Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

ElektraWintour

VIP Member
I’m at my friends wedding on Thursday and Friday my husband is working on the jubilee event in town so think he wants me to come meet him for lunch so I’ll see a bit of it, otherwise I don’t really care.

monga

VIP Member
The brits are it again (Jubilee edition), this time it's a BBC presenter and someone from the British Army explaining why “micks” isn’t an offensive term for Irish people. Seriously lads.. I could do without the tansplaining lmao.

View attachment 1314060
People are too sensitive, it's a term of endearment within the ranks ...so I'm told.

Last edited:

Kim Mild

VIP Member
I expect so, it will be so strange as she is the only monarch I can remember and I am in my 60's, my MOther saw 3 monarchs in her lifetime.
When Elizabeth became Queen in 1952, that made her the 6th monarch in just over 51 years .

Lalla

VIP Member
I remember the silver jubilee and getting a special coin at school . .
I also remember my daughters getting a beautiful bone China cup from school ( must have been the golden jubilee?)
Did schools give a anything for the platinum jubilee or do funds no longer stretch to that?
Same here. I still have my jubilee coin, and one from the Royal Wedding. My son got the China cup, and a coin as well in 2012.
Glad to hear schools are still doing something for it.

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
Last jubilee in 2012 one of my friends organised a massive party we all went to.

I'm probably not doing anything this weekend, eldest child is away, youngest isn't interested. If I was still with my partner we'd probably have done a barbeque but since I'm now on my own, will just be sitting at home. Maybe I'll make a mini afternoon tea for myself :) I'd like to do something more but no one I know is celebrating it locally.

I would really like some bunting but have been in about 20 shops and none seem to have any (I remember it being everywhere in 2012 but I guess that was also due to the run up to the Olympics etc
Tesco stock it, unless you mean its all been bought........

Kezza_69

VIP Member
We can't get a gp appointment as it is nothing to do with the jubilee if you do manage to get one it's still only a phone appointment.
Think it depends massively practice to practice tbh, our GP triages over the phone from your original email request and if deemed necessary, you are seen face to face.
Ive been seen numerous times over and since covid AND had a few procedures done in hospital. . Cant fault them all 🤷‍♀️

Whatamadworld

Chatty Member
Most of the pomp doesn't happen until the weekend doesn't it? That's when the queen will be visible for the parades etc I thought.

Whatamadworld

Chatty Member
Oh yeah, GP appointments can be got over the phone, but the practices will be closed over thurs and fri. 111 is ok, but it's not your GP. I have found 111 hit and miss.

The call handlers just reel off the same questions for everyone, and then they decide if you can speak or see a doctor.

Rosie glow

VIP Member
Prince Andrew has Covid, unless that's just an excuse.

I think after the backlash of public response to Andrew taking centre stage with the queen for the dukes memorial people were not happy that they think it's for the best to keep Andrew out of sight, it's her majesty's day and nothing should take away from that. Let's hope Harry and meghan keep quiet too.

emm

VIP Member
The fact that when the Queen dies Charles’ face will be all over money, stamps, passports, police and military uniforms instead of her’s is quite sad. As well as post boxes changing and singing god save the king instead of god save the queen. I’m not a fan of the royals but her dying is going to change everything. It’ll also cost the UK economy billions. I don’t know when the next time we will actually see a genuine (biological) queen on the throne will be, I guess if George has a daughter. Which a lot of people might not be alive to see

I saw the queen’s mother lived for 101 years though, so hopefully she still has a few more years left. Her Christmas speeches no longer being televised every year will be so strange

I wish Anne was next in line tbh. Whenever I see Charles and Cam all I can think of is poor Diana saying there was 3 in their marriage so it was quite crowded 😥
What will they do about money, will it just be gradually phased out?

monga

VIP Member
Too right people are too sensitive. I mean just look at how defensive some British people can get when the misdeeds of the British empire are mentioned lol. Seems like a touchy subject, no?

Also the whole 'term of endearment' thing just doesn't stand-up. The logic of “We’ve been calling them that for so long, that any racial connotations have wore off” in general that the BBC commentators used seems like something out of a comedy skit tbh.
No , apparently it's bias against the British to say anything bad ,if their friends don't have a problem with them saying it why should the rest of us take it upon ourselves to see something that's not there and an excuse to complain.

Tangent Tiger

VIP Member
Have I got this right: we won't get post today or tomorrow but it'll be normal on Saturday?

I am waiting on a medical letter was was up thinking about it