Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

HelloStereo

VIP Member
Looking forward to some time off but nothing planned. I don't care about the royals and I'd rather not have them to be honest. Like other people said, having lavish celebrations when a lot of people in the country are struggling is distasteful imo.

Reactions: 10

Podcat

I'm no royalist but I love an occasion, and this is one we'll never see again. I'll be hanging out with family, eating nice food and watching the thing on the telly.

Yes, everything is shit and the idea of a monarchy is gross at the best of times, but sometimes it's nice to have a day off thinking about it all and just wave a flag.

Reactions: 9

Chickenandgravy

VIP Member
Couldn't give a flying fuck, bails her son out with tax payers money.

Anyway nothing happening up in Scotland for it, it seems!

LaBlonde

VIP Member
We are always told they bring in more than they cost. That is pure BS. We have a tourist trade that would still be as busy royals or no royals same as France and all the other countries that have good history but no royals.
yep! ultimately their current existence doesn’t really mean much to tourists - people like to visit famous palaces and castles, all of which will still exist without a serving royal family. like you say, france doesn’t have a royal family but probably makes an insane amount of revenue from people visiting versailles. just let the national trust take them over and people will still happily go 🤷🏼‍♀️

Emmelina Ball

VIP Member
Our street are having a party with lots of entertainment on for the kids. We’re gonna have a family bbq and get the jubilee nice bits from Marks & Spencer 🥰 it’s been a shit 2 years with many celebrations cancelled so any excuse to celebrate can count me in! Not a mad royalist but I remember celebrating the golden jubilee years ago and having street parties so I’d like my kids to have similar fond memories!

• Heart

RR20

Someone on my parent's street is having a garden party for the jubilee and has invited the whole street however its a really quiet area and people keep themselves to themselves. The lady didn't even know my parents names to add to the invite so that was abit awkward. It's not something I would spend any money on given the current cost of living crisis if anything it would be nice for the Queen and Royal Family to do something to show support for struggling people as they have alot more money than the rest of us.

• Heart

kbjhguih

VIP Member
I’m working my min wage job on the jubilee weekend and bank holiday, I couldn’t even force myself to care about it if I wanted to. 😭

• Heart
  • Sad

a.pain

VIP Member
Lets hope not, the Queen being the last monarch wouldn't be a bad thing. Dated and done. All this crap about devoting her life, lets not pretend she hasn't been paid handsomely for it, or didn't have a choice. I'm sure she's a nice lady (or is she, do we really know?), but I could not give less of a flying fuck. Sure I understand from her perspective why she is celebrating, but the amount of money is grotesque. Read the room.
Agreed. Yes she’s spent her life going to events and making appearances but If I were the queen id try to make a bit more of a difference for the people in my country. And if someone comes back and tells me she has no say or influence then what exactly is the point of her? It’s the younger royals who do all the charity work etc.

I will be enjoying a drink on Wednesday evening knowing I don’t have work at 8am on Thursday but that’s the extent of it.

Also agree- £1bn spent on the weekend, that’s bloody outrageous.
Yet when Marcus Rashford asked for that £1 billion to feed starving kids through the holidays- ‘nope- it’s time that parents took responsibility for feeding their kids!’

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 8

LittleMy

VIP Member
If money wasn't spent on the Royal Family and the Jubilee, then it's very unlikely that the same sum of money would be spent to make things better for the general public. Us little people would not see any benefit .
And that’s what’s wrong about it all.

I find the whole thing crass.

Warpaint

VIP Member
I'll be working the weekend so would have had Thursday/Friday off anyway. It will be more annoying that I can't get stuff done those days because everywhere is in Bank Holiday mode. The celebrations or whatever mean nothing to me. I wish the media would stop pretending what the Royals all do is actual work.

TartyMcFarty

I'm just pondering the queen's range of coats for all occasions. I teach a child who doesn't have a coat, and another whose uniform is always filthy.

• Sad
  • Heart

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
I like QE2, she's a formidable, intelligent lady, born into something she knew nothing of. We can't predict what we are destined for.
She's never let herself down, I respect her to be honest.

Reactions: 7

monga

VIP Member
Am the same, but tbh what's been going on in that family, I really don't give a flying fuck, just nice to have a couple of days off!!
I find it odd some people think we're hypocritical for something that's completely out of our hands 😂

• Heart

Pipsy

VIP Member
No interest in the queen or the royal family generally, no one in my area does. It's just an excuse to put on a great party. I thought that was true for most people in the UK? I'm surprised by the seriousness and grumpiness of some of these replies. 😄

Loveitme

VIP Member
I respect the queen but after she’s gone we need to do away with the monarchy .Times change and I think it’s time we spent money elsewhere given theme state of the country atm. i simply don’t care how much tourism or money they bring into the country either I’m more interested in providing adequate housing for the general public and feeding children via resources that could be available to us if we get rid of the royals

I remember the silver jubilee and getting a special coin at school . .
I also remember my daughters getting a beautiful bone China cup from school ( must have been the golden jubilee?)
Did schools give a anything for the platinum jubilee or do funds no longer stretch to that?
My daughter got a book.It’s quite sweet

• Heart