The Royal Family #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Camilla was also given the Garter in the New Year honours list. She's definitely being backed by HMQ.

QE is semi-retired anyway. C&C and W&K are doing all the visits, both internally and externally, while she does Zoom and single person engagements that can only be done by the monarch as well as a few events at her own home like yesterday's. She will never step down but she has handed a great deal over to her next two heirs and their opinions are carrying a great deal of weight, as with the recent treatment of Andrew.

On a lighter note, I'm interested in seeing which consort crown gets used! There are four in the English Crown Jewels, Queen Adelaide's which replaced Mary of Modena's which had been used for all previous consorts but which is now only a frame, Queen Alexandra's, Queen Mary's and Queen Elizabeth's. QE's is the lightest being platinum and the most complete with jewels. However, Queen Mary began the custom of the dowager consort attending the coronation of the new monarch and wearing her own crown without the arches at it - as a crowned queen consort there is no other appropriate diadem. Queen Elizabeth did the same with her crown and if Queen Mary had lived another few months she would have done the same at a second coronation. So, there is always the possibility of more than one dowager queen consort plus a current one requiring a crown to wear! I suppose they could take the three extant crowns in rotation... 😁
BiB - Platinum is actually the heaviest of the precious metals. and silver gilt is the lightest. For example, Queen Mary’s crown was made of silver gilt, but had more metal in it than the Queen Mother‘s crown because it has 8 half arches as compared to the 4 half arches of the Queen Mother’s crown, so it’s debatable which crown would be the lightest, but for sure the logic of “lightest because it is made of platinum” is 100% wrong.

Queen Mary’s crown
1644504755896.png

Queen Mother’s crown
1644504926800.jpeg

Reactions: 6
Yes it is a tourist attraction but maybe more accessible to tourists where they the RF can profit more directly from it and can become completely financially independent from taxpayers. I just think because of recent events and conspiracy theories surrounding the RF and their aides, it’s had its day in modern society. Some of it seems very out of touch and self entitled. It will be very odd when the queen disappears off money, stamps etc and I just think no one will be able to match to her. It won’t be the same.
I image a lot of people said the same towards the end of Queen Victoria’s 63 year reign!

There had been Victoria’s seclusion and then the John Brown “affair” which knocked the popularity of the monarchy during her reign. There was also a big push for a republic around 1870, yet here we are 150 years later, monarchy still intact and everyone still having the same sort of conversations about the relevance of the monarchy. Maybe it’s a time thing. Ever since it was tried 370 years ago and then reverted back to a monarchy, it seems to pop-up on a semi regular basis but with only limited (but vocal) support. It’s like the squeaky wheel.

Reactions: 8
Is that an Aston Martin? :oops:

Edit: Google says it is! Never seen a police car like that!

Reactions: 4
Oh, I see. I like that logic! I should sign up to join their force, then I'd get to drive a supercar for free! :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
They have to have supercars as police cars out there to catch the speeding supercar owners!
In the olden days, they just used to have a super car engine under the bonnet of a Ford Fiesta.
one of the lads at college was stunned to find his motor bike being overtaken by a Fiesta screeching past with no bits dropping off.

• Haha
Reactions: 9
They have to have supercars as police cars out there to catch the speeding supercar owners!
Except that Dubai and the rest of the UAE have speed limits. 110(Dubai) to 160 (Abu-Dhabi) km/h for a highway is pretty low (in comparison to my country where we have still have lots of highways with no speed limit whatsoever). Speeding is also pretty expensive.
I guess there are enough insanely rich people that just don’t care, but in general their police doesn’t actually need those cars. The cities also have very busy roads, so you mostly cannot drive like this even if you wanted to. And no one cares if you hit the gas on some lonely desert road (not that many people would drive their expensive super car on a less than perfect road).

Reactions: 1
I recently saw a clip on YouTube - Prince Harry was at the Royal Variety and got roasted. He laughed and seemed amused:

To me it seems authentic?

A couple of years later, with Meghan, he comes across as more reserved:
Sorry for the late reaction, thanks for the videos… oh wow, these videos made me nostalgic, I really liked both H&M of them at that time (I wouldn’t say he seems reserved, maybe a bit compared to the first video, but overall it seems ok).

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Big feature in todays Mail regarding Charles' coronation plans..

They've really been pushing Charles and all things related to his ascension recently. I almost feel sorry for the Queen, in that you could almost forget it's HER time to celebrate, although I'm sure all this is being done with her approval.

I have to wonder, and I apologise if my speculatuon is crude, but it feels like they are very aware that the Queen's time is limited and this is her way of preparing the people and explicity approving what is to come.

• Sad
Reactions: 9
I have to wonder, and I apologise if my speculatuon is crude, but it feels like they are very aware that the Queen's time is limited and this is her way of preparing the people and explicity approving what is to come.
Oh, there's no doubt that's right. She could go at any time.

They've really been pushing Charles and all things related to his ascension recently. I almost feel sorry for the Queen, in that you could almost forget it's HER time to celebrate, although I'm sure all this is being done with her approval.

I think that it's very much focused on her legacy and handing it on to the future. I expect Charles and William to be very much to the fore as her heritage.

Reactions: 3
There’s a few whispers that The Queen has covid. What do we think? The Palace is refusing to comment.

• Sad
  • Wow
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.