The Royal Family #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don’t believe the Queen was mentally sharp in her final months. I was struck by how she looked during the platinum jubilee and the Paddington sketch. Just something about her eyes and facial expressions felt off to me. Not away with the fairies per se, but not quite right. If you’ve ever known a very elderly person with declining health/dementia you’ll know what I mean.
Agree that something wasn't right especially at the jubilee I almost felt like she wasnt "present" in the moment, this might sound silly maybe she had breathing problems but the fact she had her mouth open alot just didn't look right. Hope that makes sense

Reactions: 13
Agree that something wasn't right especially at the jubilee I almost felt like she wasnt "present" in the moment, this might sound silly maybe she had breathing problems but the fact she had her mouth open alot just didn't look right. Hope that makes sense
Covid could have really affected her in that sense

• Sad
Reactions: 12
Andrew was funded completely by his mum according to this, after Epstein. He must be shitting a gold plated brick at what his future holds. Also mentions the cost of the extensive refurb of Buck Palace. It definitely should be all round access to recoup some of this money.

Reactions: 6
The monarchy is to some on the left what the EU was to some on the right - a mythical bad guy we're better without. And we can all see how well Brexit worked out for the latter :rolleyes:.
I saw a great thread before saying the problem with a republic is you could end up with David Attenborough or you could get Nigel Farage. And I think we all know which is most likely sadly.
Great comparison. I've yet to hear a good argument for abolishing the monarchy that will make things better. Different isn't better

A president is just another career politician who will mainly be out for himself and his party. The RF have a privileged life but the good ones put the country first. They need to be held accountable of course, but they can be a great representation for the country, especially at times we have an idiot in number 10.

Also people are deluded if they think a president wouldn't cost a load of money to run or want to live in the old palaces etc. Look at Blair and Johnson, they thought they were all but president.

My worry for the future is William has a lot of good, but possibly has a sense of granduer that his father has and that won't fly. Where as Harry has the negative overly emotional and paranoid sides of his mother.

Reactions: 18
The weight loss the Queen showed just said cancer to me, because that's exactly what happened to my mum, weight just dropped off her. If it was cancer, she would have been in a lot of pain so holding herself carefully to avoid discomfort, and dosed up on morphine or other strong opioids so probably not entirely present. I just hope whatever it was she wasn't in too much pain and her passing was peaceful, that's as much as any of us can hope for.

I don't think scrapping the RF is the way forward. Pare it down, get rid of a LOT of the buildings, especially the grace and favour apartments lived in by 3rd cousins once removed and whatever. Or impose a cap on it all - ie the King gets X a year, to split between all of them, which also covers the cost of maintaining the homes etc (forgive me if that's how the Civil List already works - but if so, the starting figure needs to be a lot lower).

Reactions: 19
For me it is accountability that is key. They are funded by the public yet not subject to FOI. Their wills are never published - everybody else’s are. They get tax breaks on the Duchy and other things, sometimes because of the lobbying they have done to influence things to their advantage. No inheritance tax for Charles. They are already as rich as Croesus, they don’t need all the little tweaks and advantages that everyone else can’t access.

Reactions: 15
I don’t think anyone should pay inheritance tax whether you are Joe Bloggs or Lord Farquhar. I’d vote for anyone that scraped this. We are taxed in life then in death. It’s nothing more than grave robbing.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
The princes Trust and the Duke of Edinburgh awards are fantastic, long may they continue but neither were philanthropy, there was a much more cynical reason for their creation.
Climate change was the hot topic but a few months ago but there was a flight this morning and with Lord Knows how many vehicles.
Sorry if it offends but I'll call out hypocrisy.
They are both incredible legacies and really do a lot of good for ordinary young people Phil and Charles established both in their 30's. William will really need to step up to do something half as effective. Earthshot is fine but it gives out prizes to very few, and at the moment has spent far more on PR than prizes. Also Wills loves a helicopter so it's a bit ' save the planet so that I can do what I like for longer'.

Reactions: 14
What are peoples *gut feelings* about Charles as King?
As in what are you predictions?

I don't think he will abdicate because he would suffer in his mother's honour if he has to. Otherwise he would have convinced her to break protocol and let it go straight to William.

Someone (not a medium or anything just a normal person) said to me the other day she doesn't think William will ever be king. That either there will be a tragedy or a scandal so wild he couldn't possibly be king.

I love hearing people's speculations 😆
Well! I have a bone fide prediction that I picked up accidentally. My brother came round at the weekend to sort out some things which ended up blowing my electrics. When this was rectified he sat me down in front of the TV to calm down and put You Tube on. My brother clicked on something to demonstrate something technical to me and left the video running. Anyway long story short whilst my brother and I were chatting with this "video" running in the background it turned out to be a predictions video and my brother stopped our conversation at one point cos he heard something juicy and then we watched the end of this video. Remember I was still in shock after my brother tried to kill me with the electrics but what I can remember is Beatrice is going to have a baby with a special gift, Louise is going to be in the Olympics carriage driving, something to do with Andrew and heart problems (stress?) and a Royal tragedy next year.
My own thoughts on Charles are that I think he will be a good King. Don't know why I think that - I just do.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
William and Kate using their kids as a shield for not working is dumb. They can definitely work during the school day. Every day. Do SOMETHING. Plenty of us parents work full time and manage to be parents too. They live the Life of Riley! They should give back and do their jobs... It's not like it is difficult is it?

They just don't WANT TO WORK imo. They aren't Anne.
I agree. It's also insulting to working parents to say firstly that these two are working when so many of their engagements involve going to sporting events and evening galas, and that they can only be good parents because between the two of them they work about a day or two a week. There are plenty of good parents who make time for their kids while working and having to do things they don't, like the washing cooking and cleaning.

Reactions: 13
I live in Canada and it would be difficult to get rid of the monarchy here. Many of the indigenous treaties are tied into the monarchy. They would have to all be rewritten.

Reactions: 10
What do they all actually do with themselves? I was thinking this earlier about Eug and Bea.

I am pretty neutral about the Royals, I see they’re problematic but it’s all the drama, Mick, I just love it.

• Haha
Reactions: 33
What do they all actually do with themselves? I was thinking this earlier about Eug and Bea.

I am pretty neutral about the Royals, I see they’re problematic but it’s all the drama, Mick, I just love it.
I think they both have token jobs.

Reactions: 4
William and Kate using their kids as a shield for not working is dumb. They can definitely work during the school day. Every day. Do SOMETHING. Plenty of us parents work full time and manage to be parents too. They live the Life of Riley! They should give back and do their jobs... It's not like it is difficult is it?

They just don't WANT TO WORK imo. They aren't Anne.
They do stuff behind the scenes though. Meeting with their foundation, charities etc. I don't disagree that they have been workshy but there is definitely behind the scenes work for stuff like Earthshot or Kate's early childhood foundation. Both could certainly do with channelling Anne's work ethic. But so could everyone! She's an impressive woman.

I also think for the sake of the kids it's good William and Kate have been able to spend so much time with them while young. Especially given what their roles as P&P of Wales and later King and Queen Consort will demand.

This lists all the charities and orgs the Royals are attached to. So no small part of their job is attending stuff to do with them, or board meetings and the like. It's certainly not the grassroots on the ground stuff of course, but a royal patron does help a charity raise funds and whatnot.

Also this was released for Anne's 70th and shows a bit of behind the scenes of what is involved in engagements:

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I think the new P&P of Wales will have no choice but to step up. I don’t think Charles will be anywhere near as active in duty as the late Queen and I doubt Camilla is relishing the prospect at being dragged to every event. It was nice for them before, all the trappings but could still lead a life of sorts. William and Kate need to be much more hands on and seen. I think they too are in for a shock, again they have lead a lovely life in their early married years and have been able to bring up the children away from the glare of the media. They need to roll their sleeves up now and get stuck in.

Reactions: 14
Well! I have a bone fide prediction that I picked up accidentally. My brother came round at the weekend to sort out some things which ended up blowing my electrics. When this was rectified he sat me down in front of the TV to calm down and put You Tube on. My brother clicked on something to demonstrate something technical to me and left the video running. Anyway long story short whilst my brother and I were chatting with this "video" running in the background it turned out to be a predictions video and my brother stopped our conversation at one point cos he heard something juicy and then we watched the end of this video. Remember I was still in shock after my brother tried to kill me with the electrics but what I can remember is Beatrice is going to have a baby with a special gift, Louise is going to be in the Olympics carriage driving, something to do with Andrew and heart problems (stress?) and a Royal tragedy next year.
My own thoughts on Charles are that I think he will be a good King. Don't know why I think that - I just do.
Oh there's that word tragedy again!

And maybe Beatrice is pregnant after all. With a genius!

Also I was so invested in the electrics story. Did you get it sorted?.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Re: cancer

So much of cancer comes down to lifestyle - things like fresh clean air from the estates, nutritious food and access to the best medical healthcare goes a long way to account for why they beat the average.

The queen seemed suited to dealing with the pressure of the job and managing stress is a big factor. Must have really helped adjusting to it from such a young age. Will be so much harder for Charles to get used to his new life.
King George VI & Princess Margaret both suffered with lung cancer I believe

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.