The Royal Family #19

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Like so many of you, I feel completely numb. No matter if our other VIPs let us down, her grace and dignity and duty made up for our politicians’ shortcomings. You could go anywhere in the world, and people respected her. And in this country so many of us who are not Royalists still loved and cherished her. Very few humans have ever managed that.

Definitely the end of an era. As if she is taking a symbolic part of the United Kingdom with her and that now she’s gone we will be even less United.

The one thing that has brought a wry smile to my face this evening is imagining the publishers of Harry’s booky wook having kittens knowing that it won’t be coming out any time soon, if ever. And that the Montecito Netflix gravy train might soon grind to a very big halt.

nobody was bigger than the Queen, and Charles has some awfully big shoes to fill.

• Heart
Reactions: 37
It does seem like nature's way though. An elderly cat I loved hid himself away to die alone. When my husband died he was only on his own for a couple of hours despite being always in company for three weeks. I only went home to feed my cat and have a shower.The guilt was/is terrible but it's as though it's meant to be. I know that I wouldn't want someone watch me take my last breath. It could be horrible.
Exactly the same with my granny and grandpa. He was in hospital for 3 weeks and she didn’t leave his side until one day she absolutely had to (to have some tests done) and that was when he chose to leave. Despite not being very lucid I truly believe he waited until she wasn’t there. All this today with the Queen passing is bringing back such happy and sad memories of my beloved grandparents, as if it were only yesterday when nearly 30 years have passed. I truly feel for the whole Royal Family tonight. The nation is mourning but you can just imagine how they all feel, even her grandchildren who are so little and won’t fully comprehend it and will be very upset 😢

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 17
Like so many of you, I feel completely numb. No matter if our other VIPs let us down, her grace and dignity and duty made up for our politicians’ shortcomings. You could go anywhere in the world, and people respected her. And in this country so many of us who are not Royalists still loved and cherished her. Very few humans have ever managed that.

Definitely the end of an era. As if she is taking a symbolic part of the United Kingdom with her and that now she’s gone we will be even less United.

The one thing that has brought a wry smile to my face this evening is imagining the publishers of Harry’s booky wook having kittens knowing that it won’t be coming out any time soon, if ever. And that the Montecito Netflix gravy train might soon grind to a very big halt.

nobody was bigger than the Queen, and Charles has some awfully big shoes to fill.
BIB - this is key for me. Out leaders have been woeful for a very long time, self serving, duplicitous and in some cases, downright dumb. And yet, we had the Queen and she made up for all the other donkeys who should have been great but who weren’t. The Queen is from a different era. She was a privileged woman, but one who took her duties seriously, right to the end. She had integrity and was hugely aware of setting us an example. I can’t see Charles in the same way. I can see Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge, someone not born royal, but having the same sense of duty and immense people skills.

I miss the Queen already. She was just ace.

My mother in law was expected to be near death for a while but she clung on. She was in a nursing home. She had loads of visitors. My husband and I and his sister and family spent a lot of time sitting around her bed, in shifts, talking to her even though she was unconscious. We were all there one night and after a few hours we called it a night. We went out separate ways. And she took the opportunity to die as soon as we went. She so planned that, and good on her for doing that.

• Heart
Reactions: 28
I just keep replaying over in my head being the one there with my dad, the one having to make the ‘you need to come now’ phone calls

But then it being too late, as he decided to go when we left him briefly.

Imagine having to do that, make those calls to your siblings, your children, your nieces and nephews. Your parent passes away. All whilst the entire world is watching 😩

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
I really hope Huw gets some rest tonight, he needs and deserves it. He's been incredible and I wouldn't of wanted anyone else to break the news to me.

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Bless you all lovely tattlers. Thankyou for your company on this strange sad afternoon. I have mainly read and not posted but i am grateful for you all. Shes actually gone and she was here all that time😢
Sleep well

• Heart
Reactions: 46
Long time lurker but I wanted to post to echo the sentiment felt by so many others on this forum. I am currently alone in hospital on a covid ward with no visitors and this news hit me like a tonne of bricks and reading everyone’s thoughts all afternoon before and then following the news provided me with such comfort and a safe space to be sad and feel this huge incredible loss so thank you all for that. I’m hesitant to post this but yesterday I had a fever dream of sorts (in and out of feeling exhausted from all the medical tests and headaches) of a nurse knocking on my door and telling me the Queen had died so when I saw the news that drs were concerned about her today I immediately felt sick to my stomach with worry. Can’t stop crying about it and feel like I should be waking up from this all being a horrid dream to be honest! Yes, it was inevitable someday but even after such a long glorious reign this still feels too soon - but I suppose it always would have.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 46
This is my favourite photo I have seen of the queen. I think she looks so beautiful .
Mine too (makes me want to buy a Bardot shoulder-style black dress now). She was so elegant, timeless and regal - at every age in her life, she always looked like a refined head of state. The company I work for is sending a letter of condolence to the Royal Family; I was very touched that they thought to do this

Reactions: 17
I keep thinking of Charles, Anne, yes even Andrew, Edward, Sophie and how broken hearted they must be.

• Sad
Reactions: 21
Time for bed soon, although do not know if i will sleep.
Today has been very emotional and one we will not forget.
Still can't believe our Queen has gone 😔

• Sad
Reactions: 2
Just had another cry on the sofa 😢 I didn’t know her but I feel like I miss her… is that strange? X
Not strange at all, I’m in America and feel like I just lost my beloved great-grandmother, I can't imagine how Prince William and his family must feel right now. King Charles, sounds so strange. You English citizens must be so sad today, you lost a wonderful Queen.

It feels like as a national we’ve lost our Grandma
We in America are mourning too. A very sad day.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
She always made us feel safe however tit things became and I think that is what we are mourning for the most; especially after the last few years.

I have a lot of respect for Charles and think he will make an excellent Monarch but hearing ‘The King’ is so jarring right now 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Anyone else struggling to sleep? The Queen always reminded me of my Nan and I its like its making me feel that loss all over again?

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Very strange unsettling times. It will get odder too for a while. There will be new coins and stamps, the National Anthem with King instead of Queen. King Charles giving the Christmas Day speech.
The Queen was such a reassuring fixture. It all feels odd now.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 18
Anyone else struggling to sleep? The Queen always reminded me of my Nan and I its like its making me feel that loss all over again?
Yeah. This year, I've been close to losing my mum and I know her time is coming. It's all a bit raw. We had a scare at her care home last night , which turned out ok but she's scared as she knows she's very ill. As her only child, it's been very harrowing and I have empathy for the Queen's family because, despite all their screw-ups, they've had her as a constant for all those decades.

Based upon what others have been saying about losing loved ones, when my father was alive he always said that he always hated his own family tradition of relatives gathering round the bedside as a family member was dying. He would dutifully be there when he knew one of them was on their way but found it a little ghoulish. During our final visit to him (in nursing care), I had a sense something was imminent but he didn't pass away until mum and I had left for the night. That was what he wanted, I'm sure. We went and sat with him for a couple of hours after he'd gone, while waiting for the undertaker. It was a beautiful, sunny morning and it was a relief to finally see him at peace after so much suffering, which he'd endured very stoically.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
BBC News reporting ‘The Queen was all that was constant and reassuring.’

I thing that says it all in a very succinct way 😢

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.