Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

GossWhore

VIP Member
I just don’t agree with it, I find it hypocritical. I wouldn’t take a day off for a religious festival I’m not a member of the community of. I am religious and do celebrate my own religious festivals, but wouldn’t dare do it for Eid for example as I’m not Muslim.
This doesn't correlate boo

Anyways my friend is doing in the evening a little get together for Grenfell as 2 people she knows passed away. So I'll be attending that on this bank holiday I didn't get to pick to be part of or not.

• Heart
Reactions: 3

Catfan2

Chatty Member
I agree with you here.
But, at the same time, there's people in this country that can't afford housing, food, heating, etc.

Spending many.many.millions to celebrate someone worth many many many millions seems a bit... Tactless? In bad taste?

I don't know, just a bit.. off.
She'll be parading about in a carriage of gold whilst kids less than 5 miles away don't know if they'll be eating that night.
Dunno, seems, I dunno... You know..

🤔
I do get you - but whatever money is spent on the Jubilee wouldn’t filter down to those in need unfortunately. There are always going to be the ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ and I’m under no illusion that even if we didn’t have a Royal Family, the money saved would not go to those who needed it most. The government (whoever is in power, not taking sides) would siphon it off somehow, you can be sure of that. I’m sure I’ve read on numerous occasions that the tourism that the Royal Family generates more than offsets the cost of having them.

Welshgal

VIP Member
I live in Germany so no celebrations. But I will tune in to BBC occasionally and will certainly have a glass of bubbly in honor of the Queen.
70 years is just insane and definitely deserves something special imo.

Rosie glow

VIP Member
I'm a bit peeved that people won't be able to get a GP appointment until at least Monday. With people struggling to get appointments as it is, this week is a 3 day week and GP practices will be shut.
We can't get a gp appointment as it is nothing to do with the jubilee if you do manage to get one it's still only a phone appointment.

I’m working as normal Thursday and Friday and not doing anything different to my normal plans. Bank holidays are just added as part of my holiday allowance and would rather have the days when I need them.

I have nothing particularly against the queen or royals in general but I find the idea of a street party and the parades all a bit cringe too. I live near Glasgow and don’t know anyone doing anything jubilee related at all

SwizzleMalarkey

VIP Member
It will be a job updating the all post boxes . Mind , there are still Victoria post boxes as we went to see one when we were at school.. I don't recall ever seeing a George or Edward post box.
All of the post boxes near me (South London/Surrey) are George - I can’t remember the last time I saw one with ER on it. They don’t change the existing ones, it’s only new ones that will be for Charles when the time comes.

NomDeGuerre

VIP Member
My plans? Well, I've been to the pub and have upped my pledge to Republic. May this be our last Jubilee.

• Heart

Phoenix Lazarus

VIP Member
The fact that when the Queen dies Charles’ face will be all over money, stamps, passports, police and military uniforms instead of her’s is quite sad.
They won't all change at once. Money etc with Charles' image will come into circulation alongside that of the Queen. It wouldn't be practical to scrap all the former reign's stuff at once. By the end of pre-decimal currency, there were coins with pictures of different monarch's going back to Victoria.

Emmelina Ball

VIP Member
On the subject of post boxes did anyone see these images shared on Twitter recently? Thought it was really cool.
338EA815-A7F9-41C7-90AB-F487520965B2.jpeg
4437F7D6-35D9-4A6B-9661-7061716E92BB.jpeg
BDD16449-A39D-4F53-9721-D6F57BE5E669.jpeg

• Wow

Emmelina Ball

VIP Member
The fact that when the Queen dies Charles’ face will be all over money, stamps, passports, police and military uniforms instead of her’s is quite sad. As well as post boxes changing and singing god save the king instead of god save the queen. I’m not a fan of the royals but her dying is going to change everything. It’ll also cost the UK economy billions. I don’t know when the next time we will actually see a genuine (biological) queen on the throne will be, I guess if George has a daughter. Which a lot of people might not be alive to see
It will be so strange won’t it, I’d of liked to see Charles hand the throne to William instead when the time comes for him but I don’t think that would happen

Em_

VIP Member
I'm not a Royalist, my close is having a party for it and the organiser has asked dictated that no cars be driven in the close that afternoon. I shall be making the most of the bank holiday weekend by going out and hoping most places are relatively quiet to people having street parties.

Reactions: 2

chapterthree

Earnest question, why? What's wrong with not celebrating but taking the day off? It's the same as atheists celebrating Christmas and Easter surely?
I just don’t agree with it, I find it hypocritical. I wouldn’t take a day off for a religious festival I’m not a member of the community of. I am religious and do celebrate my own religious festivals, but wouldn’t dare do it for Eid for example as I’m not Muslim.

• Haha

StrawberryCream

VIP Member
My SIL is having a jubilee barbecue/party tomorrow, shes organised a bouncy castle and is providing all of the food and alcohol, so we’ll be going to that. I don’t think they actually care about the Royals though, it’s just an excuse for a get together.

Ceelea

Chatty Member
I watched the celebrations on TV and raised a glass in respect for a life given in service of her country and Commonwealth.

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
There may not be celebrations in the two most ardent areas of pishy mcfish flaps (Queen nicola of Scotland and hater of England) 😄 snp lands i. e Edinbra and Glesgae but as we know the queen has a residence in Balmoral Aberdeenshire and she is held in very high regard in that area and my Scottish relatives tell me there are many local celebrations taking place 🇬🇧