The Royal Family #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Whitchell would be proud of all the Whitchelling ;)
I was going to edit my post to say Witchelling! Also, as I was driving home from work today I caught myself chuckling about the World Leader Bus Trip and the Macron-Trudeau version of Frere Jacques 😄

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I was going to edit my post to say Witchelling! Also, as I was driving home from work today I caught myself chuckling about the World Leader Bus Trip and the Macron-Trudeau version of Frere Jacques 😄
I wonder if they had anyone supervising them on the bus?

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Private Eye really is the only thing worth reading when it comes to the Royals. Most the mainstream media follow up their stories anyway.
But yes, it was clear from the Eye that HMQEII was gravely unwell and that her flunkeys were in massive denial. They definitely could have prepared the public better instead of ignoring the obvious. A missed opportunity, I feel, to be more open, but who knows what HMQEII was instructing them to say or not say, and when? And were her instructions kept up to date or was it left until it was too late to broach the subject? And when a person is so elderly and frail and deteriorating what is best to say? What CAN you say if they’re not fully compos mentis?
Tricky, I think.
What is also obvious from the Eye is just how assertive and considerate PW is, and can be particularly consulting with his father and acting as a consulted. I think when his time comes, he will be a remarkable king and global leader.

I think anyone with functioning eyesight could have seen The Queen was not long for this world for at least the past year. But she felt her role was for life and she would never have considered stopping while she could still even barely function. So I guess everyone around her was just working to make everything run as smoothly as possible given the situation.

Don’t give them the power.
if the family want to sort out family issues, let them and don’t let an on line outlet or some random YouTuber or body language expert with way too much time of their hands co troll what you want to do.
In an ideal world that would be true. But that is sadly not how things work. They’re not any family, they’re the Royal Family whose very existence relies on the support of the public and they know the media is very influential in manipulating opinion. So they realise they have to factor them into their thinking. I don’t honestly think they’re too bothered about random YouTubers or trolls. But media with a genuine national and global reach and huge reader/audience figures is a different matter. Horrible though it is, it’s influence has to be recognised and taken into account by anyone for whom public opinion is important.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12
I had wondered what would happen if a reigning Monarch had dementia. I’m assuming there would need to be an assessment by a mental health professional to determine if they had capacity to reign.

I expect there would be a Regency. I would expect the scenario has been considered.

Reactions: 6
Good points.

The end of life pathway is a hazardous one to navigate even though we all walk that road at some point.

It won’t stop the speculation as this thread is demonstrating ☺

In a wonky corner of the internet v national press and telly. Eugh.

Reactions: 1
Just after Philip died she seemed to get a second wind. She went to the summit in St Ives and she was quipping at them. I wonder if D of E thought she she should have a more sober mien to maintain the mystique. She listened to him a lot. But when he went she might have loosened the stays a bit.

The groom holding the horse said she last rode that pony 2 days before she went up to Balmoral. He said she had the frailties of a 96 year old but she was engaged and bright - and he thought she would be back.

Re extended family - the Gloucesters and Kent’s - they are elderly and their positions won’t be filled on their demise. So a bit of natural wastage there.

Charles has a thin skin. He would probably want people to step up and fill gaps but not be as popular as him. He famously hated the fact that crowds wanted Diana not him on walkabouts. He wasn’t proud of his wife’s popularity, he was jealous of it.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I really don’t think they would make someone with advanced dementia conduct meetings with prime ministers etc.
My mam has advanced dementia. I just didn't get the feeling that the Queen had it, and would have sworn she didn't, but I see others on this thread who also have / had loved ones with dementia, and who did observe certain changes in Her Majesty, so I really don't know now. I maybe didn't observe the Queen as well as others. I would have sworn it was something mostly physical like heart failure or cancer, or just the various things that can happen with advancing age, like the mobility issues and being bent over. All I can say is fair play to her for working as best she could, right up until 2 days before she passed. Whilst we knew she may not have long because of her age and frailty, we certainly wouldn't have thought when she was meeting Liz Truss that we'd be hearing of her death just 2 days later 😢

• Sad
Reactions: 21
Anne is quite far down the line of succession sadly! Eugenie and Edward I think would be the next two
The thing is it’s only until the children next in line are old enough. So eventually Harry and Andrew or whoever will be replaced by George, Charlotte

Apparently Beatrice is going to be a council of state, replacing her dad.
She is one already. It’s Wiliam, Harry, Andrew and Beatrice at the moment (with Camilla as spouse). They are the four next people over 18(or 21?) in the line of Succession. If you would cut out PA and PH the next ones are Eugenie and Edward (Sienna and August are too young to make till the Cambridgelings take over).. If you just wait George, Charlotte and Louis and their children will replace Beatrice (George), than Andrew (Charlotte), than Harry (Louis). IF Wiliam isn’t king by then, in that case we have to wait for his grandchildren to get rid of PH. Or maybe we see some change in those rules under KC or KW.

Re: a different HoS. As I said there are good arguments either way. BUT the RF is in the unique position to do tons of charity stuff. Optics play probably big part. Being so privileged it’s expected to do this to give a bit more balance. Technically they could not do this and just horde their money. True for all monarchies in my opinion. Elected HoS don’t have the same impact in that regard. Sometimes their partner build a profile with a special interest but even with long term involvement-the impact is often not as great and many spouses choose to stay out of the public light. No elected HoS brings the same attention to charity or as implemented schemes as PP or PC. Or patronages or show up to so many things (it’s a numbers game for this but it sometimes seems as if some HoS don’t show up for national stuff if it isn’t a massive catastrophe or rubbing shoulders with the powerful and rich crowd). It’s a cool mix of the wealthy background and political/national stage in the UK.

Charles has a thin skin. He would probably want people to step up and fill gaps but not be as popular as him. He famously hated the fact that crowds wanted Diana not him on walkabouts. He wasn’t proud of his wife’s popularity, he was jealous of it.
In which case I predict a swift transfer to something behind the scenes for his new Equerry Major Johnnie Thomson. The guy has gone viral and apparently has a growing online fanbase who have dubbed him “Major Eye Candy.” 😂

I really doubt that the palace courtiers and family were so in denial that they overlooked her decrease in mental acuity. They revered her, there was no way they would put her in a position which showed a mental decline. I think she had been given a terminal physical diagnosis of some kind and she was gradually fading away physically. I am glad she died the way she did. When I saw that last photo, despite the smile and twinkle, she looked so reduced in stature that I didn’t like to see her that way and dreaded the coming further diminishment. She is missed but we remember her as sharp as a knife, our monarch, rather than a doddery old lady.

Reactions: 23
In which case I predict a swift transfer to something behind the scenes for his new Equerry Major Johnnie Thomson. The guy has gone viral and apparently apparently has a growing online fanbase who have dubbed him “Major Eye Candy.”

I said that on a previous thread, I bet JT himself is uncomfortable not least because of his boss’s displeasure.

Also does anyone know what was said today on This Morning about queuegate?
Tears have been shed….

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I
In which case I predict a swift transfer to something behind the scenes for his new Equerry Major Johnnie Thomson. The guy has gone viral and apparently apparently has a growing online fanbase who have dubbed him “Major Eye Candy.”

i can believe that as a young man in his 30smarried to a teenager he didn’t love he probably did find it very annoying. He’s now a 73 year old man married to a woman he truly loves. I imagine his attitude is quite different now re public attention

Reactions: 23
I

i can believe that as a young man in his 30smarried to a teenager he didn’t love he probably did find it very annoying. He’s now a 73 year old man married to a woman he truly loves. I imagine his attitude is quite different now re public attention
Camilla never pulls focus though. She is the support act and knows her place. Witness her trying to sooth his ruffled feathers re pengate.

Reactions: 16
My mam has advanced dementia. I just didn't get the feeling that the Queen had it, and would have sworn she didn't, but I see others on this thread who also have / had loved ones with dementia, and who did observe certain changes in Her Majesty, so I really don't know now. I maybe didn't observe the Queen as well as others. I would have sworn it was something mostly physical like heart failure or cancer, or just the various things that can happen with advancing age, like the mobility issues and being bent over. All I can say is fair play to her for working as best she could, right up until 2 days before she passed. Whilst we knew she may not have long because of her age and frailty, we certainly wouldn't have thought when she was meeting Liz Truss that we'd be hearing of her death just 2 days later 😢
My dad has heart problems and went a bit funny at one point and we though he might have dementia. Turned out to be a lack of oxygen to the brain and he came back to himself once he was treated.

• Sad
  • Heart
I said that on a previous thread, I bet JT himself is uncomfortable not least because of his boss’s displeasure.

Tears have been shed….
If Charles didn't like his first wife stealing the limelight he definitely wouldn't appreciate a flunkey doing it

Reactions: 5
I think anyone with functioning eyesight could have seen The Queen was not long for this world for at least the past year. But she felt her role was for life and she would never have considered stopping while she could still even barely function. So I guess everyone around her was just working to make everything run as smoothly as possible given the situation.

In an ideal world that would be true. But that is sadly not how things work. They’re not any family, they’re the Royal Family whose very existence relies on the support of the public and they know the media is very influential in manipulating opinion. So they realise they have to factor them into their thinking. I don’t honestly think they’re too bothered about random YouTubers or trolls. But media with a genuine national and global reach and huge reader/audience figures is a different matter. Horrible though it is, it’s influence has to be recognised and taken into account by anyone for whom public opinion is important.
I think the daily mail gets an average of something like 2.4 Million individuals visiting its website every day, just in the UK.

They definitely need to be doing more things that get them onto ITV and BBC though, as combined that would have much more reach.

Reactions: 2
Camilla never pulls focus though. She is the support act and knows her place. Witness her trying to sooth his ruffled feathers re pengate.
Exactly. Mind you I think it’s incidents like pen-gate and the “inkwell incident” that will dent his popularity if he doesn’t get his petulance and impatience under control. His mother never lost it in public no matter what. Having hissy fits and waving your hands and pulling faces at flunkeys to move an inkwell you could quite easily shove to one side yourself is not a good look in these less subservient times.

Reactions: 14
I had wondered what would happen if a reigning Monarch had dementia. I’m assuming there would need to be an assessment by a mental health professional to determine if they had capacity to reign.

I expect there would be a Regency. I would expect the scenario has been considered.
It‘s what happened with George III and George IV

But as we know, the press can turn on sixpence and completely forget their previously strongly and stridently held views.
if they live their lives trying to please the likes of the Daily Mail, that is a recipe for disaster … and if they really wanted to heal family rift could anyone really see that as a bad thing?

Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.