The Royal Family #13

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I think it's also to do with the fact that a lot of aristocratic families maybe would prefer there daughters to be with more independent wealthy low key men. I don't know. I always get the sense that with both william and Harry it's who they could get to marry them. Would you advise a woman I'm your family to marry into the Royal family? I think it would be incredibly difficult and not rewarding at all.
Even back in the 1920s, Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon took an awful lot of persuading to marry Bertie, the Duke of York, and give up the life of a wealthy, well-connected aristocrat for that of a royal. George V told his son "you'll be a lucky man if she accepts you" and it apparently took three proposals and the packing off to the Empire of a competitor.

Even back in the 1920s, Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon took an awful lot of persuading to marry Bertie, the Duke of York, and give up the life of a wealthy, well-connected aristocrat for that of a royal. George V told his son "you'll be a lucky man if she accepts you" and it apparently took three proposals and the packing off to the Empire of a competitor.
I can totally see that. I think it's because they know what awaits them. Now I don't know how true this is but someone said to Kate its not a case of if William has a mistress but when. That is very grim isn't it if true? It's like you just have to accept it. I am not a charles and Diane fan but he allegedly said would you make me the first Prince of Wales without a mistress? There are some many other options for women.

Reactions: 2
I think he may have been worried about her bolting, and she was caught up in an American Disney Princess fantasy of sitting round in Palaces eating grapes or whatever, and they didn't see enough of each other for either of them to have a proper conversation about what it is to be in that family. The Royals have always been awful to outsiders marrying in. That's their fault, and it's not good enough to say people aren't prepared to marry in to the family. If they want people to come into the family and not be miserable and suffering, they need to change.
I briefly read an article a while ago that spoke about how the RF have done an exceptional job with Kate, a good job eventually with Sophie and an awful job with Diana, and Meghan was going down the route of awful for how they handled her. But it ultimately was down to Kate and eventually Sophie realising they worked for the firm and they're not bigger than it, just like Philip realised, but Diana always liked the celebrity and fame too much that she eventually worked for herself. A bit like Harry and Meghan now, they loved the celebrity friends and fan base.

People can say Meghan has too much of a voice to have to give it up or Kate is a pushover, but I've always seen it more as Kate realises how good she has it, she loves in a palace, works a couple of days a week, travels the world and wears fancy dresses, boo bloody hoo if the press are sometimes mean. There's a reason royals don't leave, because the grass is unlikely greener.

Reactions: 9
I briefly read an article a while ago that spoke about how the RF have done an exceptional job with Kate, a good job eventually with Sophie and an awful job with Diana, and Meghan was going down the route of awful for how they handled her. But it ultimately was down to Kate and eventually Sophie realising they worked for the firm and they're not bigger than it, just like Philip realised, but Diana always liked the celebrity and fame too much that she eventually worked for herself. A bit like Harry and Meghan now, they loved the celebrity friends and fan base.

People can say Meghan has too much of a voice to have to give it up or Kate is a pushover, but I've always seen it more as Kate realises how good she has it, she loves in a palace, works a couple of days a week, travels the world and wears fancy dresses, boo bloody hoo if the press are sometimes mean. There's a reason royals don't leave, because the grass is unlikely greener.
Well yes exactly. I laughed when Harry said in that Oprah interview that they were trapped. If they are trapped its because they want to be. Harry was stupid enough to think he was hard done by, until he realised normal people have to actually pay for their staff out of their own money that they earn from their own endeavours. I agree Kate worked hard to be in that position. She wanted it and now she has it. She'll be there for the duration, I think, no matter what's thrown at her.

The speculation into your life must be awful but I think obviously on some level they reconcile themselves to it. But things are changing. I think it's going to be an interesting few years for us watching the Monarchy. I always thought Kate would never leave William and if it happens he will initiate it.

Reactions: 1
I think he may have been worried about her bolting, and she was caught up in an American Disney Princess fantasy of sitting round in Palaces eating grapes or whatever, and they didn't see enough of each other for either of them to have a proper conversation about what it is to be in that family. The Royals have always been awful to outsiders marrying in. That's their fault, and it's not good enough to say people aren't prepared to marry in to the family. If they want people to come into the family and not be miserable and suffering, they need to change.
How do we know she wasn't prepared? She's such a bad liar.

I think they genuinely do love eachother tho, let’s face it, maybe not if he was a 9-5 worker but Kate defo could have married well without having to marry royalty…she ran in the type of circles where she would have lived a very very nice life and not have had to have dealt with the whole tit of being hounded the second she stepped outside or being called names, her appearance and weight scrutinised….frankly with being royalty comes a shed load of crap, think the whole world being told you made someone cry and basically bullied them…after 10 years and knowing the way things were I don’t think she would have taken up the role If she didn’t genuinely love William
She also loves the pomp and ceremony which is a big part of being Royal.

Kate could easily have had Pippa's life which seems a lot easier than her own. I don't think she's been hugely attention seeking since she married into the royals and she seems private about a lot of things so I don't see why she would have married William if she didn't love him.
They have great pr though so who knows. I think Kate has been a massive asset to the royal family -she never causes any bother or controversy. She's always well dressed and she's generally well liked. The worst thing anyone has ever said about her is that she's lazy and that's very tame for that family.

Their 10 year anniversary video was cringe

Reactions: 8
Kate went after William with a steely resolve: she would marry him come hell or high water - and she did. She will always turn the other cheek to anything he says or does. She is a social climber in desperation just like Meghan but knows how to adapt and will put her head down and keep her mouth shut. She likes not having to work much and being able to do as she pleases with multiple homes, holidays, the kids, nannies and all the money.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Kate went after William with a steely resolve: she would marry him come hell or high water - and she did. She will always turn the other cheek to anything he says or does. She is a social climber in desperation just like Meghan but knows how to adapt and will put her head down and keep her mouth shut. She likes not having to work much and being able to do as she pleases with multiple homes, holidays, the kids, nannies and all the money.
Thing is, people call her work shy but if she worked more people would complain she's being a cold and absent mother. There will always be critics.

Thing is, people call her work shy but if she worked more people would complain she's being a cold and absent mother. There will always be critics.
She did nothing but wait for a man to marry her. She could work a few times a week, while they’re in school. She chooses not to. As does William. But remember William said working parents are bad parents a few years ago…

they’re not saints either - they just look better, as bad as H&M are.

• Heart
She did nothing but wait for a man to marry her. She could work a few times a week, while they’re in school. She chooses not to. As does William. But remember William said working parents are bad parents a few years ago…

they’re not saints either - they just look better, as bad as H&M are.
She Told Mary Berry that she waitressed while in University.

I'd like to see the quote of Prince William saying working parents are bad parents please :)

Reactions: 4
She Told Mary Berry that she waitressed while in University.

I'd like to see the quote of Prince William saying working parents are bad parents please :)
Yeah, she worked in college, odd jobs then waited and waited around for him. Didn't really stick with anything (Jigsaw: she quit because she needed to be needed by William, and worked briefly on and off for Mum and Dad because again, William) because he needed her at her beck and call treating her like garbage. I know someone who went to uni with them. I got stories. A lot of women wouldn't put up with it. Kate knew the ultimate prize!!!

There's a quote out there from him saying something how he can't work because they have to be there for the kids, and if you work you aren't there and ergo a bad parent - paraphrased. I think it was circa 2017. He definitely said it. If you work you are not around for your kids and you aren't being a good parent. He's an ass.

They aren't brilliant, amazing people - they just don't do the drama and are quite happy with their lot together, she'll turn a blind eye, and I think she adores him, they have the cute kids. It's all great PR for the monarchy. They at least have settled in and he accepts his destiny now and stopped complaining but they need to step up and work more than 3x a month. They just aren't psychopathic narc drama queens like H&M or awful pieces of entitled-even-for-royalty tit like Uncle Andrew...

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I agree, and he can put it about as much as he likes she's not going anywhere he can have his tarts but only she will end up as Queen.

Was it true though that she fancied the Duke of Windsor and was very jealous of Wallis ? It was always said that she resented the Windsors because the abdication forced her nervy husband to become King and that the trauma of the experience shortened his life. But could jealousy have been a factor as well?

Reactions: 5
I agree, and he can put it about as much as he likes she's not going anywhere he can have his tarts but only she will end up as Queen.

Was it true though that she fancied the Duke of Windsor and was very jealous of Wallis ? It was always said that she resented the Windsors because the abdication forced her nervy husband to become King and that the trauma of the experience shortened his life. But could jealousy have been a factor as well?
According to my Gran, the old PoW was a very odd-bod and extremely hard work and anyone who knew him knew what hard work he was and the QM always came across as a bit to sensible to want any of that. Gran always maintained that even Wallis didn’t really want to be with him long term, just enough to get the perks of being an ex-favourite (title, house, settlement, the usual) but was outmanoeuvred by time and circumstance.

My Aunt - who always had a bit of a pash for him - said that Prince Philip treated shockingly in the press, in a very polite 1940’s way which made it even harsher somehow.

Reactions: 4
I think she could have had all that without the bother of dealing with the press, doing engagements etc. She doesn't even like making speeches so I don't see why she'd sign up for it if she didn't love William. I don't get why she'd be determined to have it at all costs but maybe I'm projecting how I'd feel in that situation onto her. I think it's a very difficult life in some ways - I know I couldn't cope with the scrutiny but if you could then I guess you'd be pretty happy with your lot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
There's a fascinating documentary up on YouTube about Wallis's letters to Ernest Simpson. She did NOT want to marry him and she was completely miserable trying to make his life happy and sparkly all the time. Horrified by the abdication, did not want him to do it, tried to run away several times but had police sent to grab her. She was a miserable woman after divorcing Ernest Simpson for Edward VIII... I have sympathy for her.

The Queen Mum had a thing for him and he had no interest in her! I've read it enough places in enough biographies so I believe it... But his thing was married, unavailable older women who would mother him because his mother was dreadful! I find the QM and Bertie's relationship fascinating because it is painted as picture perfect, but what were they really like?

Reactions: 5
I think she could have had all that without the bother of dealing with the press, doing engagements etc. She doesn't even like making speeches so I don't see why she'd sign up for it if she didn't love William. I don't get why she'd be determined to have it at all costs but maybe I'm projecting how I'd feel in that situation onto her. I think it's a very difficult life in some ways - I know I couldn't cope with the scrutiny but if you could then I guess you'd be pretty happy with your lot.
While I believe that Kate loves him, there is a status that comes with being connected with the royals that they didn't have when she first met him - pippa met and married the billionaire AFTER the royal wedding. Same goes with James and the posh French girl.

I think with Kate she's already proven herself to be workshy so she probably doesn't put the work in - 10 years in she should be able to say a few words in public and follow the direction of what the firm tell her to do so I think some of the critism is justified with her. With the press this is the same family who dangle their children out for journalists to tell favourable stories about them so ultimately they hold all the cards.....

Reactions: 6
think Kate has been a massive asset to the royal family -she never causes any bother or controversy. S
Oh yes she is a massive asset to the Royal family for those reasons. She let's them get away with all their tit, will let William get away with whatever he wants to without causing trouble like his mother with her annoying eating disorders and upset at her husbands iinfidelity.Shell grin and bear it until death. Doesn't mean she is anything to admire, but then none of the Royals really are, and she would have been a rich housewife either way.

Nothing to do with his 40 a day habit!

There's a fascinating documentary up on YouTube about Wallis's letters to Ernest Simpson. She did NOT want to marry him and she was completely miserable trying to make his life happy and sparkly all the time. Horrified by the abdication, did not want him to do it, tried to run away several times but had police sent to grab her. She was a miserable woman after divorcing Ernest Simpson for Edward VIII... I have sympathy for her.
I suspect she was used as a scapegoat so they could get rid of Edward the Nazi, so the abdication was all to do with Edward and nothing really to do with her. So a ' commoner' has taken the blame for decades for something caused by the RF offering up an unpleasant and wholly unsuitable head of state.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10

The Queen Mum had a thing for him and he had no interest in her! I've read it enough places in enough biographies so I believe it... But his thing was married, unavailable older women who would mother him because his mother was dreadful! I find the QM and Bertie's relationship fascinating because it is painted as picture perfect, but what were they really like?
Honestly, I don’t think so. We’ve seen these days how Royal Tea Pourers and hangers on come out with all sorts of stuff that pushes their agenda and is just a load of made up old rollix, and I would imagine it was the same then … and David and his … preferences … we’re well known in aristocratic circles. They were actively trying to marry him off to every European Princess they could for decades. If they had a willing victim she’d have been down the aisle faster than you could say ‘she’ll do right enough’.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.