The DIS Unplugged #10 We’re Not Happy to be Here

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Guys it's been a while since I've been heavily involved in this thread (the DIS people bore the tit out of me anymore), but I had a question and thought you all would be able to give me some honest answers...

I met this lovely woman at Publix who was working at the Aprons counter and thought I HAVE to invite her over for Christmas. What do you all think?
Is her name Mary, by any chance?

• Haha
Reactions: 11
As one of these people who is still trying to wrap her head around her time there, I think there is a lot to support this view of yours.

I tried to post the link to a video I came across in a Narcissistic Abuse Survivor group on Facebook, but I guess Tattle doesn’t support that. Instead, I’ll just type the information here because while it is simplified to create hit and run content, it was still helpful in explaining how both the abused and the abuser feed the toxicity of trauma bonding and why.

Again, I’m not excusing any behavior or poor life choices. My stand remains that we need to take responsibility for the choices we made that enabled this monster, but I do appreciate the explanation of the how the players in this story can fit into more than one category at the same time. It’s a toxic, co-dependent relationship in which both sides feel they have to prop up its existence.

6 CHARACTERISTICS OF TRAUMA BONDING
1. Intermittent Reinforcement: The abuser may alternate between moments of kindness or affection and episodes of abuse or mistreatment. This inconsistency can create confusion and attachment to the abuser during moments of apparent affection.

2. Isolation: The abuser may isolate the victim from family and friends, making the abuser the primary source of emotional support and connection.

3. Survival Instinct: The victim may bond with the abuser as a survival mechanism. In some cases, this helps the victim cope with the abuse, as they believe maintaining the bond is necessary for their safety or well-being.

4. Guilt and Shame: Victims of trauma bonding often experience feelings of guilt and shame, which can further reinforce the connection to the abuser.

5. Dependency: Victims may become emotionally dependent on the abuser for validation and self-esteem, believing they are unworthy or incapable of finding better treatment elsewhere.

6. Fear of Abandonment: The victim may fear the consequences of leaving the abuser, such as retaliation or abandonment, which can discourage them from breaking the bond.

Don’t know if this helps shed some light for others, but I hope it does.
Having been raised by a narcissist (and just realizing it @ 45y/o) I can say that this summarizes the complicated dynamic very well. I imagine #3 played a big role for some. Those who have not been the victims of a narcissist, as part of a close relationship, cannot truly understand the intricacies of it. A lot of people on the outside are oblivious to it. Hell, the other members of my nuclear family don't see anything wrong with my parent's behaviour, and they have been witnesses to it just as long as I have, except they haven't been the recipient of the abuse.

I'm sure I'm rambling here. I've not said anything until this post of JL's because it hits close to home and I know what it's like to be gaslighted all the time. All to say that there may have been some secondary gain involved with some team members' not doing anything more proactive, but it's a lot more complicated than that, and they were all walking a thin line with Pete.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Master of Arts in Media and Journalism according to his website resume. There are pics of the graduation on his instagram

Reactions: 7
Master of Arts in Media and Journalism according to his website resume. There are pics of the graduation on his instagram
These degrees are pointless. For a lot of media jobs they want people who have qualifications in things like History, the sciences, English lit, psychology etc. My top tip is don't get one of these degrees! Nothing to set you apart from others.

Sorry Craig. I mean fair play if it gets you somewhere but my experience of working in media for 16 years tells me otherwise.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Fair play to Craig, studying with a young baby is hard. Hopefully this signals a way out of the DIS

Reactions: 11
Regardless of whether it’s needed in his field that’s a big accomplishment with a very busy job & a baby at home as well as a spouse that also works full time. I’m very happy for him. Hopefully he’s been doing this for the last few years in hopes to bounce to another job. Makes sense if he’s stuck around during all the turmoil.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Yeah for sure it's an achievement to do all that raising a baby, no doubt. I just think he should have studied something else!

Reactions: 3
If I recall correctly, he mentioned in the past about wanting to teach podcast/media production at Valencia or UCF. If his goal is to go teach, getting the masters is definitely appropriate.

Congrats to him!

Reactions: 20
Craig has such a bright future that he is being weighed down by this awful company and a beautiful family. Ryno has…nothing? He is qualified to definitely man a merchandise cart in universal Orlando.

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Craig has such a bright future that he is being weighed down by this awful company and a beautiful family. Ryno has…nothing? He is qualified to definitely man a merchandise cart in universal Orlando.
He has a burgeoning career as a writer! I hear he is working on something big!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Do we have any lawyers in the house? New filing in the Amex/Dreams/PW suit but not sure what it means. I redacted the attorney names.

I HEREBY CERTIFY that xxxx, Esq. in my firm, with full authority to resolve this matter, had a substantive conversation with opposing counsel xxxx, Esq. and xxxxx, Esq. on October 25, 2023, in a good faith effort to resolve this motion before the motion Defendant Peter Werner’s Motion to Dismiss/Arbitration was noticed for hearing and the parties did not agree.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.