Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

VicksterIcon

Chatty Member
After the sad 10 days of HMQ mourning we sadly lost my father in law today due to a fall a couple of weeks ago which resulted in him contracting pneumonia.

Your comments today have given me a little bit of humour through the emotions we are feeling today (and especially after yesterday) so thank you 😊

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 54

Renegadedancer

VIP Member
National mourning has finished and now the Royal Family get a much deserved week to mourn their loss. No official engagements will take place. They must have so much to process.
What a wonderful send off she had , now is when we will start to really miss her ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 52

Cah

Chatty Member
I like to think when she did the Paddington sketch she thought "It's my Platinum Jubilee, I'm 96 and I'm going to have a bloody laugh doing it!" Nothing more to it than that.

• Heart
Reactions: 51

Stillwater

VIP Member
There’s no way they would have rolled her out if she had diminished capacity. That would have stripped her of dignity. No way she would have met Truss either.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

IndominusRex

VIP Member
I really don’t think they would make someone with advanced dementia conduct meetings with prime ministers etc.

Reactions: 40

Boredofgrey

VIP Member
I’m going to give Charles a chance. He’s seemed to be very visible this past week or so. I think William is the one who will struggle as he and Catherine are now on full term duty like it or not. Some big changes are needed re money and no of patronages etc as there’s just not enough of them to go round anymore. I like what I’ve seen so far from Charles. A little grace period to grieve is in order. He’s waited his whole life for this. He’s not giving it up without a try.

• Heart
Reactions: 40

Suzesnooze

VIP Member
Someone mentioned in the last thread about the royals not getting cancer.

The Queens father died of lung cancer and The Queen Mother had colon and breast cancer. I think Philip had bladder cancer and it’s possible the Queen had cancer with how rapidly she deteriorated. Just because they’re royal and have good healthcare treatment does not mean they won’t get cancer.

Reactions: 38

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I don’t think anyone should pay inheritance tax whether you are Joe Bloggs or Lord Farquhar. I’d vote for anyone that scraped this. We are taxed in life then in death. It’s nothing more than grave robbing.

• Heart
Reactions: 38

Amelia99

VIP Member
The Paddington sketch wasn’t really out of character. She did a comedy skit before for the opening of the 2012 London Olympics.

The speculation about her physical amd mental health is pointless really. Bottom line is the woman was nearly 100 years old. At that age most people have underlying health issues and can go from being well to dying in a very short time.

Reactions: 36

under the ivy

VIP Member
Anyone else find it a bit jarring how the coverage has stopped? I know it wouldn’t go on forever obviously but, still weird

• Heart
Reactions: 35

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I think no invitation to Obama's 60th birthday party was the kiss of death on that. All black/Dem Party power brokers she needs to run for political office were there. Obamas were greeted and treated so kindly by the Queen, they know which side of the bread their butter is on. Also, Markle has no political platform or substance.

View attachment 1601969

The invitation list to Obama's birthday party was scrutinized thoroughly as the road map of the future Dem party.
Obama spoke so beautifully about The Queen last week. He said they gave her a very small brooch and despite all her magnificent jewels she wore it the following night to a function, which as he said was such a classy thing to do. She invited their children and Michelle to tea when they next visited London and she arranged that the girls got to sit in the gold coach.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

Libbylulu

VIP Member
Why has Gayle King started to spout information about the Sussex’ time during the mourning period? How does she know? Or is she being given information? Same with Omid Scobie?

My two penneth, for what it’s worth is that I liked them. Harry was the most popular member of the royal family for a while despite his fancy dress and nude billiards. I celebrated the wedding like most people and wished them well. However cracks started long before they left and I feel Meghan said a few odd things like she didn’t know who he was, how to curtesy, but hey ho, she was new so I shrugged. There was a lot of negative press, like the tiara debacle and Charlotte’s dress too.

When they left I actually admired them for owning it. Wanting out of something they didn’t enjoy and found difficult. Here’s where my difficulties start…. They should have then enjoyed the life they wanted, stayed quiet and private and played the game. Whatever the press reported, ignored it, over time, they would have definitely gone up in the publics opinion. But the didn’t. They started to address press reports, nit picks and it’s been sadly their biggest mistake to do Oprah, write a book, do podcasts etc because it shows they bring nothing other than criticism to the RF. People are tired and bored of it and it shows how little else they have to talk about. Hiring an official spokesperson to speak in their behalf would be better too rather than just drip feed fodder and gossip. I hope they go back to CA and enjoy the private life they wanted, keep their heads down and bring up their children out of the spotlight as they wished.

• Heart
Reactions: 34

Stillwater

VIP Member
What do they all actually do with themselves? I was thinking this earlier about Eug and Bea.

I am pretty neutral about the Royals, I see they’re problematic but it’s all the drama, Mick, I just love it.

• Haha
Reactions: 33

Poppysmimi

VIP Member
I honestly think the skin colour thing was no more than is he going to be a redhead with extremely pale skin or is he going to take after his mother with no sense of disparaging either outcome. Lots of families do it. A blonde parent with blue eyes and a brunette with brown eyes etc. I don’t think it was an inherently racist comment. M&H chose to interpret it as such. Obviously I don’t know the exact words used but..
Im white and my husband is black. We would have this conversation with our families all the time before our first child was born, wondering what tone of skin they’d have 🥰
Wouldn’t have crossed my mind to interpret it as racist

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I agree and I know everyone loved the Paddington sketch but it was so unlike her how she acted and behaved (almost child like) previously that I thought then something wasn't quite right.

I know Camilla talked of her lovely smile but to be honest I used to think she rarely smiled that much and the only time I saw her smile properly or look really happy is when she was around horses!
When I was a child in the 90’s the Queen was a much more stern figure than she became in recent years. The whole ‘Nations Grandmother’ thing is a very recent development, she rarely smiled in public in fact I’d say she looked bloody miserable at times. She was often criticised for being cold and I can remember people implying she’d been a bad mother in particular to Charles.Its no secret he was fad closer to the QM than her when he was a child. Id also noticed her voice changed, she was less ‘posh’ if that makes sense and in more recent times her speech slowed down.

House of Tea

VIP Member
When I was a child in the 90’s the Queen was a much more stern figure than she became in recent years. The whole ‘Nations Grandmother’ thing is a very recent development, she rarely smiled in public in fact I’d say she looked bloody miserable at times. She was often criticised for being cold and I can remember people implying she’d been a bad mother in particular to Charles.Its no secret he was fad closer to the QM than her when he was a child. Id also noticed her voice changed, she was less ‘posh’ if that makes sense and in more recent times her speech slowed down.
Because of her long reign she was popular as a young woman, but in middle age her popularity waned, particularly when pretty Diana came. When she got older she loosened up and she became popular after a number of fallow years. Society doesn’t like middle aged women, and I think a bit of that was going on. She became visible again when she moved to grandmother of the nation status.