Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
Was watching Al Jazeera a little while ago and they were discussing the importance of the royal family, the future of it, and the commonwealth etc. They had guests from Nairobi, in Birmingham (UK) and a guy from UK too. Not sure who they were exactly, but the guy from Nairobi is a journalist I think as seen him before. It was interesting.

They were saying that the issue with commonwealth is that despite it being a good thing generally, it's still a sign of white European dominance and in some ways, supremacy (I'm paraphrasing a bit) over the ex colonial realms, and that it is likely that the the Caribbean countries will remove queen as head of state.

I think they were a bit torn on the commonwealth, but the Kenyan guy did think Commonwealth is still an institution rooted in colonialism that will always haunt it. I wonder if there will be moves to sever the commonwealth when the Queen dies, or will that continue?

• Heart
Reactions: 16

Boring Monday

VIP Member
Oh I think homeboy Tindall cares a LOT about his image and keeping in with the right royals. Harry is spoilt and misguided but he shows amazing empathy and charm at times. Tindall is just a rich boy putting on act. Don’t get the love for him!
It’s probably as much to do with slagging off a soft target … or saying what people want to hear. Make the same comment about someone with a higher popularity index and the reaction would be very different.

Currently Wobblegob Mike, went to private school, married granddaughter of Queen, lives on Mother-in-law estate, fined and suspened from England team for misconduct, 2 drink driving offences/bans, brand ambassador for online bookmakers, claimed furlough for company, concerned about affording private school fees, is riding a wave of popularity as “relatable and down to earth”. Which shows what good PR can do.

• Heart
  • Wow

bubbadabut

VIP Member
Was Omid Scobie always a royal commentator who has his input only come about from his interest in Meghan? I see he’s called the future of the royal family dull after the Queen passes now the Sussexes won’t be involved
He's such a cretin. Ex-Heat reporter is his background. If the Sussexes had stayed, they would've just been doing the same dull stuff as the rest of RF, and been bound by the same strict protocols. Can't see how another couple of 40-year-olds would make it any less dull.

Anyway, we all know Louis is where its at 😂

• Haha

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
If this is Cambridge pr then it sucks. It would have drawn less attention to just move in there without saying any of this.
And they could be rented out or sold off to raise money for the general public. It really annoys me how many homes we provide for anyone in government/royal family whilst people are using food banks!
Or we could actually see 'our' buildings', as well as ' our' never before seen paintings that The Queen keeps in her private collection. If one of the arguments for keeping the RF us that they bring in tourists then tourist's can pay for the upkeep of their homes in admission fees.
In any case, I doubt we will be a Republic anytime soon. The issue is why William and his PR team are so busy persuading us that they are such good value for money and how 'just like you' they are when everyone knows they are not.

Yel

Chatty Member
10 years ago I was all about turfing the queen out of the palaces in order to take the assets into public ownership and create a wealth fund. But it does feel pretty sad that she's coming to the end, even though it's ridiculous for someone to head a country by birth / selected by God.

I'm glad they had very minimal amount of fireworks and lights were doing the heavy lifting. Explosive stuff is such a waste of money and bad for the environment. Projections and drones are the way forward!

In other countries like Sweden members of the royal family take public transport to work. The royal family post Elizabeth R needs to be scaled back so much.

I doubt Harry and Meghan have got much planned in the coming days. They know better than to shit all over the queen and have held back from doing that before.

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
I also noticed the miserable woman sat behind William, wonder what her problem was?😂

This jubilee has seemed a bit more subdued than the rest, but that’s because the Queen’s reign is coming to an end and its been more about saying goodbye than celebrating. The next time we see all the pomp and ceremony of the last few days will be at her funeral. There has been a concerted effort to push Charles and William into the forefront and prepare people for the day she’s not around anymore , but I’m not sure anyone is really prepared and it will hit us all like a ton of bricks when it happens.

• Heart
  • Sad

BonBon27

VIP Member
Why is it every time Kate wears an outfit, someone has to find a photo of Di wearing a similar one?

Drives me mad!
I’m glad someone’s said this! It drives me mad too. It’s highly likely she’s just wearing dresses, not constantly thinking about what Diana once wore 🙄

• Heart

LoopyLou47

VIP Member

Was watching You Tube whilst having breakfast and this popped up - at the end they were concerned about Charles hands and I thought wow wonder what condition is causing that? Is it his heart?
Next thing I watched was about eyebrows. Who knew you needed eyebrow scissors and an eyebrow razor! 😁
I font know what it is with American women being obsessed with fake babies! I suspect much of the danger to those kids is from those nutjobs who think the children are fake, or borrowed or whatever other bollocks they waste their time making youtube videos of. It's the same with kids of dome actors. Benedict Cumberbatch particularly. I think it's the same women too who go from one fake baby conspiracy to another!

• Haha

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
Oooof! I wonder if there was a coup! Heard Angela Kelly is a bit of a spiky person.

Not if they get their Dad’s hairline!
The Windsors age very badly. They all look good when they are young, but hit 30 and it all goes to pot! They had better hope they get Middleton genes, as Kates dad is still quite handsome!

carriebooboo

VIP Member
H&M's financial status really interests me. Count me as a believer that they are living way beyond their means. They bought that cash cow house and paid off the Frogmore renovations as soon as they got their Spotify and Netflix advances/signing bonuses. The US mansion is in a neighbourhood full of Oprahs, Ellens, and Gwyneths - these people have real money, hundreds of millions. Because it isn't just about buying the house, it costs major bank to furnish and maintain places like this. Gardener, housekeepers, house managers, nannies (poor Doria can't be doing it all), security ( :rolleyes: ). Property taxes are massive and due annually in the US as another poster mentioned. Flying private isn't cheap and they can only mooch rides off their richer 'friends' for so long. Private school fees will start soon.

They've made one podcast (I think?) and are currently making the Invictus doc for Netflix. They presumably would have had to use some of the advance money to hire people to do the actual work for these projects (plus the animated show that was cancelled). There doesn't seem to be anything else in the making except Harry's book and possibly future inheritances. More than enough to live on for your average millionaires, but these two aren't living like average millionaires. They will have to downsize their lifestyle at some point.

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Mags44

One of the aspects of the Royal Family I really dislike over the years is how so many of them plead poverty. Well they don't use those terms but it comes across that way.Whether it's Sarah Ferguson and her profligate spending and then crying that she didn't get a good divorce settlement, or Princess Michael of Kent saying she could have married a rich man but she didn't and therefore is not doing well. Harry and his disbelief that his father wouldn't be paying his bills in his 30s. Its like they have to mention there lack of money. I often wondered why they do this and whether its some attempt at cos play on their part.

• Heart

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
Seeing the queen at 96 makes me realise that I don't want to live that long even if it was possible to happen, which is doubtful. I'd be ecstatic with another 40 years and I'm currently 35.

Makes you realise how important it is to live life while young because old age is a bitch even for those with wealth and privilege.
She has only really deteriorated in the last few months or so I think, or even since she had covid. She's had a pretty decent run until then

FenellaTheWitch

VIP Member
It doesn’t matter either way. Charles and William both actively dislike him and he will be frozen out completely when the Queen dies.
TQ is having a rare mis-step with Andrew but fortunately Charles and William are on the ball.

Andrew is such a massive arrogant twat that nothing will get through to him that his not wanted.

carriebooboo

VIP Member
A framed photograph of Andrew in his naval uniform is prominently displayed on the Queen’s desk in her study at Buckingham Palace. Her undisguised affection for her second son stands in sharp contrast to her cool relationship with Prince Charles, with whom she never properly bonded when he was a child. Charles was born just after World War II, when Elizabeth was overwhelmed by her awesome new public responsibilities. She was frequently away on extended foreign trips, and when she was at home she deferred on family matters to her husband, Prince Philip, who was known to belittle their shy, sensitive son cruelly in public.

By the time Andrew was born, 12 years later, things were different. The Queen had gained a great deal of self-confidence, and she wanted to make up for the shortcomings in her parenting of Charles. Right after Andrew’s birth, she sent a note to her cousin Lady Mary Cambridge. “The baby is adorable,” she wrote. “All in all, he’s going to be terribly spoilt by all of us, I’m sure.”

The spoiling never stopped. “Whenever she hears that Andrew is in Buckingham Palace, she’ll send him a handwritten note, and he always goes to see her,” a former Palace aide told Geoffrey Levy and Richard Kay of the Daily Mail. “If he’s in jeans, he’ll change into a suit. And he always greets ‘Mummy’ in the same way—bowing from the neck, kissing her hand, and then kissing her on both cheeks. It’s a little ritual that she adores. Believe me, he can do no wrong.”

From 2011: https://archive.vanityfair.com/article/share/ac60f552-4163-4d39-a36b-d2014fe20062

• Sick
  • Wow

LoopyLou47

VIP Member
Anmer House renovations were paid for by private royal funds, again not taxpayers

Yes I am sure, the Mirror is wrong. As even its own article makes clear the Sovereign grant may have provided funds but the grant comes from the Crown Estate, again not taxpayers
Profits from the Crown Estate goes to the Treasury. The more spent on kitchens for the Royals, the less goes to the Treasury so both statements can be correct.

Gym&Tonic

VIP Member
They just showed a clip of her on the balcony from 3 days ago and the difference from today is striking.
Is it me imagining that?
No, not just you. I noticed as well. She looked tired and unwell today, very pale.

I don‘t think she’s going to be with us much longer. The rest of the family all looked so sad. The next time we see that kind of pomp will be her funeral.

• Sad

klarakluckbag

VIP Member
I'm not a royalist by any means, and I didn't see much of the celebrations, but I've loved the Louis clips. It's been 20 years since my son was that age, but seeing Louis acting up, climbing all over the place, pulling faces, and being a proper little fidget, really brought back memories. My kid was exactly the same, couldn't sit still for a minute!

Are there really people on Twitter who think that Kate should have lamped him for "misbehaviour"? What a cesspit that place is.

Boring Monday

VIP Member
Didn't know he said that. Yeah, that's a ridiculous thing to say really. Surely Zara must be bringing in a fair bit of moola.
Well, they live in a house on the Gatcombe Estate of Anne’s (which strangely no one ever wants to see the rent book for or know the details of). They have sponsorship deals with the likes of Landrover and Rolex, Zara has a string of championship horses at her disposal, he used to - might still be? - a brand ambassador for an online betting company, he’s the director of a company that furloughed staff in the pandemic, his kids have The Queen as great granny and the Princess Royal as Granny. I think he was worrying unnecessarily.