The Royal Family #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Kate and pippa were part of ‘the set’ of course they were always going to marry well and into money, royal connections or not. None of us know what the day to day looks like for Kate or any of the other royals, she could be busy working away on various things and we don’t see it because it’s not a ‘public engagement’ so I think it’s unfair to say she’s workshy…..the fact is Kate could have married some well to do earl or rich barrister and not worked a day in her life in peace without all the scrutiny, but I think she and William genuinely loved eachother and decided to stick with it

Reactions: 16
I think she could have had all that without the bother of dealing with the press, doing engagements etc. She doesn't even like making speeches so I don't see why she'd sign up for it if she didn't love William. I don't get why she'd be determined to have it at all costs but maybe I'm projecting how I'd feel in that situation onto her. I think it's a very difficult life in some ways - I know I couldn't cope with the scrutiny but if you could then I guess you'd be pretty happy with your lot.
It’s all a bit medieval, but sometimes the actual person involved is there for the benefit of advancement of the family as much as anything (think Boleyn’s and Howard’s and Seymour’s). Of course, these days there is no chance of the head being detached and it seems like random handing out of peerages to in-laws is a thing of the past, but the general principle is the same.

(this in no way suggests that this is the case or that there isn’t genuine affection on both sides).

Kate and pippa were part of ‘the set’ of course they were always going to marry well and into money, royal connections or not. None of us know what the day to day looks like for Kate or any of the other royals, she could be busy working away on various things and we don’t see it because it’s not a ‘public engagement’ so I think it’s unfair to say she’s workshy…..the fact is Kate could have married some well to do earl or rich barrister and not worked a day in her life in peace without all the scrutiny, but I think she and William genuinely loved eachother and decided to stick with it
There’s marrying into money and there is having your relation sat on the throne having all the people who snipped about them being Non-U have to swear fealty to them and your descendants. I mean, that would be quite delicious.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
There's a difference between marrying into money and eventually becoming the literal Queen. Pippa was dating the cricketer turned investment banker when Kate got married, that's a nice 6 figure salary. Eventually she married a billionaire after hitting the headlines with her ass.

So Kate marrying William set up her whole family, for generations, for life. James kept on getting funded for his crappy businesses, her parents business skyrocketed, etc

• Heart
Reactions: 8
There's a difference between marrying into money and eventually becoming the literal Queen. Pippa was dating the cricketer turned investment banker when Kate got married, that's a nice 6 figure salary. Eventually she married a billionaire after hitting the headlines with her ass.

So Kate marrying William set up her whole family, for generations, for life. James kept on getting funded for his crappy businesses, her parents business skyrocketed, etc
We will just have to agree to disageee

Reactions: 2
The speculation into your life must be awful but I think obviously on some level they reconcile themselves to it. But things are changing. I think it's going to be an interesting few years for us watching the Monarchy. I always thought Kate would never leave William and if it happens he will initiate it.
William isn’t stupid enough to initiate it, everyone knows the women are the most interesting part of the RF and if he was to be a king sat on a throne alone it wouldn’t take long for people to lose interest.

Reactions: 3
William also knows that a wife of the heir who wears clothes nicely and doesn’t appear to have done anything particularly wrong lives long in the public consciousness should a relationship go south.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
He was advised to smoke to help calm his nerves and help with his speech impediment.
It is believed the speech impediment came about because of the verbal abuse he suffered from George V.
Those were the days when smoking was recommended for asthma, and people in the forces could take part of their pay as a baccy ration.

• Sad
Reactions: 6
I suspect she was used as a scapegoat so they could get rid of Edward the Nazi, so the abdication was all to do with Edward and nothing really to do with her. So a ' commoner' has taken the blame for decades for something caused by the RF offering up an unpleasant and wholly unsuitable head of state.
Wallis Simpson was apparently involved with a Nazi officer, Joachim von Ribbentrop, who was executed after the Nuremberg trials. They ere both Nazi sympathisers.

Reactions: 3
Wallis Simpson was apparently involved with a Nazi officer, Joachim von Ribbentrop, who was executed after the Nuremberg trials. They ere both Nazi sympathisers.
Wasn’t he Ambassador to … I want to say England but I don’t think it was 🤦‍♀️ … in the mid-30’s?

Edit:
Ambassador to the Court of St James 1936/7

I think he was and wanted to use that to try to get close to the Establishment. Not sure about the affair though. I should go back to one of my books, I recently read a biography about Wallis and it was fairly good and even-handed.

Sadly so many people back then were sympathizers and appeasers...

David was just awful in every single way possible, shocking though he was so beloved and popular no one knew how terrible he was as a human being.

They were both nazi sympathisers, as was much of the aristocracy. He was the only one who was capable of cosying up to Hitler in exchange for getting his Throne back.

Reactions: 1
I think Wiliam and Kate made a very conscious decision in marrying. While I do think they love each other, I highly doubt it’s a passionate match. But they seem to be content most of the time. And there are most definitely status and financial factors that at least didn’t hurt. As long as both are happy with it that’s fine. Better than suffering from heartbreak. A match of convenience isn’t the worst choice if the choice is made by the couple and under no pressure. And I don’t give a crap if either of them is a cheat. Cheating is (sadly) common- I am always shocked at the statistics.
It’s pretty hard to get a good read on them. They are very closed off and there are so many rumours that they don’t respond to- almost everything could be entirely made up.

I do think though they should work more. But as the modernisation of the monarchy seems to be underway they will probably align their approach with the other European royal houses and so their numbers are actually very average. I doubt we will see much more but rather less engagements overall for the BRF. That’s the price you have to pay for less members and a new way of royal work. The public can’t have their cake and eat it.

What I really hate is the idea that Kate has always been this great asset that never put a foot wrong. She and Wiliam had massively bad press for years. You would think they were single handily destroying the monarchy over afternoon tea. This newfound love for them is because they are working harder in terms of PR and because the press needed them as alternative to the M&H narrative. The golden couple to underline the fall from grace of the other. It’s a classic narrative they do all the time (Sarah and Diana). I wouldn’t read too much into it.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Also, Kate had performed her primary function and delivered an heir and a couple of spares. Her position improved immeasurably after that … helped by the fact if the press wanted access to the heir and couple of spares they had to play nice.

Reactions: 2
While I do think they love each other, I highly doubt it’s a passionate match. But they seem to be content most of the time. And there are most definitely status and financial factors that at least didn’t hurt. As long as both are happy with it that’s fine. Better than suffering from heartbreak. A match of convenience isn’t the worst choice if the choice is made by the couple and under no pressure. And I don’t give a crap if either of them is a cheat. Cheating is (sadly) common- I am always shocked at the statistics.
Yes, and to be fair, how many marriages are swinging from the chandeliers anyway after a couple of kids and 10-20 years? They've got what they wanted- he has some heirs and an compliant, Monarchy friendly wife and she has kids , a life of luxury and the chance of being Queen. They could live completely apart for all we know. They have the space.
What I don't like is people making out she is the perfect woman and some kind of role model for girls- as if all women should aspire to is extreme compliance. When she had George Kay Byrley I think it was said ' Oh she's so perfect she even had a boy first' Royal sycophancy just brings out the 1950s in people, it seems. Just like the sudden horror that a divorcee married a Royal, as if the Royals aren't mostly made up of divorcees themselves!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Yes, and to be fair, how many marriages are swinging from the chandeliers anyway after a couple of kids and 10-20 years? They've got what they wanted- he has some heirs and an compliant, Monarchy friendly wife and she has kids , a life of luxury and the chance of being Queen. They could live completely apart for all we know. They have the space.
What I don't like is people making out she is the perfect woman and some kind of role model for girls- as if all women should aspire to is extreme compliance. When she had George Kay Byrley I think it was said ' Oh she's so perfect she even had a boy first' Royal sycophancy just brings out the 1950s in people, it seems. Just like the sudden horror that a divorcee married a Royal, as if the Royals aren't mostly made up of divorcees themselves!
I get what you're saying but, I'd prefer her to be a role model that the reality stars we have today.

I get what you're saying but, I'd prefer her to be a role model that the reality stars we have today.
To be honest, it’s not really either/or is it?
I don’t think either is really that empowering or role modelly … for the females they both hang on being slim, attractive, able to scrub up well in nice clothes, not being terribly opinionated or vocal, making a ‘good’ match and having good PR.

Reactions: 11
Imagine spending hundreds of thousands on sending your kids to the best schools in the country only for them to end up being glorified housewives - and before people say I am fully aware that they sent them to those schools to get th in the right circles not for an, education which is one of the saddest things I've ever heard

Reactions: 12
To be honest, it’s not really either/or is it?
I don’t think either is really that empowering or role modelly … for the females they both hang on being slim, attractive, able to scrub up well in nice clothes, not being terribly opinionated or vocal, making a ‘good’ match and having good PR.
Yes quite. Women do do other things apart from botox themselves to the hilt to go on Love Island or hang around waiting for a man to marry them so they never have to lift a finger again. Some of them develop covid vaccines, or win gold medals, or run successful businesses, or even shock, horror, become artists or singers, or actors!

Reactions: 8
Imagine spending hundreds of thousands on sending your kids to the best schools in the country only for them to end up being glorified housewives - and before people say I am fully aware that they sent them to those schools to get th in the right circles not for an, education which is one of the saddest things I've ever heard
As I mentioned before, I have proximity to these circles and this happens much, much more than you think. It’s very sad and unfortunate.

But we live in a country where upper-class values aren’t as questioned or scrutinised in the way that working-class values are, even though those of the former might be much more toxic than that of the latter.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.