The Royal Family #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh there's that word tragedy again!

And maybe Beatrice is pregnant after all. With a genius!

Also I was so invested in the electrics story. Did you get it sorted?.
I'm still a bit scared of electricals 😁. Put it this way quite a few appliances are going to be scrapped.
Now I come to think of it I'm almost sure the video was from last year so would the tragedy be the death of the Queen or is Andrew going to die as I'm sure they mentioned the tragedy after talking about Andrew. Who knows?! I was in shock.
Would be nice to see Louise in the Olympics though....

Reactions: 2
My tuppence worth.

I think Charles is spending this week of private mourning getting his ducks in a row and enacting on plans he will have been making for years.

He'll be trying to persuade H&M to return to the fold, offering them Duke & Duchess of Edinburgh and DOE award scheme to run. Which is why it's not gone to Edward & Sophie as yet.

H&M will decline, Edward & Sophie will become D&D of Edinburgh and continue as higher profile working royals.

He'll sort out the Councillors of State issue pronto. Out with Harry and Andy, in with Anne, William, Edward and ?Camilla.

W&C will be told to step up big style, much more visible, taking on more tangible things like Princes Trust.

The Kents will all be quietly retired, much thanks and recognition for their work.

Andy will have Royal Lodge taken off him and banished forever more.

There will be very clear definition of who are working royals, what they do and what is expected of them. With big PR offensive, as we saw last week. Lots of getting out there to meet the public.

One last hope is Charles will offer to personally contribute to the cost of the funeral and recognise how difficult this winter will be for his subjects. But unlikely!

Reactions: 15
My tuppence worth.

I think Charles is spending this week of private mourning getting his ducks in a row and enacting on plans he will have been making for years.

He'll be trying to persuade H&M to return to the fold, offering them Duke & Duchess of Edinburgh and DOE award scheme to run. Which is why it's not gone to Edward & Sophie as yet.

H&M will decline, Edward & Sophie will become D&D of Edinburgh and continue as higher profile working royals.

He'll sort out the Councillors of State issue pronto. Out with Harry and Andy, in with Anne, William, Edward and ?Camilla.

W&C will be told to step up big style, much more visible, taking on more tangible things like Princes Trust.

The Kents will all be quietly retired, much thanks and recognition for their work.

There will be very clear definition of who are working royals, what they do and what is expected of them. With big PR offensive, as we saw last week. Lots of getting out there to meet the public.

One last hope is Charles will offer to personally contribute to the cost of the funeral and recognise how difficult this winter will be for his subjects. But unlikely!
Apparently Beatrice is going to be a council of state, replacing her dad.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I'm not anti monarchy, I'm asking for accountability for a family that I contribute financially towards, that my family contributed to, that my children will contribute to. I'm entitled to do so.
Your going on like your funding their lifestyle single handedly 🤣

As of 16th July 2022, the cost per family in the UK was £1.24 per year.

And if you want accountability, it's all there for you to see what it has been spend on the Gov pages and with links on the Buckingham Palace pages

Does anyone know of Harry’s book will go ahead, cancelled or postponed until later? I’m hearing so many different stories on this.
I've only seen that it's due for release November, he's been asked to push it back and has said no 🤷‍♀️ don't know how reliable that is though

My tuppence worth.

According to the Mail, Meghan now feels more confident returning to the UK after the warm welcome she received last week....

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I don't have a massive soft spot for King Charles but I'm looking forward to seeing him add his ideas into the mix and I think he deserves a chance because he does seem to have a good work ethic like Anne.

Reactions: 14
I don’t believe the Queen was mentally sharp in her final months. I was struck by how she looked during the platinum jubilee and the Paddington sketch. Just something about her eyes and facial expressions felt off to me. Not away with the fairies per se, but not quite right. If you’ve ever known a very elderly person with declining health/dementia you’ll know what I mean.
I saw this too, having seen it in my grandma and mum with dementia. Less guarded, slightly more inhibited. Her smile, which was usually subtle, became beaming and much more expressive (as in the final portrait).

Something catastrophic obviously happened though, perhaps a stroke/fall. This morning, I read a lovely interview with her racing manager, John Warren. The Queen had her final winner on the day of the Truss visit. As per usual, John Warren spoke to her afterwards on the Tuesday evening, to discuss future plans for the horse, and he says he was completely shocked that she was dead less than 48 hours later.

• Sad
Reactions: 23
Just because it doesn’t cost much to each individual person doesn’t mean it’s right or worth it

Reactions: 5
I think he has a tough job ahead of him shaping the RF into something suited for future longevity.

He’s in a particularly tricky position with Harry and Meghan. Lots of people hate them and lots like them so whatever he does he’s going to get blasted. Unless he finds the perfect middle ground and I’m not sure it even exists so that route risks him being lambasted from both sides.

Anne and the Wessexes just get on with the job without attracting controversy so I imagine he’ll keep them as working Royals. Andrew will have to be banished.

Reactions: 8
Just because it doesn’t cost much to each individual person doesn’t mean it’s right or worth it
But I suppose I wonder what's the alternative? Is it any better? If it was a republic with a ceremonial elected Head of State like Ireland the tax payer would fund them. If it was a republic with an elected political head of state like the USA the tax payer would fund them.

Edited to add: I think about this as an Australian given it's likely we'll have another referendum eventually to decide whether to become a Republic. I think I'd prefer the Irish?

Reactions: 4
I am not a rabid royalist but I am interested in old buildings so have visited a few palaces.

Balmoral - unless it closed to the public a while ago, it was open when I went for a visit. Albeit it was about 30 years ago. I went on a family trip - we were in Scotland on a holiday. It was very busy, lots of Americans. Not much of it was open to the public but the ballroom was, the one where the Queen was lying before she went to Edinburgh. It felt very much like a family home, hence the limited access, and wasn’t that big. I think Charles will keep it. He loves the nearby countryside, a lot of his paintings are of the environs. I think he also has access to Dumfries House - he campaigned to have that restored. Not sure of its status, it seems to be owned by a trust but don’t know much about it. He was staying there when he got the call about his mum. I think that if they keep Balmoral and it has been closed to the public, opening it up would be a wise move. International tourists love it - don’t underestimate the numbers of international visitors to the rural areas of Scotland - the Japanese, Americans, Germans. I go to Scotland regularly, the numbers of internationals always surprise me. Charles also has access to the Castle of Mey - the Queen Mothers home in Scotland. Charles and Camilla also stay there.

Buckingham Palace - it is huge and bloody grand. Sometimes you go to historic houses and there is a sort of faded grandeur. Not this pile - it is immaculate. I was fascinated by the wallpaper - you can’t see the join. I believe the garden is the biggest private garden in London, but as a visitor you could not access much. The palace is also very light in some parts due to skylights.

My opinion on Charles. He is spoilt and peevish. I give him a pass because he is grieving but I don’t see him as a man of strong character and there is a danger that he will undo all the good his mother did. We will see.
Dumfries House is part of the Princes Foundation, I think - and geared to be self supporting. There was a programme on Sky Arts this year (hosted by Vic Reeves) about heritage crafts and the people learning the crafts went to Dumfries House because that is part of the set up there. Charles was there And is obviously very involved and engaged. It was surprisingly interesting

Reactions: 9
Apparently Beatrice is going to be a council of state, replacing her dad.
Beatrice is actually replacing Charles - the Council of State is the monarch’s spouse plus the next 4 adults in line, so will now be Camilla, William, Harry, Andrew and Beatrice.

Reactions: 11
I think he has a tough job ahead of him shaping the RF into something suited for future longevity.

He’s in a particularly tricky position with Harry and Meghan. Lots of people hate them and lots like them so whatever he does he’s going to get blasted. Unless he finds the perfect middle ground and I’m not sure it even exists so that route risks him being lambasted from both sides.

Anne and the Wessexes just get on with the job without attracting controversy so I imagine he’ll keep them as working Royals. Andrew will have to be banished.
I think with Harry and Meghan, they need to do what suits them as a family and stuff the Daily Mail everyone else.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
But I suppose I wonder what's the alternative? Is it any better? If it was a republic with a ceremonial elected Head of State like Ireland the tax payer would fund them. If it was a republic with an elected political head of state like the USA the tax payer would fund them.
Being from Ireland and living in the UK I do think the ceremonial head of state is better, whether that is feasible is another thing I guess

Reactions: 6
Being from Ireland and living in the UK I do think the ceremonial head of state is better, whether that is feasible is another thing I guess
Yeah, I edited my post to add that as an Australian I'd prefer your set up in Ireland to the American one, if we went down the route to become a republic! But perhaps we wouldn't get a president with such adorable dogs, always the risk 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The weight loss the Queen showed just said cancer to me, because that's exactly what happened to my mum, weight just dropped off her. If it was cancer, she would have been in a lot of pain so holding herself carefully to avoid discomfort, and dosed up on morphine or other strong opioids so probably not entirely present. I just hope whatever it was she wasn't in too much pain and her passing was peaceful, that's as much as any of us can hope for.

I don't think scrapping the RF is the way forward. Pare it down, get rid of a LOT of the buildings, especially the grace and favour apartments lived in by 3rd cousins once removed and whatever. Or impose a cap on it all - ie the King gets X a year, to split between all of them, which also covers the cost of maintaining the homes etc (forgive me if that's how the Civil List already works - but if so, the starting figure needs to be a lot lower).
My Aged Relatives are convinced she had bowel cancer … chemo for that doesn’t mean hair loss and it would fit with the going in for tests in October.

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.