The Royal Family #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
But I suppose I wonder what's the alternative? Is it any better? If it was a republic with a ceremonial elected Head of State like Ireland the tax payer would fund them. If it was a republic with an elected political head of state like the USA the tax payer would fund them.

Edited to add: I think about this as an Australian given it's likely we'll have another referendum eventually to decide whether to become a Republic. I think I'd prefer the Irish?
There is a sort of joke that America has a coronation every 4 years, because of the cost, pomp and ceremony of having a new president.

I’ve yet to see an alternative that I personally agree would be better value for the country. We would have to pay for something else. As long as they continue charity work (UK Royals do a lot more than the other Royal Families), as long as they carry on recognising members of society through the Garden Parties and OBE’s etc (again something they do a lot more than any other royal family) and as long as Charles opens up the monarchy I don’t think they’re a massive harm.

The fact is that in a society like ours there are hierarchies , and getting rid of the Windsors would just mean replacing them with another that has far less interest for international politics and travel.

My Aged Relatives are convinced she had bowel cancer … chemo for that doesn’t mean hair loss and it would fit with the going in for tests in October.
I think either The Queen or Price Phillip had Bowel cancer because Deborah James (Bowel Babe) got a huge offline donation the day she met Prince William and received her OBE and I personally believe it was a donation from the whole Royal Family as a mark of respect for whichever of them had it.

I base this on absolutely nothing other than the fact the donation was anonymous and he went out of his way to give it to her in person and the donation was the same day.

• Heart
Reactions: 23
I think with Harry and Meghan, they need to do what suits them as a family and stuff the Daily Mail everyone else.
Thing is the RF will only exist as an institution while they have the support of the majority of the population. So the reality is they do need to factor opinion formers like traditonal and social media into their decision making. Everyone says they hate the DM yet it remains one of the most visited media websites in the world. So like it or loathe it, it is influential.

Reactions: 4
I'd bet money on prince William becoming the king in his 40s. That is assuming the monarchy continues, which isn't a given.
I said to my husband yesterday I thought that by the time the Coronation comes round, Charles will pass the baton to Wills. I think this is definitely the honeymoon period and he seems quite sensitive - will he be able to deal with being less popular than his mum?

I know there’s obviously strong feelings of abdication and if you say you’re doing something to the end then that’s what you do…but I just have a gut feeling he’ll think it’s a young man’s game, the world is very different now and Wills is the man for the job.

Reactions: 2
I’m a a real saddo that I read how many engagements each RF member does a year. KC has always been hard working and the different interviews and stories that were heartening last week. I enjoyed hearing about the different individuals saying how they were able to advance in life through the Prince’s Trust, loads of stories about personal donations, checking up on people he’d met that he felt needed extra assistance in getting something done. So many stories I’d never heard before. I was a huge Diana fan back in the day. She appeared glamorous and so approachable, different to the rest of the RF. But it’s interesting to hear how much KC has done behind the scenes which gives me heart that he’ll be a different Monarch but a good one.

Reactions: 27
I said to my husband yesterday I thought that by the time the Coronation comes round, Charles will pass the baton to Wills. I think this is definitely the honeymoon period and he seems quite sensitive - will he be able to deal with being less popular than his mum?

I know there’s obviously strong feelings of abdication and if you say you’re doing something to the end then that’s what you do…but I just have a gut feeling he’ll think it’s a young man’s game, the world is very different now and Wills is the man for the job.
He's waited all these years to be King, so I doubt he's going to abdicate at the last hurdle!

Reactions: 18
He's waited all these years to be King, so I doubt he's going to abdicate at the last hurdle!
No way will he abdicate! Nor should he. I think the talk of him passing it to william years ago was from the press who hated him after Diana died.

Reactions: 28
I saw this too, having seen it in my grandma and mum with dementia. Less guarded, slightly more inhibited. Her smile, which was usually subtle, became beaming and much more expressive (as in the final portrait).
Yes, exactly that. I think there was a personality change and loss of inhibitions, the big beaming smile being one example. It just wasn’t like her. I think she would have been fading mentally for some time but in the end her body gave up first.

Reactions: 8
No I don't think so either. He will be there until the end. I don't think he'll live as long as his parents but he could do a good 10 years. If you want a monarchy you can't pck and choose. You get what you get until they die, then get the next one.

So we need to lose Harry and Andrew, can it be Anne and Kate? Eugenie?
Kates not next in line. She's wife of the next in line. She can't do it. Agree with Bea, Eug, Anne.

Yes, exactly that. I think there was a personality change and loss of inhibitions, the big beaming smile being one example. It just wasn’t like her. I think she would have been fading mentally for some time but in the end her body gave up first.
I agree and I know everyone loved the Paddington sketch but it was so unlike her how she acted and behaved (almost child like) previously that I thought then something wasn't quite right.

I know Camilla talked of her lovely smile but to be honest I used to think she rarely smiled that much and the only time I saw her smile properly or look really happy is when she was around horses!

Reactions: 18
Thing is the RF will only exist as an institution while they have the support of the majority of the population. So the reality is they do need to factor opinion formers like traditonal and social media into their decision making. Everyone says they hate the DM yet it remains one of the most visited media websites in the world. So like it or loathe it, it is influential.
In that case then, it is wrong to give it so much power … and begs the question who is behind the manipulation and why.

Reactions: 3
No I don't think so either. He will be there until the end. I don't think he'll live as long as his parents but he could do a good 10 years. If you want a monarchy you can't pck and choose. You get what you get until they die, then get the next one.

Kates not next in line. She's wife of the next in line. She can't do it. Agree with Bea, Eug, Anne.
Anne is quite far down the line of succession sadly! Eugenie and Edward I think would be the next two

Reactions: 7
If the Queen did have dementia which is suggested, she met with loads of people during her last few weeks in Balmoral. Someone interviewed yesterday said they were due to meet with her this week. Each person said how on great form she was.
I still think she had bone cancer. Total whitchelling from me but here. She became so frail and small, her back was bent over. Such a difference since the jubilee and I thought she looked frail then.

Reactions: 19
There’s no way they would have rolled her out if she had diminished capacity. That would have stripped her of dignity. No way she would have met Truss either.

• Heart
Reactions: 42
I really don’t think they would make someone with advanced dementia conduct meetings with prime ministers etc.

Reactions: 40
I don’t think she had advanced dementia but I also don’t think she was 100% all there, could be medication though

Reactions: 9
No way will he abdicate! Nor should he. I think the talk of him passing it to william years ago was from the press who hated him after Diana died.
I agree, I think he would see it as letting the Queen, his mother, down if he did abdicate and I am sure he stated he will serve for however long is meant to be like his mother in one of his speeches unless I misheard.

Reactions: 10
I think the Castle of Mey model would be a good fit for Balmoral. It belongs to a trust now, the castle and gardens are open to the public throughout the tourist season (I don't think it's cost effective to open it over winter or they probably would - you can get married there in the visitor centre when it's not open!) apart from a few weeks in the summer when Charles comes up on holiday, one of the outbuildings there has been turned into a B&B, there's a self-catering cottage and they have a tea room and an animal centre.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.