The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
There are always going to be lots of strong opinions on a site like this - that's the whole point of it. We are also quite an international group so there are some different cultural and religious perspectives added into the mix. And then of course there's Stephanie who is a chapel owning atheist who was brought up in England with a French mother and an Irish father and seems to represent all three countries in some aspects of her personality. It all makes for a very lively debate!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Frankly I feel the opinion police seem to have moved in. The beauty of this site is that we should feel able to share perceptions and opinions and at times agree to disagree without labelling or judging each other....that’s where we have (should I say had?) the advantage over the over zealous folk in the vlog comments.....
However....undeterred and neither a misogynist, a grotesque or someone who is generally found very laughable....I will carry on giving my opinion.....love to you all xxx
I agree wholeheartedly - everyone has different opinions and perceptions of what we see/hear/feel. I also hope we can continue to share our opinions on here without getting shot down.

Like in real life, if you don’t agree with something - respectfully disagree and move on.

@Raspberrybrulee - you’ve put it so well 👏🏻

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The clothes/body shaming of Stephanie is grotesque. A woman is free to wear whatever she wants, whenever she wants, especially in her own home, without being fearful that men are objectifying her sexually (if they are that's on them, not her) and without other women casting judgement as to her motives and projecting their own insecurities (if other women perceive it as "too sexual" that's on them, not her).

The misogyny is palpable - however the fact that Stephanie has maintained good friendships with male friends, ex boyfriends, their partners and children for years and that they all very clearly feel happy and comfortable together at Lalande and on holidays together perfectly demonstrates that their position fortunately, is the polar opposite - they clearly don't view Stephanie has a man-eating, marriage wrecking, sex obsessed "threat" just because they see her in her pyjamas.

It's laughable to suggest that she shouldn't dress how she wants when there are "attached men" around - in case they do what? Lose control of themselves? If any man cannot control their sexual urges around women and the mere sight of a little bare flesh is enough to be unfaithful, or worse, then they have far, far far bigger problems than Stephanie's outfits.

Women are not responsible for men's actions.
Someone needs a nap

• Haha
Reactions: 10
Let’s get back to our favourite subject Cadeaux at the Chateau - the one thing we can all agree on, it’s a cringe fest 🙄

I’ve not watched it in ages yet I might take the plunge and just face straight into the cringe - who’s with me? 🤣

Let’s get back to our favourite subject Cadeaux at the Chateau - the one thing we can all agree on, it’s a cringe fest 🙄

I’ve not watched it in ages yet I might take the plunge and just face straight into the cringe - who’s with me? 🤣
Meeeeeee!!!!! I just love to hate it....

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
I love the Versailles analogy! Realistically, the fabric of the building should be on the Very Important List but I suppose it doesn't quite have the vloggable visual appeal of either the renaissance of the lake or the panelling.

The Winter Salon is now so crammed with "things" that it looks like an Alladins Cave obstacle course. The old adage "less is more" springs to mind.
Someone said on the vlog comments, that Stephanie was turning into a hoarder! I agree, and not even counting all the gifts she's getting every day. Those attics will end up looking like one of those charity shops real soon.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
And what ever happened to the hot bearded chef David from the UK who loved to cycle?

Someone said on the vlog comments, that Stephanie was turning into a hoarder! I agree, and not even counting all the gifts she's getting every day. Those attics will end up looking like one of those charity shops real soon.
She did mention at the very beginning of the brocante vlog that she was looking for some napkins. Her mother leaves and 30 seconds later she if off for more linens.....

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I have a theory that Philippe refuses to do anything round the house unless Stephanie is following him with a camera. I doubt there is anything romantic, unless it is from his side. The way he is conveniently interested in everything she loves. A complete yes man. Has anyone heard him disagree with her yet? Who do you reckon cleaned up from their little tea party in Sunday's vlog? My bet is Marie or Nattty. Definitely not Stephanie or Philip.
Bringing her flowers in bed? Come on. I have a theory that the less we see people in the vlog, the harder they work. So Nattalia and Marie and selmar slaving away.
PS Did anyone see where Kat said she wanted to be an actress? Wouldn't surprise me..

Reactions: 11
I must say that the Marquis apartement is a bit disappointing. There's no taste at all there, only a juxtaposition of not so nice stuff.
The table for example is not that great. It is known in France as Style Henri II and was produced en masse in late 19e - early 20e.
The table came with chairs and a buffet (sideboard).
It was cheap furniture for the upper working class / petite bourgeoisie. Very popular at the time but not very valuable.
And can I say that I hate the green sofa, a recent replica ? 😂
I totally agree, that apartment is so not anything! Furniture is ugly and it all looks like an old person's dated place.

I have a theory that Philippe refuses to do anything round the house unless Stephanie is following him with a camera. I doubt there is anything romantic, unless it is from his side. The way he is conveniently interested in everything she loves. A complete yes man. Has anyone heard him disagree with her yet? Who do you reckon cleaned up from their little tea party in Sunday's vlog? My bet is Marie or Nattty. Definitely not Stephanie or Philip.
Bringing her flowers in bed? Come on. I have a theory that the less we see people in the vlog, the harder they work. So Nattalia and Marie and selmar slaving away.
PS Did anyone see where Kat said she wanted to be an actress? Wouldn't surprise me..
I just don't understand what's all the fuss about this kid Philip, I can't find anything attractive about him, he's a little creepy actually. Like he's trying too hard to be "too sexy for his shirt" hahaha

I think someone from Lalande might be reading about the cringing effect those videos have on some people, they haven't put out one in a while, no?
I take it back, they just posted a new gift vid! :( Let's get ready for over the top reactions "Oh my god, this is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life! Look mummy" (And poor mummy agrees, to keep the $$$ coming)

Last edited:
  • Haha
I totally agree, that apartment is so not anything! Furniture is ugly and it all looks like an old person's dated place.

I just don't understand what's all the fuss about this kid Philip, I can't find anything attractive about him, he's a little creepy actually. Like he's trying too hard to be "too sexy for his shirt" hahaha

I think someone from Lalande might be reading about the cringing effect those videos have on some people, they haven't put out one in a while, no?
I take it back, they just posted a new gift vid! :( Let's get ready for over the top reactions "Oh my god, this is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen in my life! Look mummy" (And poor mummy agrees, to keep the $$$ coming)
I dont understand the selmar thing, ijust dont get it... They swoon over him. I think he needs to wash his hair and wear clothes that fit him... Nope i don't get it

• Haha

Yes, great cringe factor! I’ve just watched the latest. Wow, Philippe is essentially tethered to SJ isn’t he? It is unsettling. And the tension between Selmar and Philippe surrounding their adoration for the Chatelaine is dripping off the camera. The comedy of Selmar’s face and comments over the ‘banter’ about the ‘seduction’ perfume (while Selmar is wearing the ridiculous double entendre apron) is palpable. I’m inclined to send a set of dueling pistols for them both.

And Selmar didn’t disappoint with a wonderful guffaw and eye-roll when even MORE china emerged from a well-travelled box! That outdoor trestle table area at the local brocante is going to have to be expanded . . .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Oh er......my toes were curling........plus it was the competition of the man bun.........man bun measuring ....the 21st century equivalent of “ whose got the biggest cod piece?”......

Quite liked the Chatelaine belt thingy but reckon I’ll stick with my good old Leatherman for now...

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I must admit that whilst I generally like SJ’s eclectic taste I have recently been admiring Becky from Chateau de la Ruche’s somewhat more tranquil, uncluttered style. Sometimes less is more

Reactions: 5
It seems to me that volunteers at Lalande are chosen only if they're artists, singers or actors now.
I spied on the château Facebook and look at what one fan posted about Philip...
PS It is said that Cat wants to be an actress.

Well, totally logical, for the filming of the Cadeaux Opening Stephanie can't do it with normal people (tend to have spontaneous reactions like eye roll or making comments like "appelling art").

Reactions: 4
@Pno I wondered about him. Before Selmar appeared, David was declared the big love interest by the audience. As if this is truly a soap opera. I don’t think, Stephanie would ever start something with someone she basically employs. We have a saying here: You don’t tit where you eat. I think those men are neither- interesting for her in a long term sense (because let’s face it- they life a completely different life than her and that is not just about the money) nor will she jeopardise the set up that is working extremely well. Stephanie has real friends (not employees) she mingles with and she undoubtedly will probably meet someone over this connection if she is indeed open for it. They also life a similar live style.
I am also not too sure that there is so many going on regarding romance. Stephanie is a flirt but I don’t think she takes it serious at all. That is also the same vibe I get from Philipe. @guiltypleasure209572 We have seen at least 5-7 people bringing her a breakfast tray with flowers and effort put into it over the years. Tomasz, Marie, David, Selmar, the are just those ones I remember clearly. I think André (if that was his name) and the sweet couple did it too. The Michaels Potts and Petherick definitely did.
I had a look back at her first videos and oh my. I remember why I got sucked into it. The lovely breakfasts in the kitchen, Stephanie preparing food and tackling more substantial renovation jobs than plain decorating or buying stuff. It was all so unbelievably relaxed and utterly charming. Now, everyone is so over the top. Maybe a volunteer break would do the vlogs good. It seems there is nothing else to show but shopping and volunteers. Maybe Stephanie should watch back too? The old volunteers were lovely, no doubt hard working and didn’t feel the need to appear on camera. And what happened to her sewing?

Apologies for my delayed reaction to the cringe that is Cadeaux at the Chateau. My child is teething - maybe sensing I was cringing, saved me by screeching part way through 😜🤣

Oh god - the battle of the man buns is it 🤣 couldn’t have put it better @Lululime

@ChocLili - I had to watch the parts with Selmar on from behind a cushion and tbh I’m still partially hidden recovering 🙄🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 6
On a second thought- the minute we can all travel again Stephanie will be back prancing around Europe like she did (having lunch with a friend in Bruges, to visit Ruth in Amsterdam and going to the restaurant opening of a good friend) and the volunteer relationship will decrease back to normal again. Hopefully the second the B&B and workshops (music not Brendas fan meet and greets) are possible again Stephanie will be more hands on again.

Reactions: 6
I like how Selmar comes across. He seems very genuine and has a great sense of humour, being very quick to pick up on things even though his English is quite poor still.
But Phillip - ugh. I was disappointed to read in the live chat last night that Stephanie is considering how he could stay longer. ☹.

• Wow
With the amount of framing that is going on there will be no need for insulation on the walls of Lalande! Someone in the comments even said they should put the Buddha in a box frame:unsure:.....

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.