The Royal Family #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think Switzerland is doing ok as is Portugal and they don’t have monarchies?
Also totally unrelated but I would love to visits both Portugal and Switzerland!
Switzerland is a tax haven
Sweden and Norway are successful countries not because of monarchy. They are nice places to live as a result of balancing between free market and welfare for its citizens.

Finland, Germany, Austria are not monarchies, too.:p:m
And who can name the Presidents of Finland, Germany and Austria, barely a majority of their own people let alone the rest of the world!

And who can name the Presidents of Finland, Germany and Austria, barely a majority of their own people let alone the rest of the world!
Why does it matter if you can name the presidents? I can name the Presidents of Russia and China and the Supreme Leader of North Korea - doesn’t mean they are great countries to live in? This argument you keep bringing up makes no sense.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Switzerland is a tax haven

Why does that even matter? They're Heads of their own states, not celebs.

Reactions: 11
Why does it matter if you can name the presidents? I can name the Presidents of Russia and China and the Supreme Leader of North Korea - doesn’t mean they are great countries to live in? This argument you keep bringing up makes no sense.
And they are all Republics, so refuting your argument Republics are great places to live in automatically. In fact most constitutional monarchies left now are far better places to live than the average Republic.

Not to mention the Queen is far better known than the President of Germany for instance, a country of equal size whose President fails in his main role as a ceremonial head of state of marketing and projecting himself and his country.

Otherwise we have a grand all powerful, imperial elected President Johnson or Blair like the French or Americans do who has major impact into policy and legislation, can declare war etc but who half the country will always hate if they did not vote for them

• Haha
Reactions: 1
I expect each item travelling separately is for insurance. If you owned a business that required cash or valuable transfer of more than around £5000, you’d need to do so with increased trips/increased people. I work in commercial insurance- it’s as boring as it sounds - 😂
Isn't there a rule that heirs never travel together in case of accidents? In the cases of William as a child and now George, that was disregarded but it serves to protect the direct line. In addition, two Councillors of State were required and the only other two are Andrew and Harry, both problematic. Maybe with 50% of the CoS stepping down from royal duties, there should be others added such as Anne and Edward.

The Crown was coming from a different direction so it makes sense that it came separately; it always did. It's the same in Edinburgh: the crown comes from Edinburgh Castle to the Parliament at Holyrood with the Hereditary Bearer to ensure its safety, while the monarch travels from the Palace of Holyroodhouse in exactly the opposite direction. In both cases, The Crown must be present but the actual temporary personnel are more optional. Given that Holyrood has fewer state openings than Westminster, it's likely that the next will again be a Duke of Rothesay job, if not one for the new King.

Reactions: 3
And they are all Republics, so refuting your argument Republics are great places to live in automatically. In fact most constitutional monarchies left now are far better places to live than the average Republic.

Not to mention the Queen is far better known than the President of Germany for instance, a country of equal size whose President fails in his main role as a ceremonial head of state of marketing and projecting himself and his country.

Otherwise we have a grand all powerful, imperial elected President Johnson or Blair like the French or Americans do who has major impact into policy and legislation, can declare war etc but who half the country will always hate if they did not vote for them
I like you TYL159, you never fail to amuse me. How are you celebrating the Jubilee? You getting any mementos?

• Haha
I like you TYL159, you never fail to amuse me. How are you celebrating the Jubilee? You getting any mementos?
Probably a mug and teatowels. We will be attending the beacon lighting in our town in the week and have a lunch and band concert on the Sunday

I don't even know how people celebrate the Jubilee. I was just thinking of watching it on TV. Does it run over the whole weekend or just on a Sunday?

I don't even know how people celebrate the Jubilee. I was just thinking of watching it on TV. Does it run over the whole weekend or just on a Sunday?
I think there are various events on different days. How many of them things that would be on TV is a different question

There are local parties on all over the place. There are probably things at National Trust properties. I doubt I'll be watching anything on the TV for it especially if it's going to be Cliff Richard!!

• Haha
  • Sick
Reactions: 4
I'll be watching it all on the TV probably with a glass of wine or two. There is a street party where I live but I'm not going.

I've bought myself the the Swatch How Majestic. I've always loved Swatch watches and had many over the years. She changes colour.

product84811-1600_cropped.jpg.thumb_FFFCFA_728x1000.jpeg

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 19
I'll be watching it all on the TV probably with a glass of wine or two. There is a street party where I live but I'm not going.

I've bought myself the the Swatch How Majestic. I've always loved Swatch watches and had many over the years. She changes colour.

View attachment 1259481
Oh that looks cool. How much was that? I wouldn't wear it, but it's a nice souvenir piece.

I think there are various events on different days. How many of them things that would be on TV is a different question
Oh ok. Are the best celebrations on Sunday? That's normally when the Queen is present on the balcony, right?

Oh ok. Are the best celebrations on Sunday? That's normally when the Queen is present on the balcony, right?
I think the balcony bit comes after the Trooping of the Colour which is on the Thursday.

In terms of souvenirs, while I am not a royalist by any definition, it is a historical event and I have a thing for pretty mugs so I am seriously considering this one as I will take any excuse to buy another pretty receptacle for my boring Lipton.

5114880_platinum_jubilee_mug_mob_sq_a.jpg

Reactions: 7
For the person who has to organise a party for elderly clients, have you looked up The Big Jubilee Lunch? There are some good ideas there. I'm liking ' pin the Crown on The Queen' and the 'make a crown templates for my client group 😄

I think the balcony bit comes after the Trooping of the Colour which is on the Thursday.

In terms of souvenirs, while I am not a royalist by any definition, it is a historical event and I have a thing for pretty mugs so I am seriously considering this one as I will take any excuse to buy another pretty receptacle for my boring Lipton.

View attachment 1259826
Nooo! Don't show me a nice mug! ( googles)

View attachment 1259826
sorry but have you got a link for this mug please? it would be perfect for my mum!

View attachment 1259826

Is that the Fortnum's one? I am seriously tempted to buy that. I really like it.

EDIT: It is.

sorry but have you got a link for this mug please? it would be perfect for my mum!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.