The Royal Family #30

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Administrators and civil servants did not give orders to shoot people going to pray when they tried to escape by climbing trees or stood by leaving people to starve to death while they took resources out of the Colonies, nor did they benefit hugely from wealth taken out of India, Africa and the Caribbean in one way trade. That was the ruling classes, many of who's families still benefit from that wealth today.
They did actually, the East India Company was primarily made up of merchant traders and administrators not the aristocracy. I don't know where you got your shoot people going to pray story from but again that would have been the military not entirely aristocracy either

Reactions: 2
I remember discussing the preacher at work. 3 brits, 1 American. All white. The only one who didn’t find him cringey was the American (and she was not a religious person, but she definitely perceived him differently to the rest of us (all of whom had tuned out when he was talking) He went on for too long (and IIRC that was acknowledged as fact - that he had over-run his slot) . Much of what Meghan faced was more to do with being American, rather than not being white. A variation on racism I suppose and maybe one she wasn’t expecting
Why would the British RF be against Americans? Surely they are not still seething about Wallis Simpson who's affair with Edward Viii led to the abdication nearly a hundred years ago? Can you explain please?

Agree with the skirt and get rid of the weird collar or should've went with shorter sleeves.

Another fail at the award ceremony - the necklace doesn't match the dress AT ALL! I really love the dress and it just ruins it for me

She also needs to relax the botox...
Is that from today?! What has she done to her face?!
The dress is horrendous, she needs to fire Natasha Archer.
Like how the DM has managed to compare her to Diana, again.

Reactions: 7
Agree with the skirt and get rid of the weird collar or should've went with shorter sleeves.

Another fail at the award ceremony - the necklace doesn't match the dress AT ALL! I really love the dress and it just ruins it for me

Ahh Kate...a fellow sufferer of RMES - "Roger Moore Eyebrow Syndrome".

This isn’t the Ngozi thread, it’s the RF thread. Leave her alone. She’s not a public figure and her name choices are her own.
She has made herself a public figure now, hasn't she?

I have no problem with people calling themselves whatever they want, as we are legally entitled to do in the UK. I don't use my own birth surname because it's hard to spell, hard to say and too easy to ridicule (looks a bit like a rude word written down). It does have a very specific, European ethnic origin, but as it goes back about five generations, there is really little connection between it and me and I'd look mighty silly if I went round using a French or German version of my forename and making coy allusions to not being English, then getting offended when people ask about it.

She's starting to look like CP Mary of Denmark. Not that there's anything wrong with CP Mary, they're just two different women who never used to look much like one another.

The Klingon forehead lines are getting a bit obvious.

Reactions: 3
And it lends itself to abuse from green screen whizz kids ...

Not my favourite look.
Buuuut I will say kudos that she’s rented it from a UK site, never heard of this before and it’ll drive traffic to them. So I can’t fault her on that!
(They’ve got some lovely pieces to rent as well)

Reactions: 5
No, according to Fulani herself, what was said was:

Lady SH: “Where are you from?”
Ms Fulani: “Sistah Space.”
SH: “No where do you come from?
Ms Fulani: “We’re based in Hackney.”

Neither of those were an answer to what the question obviously was. That's like someone asking you where you're from, and you replying with your employer and their location.
If I was at a formal event and someone asked where I was from, I would reply with the name of the organisation I worked for, not the place I live in.

Reactions: 14
I actually liked the colour of the dress on her. I think it’s nice to see her in something different.

Reactions: 6
Buuuut I will say kudos that she’s rented it from a UK site, never heard of this before and it’ll drive traffic to them. So I can’t fault her on that!
I think they’re the ones Carrie Johnson always uses?

Reactions: 3
Oh yeah ... The site will crash with the traffic it will generate.

I liked the fact she was trying a new colour but the sleeves and neckline were all wrong.
I like the colour but not the shape. The top of the dress isn't very flattering on Kate. Don't think it would be flattering on anyone to be fair. I'd love to see her with shoulder length hair.

I thought Kate looked stunning in that green dress. Just shows that there's no pleasing everyone 👍👍👍

Reactions: 15
This whole issue raises a lot of predicaments. I speak 4 languages, I have a keen interest in linguistics and the origin of names, and I've lived in 4 countries on 3 different continents. When I come across someone with a non-English name, if the circumstances are appropriate, I will ask them about it. It's because I am genuinely interested. I'm not trying to get them on the next deportation flight. I have always enjoyed learning from them, as I can now more easily recognise and pronounce names from certain countries, and they have always seemed to welcome my interest.

I'm probably quite tactful in my approach to it, as opposed to Lady Hussey, but where does this end? With nobody being able to ask anyone about their heritage, unless you've asked them in the universally approved manner and registered yourself as a definite non-racist with the government database?
My mum is very interested in accents, and used to work for an estate agents. She got told off for saying "where are you from?" when she heard an accent she didn't recognise. She wasn't being rude, she was really interested and wanted to be able to recognise lots of different accents.
There's a difference between being curious and being offensive.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.