The Royal Family #31

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
HMTQ left a huge mess behind in failing to address both these issues. She wasn’t a ‘normal’ mother/grandmother (and striving to be a good one never seemed to bother her in previous times anyway). Her one and only job in her later years was to pass as stable a crown as possible on to her heir – everyone and everything else should have come beneath that one goal. Ultimately, her failure to resolve these two issues reflect badly on her reign. She was a let-down in the final act, arguably the most important one for any monarch. She can now be seen, in hindsight, as a very weak monarch who left the crown in a worse state than she received it. The antithesis of her father.
I don't think anyone will see her as a weak monarch. In her final years she effectively handed reins to Charles. I also don't think the crown is in a terrible state. H&M are annoying but largely irrelevant now. It will blow over as these things always do.

Reactions: 11
Andrew is a piece of shi*t and we all know it. He should be sent to the highlands to live out his days in the remote wilderness.
The highlands are beautiful and have done nothing to warrant being used as an exile location for royal sex offenders.

• Haha
Reactions: 25
I think the Andrew problem is harder to deal with than the Harry and Meghan issue.

Andrew obviously doesn't have large amounts of cash or assets. He seems to live courtesy of his mother and brothers coat tails and has done for years.

If Charles cut Andrew off completely he would have to go and find some work which would inevitably put him back to to the forefront and a public presence. In order to keep Andrew away from all things public and Royal they have to pay for it. He's essentially on house arrest on the Windsor estate and that's the way Charles and William want it.

Harry and Meghan, whilst problematic from a publicity point of view aren't in the same league and once they've told their story a hundred times the public will eventually tire and move on.

Reactions: 19
The optics of this are bad. Do the taxpayers even have money for this?! Full article as it’s from behind a paywall:
C4C7E9AF-1C4C-47AC-A9BA-5CBEAB0AF6EE.jpeg
A4957D9B-A2AD-41DA-A319-65A32CBCA611.jpeg
C79F2D6E-1C37-4FD2-8B1C-E63F7EEC69C7.jpeg
687828E9-0508-4BCC-B743-6ECE1D0FBC93.jpeg

• Angry
  • Sick
Reactions: 6
Reactions: 11
I’d say go for a big coronation if his health is looking good, no point spending all that money if we’re gonna need another in 5 years, and it’d make sense to have a bigger one for William who’ll likely have a 40/50 year reign.

Reactions: 9
Charles cut Andrew off completely he would have to go and find some work which would inevitably put him back to to the forefront and a public presence. In order to keep Andrew away from all things public and Royal they have to pay for it. He's essentially on house arrest on the Windsor estate and that's the way Charles and William want it.
I agree with ths. They are keeping him ( and Fergie) onside. They have extremely expensive tastes for two such talentless people. I suspect the things they would do to sell out the family would make Meghan and Harry think they'd gone too far!

Reactions: 6
Do we think Eugenie is pregnant? My guess is she is.

‘Showing off her sartorial prowess, the mother-of-one wrapped up in a trendy coat…’ eh?

Whatever it takes to print a photo of her with imminent bump…& pressure to make a public announcement.
If Euge is expecting, she’ll mention the matter when she is ready.

Reactions: 4
‘Showing off her sartorial prowess, the mother-of-one wrapped up in a trendy coat…’ eh?

Whatever it takes to print a photo of her with imminent bump…& pressure to make a public announcement.
If Euge is expecting, she’ll mention the matter when she is ready.
I agree. Surprisingly, I’m not a royalist, but I think this kind of snidey story is awful. I realise she is in some sense a public person, but she still has the right to a level of privacy about her own body. It’s absolutely none of my business.

Reactions: 12
'The government has taken this opportunity to cover up their shocking mismanagement of the country and for spending half of 2022 making us into a global laughing stock by saying "Look over there at that big shiny carriage and jewels!" for 2 days'
As someone living outside the UK, it has gotten a lot of bad press over the past few years. I know not everyone in the UK will agree with my perspective but I think a lot of Europeans would look at the last few years and think Brexit was a disaster, your economy is not going well to put it mildly, Johnson and Truss were embarrassingly bad - Johnson was almost on a par with Trump towards the end and there has been a lot of upheaval and instability in government. The queen's funeral did show the UK in a very favourable light. Driving her around Scotland showed how beautiful it was and the funeral with leaders from all over the world were a reminder of the UK's standing in the world. I don't think they should go crazy with the coronation but I don't think they should cut it back to bare bones either.
I hope I'm not offending anyone with my views and I don't want to turn this thread into a Brexit or political debate but even if you don't agree with what I've said, that's how a lot of the world have seen the UK in recent years.

Reactions: 24
I’d say go for a big coronation if his health is looking good, no point spending all that money if we’re gonna need another in 5 years, and it’d make sense to have a bigger one for William who’ll likely have a 40/50 year reign.
So he’ll need a ‘fit note’ from his GP?
Maybe an MOT from BUPA?
😉

• Haha
'The government has taken this opportunity to cover up their shocking mismanagement of the country and for spending half of 2022 making us into a global laughing stock by saying "Look over there at that big shiny carriage and jewels!" for 2 days'
Bread and circuses

As someone living outside the UK, it has gotten a lot of bad press over the past few years. I know not everyone in the UK will agree with my perspective but I think a lot of Europeans would look at the last few years and think Brexit was a disaster, your economy is not going well to put it mildly, Johnson and Truss were embarrassingly bad - Johnson was almost on a par with Trump towards the end and there has been a lot of upheaval and instability in government. The queen's funeral did show the UK in a very favourable light. Driving her around Scotland showed how beautiful it was and the funeral with leaders from all over the world were a reminder of the UK's standing in the world. I don't think they should go crazy with the coronation but I don't think they should cut it back to bare bones either.
I hope I'm not offending anyone with my views and I don't want to turn this thread into a Brexit or political debate but even if you don't agree with what I've said, that's how a lot of the world have seen the UK in recent years.
You’ve summed up how I feel and I live in England!

I’m torn about the coronation. I love a big royal spectacle so I hope they go for it in that sense, but with people struggling to eat and heat their homes it does seem off to use public money to fund it. Having said that, it’s not like there’s a pot of money for this event and Charles can say “slim down the coronation and give that money straight to these 1000 families who can’t afford heating” is it? The money will get swallowed up in some other useless and embarrassing thing the country pays for (like decorating MPs’ second homes 🙄🤣) so it might as well go on a useless but at least makes us look good for a couple of days thing!

Last edited:
Reactions: 10
I think that is a genuine reaction. I grew up in a home full of domestic violence but what scared me the most was the shouting, screaming & yelling. Honestly, I’d rather someone laid in to me than yelled at me. It intimidates me and I’ve been known to cry. I’m quite a strong minded and strong willed person to. Weird, I know. I just can’t hack it!
I'm the same. I've been known to say that I'd rather be hit than have all the verbal and emotional abuse which lasts longer and causes years of damage. A lot of damaged people seek out a home in the military, myself included.

On another note, the Duke of Gloucester will be remembering his brother this week.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I'm the same. I've been known to say that I'd rather be hit than have all the verbal and emotional abuse which lasts longer and causes years of damage. A lot of damaged people seek out a home in the military, myself included.

On another note, the Duke of Gloucester will be remembering his brother this week.

I completely understand. ❤
Don’t get me wrong. If my kids are being shits I’ll yell, but it’s just typical mom stuff! But there’s a very different kind of yelling. So I can resonate with Harry, as you can to. He was in the middle of a very, very strained marriage as a young boy. I think Diana was a very needy woman and lent on her children to, which isn’t right at all. She should’ve been their strength, not them hers. I remember a teacher correcting me at school and raising her voice at me, after a particularly bad few days at home. I was 9 and I actually wet myself. That’s how distraught I was & it’s never left me. I think, even people who may be aren’t massive fans of Harry, need to take a step back and see he’s obviously been very affected by his parents marriage & divorce! All the titles & money in the world can’t repair the damage done by some parents!

• Heart
Reactions: 17
As someone not from the UK, I think the royal family is one of the unique things and while it's an oddity they might as well make the most of it and put on a show for the coronation.

It's a good advert for UK PLC and the streets all hosed down looking nice broadcast worldwide is cheaper compared to running a big ad campaign for the country. The money per head wouldn't stretch to more than a pot noodle.

Charles has said he want's a coronation that's value for money, which seems like the right choice to benefit everyone.

But in these tough times they could announce a plan for the crown estate to boost revenue and how much they pay into the coffers. Maybe open up Buckingham palace way more?

Australia no doubt spent millions on this to promote their country.

I think the Andrew problem is harder to deal with than the Harry and Meghan issue.

Andrew obviously doesn't have large amounts of cash or assets. He seems to live courtesy of his mother and brothers coat tails and has done for years.

If Charles cut Andrew off completely he would have to go and find some work which would inevitably put him back to to the forefront and a public presence. In order to keep Andrew away from all things public and Royal they have to pay for it. He's essentially on house arrest on the Windsor estate and that's the way Charles and William want it.

Harry and Meghan, whilst problematic from a publicity point of view aren't in the same league and once they've told their story a hundred times the public will eventually tire and move on.
And they obviously don't want him to write his book about being badly treated by the Royals from what I hear of his petulance. 😆

Last edited:
I agree. The Royals are there, we may as well show off the Crown Jewels for the purpose they are for ( apart from the Koh I noor there's no point starting an argument about that) and The Queens funeral and the accession stuff was interesting I thought, but didn't last long. So even if the government are using the Royals as a smokescreen for their failures, it won't last long. It will probably be worse in the long term as extra Bank holidays always hit gdp

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.