Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Yel

Chatty Member
The 1 billion thing was all fake news, as ever it spreads on social media because made up figures are always more enticing. Something like this is likley to generate tourism with all the free promo that comes with it, unlike hosting other events which are often a huge net loss.

That said I hate bank holidays as I'm freelance and a few days off messes up things for a few weeks.

I hope someone on my street has made the trifle 🤞. When the queen goes I look forward to it all being modernised.

Reactions: 2

Kim Mild

VIP Member
They won't all change at once. Money etc with Charles' image will come into circulation alongside that of the Queen. It wouldn't be practical to scrap all the former reign's stuff at once. By the end of pre-decimal currency, there were coins with pictures of different monarch's going back to Victoria.
It will be a job updating the all post boxes . Mind , there are still Victoria post boxes as we went to see one when we were at school.. I don't recall ever seeing a George or Edward post box.

Glaschelle

VIP Member
I'm in Scotland and work with older people. We're having a celebration on Friday but it's been hard going trying to get decorations, paper plates, etc. There is nothing in the shops here.

You wouldn't know it was happening if it wasn’t for the displays in the supermarkets advertising party food.

Think edinburgh has organised big screens, but Glasgow has nothing. And personally, I think we like it that way.

Like a lot of folk, the Queen is reasonably respected. But when she goes, I think there will be a discussion about how to go forward.

Tatooine_legend1

VIP Member
I like the floral displays in London for the Jubilee. It's mostly the Chelsea floral show, but added in with Jubilee bits. Looks great.

• Heart

Kim Mild

VIP Member
The Queen has been such a consistency for the last 70 years. I think the 1950s seem to be a different world , but she was queen then too. The thought of someone else being on the throne seems so alien to me.

no-no

VIP Member
Naff all anything 🇬🇧-oriented. The only bunting around here is for the champions league match 🙌🏻

• Heart

jackolantern

VIP Member
Regardless of what I feel about the royals, I do feel sad for the Queen. She must be feeling pretty terrible to miss an event that is so important to her. I know she’s a hell of an age and has had a great run, but it must be so gut wrenching for her, her whole life for this moment and she has to watch it on TV.

Tangent Tiger

VIP Member
The fact that when the Queen dies Charles’ face will be all over money, stamps, passports, police and military uniforms instead of her’s is quite sad. As well as post boxes changing and singing god save the king instead of god save the queen. I’m not a fan of the royals but her dying is going to change everything. It’ll also cost the UK economy billions. I don’t know when the next time we will actually see a genuine (biological) queen on the throne will be, I guess if George has a daughter. Which a lot of people might not be alive to see

I saw the queen’s mother lived for 101 years though, so hopefully she still has a few more years left. Her Christmas speeches no longer being televised every year will be so strange
I KNOW, it's like any Charles' stamp or whatever would appear counterfeit! You'd get a bit confused

• Haha

Tangerine Dream

I'll watch some of the coverage on TV but I'm not into attending street parties or things like that. I have a lot of respect for HM, although that has been tainted in recent years thanks to Harry and Meghan and the molly coddling of them but I wouldn't call myself royalist. I'm not republican either. Just...not particularly fussed? I do acknowledge it's a special historical moment, though, which is why I'll watch at least some of it.

Otherwise? I'm spending the majority of the weekend binging Stranger Things 4. Two episodes down, five to go!

Lalla

VIP Member
Last jubilee in 2012 one of my friends organised a massive party we all went to.

I'm probably not doing anything this weekend, eldest child is away, youngest isn't interested. If I was still with my partner we'd probably have done a barbeque but since I'm now on my own, will just be sitting at home. Maybe I'll make a mini afternoon tea for myself :) I'd like to do something more but no one I know is celebrating it locally.

I would really like some bunting but have been in about 20 shops and none seem to have any (I remember it being everywhere in 2012 but I guess that was also due to the run up to the Olympics etc

Dollenganger

VIP Member
I’m a Republican. But I don’t have anything against the Queen. Actually, as much as I think that there is no place for a monarchy in the UK, the sight of the Queen on the balcony looking so teeny tiny did make me rather sad. I think it’s going to affect the UK quite negatively if / when she passes away.

Surely Charles won’t be nearly as popular as his mother? Her children have certainly let her down. And I don’t like William - pompous prig 🙄.

One thing that strikes me is that the RF is far less popular today than they were at the Golden jubilee.

Trivia - apparently the Queen’s favourite grandchild is Lady Louise, Prince Edward & Sophie’s daughter.
Because of her kind nature and passion for horses.

Reactions: 1

chapterthree

This doesn't correlate boo

Anyways my friend is doing in the evening a little get together for Grenfell as 2 people she knows passed away. So I'll be attending that on this bank holiday I didn't get to pick to be part of or not.
Please don’t “boo” me. Explain how it doesn’t correlate? Why would you celebrate something you don’t believe in. It is hypocritical.

Interesting opinion, though not one I agree with.

Using the Royal Family as a way to get a day off seems perfectly legitimate to me, given that we pay for them. It might even be more legitimate than atheists not working on Xmas Day.

I would go further and have a specific King/Queen's Day bank holiday each year, as they do in the Netherlands.
Even though we do not agree with each other, I appreciate you being respectful, unlike other members here.

bunnyboo

VIP Member
The brits are it again (Jubilee edition), this time it's a BBC presenter and someone from the British Army explaining why “micks” isn’t an offensive term for Irish people. Seriously lads.. I could do without the tansplaining lmao.

• Wow

Yel

Chatty Member
I would have planned to eat one of these tomorrow, but they've all been snaffled 😿
580472011_0_640x640.jpg

• Heart

Sibz

VIP Member
We are putting some bunting out for jubilee, I watched the Unseen Queen clips on bbc tonight, they were really nice, made her seem like a normal person who happened to become Queen than "The Queen"

Kim Mild

VIP Member
I remember the silver jubilee and getting a special coin at school . .
I also remember my daughters getting a beautiful bone China cup from school ( must have been the golden jubilee?)
Did schools give a anything for the platinum jubilee or do funds no longer stretch to that?
Yes, the local council provided mugs for school children. Mt oldest is in 6th form and didn't get one this time so it must just be for the younger ones, but they got a mug 10 years ago for the Diamond Jubilee.