The Chateau Diaries - Stephanie Jarvis

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ha ha I initially thought maybe all Stephanie's male fans were so upset with the vlog showing her burgeoning friendship with Philippe that they'd withdrawn their support!

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Is Patreon displaying it in euros instead of dollars now, because that would explain it.

I hope nothing develops between Phillip and Stephanie as I have to fast forward whenever he is on. I find his drippy puppy-dog manner very off-putting. But her last affair was with a toyboy so yoiks.
That is a huge drop .... I guess Patreon by its very nature will fluctuate but after an initial high climb, donations levelled off. I would imagine that sort of drop will take a while to recover: Maybe after an ETTC DIY appearance funds could climb again. I see SJ doesn’t really instagram so much anymore ... definitely a good way to remain visible & keep gaining followers.
Wouldn’t you just love to know the reasons people stop giving ? I wonder if it’s anything to do with Cadeux At The Chateau /Shopping Trips (however cheap or great the bargains) or the Luxe trip to Avignon.
it’s such a fine line to balance ..... displaying what SJ does with her own private funds and yet not being able to afford the renovations without help: the two aspects sit uncomfortably side by side, whether or not she has a non-profit set up for the charity.
I loved seeing the trip to la Mirande & the visit to Soulaiedo & SJ’s following vlog was superb, but its not easy to combine both those worlds... ie “I have little money” against “oh it’s just (another) treat/trip” . Shopping is shopping - even at Emmaeus or “ONLY A FACTORY SHOP “ 😂 . I don’t blame her. I’d find it hard not to shop there. I may do if Off-Camera but I guess then she risks a turn-coat volunteer snitching on her (the secret shopping habits of Stephanie Jarvis) It’s a catch 22 situation for her.

I wonder how the new Travel/Art channel will impact on funding for chateau lalande ? If the Patreon income falls, perhaps any loss will be off set by Ad revenue from Youtube .

It's less a question of the type of her clothes (nighties, PJ's, robe in her case) that the way she is around builders, workers etc. Being French, I've never been especially prude. As I said before, I had never noticed her robe or PJ's before this video.
But the way she was playing with the men with the digger made me feel uncomfortable.
I can understand why a 16 year-old girl does it. We all have bee teenagers.
It is more difficult, to say the least, to understand why a 45 year-old woman who wants to be a chatelaine (...!) plays this game with builders and workers
I haven't seen her doing the same with the Frenchman who organised the opera workshops at Lalande before Covid or with the marquis de Lalande when they recently visited the chateau.
A total different woman.
Once again, I don't really pay attention at her legs or flesh or whatever. It's more her attitude.
I am French and we do not easily feel mbarrassed by this sort of situation but this time it was weird.
Yes, exactly, that's the point, which I feel I've explained a million times now. It's not about the clothes, it's about the way she acts around certain men. Marie runs around without a bra and often nearly see-through white shirts, but it's just hippy-esque and cool to see her embrace her body. Marie doesn't suddenly go into full-on flirty performance mode because a few men are in the kitchen, she is the same with everyone.

Heck, I'm German, we sunbathe naked on the beach - it's not about the clothes or "policing" her outfits. You can see that Dan for instance is often a bit uncomfortable, even though he tries to play it off as a joke. It's not that great for the men either to have to deal with this, especially since they are being filmed.

Reactions: 8
I've just checked Patreon and it's still in dollars. 22.226 dollars per month.
18.810 euros per month.
A huge decrease. It won’t be easy to forward-plan for anything big (er .... The Lake) if Patreon drop out in those numbers. I note that Stephanie often mentions wanting panelling (grand salon) . Apparently some Patreons will get their names (never to be seen 😁) written on the back of the panelling, but if I were SJ I’d use funds to immediately REPAIR the structure of the chateau, d’you recall a ceiling crumbling in a tower stairwell ?) Boring but necessary & an intrinsic part of saving any building. Then go on to financing less important things. I can’t imagine why she’d even consider the panelling , which will be horrendously expensive & totally unnecessary (after all, we’re not talking Versailles standard of renovation at Chateau de Lalande) The Grand Salon already looks complete and really lovely.

May I just add, whilst I also loved those new mustard coloured chairs, Stephanie seriously needs to stop buying furniture for a while. Those chairs are crammed into the Winter Salon & if she’s not careful she will have quantity over quality. In a cost-cutting measure, she should leave Phillipe at home ... as she buys absolutely everything he likes !

• Haha
I just watched (endured) the latest Doing it Ourselves episode. Each one is getting more boring! A fly on the wall, watching internal walls being demolished, brick by brick, is a bit mind-numbing. More like background noise I guess. The most exciting thing is waiting with baited breath as to whether someone is going to get injured. Between the three of them (MP, Pa Trotter and ‘Sean’ ) we see a full set of protective gear, only any one of them is only using some of it! And please, choose the option for just a few less ads (although this is very Trotter-esque I guess).

• Haha
Reactions: 11
A huge decrease. It won’t be easy to forward-plan for anything big (er .... The Lake) if Patreon drop out in those numbers. I note that Stephanie often mentions wanting panelling (grand salon) . Apparently some Patreons will get their names (never to be seen 😁) written on the back of the panelling, but if I were SJ I’d use funds to immediately REPAIR the structure of the chateau, d’you recall a ceiling crumbling in a tower stairwell ?) Boring but necessary & an intrinsic part of saving any building. Then go on to financing less important things. I can’t imagine why she’d even consider the panelling , which will be horrendously expensive & totally unnecessary (after all, we’re not talking Versailles standard of renovation at Chateau de Lalande) The Grand Salon already looks complete and really lovely.

May I just add, whilst I also loved those new mustard coloured chairs, Stephanie seriously needs to stop buying furniture for a while. Those chairs are crammed into the Winter Salon & if she’s not careful she will have quantity over quality. In a cost-cutting measure, she should leave Phillipe at home ... as she buys absolutely everything he likes !
I love the Versailles analogy! Realistically, the fabric of the building should be on the Very Important List but I suppose it doesn't quite have the vloggable visual appeal of either the renaissance of the lake or the panelling.

The Winter Salon is now so crammed with "things" that it looks like an Alladins Cave obstacle course. The old adage "less is more" springs to mind.

Michael's vlog is known in my house as 'Only Drones and Bores'.

The Trotters are butchering the cottage and Stephanie is filling her house with bric-a-brac. Not exactly a good advertisement for British restoration and design.

Reactions: 12
I just watched (endured) the latest Doing it Ourselves episode. Each one is getting more boring! A fly on the wall, watching internal walls being demolished, brick by brick, is a bit mind-numbing. More like background noise I guess. The most exciting thing is waiting with baited breath as to whether someone is going to get injured. Between the three of them (MP, Pa Trotter and ‘Sean’ ) we see a full set of protective gear, only any one of them is only using some of it! And please, choose the option for just a few less ads (although this is very Trotter-esque I guess).
@ChocLili - we’ve both had similar experiences with watching paint dry a la Doing it ourselves this morning 🤦‍♀️ I was sat there cringing at MP knocking the bricks onto the platform he’s standing on!

Considering it’s been a while since his last upload, I expected more progress/content. He’s got a great subject in renovating the Gardeners cottage. Yet it’s all just so flat in delivery and boring.

@frenchessence it was a false alarm - it hasn't dropped! For some reason it used to show me the total in dollars but it's changed to pounds now.
Thank you for that update info ... it would have been an inexplicably huge drop on Patreon.

I love the Versailles analogy! Realistically, the fabric of the building should be on the Very Important List but I suppose it doesn't quite have the vloggable visual appeal of either the renaissance of the lake or the panelling.

The Winter Salon is now so crammed with "things" that it looks like an Alladins Cave obstacle course. The old adage "less is more" springs to mind.
@NotAChatelaine “Obstacle Course /Aladdins Cave “ 😁 Exactly ! Some of the Chateaux that are being done up (so many whose names now escape me) are being curated with a fine m, restrained eye & antiques of the correct period. Lalande is not one of these .... I love an eclectic interior too, however, if she doesn’t stop shopping at Emmaeus she’ll have more ‘junk’ in lalande than they do !
I think SJ comes from the School of Enough is Never Enough ... be it napkins, tables, sofas, pictures, plates, clothes - and PEOPLE. We’re all different - she is a collector and this is something that makes her interesting. She is a MAXIMALIST in every single way !

Last edited:
Reactions: 11
Hello all! Finally found likeminded people! I’ve watched the videos from the word go, when they were filmed in portrait and were a lot less ‘produced’ and I’ve really enjoyed them. Recently I’m getting more and more uncomfortable watching. Other half doesn’t get my ramblings as he just tells me not to watch CDs...🙄. Just so I can offload a little can I say..
- I find the present openings vulgar and greedy (Yet I still watch for the cringe factor). Gifts from companies such as Onehundredstars, Spode and all the smaller businesses are not ‘gifts’. It is free advertising.
- I cant watch the live question and answers anymore as the constant demands from fans for thanks when a donation of money has been missed is unbelievable. I also hate the hints for money especially from Michael Petherick-eg when he wanted a new laptop and him and Stephanie went on and on about his editing until a fan set up a fund for a laptop. Unbelievable. It’s blatant begging.
-The superfans really worry me. There are a couple that answer all the questions in the comments and to have that amount of knowledge about people that you don’t know is concerning. One of them lives on the other side of the world! I am surprised Isabelle hasn’t put her foot down about a lot of the recent goings on. She seems a no nonsense kind of character, not to be messed with.
-The comments about Percy needing to be at Lalande is sad. Have these people not listened to his breathing/speaking? He clearly has a lung issue and therefore moving away from the safety of where he is to a chateau where all and sundry rock up bemuses me. I wouldn’t want to be separated from my other half for this long but it’s Isabelle that should travel if and when, not Percy.
Reading all your comments is refreshing as I noticed a long time ago that anything not remotely fauning was being removed from the comments on the videos.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
Thank you for that update info ... it would have been an inexplicably huge drop on Patreon.

@NotAChatelaine “Obstacle Course /Aladdins Cave “ 😁 Exactly ! Some of the Chateaux that are being done up (so many whose names now escape me) are being curated with a fine m, restrained eye & antiques of the correct period. Lalande is not one of these .... I love an eclectic interior too, however, if she doesn’t stop shopping at Emmaeus she’ll have more ‘junk’ in lalande than they do !
I think SJ comes from the School of Enough is Never Enough ... be it napkins, tables, sofas, pictures, plates, clothes - and PEOPLE. We’re all different - she is a collector and this is something that makes her interesting. She is a MAXIMALIST in every single way !
i agree. She needs to stop putting more and more stuff in already completely furnished and decorated rooms. You just cannot but all the nice things. Not even her Chateau has enough space.
Also, her trips to the thrift shops get boring now. We all know there is great stuff to find by now. I would rather see her buying groceries again- peferably at a market. French produce and food and their mindset around it is so relaxed and indulging in a very warm and lovely way. I would love to see more of the good/cooking content brought back.
The fabric video was really interesting and nicely produced.

Just finished watching Stephanie's new video and reading the comments.
Many negative comments about hoarding and spending money just like that for a chateau already full of junk, sorry lovely pieces of furniture. Someone said that she'll be blocked by them because of her negative comments. She seems to think that that's the way they run the comments section.

Lots of comments about Philip !

I must say that the Marquis appartement is a bit disappointing. There's no taste at all there, only a juxtaposition of not so nice stuff.
The table for example is not that great. It is known in France as Style Henri II and was produced en masse in late 19e - early 20e.
The table came with chairs and a buffet (sideboard).
It was cheap furniture for the upper working class / petite bourgeoisie. Very popular at the time but not very valuable.
And can I say that I hate the green sofa, a recent replica ? 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9
What’s the matter with with Stephanie allowing her paying guests, or work away voluteers to decide which furniture /junk to buy ? Please tell me she & Phillipe are not an item !!

Reactions: 10
Just finished watching Stephanie's new video and reading the comments.
Many negative comments about hoarding and spending money just like that for a chateau already full of junk, sorry lovely pieces of furniture. Someone said that she'll be blocked by them because of her negative comments. She seems to think that that's the way they run the comments section.

Lots of comments about Philip !

I must say that the Marquis appartement is a bit disappointing. There's no taste at all there, only a juxtaposition of not so nice stuff.
The table for example is not that great. It is known in France as Style Henri II and was produced en masse in late 19e - early 20e.
The table came with chairs and a buffet (sideboard).
It was cheap furniture for the upper working class / petite bourgeoisie. Very popular at the time but not very valuable.
And can I say that I hate the green sofa, a recent replica ? 😂
The furniture in the sitting room of the Marquis apartment is borderline hideous.

And what's with a "volunteer" seeming to be in charge of choosing and arranging furniture?

(Videographer Steve appears to have been demoted to role of furniture carrier.)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Yes the furniture in the Marquis sitting room looks like it's been dumped in there without much thought. The sofa and chairs look so uncomfortable! I would be pretty disappointed if I'd rented it out for a holiday.

I went back and looked at the footage of the Marquis apartment in the chateau tour videos from a few months ago and Stephanie says they were planning to redecorate the sitting room but it had been delayed due to lockdown. The bedroom looks great, not the style I'd have in my own house but it fits the time period of that part of the building and would be fun for a few days' stay.

Also agree that the brocante shopping trips are getting very repetitive and boring. I think she would do well to decrease the number and length of videos per week to improve quality and content. It would make their day to day life more pleasant too without having to film everything to try and get decent content.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.