The Royal Family #11

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A pure figurehead HoS is not necessarily cheaper compared to a head of government HoS. It can be the case. A elected HoS will be out of job at one point. In many cases they receive money for security and often a small office and some staff for the rest of their life. Not to forget an amazing pension for a couple of years work. So changing them every 5-10 years still works up a pretty high numbers of people you have to pay for. It’s just a little not so well known fact. Again not true everywhere, but in the end a monarchy is not more expensive than an elected HoS in general. There are good arguments for both models, but money just doesn’t cut it.
I have yet to see the country where money was freed up for worthwhile causes or saved in the individual purse after a monarchy was abolished.
It can cost more but very likely will not. My own country is an example of that.

The real savings with getting rid of the monarchy would be the crown estate and all resultant revenue reverting to the state.

Also, re: another post higher up, what does knowing the names of another's country president have to do with how well they are governed? Surely, 'brand recognition' is the least significant concern when one thinks of a fair, just, dedicated and efficient leader?

Reactions: 5
Is a retweet the same as a like?
It’s very complicated and seems fraught with hidden meaning, a bit like the Victorian language of fans.
makes me glad I avoid it.

It seems that it’s been decided silence is the way forward. Charles has been the only one to actively comment and if, as seems likely, it’s all been sorted out in the background some years ago, then there isn’t anything to say, anyway.

Reactions: 3
It can cost more but very likely will not. My own country is an example of that.

The real savings with getting rid of the monarchy would be the crown estate and all resultant revenue reverting to the state.

Also, re: another post higher up, what does knowing the names of another's country president have to do with how well they are governed? Surely, 'brand recognition' is the least significant concern when one thinks of a fair, just, dedicated and efficient leader?
The surplus profits made by the Crown Estate already go to the Treasury.

Presidents come in 2 forms. Either powerless ceremonial Presidents like Germany, Ireland and India's who have zero actual power anyway like the Queen does not. The PM or Chancellor and Parliament run the country and make policies and laws. In which case pointless replacing a global brand for someone barely even known in their own country who has no impact on governance no matter how fair or just they are.

Or you have a grand imperial President like France, Russia or the USA who has huge power but is elected by the public and party political and as the USA shows half the country always hate because they are of the opposing party. Also worse than now, as the Queen has a nearly 90% approval rating and unites the nation, whereas a Tory or Labour President would never get much higher consistently than 50%

Reactions: 4
Is a retweet the same as a like?
It’s very complicated and seems fraught with hidden meaning, a bit like the Victorian language of fans.
makes me glad I avoid it.

It seems that it’s been decided silence is the way forward. Charles has been the only one to actively comment and if, as seems likely, it’s all been sorted out in the background some years ago, then there isn’t anything to say, anyway.
I do think it’s odd that there has been nothing original from the Cambridges (and the Sussexes as well) for the Queen’s Accession day. It’s such a big occasion, she’s the only British monarch to reach this milestone so for them to say nothing or just do a retweet seems a bit odd, especially when they do new posts for other occasions not as historic (like birthdays, etc).

However name the Presidents of any of those countries? The Queen has global brand recognition. The richest country in the world per head is Monaco which has a constitutional monarch too
I can name some of the Presidents because I follow politics. Similarly I can name monarchs because I’m interested in royalty and history. If you ask the average Joe in the street to name the Prince of Monaco or the King or Norway I doubt they would know. Same with Presidents etc. The only ones who have global recognition are The Queen and the American President I would argue. The others are just noise unless you pay attention to them.
Global recognition can last for a long time after you’ve died and a long time after the monarchy has gone. Lots of people know of Marie Antoinette. But I doubt many people visit Versailles and lament at the lack of Royalty.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I do think it’s odd that there has been nothing original from the Cambridges (and the Sussexes as well) for the Queen’s Platnium Jubilee. It’s such a big occasion, she’s the only British monarch to reach this milestone so for them to say nothing or just do a retweet seems a bit odd, especially when they do new posts for other occasions not as historic (like birthdays, etc).
I suppose the celebration for the jubilee is in June. It must be odd to celebrate your accession day when that is essentially the day your father died.

Reactions: 15
I suppose the celebration for the jubilee is in June. It must be odd to celebrate your accession day when that is essentially the day your father died.
That’s true! They will probably do a lot in June when her jubilee arrives.

Camilla has more than earned her stripes. She must really love Charles to put up the abuse she has had to endure all these years. Meghan moans about being vilified, she has no idea.
I disagree. Social media, comments online, and so on and so forth, mean there is actually way more vitriol, volume-wise, for Meghan.
Plus in fairness Camilla didn’t behave wonderfully. Love of your life or not, he was married. I’m not one of those “Diana was perfect” types and it was obviously a doomed marriage from the start, but Camilla wasn’t innocent.
I have no issues with her now though. She is probably one of the few Royals who do something at this stage, and in a weird way I’m happy they were allowed to end up together.

Reactions: 7
I disagree. Social media, comments online, and so on and so forth, mean there is actually way more vitriol, volume-wise, for Meghan.
Plus in fairness Camilla didn’t behave wonderfully. Love of your life or not, he was married. I’m not one of those “Diana was perfect” types and it was obviously a doomed marriage from the start, but Camilla wasn’t innocent.
I have no issues with her now though. She is probably one of the few Royals who do something at this stage, and in a weird way I’m happy they were allowed to end up together.
I've never suggested Camilla was innocent.

People would literally spit if you mentioned Camilla's name and Charles had to fund private security for her. She was getting battered everyhwere in the media. It was very much Camilla the husband stealing witch and Diana the angel. Just because there is social media now doesn't make it worse. You can actually turn social media off.

Reactions: 14

People would literally spit if you mentioned Camilla's name and Charles had to fund private security for her. She was getting battered everyhwere in the media. It was very much Camilla the husband stealing witch and Diana the angel. Just because there is social media now doesn't make it worse. You can actually turn social media off.
Exactly. Unless the royal women pore over social media, which I very much doubt they do, how would they ever know about the trolling? They must have staff who read it, but I'd be "I don't need to hear any of this, thank you". Meghan and Harry made a big thing of abandoning their accounts. I'm a sensitive soul, if I was famous, there's no way I'd be on social media. I could not cope with the comments.

Mainstream media is a different matter - there's no escaping it really. The media have always been vile, especially to women who have married into the royal family. I imagine most of us have rather negative opinions of Fergie, but never forget that she was called "The Duchess of Pork" by the tabloid press on a regular basis. Or the newspaper that carried out a survey which came to the conclusion that 82% of men would rather have sex with a goat than with Fergie. How dehumanising to have a national publication say something like that about someone?

Reactions: 16
Exactly. Unless the royal women pore over social media, which I very much doubt they do, how would they ever know about the trolling? They must have staff who read it, but I'd be "I don't need to hear any of this, thank you". Meghan and Harry made a big thing of abandoning their accounts. I'm a sensitive soul, if I was famous, there's no way I'd be on social media. I could not cope with the comments.

Mainstream media is a different matter - there's no escaping it really. The media have always been vile, especially to women who have married into the royal family. I imagine most of us have rather negative opinions of Fergie, but never forget that she was called "The Duchess of Pork" by the tabloid press on a regular basis. Or the newspaper that carried out a survey which came to the conclusion that 82% of men would rather have sex with a goat than with Fergie. How dehumanising to have a national publication say something like that about someone?
Duchess of Pork was horrific.

Most A list celebrities never go near social media or read it themselves. If they have an account most of the time it is run by management. Plenty of actors will tell you that they never read reviews. To keep sane you need to have a filter. I'm sure management only tell them the good stuff or sanitised versions of what's going on.

Reactions: 6
She wasn’t innocent in so far that she cheated in her own marriage. But she had no obligation whatsoever regarding Diana. And I see no one being sorry for Andrew Parker Bowles. The only people at fault in the Wales marriage were Charles and Diana. It was his decision to keep Camilla close while being married to another.

And yes, you most definitely can ignore SM much easier than a headline plastered somewhere or people actually having a go at you, calling you names in the street. I don’t doubt SM has given people more outlets to express their views, so we get more a higher quantity but that doesn’t say anything about impact. Camilla paid a bigger price in terms of experiencing personal vitriol than H&M ever will because criticism of them plays out in the online world and not when they go and buy bread.

Reactions: 6

Wasn‘t there a front page pic of Camilla with a horse superimposed over her face?
At one point I think she was one of the most hated women in the country.
When they first went public with their relationship I thought Camilla should never be Queen but she’s kept her head down, ignored the haters and just got on with the job. Imho she has earned her place as Queen Consort.

Reactions: 19
Specific Question thread; 😬

Reactions: 1
I do think it’s odd that there has been nothing original from the Cambridges (and the Sussexes as well) for the Queen’s Accession day. It’s such a big occasion, she’s the only British monarch to reach this milestone so for them to say nothing or just do a retweet seems a bit odd, especially when they do new posts for other occasions not as historic (like birthdays, etc).
My theory is that this was purposeful. Only the Royal Family accounts and Clarence House accounts made posts - focusing on the immediate succession plan and the Queen herself. With the thought that there will be plenty of time for W&K and their social media accounts to celebrate The Queen and her Jubilee over the year.

I was thinking the same. Yesterday I saw the Pathe footage of her getting off the plane in her mourning black - it must've been so strange and sad and scary all at once.

Reactions: 1
I think HMQs accession day is always bittersweet, hence why they've never celebrated her jubilees in February. Its OK that the family are quiet at this time. Wait til June and it'll blow up.

I can't wait, I love history and am so excited that I am part of a generation that will witness it.

I actually hope that the sussexes come back and heal some of those rifts. I am probably just being an optimist, but it would be nice for the queen in her dotage to think everyone in her family are friends.

I think what Harry and Meghan have done is sh!t, TBF, but if them coming back gives rhe queen peace, im all for it.

I think HMQs accession day is always bittersweet, hence why they've never celebrated her jubilees in February. Its OK that the family are quiet at this time. Wait til June and it'll blow up.

I can't wait, I love history and am so excited that I am part of a generation that will witness it.

I actually hope that the sussexes come back and heal some of those rifts. I am probably just being an optimist, but it would be nice for the queen in her dotage to think everyone in her family are friends.

I think what Harry and Meghan have done is sh!t, TBF, but if them coming back gives rhe queen peace, im all for it.
I very much doubt that Her Majesty will still be alive in June - the question will be if #6 and the wife come back for the funeral. #6 will have to - I think that Charles and William will tell the wife she is not welcome (I think this is the reason that she wasn't at Prince Philip's funeral)

• Wow
I very much doubt that Her Majesty will still be alive in June - the question will be if #6 and the wife come back for the funeral. #6 will have to - I think that Charles and William will tell the wife she is not welcome (I think this is the reason that she wasn't at Prince Philip's funeral)
Why wouldn't she be alive? She seems fine

Reactions: 7
She didn’t come back because it was the middle of a pandemic and she was 7 months pregnant. Meghan has done enough questionable stuff that things don’t need to be made up. After the controversy over racism within the family I don’t think Charles or William would be stupid enough to not invite her even if they don’t like her, nor would it be fair to expect Harry to attend without the support of his wife.

Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.