The Royal Family #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah, yes, it's totally Charles's fault for the content of the government's speech! Blame the governments and their horrendous worldwide policies the last 2 years in destroying our society and economy for nothing.

Reactions: 13
I don't mind "russincheshire", but I think he's missing a big point here. It's not the monarchy we should be mad at, it's ourselves as a society for letting that pompous twit become our prime minister. Everyone who called him 'boris', everyone who laughed and watched Have I Got News For You, everyone who believed the bendy banana boll0cks, everyone who thought Brussels was a byword for beaurocracy. They should be the focus of the anger about inequality, NOT an institution that costs us relatively little in return for the fact that Alexander isn't the president.

This country made Johnson and his family. They are a reality TV show who SOMEHOW managed to influence the country. I despair.

Reactions: 19
I respect the Queen and what she’s represented and witnessed over a long reign. I can’t imagine feeling the same about Charles or William though. I’ve nothing particularly against them, just that they don’t represent anything interesting or inspiring at all to me. I think Kate actually does a good job in that she gets on with what you might expect her role to be, without drama, based on the family she married into. But still, nothing beyond that. I’m just not sure there’s enough to keep the respect there in the future.

The world is crumbling and I don’t know what the remaining royal family has to offer. I mean - can we imagine celebrating Prince (King) Charles’ birthday? Who cares? Think of the fun of when The Queen did that skit with Daniel Craig - I can’t imagine that with Charles, again, who’d care?

Reactions: 5
I don't mind "russincheshire", but I think he's missing a big point here. It's not the monarchy we should be mad at, it's ourselves as a society for letting that pompous twit become our prime minister. Everyone who called him 'boris', everyone who laughed and watched Have I Got News For You, everyone who believed the bendy banana boll0cks, everyone who thought Brussels was a byword for beaurocracy. They should be the focus of the anger about inequality, NOT an institution that costs us relatively little in return for the fact that Alexander isn't the president.

This country made Johnson and his family. They are a reality TV show who SOMEHOW managed to influence the country. I despair.
It's that insidious word again - influencers. Plus PR to make us think the opposite of the truth. Mind bending....

Reactions: 2
It is unfair to blame Charles for the Queens Speech, written by the government, but I feel our fawning obsequiousness and blind willingness to believe that someone posh obviously knows what's good for us is in not a small part a result of us being a monarchy. Its why Jacob Rees Mogg can get away with his fake aristo act while telling the poor he is doing something for them ( brexit) when in reality he is found something for himself ( brexit) that will in the end be at their expense, when employment laws are trashed, and people who speak and have a background like Johnson can get away with so much. I feel we haven't quite grown out of feudalism and harking back to past glories, and a large part of that is monarchy and their links to Empire ( The offending crown is called the Imperial Crown). You can see the comments when Barbados and Jamaica wanted to become Republics- there was a ' how dare they insult our Queen?' As if they dont have a right to self determination, and the 1950's Pearl clutching when a divorced American ( or even a middle class girl like Kate) dared marry Princes. And that was not from the aristos but from ordinary working class people.

taking the kids to Windsor Castle on Thursday. I'll pop in on Lizzie and let you all know what the situation is 😆
@bubbadabut I'm taking mine on golf term. Was it good? Can you see inside?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
@LoopyLou47 oh I don’t think anyone actually believes they care out of the bottom of their hearts. They have no real grasp on the difficulties normal people face or the realities of our lives (not just the hard parts but also the very neutral ones as well). But sadly, I have seen too many promising people with normal backgrounds (you can argue if coming from an well situated family with an education all through prestigious schools/university, basically never working outside politics gives you a much better idea about what the other 90% of the country actually need) becoming opportunistic hypocrites real quick. At least the RF is so obviously out of reality that I don’t feel disappointed to find out Prince Charles needs heated toilet paper with a platinum brim. That’s part of why Kate and William’s “so relatable, so much like us” stick won’t ever work. They can never be and it’s dangerous to try to sell that people because you will offend.

I expect each item travelling separately is for insurance. If you owned a business that required cash or valuable transfer of more than around £5000, you’d need to do so with increased trips/increased people. I work in commercial insurance- it’s as boring as it sounds - 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 17
The RF will never be relatable to the everyday person. As others have said, if they were disbanded they would still remain uber wealthy. Harry has inheritance to last a lifetime, so neither can he relate to normal people.

Reactions: 9
Really good. If you've bought a ticket, that gets you into St George's Chapel, the state apartments and the function rooms and also Queen Mary's dolls house. You have to queue up for the dolls house but it was so intricate, it was worth it. You get one of those hand-held audio guides, there's a kids version too. We'll worth the money. Hope you enjoy it.

Really good. If you've bought a ticket, that gets you into St George's Chapel, the state apartments and the function rooms and also Queen Mary's dolls house. You have to queue up for the dolls house but it was so intricate, it was worth it. You get one of those hand-held audio guides, there's a kids version too. We'll worth the money. Hope you enjoy it.
Thanks! It was that or kew Gardens. We may do both ( if I can get my mum to come and pay for it 😄)

Reactions: 1
@loopyloo
Thanks! It was that or kew Gardens. We may do both ( if I can get my mum to come and pay for it 😄)
Oh yes, hope you get to do both! 😁

I forgot to say, if you want to see the changing of the guard, they only do it on certain days. If you book an early entry time, you can see it from inside the castle. We watched it from where they start, at the Victoria Barracks on Sheet Street, then followed them up to the castle. They have the whole military band playing. It starts at 11am, and is on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

I think if Charlotte was first born instead of George the monarchy would have a brighter future as queens are always more popular than kings

Reactions: 11
@loopyloo

Oh yes, hope you get to do both! 😁

I forgot to say, if you want to see the changing of the guard, they only do it on certain days. If you book an early ticket you can see it from inside the castle. We watched it from where they start, at the Victoria Barracks on Sheet Street, then followed them up to the castle. They have the whole military band playing. It starts at 11am, and is on Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.
Cool. We went to the Tower of London last summer and it was coincidentally some event or other, and we saw the 21 gun salute and changing of the guards. That's great too. I'll keep the days in mind. I was born in London and never went to anything really apart from on school trips, but we live far away now. We go to see my family normally for a week at a time so I'm a London tourist now every year!

I think if Charlotte was first born instead of George the monarchy would have a brighter future as queens are always more popular than kings
Not always, see Mary Tudor

It is unfair to blame Charles for the Queens Speech, written by the government, but I feel our fawning obsequiousness and blind willingness to believe that someone posh obviously knows what's good for us is in not a small part a result of us being a monarchy. Its why Jacob Rees Mogg can get away with his fake aristo act while telling the poor he is doing something for them ( brexit) when in reality he is found something for himself ( brexit) that will in the end be at their expense, when employment laws are trashed, and people who speak and have a background like Johnson can get away with so much. I feel we haven't quite grown out of feudalism and harking back to past glories, and a large part of that is monarchy and their links to Empire ( The offending crown is called the Imperial Crown). You can see the comments when Barbados and Jamaica wanted to become Republics- there was a ' how dare they insult our Queen?' As if they dont have a right to self determination, and the 1950's Pearl clutching when a divorced American ( or even a middle class girl like Kate) dared marry Princes. And that was not from the aristos but from ordinary working class people.

Yet vastly more unequal than us Brazil, USA and India and Russia are all republics. Sweden and Norway however are constitutional monarchies like us

Well, Victoria had a few foiled assassination attempts.
I wonder if that was because they were a novelty and got to dress up more? I also think Elizabeth the first and Victoria to an extent knew they had to be mega strong and assertive in a totally male dominated environment and not show weakness which is also something that Thatcher decided to do.

Not always, see Mary Tudor

Yet vastly more unequal than us Brazil, USA and India and Russia are all republics. Sweden and Norway however are constitutional monarchies like us
Sweden and Norway are successful countries not because of monarchy. They are nice places to live as a result of balancing between free market and welfare for its citizens.

Finland, Germany, Austria are not monarchies, too.:p:m

Sweden and Norway are successful countries not because of monarchy. They are nice places to live as a result of balancing between free market and welfare for its citizens.

Finland, Germany, Austria are not monarchies, too.:p:m
I think Switzerland is doing ok as is Portugal and they don’t have monarchies?
Also totally unrelated but I would love to visits both Portugal and Switzerland!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.