The Royal Family #27

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Yes they lived in the same apartments and William joked he was always raiding their fridge!

In their 20’s William and Harry shared a flat for a while.

This always makes me laugh that Kate supposedly set out to get him! How did she know he would even fancy her?!

I don’t believe he’s had or will have affairs since they married. They look too happy for her to be accepting of it and turning a blind eye. She never looks sad or miserable which I’m sure she would be if that was happening.
Here we go, slaughter time again, Kate knew she had as good a chance as any, she is very attractive, but when WIlliam didn't make a move on her quickly enough she took part in a charity modelling event wearing a transparent, revealing frock, that got him going!!! She got him!!

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Yes they lived in the same apartments and William joked he was always raiding their fridge!

In their 20’s William and Harry shared a flat for a while.

This always makes me laugh that Kate supposedly set out to get him! How did she know he would even fancy her?!

I don’t believe he’s had or will have affairs since they married. They look too happy for her to be accepting of it and turning a blind eye. She never looks sad or miserable which I’m sure she would be if that was happening.
I have no idea about the state of their marriage … but I don’t think you can tell any thing about it from carefully curated PR moments either.
there could be all manner of plate throwing going on behind the scenes.
there could be an acceptance
there could be nothing at all.

But one thing’s for sure … while it’s preferable for us not to know, we wont.

Reactions: 16
Here we go, slaughter time again, Kate knew she had as good a chance as any, she is very attractive, but when WIlliam didn't make a move on her quickly enough she took part in a charity modelling event wearing a transparent, revealing frock, that got him going!!! She got him!!
I didn’t even quote you so why do you think you’re being slaughtered?

Your reasoning of how she snared him is actually quite pathetic! So he didn’t fancy her with clothes on but when he saw her in a see through dress he changed his mind? 🤔🙄.

Reactions: 9
It does tbf to Kate a bit of a stretch to base your educational choices on possibly randomly running in to a Prince. Saying that did she not originally choose a different uni or did I dream that?

Reactions: 3
I have no idea about the state of their marriage … but I don’t think you can tell any thing about it from carefully curated PR moments either.
there could be all manner of plate throwing going on behind the scenes.
there could be an acceptance
there could be nothing at all.

But one thing’s for sure … while it’s preferable for us not to know, we wont.
We saw with Diana how miserable she looked and how she was sometimes on the verge of tears at the height of her and Charles troubles. No amount of carefully crafted PR could hide you feeling heartbroken and Kate never looks miserable and they always seem happy to me. I don’t think you can fake that.

Your reasoning of how she snared him is actually quite pathetic! So he didn’t fancy her with clothes on but when he saw her in a see through dress he changed his mind? 🤔🙄.
Thanks for calling me pathetic, how lovely you are!!

Its possible

Reactions: 1
It does tbf to Kate a bit of a stretch to base your educational choices on possibly randomly running in to a Prince. Saying that did she not originally choose a different uni or did I dream that?
She had an offer from Edinburgh Uni too but then that’s how it works, you apply for a few and have a first choice but you get offers from most of your choices.

Thanks for calling me pathetic, how lovely you are!!

Its possible
Don’t be so petty. I called your reasoning pathetic not you personally.

Reactions: 6
It was her personal request to visit the hospice. Could well be due to her own I’ll health and knowing her visit would bring a little joy to those there.
Good point. I have a friend who confronted her fear of death by volunteering at a hospice.
The Queen was said to be nonconfrontational, but I wonder.

Reactions: 4
We saw with Diana how miserable she looked and how she was sometimes on the verge of tears at the height of her and Charles troubles. No amount of carefully crafted PR could hide you feeling heartbroken and Kate never looks miserable and they always seem happy to me. I don’t think you can fake that.
Ya I find them very convincing as a happy couple when they're out together. Their pr is cringeworthy at times e.g. their wedding anniversary video but they do seem very happy together.
Maybe Kate went to St. Andrew's because William was going there too or maybe she didn't. Who knows? She couldn't make him want her or propose to her though. That was his own choice.

What are peoples *gut feelings* about Charles as King?
As in what are you predictions?

I don't think he will abdicate because he would suffer in his mother's honour if he has to. Otherwise he would have convinced her to break protocol and let it go straight to William.

Someone (not a medium or anything just a normal person) said to me the other day she doesn't think William will ever be king. That either there will be a tragedy or a scandal so wild he couldn't possibly be king.

I love hearing people's speculations 😆
While I think the British monarchy should last, I'm not sure its fate is safe in the hands of Charles. His habits of lifelong world-class whinging and now allowing the world to see on camera his private tantrums (throwing things at radios and servants) are not the character we want to see.
The monarch has real challenges and real power to the good -- creating and nurturing a prosperous post-Brexit economic union of the Commonwealth while staving off China's belt and road imperialism in east Africa. (They're building a massive naval base in Cambodia which gives them much more power in the Indian Ocean providing backup for their incursion into east Africa, which seems, temporarily, to have fallen apart.) His unwillingness to visit shithole countries while cultivating Arab zillionaires has been noted, and the penchant for receiving cash in duffel bags from said zillionaires, sometimes in exchange for honors and citizenship, is true corruption. Some people think Harry will be addressing it in his book, as he himself sidestepped overtures from one of Charles'zillionaires.
Charles was way ahead of the game on global warming, and all will be forgiven if he can cajole world leaders into capping emissions and other initiatives. He needs to maintain and increase moral authority to do that. Something he has been very bad at doing, and of which, it seems to me, the on camera tantrums are an ominous and sickening omen.
I think I'm going to have to start praying that his office makes him a better man, for the planet's sake.

Last edited:
I think it is pretty obvious she set out to get him: same plans for gap year as soon as his were announced, changing her plans, switching universities. They had met before uni through Emilia d'Erlanger. She was like a lot of other girls, but played it smart. I've heard some tit from people I'm close to who went to St Andrews at the same time.

100% he had affairs at least pre-marriage, I remember articles of him caught with girls at Sandhurst and going out partying! They broke up quite a few times. I think she's very happy as a kept woman and he's happy she will never question him and is totally loyal. I think they love each other. It works for them but it's not perfect and neither are saints. Just wish they would work a lot more.

I think Charles will do fine. 'tantrums' over a pen is very silly as if he were yelling and shouting at people. He is a sensitive, emotional person who is not at all like either of his parents - which I am sure is what caused so much friction all through his life. I think now that he's king he will command respect, and maybe can situate himself as grandfather of the nation. Nobody is perfect. People expect a paragon like HMTQ. It will be a hard road.

I do stan Camilla, Anne, and Sophie. Big time. :)

• Heart
Reactions: 18
I don’t think abdication is an option. There was so much speculation that The Queen would abdicate to make way for Charles during her later years, then those that were calling for Charles to make way for William even when The Queen was still alive…. It will never happen. I’m not a fortune teller but know that they take their birth right very seriously and know it’s a job for life
A phrase from his speech on the Queen's death he has repeated in one way or another in every speech since -- is being interpreted as saying I will never abdicate.
"That promise of lifelong service I renew to you all today."

Reactions: 3
Abdication is a dirty word for the BRF and they also do make that vow before God - HM and Charles both were/are religious people, to break a vow to God is sacrilege. It isn't like the other royals with a history of abdication like the Dutch. I think it could be better though if it shifted towards that attitude. You can make a vow before God but also enjoy your twilight years.

Because men are not able to choose who they date and marry? It's the same with Meghan - people love to say she got Harry. This narrative of women manipulating men to choose them is so outdated. Sure, both Meghan and Kate accepted the exposure that goes with dating a prince and you need to be determined to be fine with the pressure surrounding the media craziness and the RF - so we can say that they didn't bow out and we can see them as strong-willed, in a good or bad way according to the point of view. But they didn't "caught" them - Harry and William needed wives - one to respond to the duty of being a heir and the other one knowing that would elevate his status. I am sure other women wouldn't have minded to end up as their wives - outside of love, there are some perks that can attract some people.

I just hope in both cases they are happy couples - not easy to have genuine relationships when you are in the spotlight like they are - with many constraints that most people don’t have to go with.

Reactions: 15
She had an offer from Edinburgh Uni too but then that’s how it works, you apply for a few and have a first choice but you get offers from most of your choices.

Don’t be so petty. I called your reasoning pathetic not you personally.
so now I am petty, oh thanks you really have a way with words

• Haha
I have read more than once that Kate deferred to go to St Andrews at the same time as William, allegedly her Mother was very keen for Kate to meet him. Didn’t she also ask William when they did get together when he was going to make an honest woman of Kate? Had my Mom did that to my Husband I would have been mortified.

My Husband isn’t Royalty of course but if that’s true then it says a lot!

Reactions: 9
Also, the challenge the RF face now is a lack of big public events and celebrations.

I'm in my 40s and there's a strong likelihood I won't see another jubilee as they tend to start at 25 years. Royal weddings of Cambridge kids are what, 15 to 20 years away most likely. There are only one or two funerals and coronations ahead. The big public spectacle and celebrations are what help bring the country together and what the RF have been known for.
Yes, I agree. The Queen and her jubilees were a huge part of the UK developing its national myth (very important, Bismarck did Prussia's, Ben Gurion, Israel's, etc and on that many good and bad political theologies and movements are based). And now there is a lacuna at the center there Charles cannot fill.
I have been thinking about the Paddington phenomenon as a possible Disneyfication of the Queen. She often said she wouldn't participate in stunts. As much as I loved the marmelade sandwich joke, I'm sorry to say I think it was a stunt that has now been welded into her swan song.

Reactions: 7
Do tell!!!
So it's nothing exciting but he told me (this being someone I know who went to uni with them) it was pretty obvious she was gunning for him. Like lots of other girls I assume! She was known to body block other gals at their local to make sure nobody else got close to him. Protecting him from people, maybe; but territorial none-the-less. Hanging on him. The whole slip dress was pretty calculated to catch his eye. St A's was a small place and everyone talked about everything apparently! She never stood out much, a lot like the other English posh or wannabe posh gals who attended. He was not the nicest guy or sharpest drawer in the box. She was nice but introverted.

Didn't Katie Nicholl tell a story in her Kate biography that Carole Middleton offered them the master bedroom to kiss and make up after a break up?! He got invited to a party at their house.

Like I said clearly it works for them but I just want them to do their jobs please. They seem happy and have cute kids. I've such a soft spot for wee sensitive George.

Reactions: 8
Yes, I agree. The Queen and her jubilees were a huge part of the UK developing its national myth (very important, Bismarck did Prussia's, Ben Gurion, Israel's, etc and on that many good and bad political theologies and movements are based). And now there is a lacuna at the center there Charles cannot fill.
I have been thinking about the Paddington phenomenon as a possible Disneyfication of the Queen. She often said she wouldn't participate in stunts. As much as I loved the marmelade sandwich joke, I'm sorry to say I think it was a stunt that has now been welded into her swan song.
I think the James Bond stunt at the Olympics went down far better, it was so unexpected I think, the Paddington one was sweet but more contrived somehow.

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.