The Frugality/Alexandra Stedman #8 her trainers work harder than she does

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Must be a month this time but of course we’ll only be told two weeks
Mummmy and Daddy paying again? She’s spent about £200 on swimwear so far

Reactions: 3
Anyone else wish she would stop with the “this is what my body looks like while I’m walking” videos 🙄

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I have to say, I do get where she is coming from with the word "flattering" and commenting on her/peoples' bodies.

But... I do feel conflicted. It's like she doesn't think anyone can comment on the appearance of clothes at all, yet that is literally a massive part of her "job". Think back to when she was a stylist, it was about making peoples' bodies look good with clothes. Now, she "styles" clothes to sell them or similar outfits to her followers but it feels like she doesn't want anyone to have an opinion on how they look.

Again, I don't agree with saying things that are likely to upset somebody about their appearance, and I generally try not to here, and never would in real life or on insta. But it kind of is her job to make clothes look "good" to others, to give ideas, to influence.

Don't know if I've explained myself well.

Reactions: 17
I have to say, I do get where she is coming from with the word "flattering" and commenting on her/peoples' bodies.

But... I do feel conflicted. It's like she doesn't think anyone can comment on the appearance of clothes at all, yet that is literally a massive part of her "job". Think back to when she was a stylist, it was about making peoples' bodies look good with clothes. Now, she "styles" clothes to sell them or similar outfits to her followers but it feels like she doesn't want anyone to have an opinion on how they look.

Again, I don't agree with saying things that are likely to upset somebody about their appearance, and I generally try not to here, and never would in real life or on insta. But it kind of is her job to make clothes look "good" to others, to give ideas, to influence.

Agree, it’s like biting the hand that feeds you. She looks objectively better in some outfits than others. That’s what fashion does to bodies and why outfits are cut the way they are, to flatter your body and draw the eye to your best features. It’s bullshit to say people don’t dress to look (and therefore feel) their best

Reactions: 14

Agree. And also her existence as an influencer is entirely reliant on women feeling tit about how they look and trying to plug that gap by endlessly buying stuff that she’s paid to promote. She can’t complain about low self system whilst simultaneously being a huge part of the problem.

• Heart
Reactions: 20
She’s so contrary, shes a “fashion” influencer who doesn’t want what she wears to be about how she looks 🤯? Surely when we put clothes on each morning it’s about how we look and how we feel, and dressing to feel good? No?

Reactions: 11
Alex hasn’t tanned since having kids. If you have tanned since having kids, you’re not standing in front of your wardrobes enough.

• Haha
Reactions: 1
By her own admission she knows different people find different things flattering which means that they are using the word as it should be - to mean ‘imo this looks good on you’. Which as an influencer you need to not only expect but welcome surely (unless you have dire taste / styling skills in which case the word unflattering will naturally pop up…). So I think Alex is projecting her own issues with her size again.

It’s a bit rich considering it’s women’s magazines who codified unflattering/flattering as euphemistic references to weight/body size. Granted Alex was a small cog in the machine but she still happily took part when she herself was in a v small body adhering to those beauty standards her magazine was upholding (while simultaneously gaslighting us with ‘love the body you’re in!’).

Reactions: 6
Alex hasn’t tanned since having kids. If you have tanned since having kids, you’re not standing in front of your wardrobes enough.
What?? She’s always posting about lounging about in her garden and it’s not like she’s short on time, what with having no proper job and kids in full-time childcare.

Reactions: 4
Her latest post is so tone deaf. She really does believe she’s got it tough doesn’t she? I’m sure it is “incrementally easier” when you have no real job and childcare on hand so you can go away on solo or couples breaks!
IMG_9915.jpeg

• Sick
Reactions: 9
She’s a nut job. People like her drive me mad. She’s had choices, she chose the life shes living. She clearly thought being an influencer/blogger would enhance her life but actually she’d have even better being an employee when it came to pregnancy, she’d have been paid when off work on maternity rather than feeling pressured in to working and earning. They all think being self employed is a must but it has huge drawbacks when it comes to having a family and bills.

Also most working mothers do t get a shower in the middle of the day, that’s because they’re out working….she really doesn’t seem to comprehend the charmed life that she leads

Also most working mothers do t get a shower in the middle of the day, that’s because they’re out working….she really doesn’t seem to comprehend the charmed life that she leads
Absolutely. Get my clothes, kids uniforms, lunches etc ready the night before, shower and get dressed before your kids are even up in the morning, sprint to nursery and breakfast club to drop off, dash to work..... It's all completely normal for everyone I know.

Reactions: 5
Maybe one day she’ll realise that being a permanently contracted employee can be preferable. It must be a stressful existence trying to eke out your mediocre creative abilities, especially once you’ve roped in your unemployed husband and now your bills and mortgage depend on you coming up with a ‘hilarious’ and ‘relatable’ reel every couple of days. I don’t even think she’s scraping the barrel - I think this is as good as she gets at content creation.

Reactions: 8
What employment could she get now though? Magazines pretty much don’t exist anymore. I’m so glad I’m not in her position.

Reactions: 7
What employment could she get now though? Magazines pretty much don’t exist anymore. I’m so glad I’m not in her position.
Agreed. All of this lot should have pre empted this and moved into internal or agency side content/social/marketing roles years ago, the problem is they wouldn’t have been able to out earn what they were then but the game is up really and now they’ll have no choice but to start again from the bottom.

I used to looove a blogger in the early 2010s before it all got so grabby and sinister, she went into magazines and then social agencies and she’s now quite a senior creative at a v large company. At the time I thought she was mad but she’s played a blinder!

I used to looove a blogger in the early 2010s before it all got so grabby and sinister, she went into magazines and then social agencies and she’s now quite a senior creative at a v large company. At the time I thought she was mad but she’s played a blinder!
Gem? Yes, she did exactly the right things for longevity in her career. She has talent though, and I’m not convinced that Alex understands that’s what she lacks.

• Heart
Gem? Yes, she did exactly the right things for longevity in her career. She has talent though, and I’m not convinced that Alex understands that’s what she lacks.
Yes!! I used to love her blog! 🥰 She was always measured though - she didn’t post too much because she wasn’t buying #hauls like a lot of the other girls, she wasn’t a generational wealth girly (iirc?), wrote openly about things that all of us non wealthy girlies struggled with like part time jobs during uni, finding somewhere to rent, cost/time commuting, vintage shopping, jobs, saving up for xyz.

She’s done really well in life and over her lifetime will undoubtedly out earn those who spent a few years flogging then had to go back and start again, as well as having dignity in not monetising her life and children (if she has any - idk because of aforementioned dignity lol).

Reactions: 1
Usual caveat of “a break from what exactly?” but this is the first time in ages that I’ve liked her outfit.
IMG_9938.jpeg

---
But then she had to go and spoil things. I’m not opposed to leopard print but that gilet is hideous! It looks like a bed-jacket from the 50s. As for those glasses…
IMG_9932.png

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.