appreciate the reprieve they are going out to shake a few hands to get the positive press back again Pronto.
Oh definitely the royal family needs to maintain its popularity to survive. But they have that constant stream of events to keep them relevant.

They don't need to worry about not making a guestlist in the same way as someone from love island does.

I don't think other members would be put out seeing the focus on Meghan for an event that they all attended. Megan was saying "oh no" over this, but the others might have seen it as expected because she's recently joined.

Reactions: 5
It's an interesting narrative that people were jealous of them getting more attention. But surely they'd all expect the new couple to get this?

Maybe they'd be happy that someone else was getting all the attention for a bit?

Royalty is celebrity in many ways, but also in many other ways it's notably different. Like they don't need to worry so much about fading away and becoming irrelevant like someone on towie would.

This is another one of Harry comparing Meghan to Diana. There was massive tension between Charles and Diana on the Australian tour because she was so much more popular than him. Caused issues throughout their marriage (along with everything else).

Reactions: 6
I hope they don’t get invited to the coronation. Purely because it will give them new material to monetise.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
My takes from the last three ep:

- The whole doc was sensationalised - it was all about making views. It was also very vague with not much receipts. There is the problem of a racist and misogynistic tabloid press but it is also about a family fallout and from my point of view responsibilities are shared.

- The online hatred campaign: that was an interesting segment (albeit already known). But that's a general problem. Internet has become a far west and many people are targeted by organised online harrassement. The death threats that Meghan have received? Unfortunately many regular citizens - often women - got the same treatment for ridiculous reasons. I find annoying they could only address the problem as a problem only targeting Meghan. That's something that is freqent with them - they have difficulties to get out of their self-centered narrative. It doesn't help them to be seen relatable - especially because people that are harrassed online can only dream to get their ressources to get security. Secondly when Meghan made comments about Kate during her interview with Oprah, Kate also went under a lot of online abuse. It just shows how the whole thing is crazy.

- The security question: as they stepped it was difficult for the British or the Canadian government to explain why Meghan and Harry are getting tax-funded security. It was then Charles' decision to open his purse or not. Should he haved forked for his son and family's security? Debatable. It looks like he took the words of his son about his will to become financially independent. It means also paying their security. It feels to me that Charles decided to let his 35-years-old to find by himself the costs of his luxurious lifestyle. Harry was supposed to have some inheritance and Meghan was said to have also some money. Were they in a situation they couldn't pay for it? Did Harry spend all of his money or didn't want to have to use it for his own security? Their lack of funds didn't prevent them to buy a multimillion-dollar mansion... I think Harry felt he was entitled to it. Again it's difficult to find them relatable in this situation. I understand they wanted security in their position but being independent means paying it yourself.

- The bullying allegations: they didn't deny it - they just used the same vague statement issued in 2021. That statement was crafted in a very specific way to not deny it legally while calling it a smear campaign. Why didn't they use the documentary to clean themselves if there were no wrongdoings from their part? That looks dodgy. The journalist that revealed it and wrote a book about it is working for the Times and didn't got sued. If they did bully their staff it might explain part of the problems inside the palace during Meghan's time in the RF. It could also explain the leaks. If the bullying happened it's then quite rich from Harry to accuse his family for their lack of self-accountability.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
It’s nothing to do with blocking A&E though as there isn’t one at the Portland.
If anything the Lindo Wing photos involving days of having union Jack cladded nutcases camping outside what is an NHS hospital with an A&E would cause more problems.

Reactions: 2
I wonder if the interest is starting to wain?

It's trending on Twitter but it's mid table with more important things taking priority and my Twitter feed is very quiet apart from Chris Ship who's job it is to watch it.

It's only the DM going all out.
I noticed the Wales Christmas card has nearly 2mill likes on insta, that’s the most I think any of their pictures have got. I wonder if it’s something for them to take as a sign of support. They’re filming Catherine’s Xmas carols this evening so it’s a stark PR contrast of a loving family together for Xmas cheer in memory of The Queen.

Reactions: 4
I don't think the pair should be stripped of any titles as it will just give them more ammo to play the victim. The RF should just greyrock them, invite them to all the big events but then ignore them completely the rest of the time

Reactions: 10
This whole doc has been crafted for US audiences. A lot of the headlines, especially the most salacious ones, are from US tabloids and magazines.

There is very little explanation about how the business side of the Royal Family works, how the history is woven into the culture of the UK (for better, or worse).

The taking of photos, screenshots and videos of moments when they were purportedly feeling hurt, or when they were leaving the uk, and of completely mudane everyday things that are just part of normal life, just makes me feel that the whole thing has been cynically planned.

I await the ‘special’ covering the jubilee and the death of the queen which is blatantly being planned.

• Sick
Reactions: 12
I wonder if the interest is starting to wain?

It's trending on Twitter but it's mid table with more important things taking priority and my Twitter feed is very quiet apart from Chris Ship who's job it is to watch it.

It's only the DM going all out.
It’s like We’ve said umpteen times … most people really aren’t that bothered. It’s the incessant reporting that drives up the interest. Last week BBC Breakfast were all over it with a countdown and three people simultaneously watching an episode each. Today, nothing, not even an acknowledgment it was happening at the time I was watching.

Reactions: 5
We're all entitled to be having a hard time no matter what our (to quote H&M) lived experience is. You can be the richest person on the planet and still be struggling.
If I'm honest I understand from Meghan's point of view, you come into a family and it's nothing like you imagined. The palaces are tit. The media is intrusive. The public basically feel like they own you and the family is uptight and weird.
But Harry... That is your lived experience! Just because you found someone who would marry you what exactly did you think would change.
The headlines that err on the side of racism were absolutely unacceptable. In the same way racism at football matches is. Most reasonable people do not agree with it and are disappointed and outraged. But I'm still struggling to understand what "their truth" is. I haven't watched the new episodes yet but it doesn't look like they are changing anyone's opinions. Those that don't like them continue to not like them.
In all honesty who cares if you fell out with your bro. Who hasn't fallen out with a sibling? Yeah your dad acted like a prick. Again, most of us have disagreed with our parents. This is all standard family tit that doesn't mean anything

• Heart
Reactions: 24
So why suddenly could they not do a photocall? The Portland is like a hotel for the Super rich with a birthing suite stuck on. Either they are lying or the Palace courtiers were deliberately making life difficult for Meghan. Who knows what is correct? Again, those photocells are not ' traditional'. They started with Peter Philips, and are really unpleasant and intrusive imo. I thought she was right to refuse to do it but it turns out she didn't.
Like the title. First it was reported they refused, but afterwards told they wanted it. Quite desperately actually.

Reactions: 2
It’s like We’ve said umpteen times … most people really aren’t that bothered. It’s the incessant reporting that drives up the interest. Last week BBC Breakfast were all over it with a countdown and three people simultaneously watching an episode each. Today, nothing, not even an acknowledgment it was happening at the time I was watching.
It barely got a few minutes on Sky Breakfast News. Best way to cover it.

Reactions: 1
We're all entitled to be having a hard time no matter what our (to quote H&M) lived experience is. You can be the richest person on the planet and still be struggling.
If I'm honest I understand from Meghan's point of view, you come into a family and it's nothing like you imagined. The palaces are tit. The media is intrusive. The public basically feel like they own you and the family is uptight and weird.
But Harry... That is your lived experience! Just because you found someone who would marry you what exactly did you think would change.
The headlines that err on the side of racism were absolutely unacceptable. In the same way racism at football matches is. Most reasonable people do not agree with it and are disappointed and outraged. But I'm still struggling to understand what "their truth" is. I haven't watched the new episodes yet but it doesn't look like they are changing anyone's opinions. Those that don't like them continue to not like them.
In all honesty who cares if you fell out with your bro. Who hasn't fallen out with a sibling? Yeah your dad acted like a prick. Again, most of us have disagreed with our parents. This is all standard family tit that doesn't mean anything
It's a load of nothing. 6 episodes of hot air. As suspected just two people whining about the same old stuff with no massive revelations.

Harry had a row with his brother and Daddy wont give him money. Big deal.

Best thing TRF family can do is just ignore this totally.

Reactions: 8
I think much of it comes down to not having anyone in charge of the palace for the last few years of the queen's life. Private eye were writing about it for years.

So Harry and Meghan were left to get on with it rather than someone raise the difficulties of the arrangement they wanted, so it eventually erupted.

It's pretty understandable the situation of noone at the helm with such a ridiculous system where one remains in power until they die.

Reactions: 10
Honestly, I think both Harry and William are at fault for this whole saga.
I think they’re too invested in the idea of Diana symbolising goodness and virtue/ innocence vs the RF symbolising cynicism and power. Even before she died that’s the vibes she gave out. Her behaviour at the airport with the tennis racquet was pretty silly IMO. Attention seeking.

• Heart
William is no saint and has his flaws but Harry does seem to be a petty person as well.

The thing with the Queen only taking advice from other people, if she was truly invested wouldn’t she have been trying to make her own decisions based on what H&M were telling her? Especially if Harry had such a close bond with her. Why wasn’t she believing what they were saying and happy to just let Charles and William side line him?

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.